• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up Zelda Twilight Princess review

Dilemma

BrandNew said:
I'm afraid of Luke's comments about the game. :/

In the end, Luke and Shane are both reasonable guys. I suspect Luke will swallow his pride and admit he underestimated the Wii controls after playing Wii TP for a couple of hours.

BlindN-Fan said:
How long today though? Its 9:47 Aussie..when do you think it will hit.
Hmmmm.... Considering Matt will probably want this to be the major update for Friday, I'd guess anywhere from 5 to 8 PM (PST).

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
This is actually a well-written review from 1UP, and a fantastic score given how harsh Parish scores games (not a bad thing imo).

Jiggy37 said:
So he compares it to the best Zelda ever (LttP), which wins points with me, and says that Ocarina of Time never clicked for him, which also wins points with me, and says that he was worried about Twilight Princess being the spiritual successor to OoT, which further wins points with me

he basically summed up my experiences with Zelda and feelings about TP.

Jiggy37 said:
but then he throws it all to pieces when he says he was bored for the first five hours--and yet the game still gets a 10/10. I don't understand. If five hours of a sixty-hour game are "soporific," it's not a 10/10--unless you're using the "7-7.5 is average" scale (as I would and do), which 1-Up and Parish himself clearly don't.

he fully explained why the game is a 10/10. Not many other reviews have complained about the first 5 hours either, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind that kind of introduction to the game world considering its stupifying size and scope.

the true travesty is 1UP's score and complaints about TC:SO. The controls looked ****ing perfect in IGN's videos

watership

Sigh, I wish I enjoyed Zelda games. Everyone freaks over them and I feel just left out. So I guess you play a guy name link, who will eventually wear a green tunic, have to quest for the master sword, again, and then meet up with a Princess Zelda, and fight some bad guy named Ganon, yet, this link is a new link who hasn't already done that before. Yet this is a new and inovative game with a great story?

Can someone explain any of this to me?

MrSardonic

watership said:
Sigh, I wish I enjoyed Zelda games. Everyone freaks over them and I feel just left out. So I guess you play a guy name link, who will eventually wear a green tunic, have to quest for the master sword, again, and then meet up with a Princess Zelda, and fight some bad guy named Ganon, yet, this link is a new link who hasn't already done that before. Yet this is a new and inovative game with a great story?

awesome, thanks for joining, your contribution was sterling. Highly recommended GAFer. Would read again. A++++++

watership said:

WHAT

medrew

watership said:

And, yet, I notice you've been interested in Resistance and fawning over it when it pretty much describes the game you've noted above.

watership

Woah, Nice shooting Tex. Ladies, you don't have to freak too much, I was just asking why they can't just go in a different direction with the Zelda series. Its proven it can have new elements and ideas, so why not drop the Zelda/Ganon/Master Sword commonality from the series?

AniHawk

medrew said:
And, yet, I notice you've been interested in Resistance and fawning over it when it pretty much describes the game you've noted above.

Shooting people in a post-apocalyptic world or hellish nightmare setting has never been done before though.

watership

medrew said:

And Resistance is the the next game in what series?

watership said:
Woah, Nice shooting Tex. Ladies, you don't have to freak too much, I was just asking why they can't just go in a different direction with the Zelda series. Its proven it can have new elements and ideas, so why not drop the Zelda/Ganon/Master Sword commonality from the series?
Obviously you've played Majora's Mask.

AniHawk

watership said:

They do that. A lot. Zelda 2, LA, MM, Seasons, Ages, Minish Cap, etc.

watership said:

Please, go and play more of the series before spouting crap.

watership

AniHawk said:
Shooting people in a post-apocalyptic world or hellish nightmare setting has never been done before though.

I'm not talking about the genre, I'm talking about the specific series. More specifically, That its not a sequel, but a new link, a new zelda, a new story, yet all the same motifs.

watership

Magicpaint said:
Please, go and play more of the series before spouting crap.

How about TALKING about it with me and discussing it with me, rather than tell me i'm full of crap?

Edit: Okay, this didn't go the way I intended. Guys, I guess my post came across as "Zelda sucks" rather than opening up a discussion about the merits of the games. I withdraw my comments. Apologies and Carry on.

