• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up Zelda Twilight Princess review

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Magicpaint said:
There are legitimate reasons to prefer MM and OOT over WW. It's not necessarily nostlagia in this case.

The Triforce quest and overall lacking dungeon designs (relatively speaking) should explain some of it. Plus how you get two important items without doing anything, there are just signs that the game is rush and unfinished in comparison. Oh and dull sea faring.

Mind you, I also prefer WW to OOT.

it's a good enough game to overlook the fact that it was rushed.
i think there are arguments to be made that majora's mask could have used some fine-tuning of its own, as well.

thankfully, tp is the opposite of rushed.

beelzebozo said:
it's a good enough game to overlook the fact that it was rushed.
i think there are arguments to be made that majora's mask could have used some fine-tuning of its own, as well.

thankfully, tp is the opposite of rushed.

Yes, MM has its problems too, the save system for example and also one could argue that the time thing isn't for everybody. But it's still a more polished and better executed game than WW.

Zweisy1

Yes, MM has its problems too, the save system for example and also one could argue that the time thing isn't for everybody. But it's still a more polished and better executed game than WW.

Not to mention Majora's Mask had the best dungeons in a 3D Zelda yet.. Hopefully Twilight Princess can outdo it though. All in all Majora's Mask was a really fresh experience and my favourite N64 game.

Zweisy1 said:
Not to mention Majora's Mask had the best dungeons in a 3D Zelda yet.. Hopefully Twilight Princess can outdo it though. All in all Majora's Mask was a really fresh experience and my favourite N64 game.

Holy crap if I played a dungeon in TP better than Stone Tower (MM is also my favourite N64 game)!! Reviews seem to imply that I would.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Master Quest of OoT still holds the top spot for best Zelda dungeons in 3D. The remixes were cunning, devious, and prioritized tool use far moreso than the somewhat expected manner that the original incarnations did. Holy crap at the challenge of figuring through the desert temple.

Leatherface

Mr. TV Goggles said:
pokekid.gif

:lol

This is exactly how I feel bwahahaha... I have returned to a sniveling childish fanboy in the wink of an eye. Kill me quickly GAF! :lol

Magicpaint said:

Wind Waker had its problems but it was sure wasnt a worse game than Majora's Mask.

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
There are legitimate reasons to prefer MM and OOT over WW. It's not necessarily nostlagia in this case.

The Triforce quest and overall lacking dungeon designs (relatively speaking) should explain some of it. Plus how you get two important items without doing anything, there are just signs that the game is rush and unfinished in comparison. Oh and dull sea faring.

Mind you, I also prefer WW to OOT.

For me personally, the improvements in WW at the very least make it an equal; for its shortcomings in areas like amount of dungeons and difficulty, it improves in control, camera, visuals, fluidity, etc are all integral leaps that just put it substantially ahead of its predecessors in my view.

However, OoT and MM aren't bad games, oh no... their brilliant dungeon designs make up for its many shortcomings (in the face of modern games particularly). But, for me, the nostalgia gave me whiplash... I couldn't believe just what pedestal I put these games, because I was always pretty harsh to Wind Waker :p

gamergirly said:
Wind Waker had its problems but it was sure wasnt a worse game than Majora's Mask.

I think it is. The puzzles were mostly recycled, the sailing was dull, there wasn't too much exploratory incentives and the side-quests don't even come close to matching the quality, execution and memorability of those in Majora's Mask. The soundtrack wasn't as good, too. WW has its advantages, but Majora's Mask is not only a far more innovative game, it's also better executed.

EktorPR

Magicpaint said:
I think it is. The puzzles were mostly recycled, the sailing was dull, there wasn't too much exploratory incentives and the side-quests don't even come close to matching the quality, execution and memorability of those in Majora's Mask. The soundtrack wasn't as good, too. WW has its advantages, but Majora's Mask is not only a far more innovative game, it's also better executed.

Agreed. And...

__Andrea__ said:
Majora's Mask was MUCH MORE original than WW... WW was a good game, but I think MM > WW

Oh yes, ****ing Agreed.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
1up said:
DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE REVIEW (and if you haven't read the review, wtf, why not? btw, DON'T READ THE REVIEW)
zora's domain
****dammit! This is like the biggest spoiler I've heard yet about the game and it's right ****ing there, unspoilered, in the review!

Instintively I knew it would be in the game, but I wanted to savor the surprise :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
Dina said:
I don't hate the games
And I stopped reading right there because that means my comment doesn't apply to you, so why are you responding to it? Do you people just glaze over the word "hate" or something?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Ford Prefect said:
****dammit! This is like the biggest spoiler I've heard yet about the game and it's right ****ing there, unspoilered, in the review!

Instintively I knew it would be in the game, but I wanted to savor the surprise :(
Thanks for showing it to everyone eejit!

Xdrive05

Ford Prefect said:

Exactly. I stumbled across the instruction manual pick which kind of gives that away, but we knew it would be there anyway. Would've been nice to happen across it unspoiled in the game though.

I think that's about the only thing that's been ruined for me so far.

Unison

Ford Prefect said:

Jesus. You just spoiled me. Jerk. >:|

Ford Prefect said:

Someone please ban this idiot

Maridia

Ford Prefect said:

Mother****er!

castle007

Banned
Ford Prefect said:

**** you

**** you

please ban this guy

bud

Ford Prefect said:

suicide4ra.gif

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
lol guys, I would have assumed in a five page thread about the (supposedly spoiler-free) review giving the game a perfect score, most people would have actually read the review entirely posted on the first page, but I guess I was wrong. Never assume when it comes to Zelda fans!

I apologize and will edit the post.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ford Prefect said:
lol guys, I would have assumed in a five page thread about the (supposedly spoiler-free) review giving the game a perfect score, most people would have actually read the review, but I guess I was wrong. Never assume when it comes to Zelda fans!

I apologize and will edit the post.

someone had already posted the review text with spoiler tags inserted.

Maridia

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, see, but now we have like 7 'hasty' posters who quoted the spoiler along with their own post. Unless all of them edit, which is unlikely, someone's going to bump into it.

None of us quoted the spoiler. Not one.

SantaC

I can't wait (or yes I can) to hear Luke's rant on this game. I mean it is not that he could accept the fact that Nintendo made a killerapp.

levious

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, see, but now we have like 7 'hasty' posters who quoted the spoiler along with their own post. Unless all of them edit, which is unlikely, someone's going to bump into it.

??

I don't understand, they only quoted what Ford wrote, not the spoiler itself?

levious

Ford Prefect said:
that spoiler wasn't tagged, that's my point

again, sorry

I feel bad :(

oh my bad...

Don't worry too much, it's not like you were doing something intentional. Most likely it's early on relative to the full length of the game.

Unison

Pureauthor said:

What?

No. Just No.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Really, I still find it hard to believe that you guys didn't read the review quoted on the first page, considering both the fact that it came with a surprising and interesting score AND that the quoter spoilered other sections of the review, thus implying that the rest of the review had no more spoilers. Also, I posted that before reading the rest of the thread and noticing that no one else had brought it up :(

Again, sorry... I deserve a humiliating tag for this. Oh, wait!

NME

:Motorbass said:
You run around naked?

Not nearly as often as I'd like to.

beelzebozo said:
welcome to the wind waker party!
i've been playing it on and off for about a week now, taking my time and just enjoying the experience again. school has been almost like a good moderator of my game play; it lets me slowly work my way through, giving me plenty of time in-between sessions to just think about the game and digest it.
underrated and misunderstood game.

Why thank you. It's funny, too, because prior to Wind Waker's release, I wagered with a few people that Wind Waker would be the highest rated Zelda game to date. I was wrong, but not by much. And then of course I barely played any of it, which is more a testament to my lack of game playing around the game's release. But enough about me...

Amir0x said:
:bow:

I played through Wind Waker (and Ocarina and Majora) during the summer in preparation for Twilight Princess, and it was a revelatory experience because once again it reaffirmed that nostalgia is a bitch. Wind Waker is better in so many ways to its predecessors, and I could never go back to archaic N64 camera control.

You'll have fun, I had more fun with Wind Waker on the summer playthrough then I did before :D

I hope so! I've very much looking forward to it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wanted to know the score, but I didn't read the review because I'm trying to remain as spoiler-free as I can. That said, I'm not really as upset as others here seem to be, since it's not really a big plot point or even anything all that specific.

sharkie

Ford Prefect said:
Really, I still find it hard to believe that you guys didn't read the review quoted on the first page, considering both the fact that it came with a surprising and interesting score AND that the quoter spoilered other sections of the review, thus implying that the rest of the review had no more spoilers. Also, I posted that before reading the rest of the thread and noticing that no one else had brought it up :(

Again, sorry... I deserve a humiliating tag for this. Oh, wait!

I unfortunately clicked the end of the thread for peoples views on the review not to read it myself because most reviews will obviously ruin a few surprises such as the one you mentioned, man I understand and accept the apology but boy was it a stupid thing to do.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
For me personally, the improvements in WW at the very least make it an equal; for its shortcomings in areas like amount of dungeons and difficulty, it improves in control, camera, visuals, fluidity, etc are all integral leaps that just put it substantially ahead of its predecessors in my view.

However, OoT and MM aren't bad games, oh no... their brilliant dungeon designs make up for its many shortcomings (in the face of modern games particularly). But, for me, the nostalgia gave me whiplash... I couldn't believe just what pedestal I put these games, because I was always pretty harsh to Wind Waker :p

this is the first time i've agreed you in months, and i wanted to mark the occasion.

ziran

wow! surprised it received a 10 from parish, especially since he doesn't seem to be a huge zelda fan.

the thing which really speaks to me is his mention of a link to the past, which is one of the greatest videogames ever made imo. from the sounds of it, the way alttp is 2d zelda perfection, twilight princess with wii controls is 3d zelda perfection, which is an incredibly, awesome thought!

the review tells a nice yarn too.

from all the reviews i've read so far, twilight princess sounds like it's everything i'm expecting it to be, and, much, much, MUCH, more! :D

Top Bottom