AniHawk

watership said:
I'm not talking about the genre, I'm talking about the specific series. More specifically, That its not a sequel, but a new link, a new zelda, a new story, yet all the same motifs.

Twilight Princess is a sequel, sparky. Where it's placed in the series is partly why everyone's so excited for this one in particular (myself included).

1up-100.gif
pokekid.gif

MrSardonic

watership said:

and why not remove 007, the evil villain, and MI6 from the James Bonds films!

please stop trolling this thread.

watership said:
How about TALKING about it with me and discussing it with me, rather than tell me i'm full of crap?

Oh, so I should spoil Majora's Mask, Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Zelda 2, Four Swords Adventures etc for you? No, I'd rather not. Instead, I'd say you go play them yourself and see for yourself how ridiculous that comment you made was.

medrew

watership said:
And Resistance is the the next game in what series?

oh, so it's a 'homage' now. Cute.
Whether or not a game is part of a series has nothing to do with how it compares in gameplay and story to previous games. Resistance can be described as a spiritual successor to games in its genre, there is no point of seperation.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OK, so Parish is cool now? Or are we still supposed to hate him for the Yoshi's Island DS score? I haven't been keeping up. :(

kruskev

Martoo said:
Sweet Jesus on a stick. What the **** is going on in that gif. I'm drunk and fully spun out by it.

The kid opens a new pack of pokemon cards and findsa rare card and freaks out.

AniHawk

Kiriku said:
OK, so Parish is cool now? Or are we still supposed to hate him for the Yoshi's Island DS score? I haven't been keeping up. :(

Hate him for hating EEE, UGNG, and YI2. Love him for loving TP and EBA.

teiresias

kruskev said:
The kid opens a new pack of pokemon cards and findsa rare card and freaks out.

video? Looks like it could top the N64 kid.

Oh, not that I disagree with the score, but for a site that proclaims at the top of their lungs that their 5 is the new 7 (or 8 or whatever), they sure have been handing out the 10's rather liberally lately.

NME

So being that I am one of those unfortunate folks who is going to play this on Gamecube instead of Wii as the lord intended, I think I'm going to play through Wind Waker in preparation for the new Zelda goodness.

...and because I never finished Wind Waker.

Dina

teiresias said:
video? Looks like it could top the N64 kid.

Oh, not that I disagree with the score, but for a site that proclaims at the top of their lungs that their 5 is the new 7 (or 8 or whatever), they sure have been handing out the 10's rather liberally lately.

I was thinking the same. Dunno if it's funny or sad that there's supposedly more then one of them freaky kids.

Link said:
There are some bitter pricks in this thread. Can you spot them?

Anyone that hates on Zelda shouldn't be playing videogames.

I don't hate the games but I usually don't adore em either. I'm kind of oblivious to them, and thus not anticipating this game. Not everyone has the same taste.

Then again, looking at both your username and your avatar, I can guess in which camp you reside.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NME said:
So being that I am one of those unfortunate folks who is going to play this on Gamecube instead of Wii as the lord intended, I think I'm going to play through Wind Waker in preparation for the new Zelda goodness.

welcome to the wind waker party!
i've been playing it on and off for about a week now, taking my time and just enjoying the experience again. school has been almost like a good moderator of my game play; it lets me slowly work my way through, giving me plenty of time in-between sessions to just think about the game and digest it.
underrated and misunderstood game.

Zweisy1

Nice. Was expecting a lower score from 1up to be honest.. Everything about the game sounds absolutely amazing.

Wii seems to be the only console in a LONG time with an AAA killer app right at launch.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dina said:
I was thinking the same. Dunno if it's funny or sad that there's supposedly more then one of them freaky kids.

I don't hate the games but I usually don't adore em either. I'm kind of oblivious to them, and thus not anticipating this game. Not everyone has the same taste.

Then again, looking at both your username and your avatar, I can guess in which camp you reside.

Dina your crazy ;)

Snaku

Banned
10up strikes again! :lol

Great review, and it's just making these last few remaining hours unbearable. I need Zelda!

Amir0x

Banned
NME said:

:bow:

I played through Wind Waker (and Ocarina and Majora) during the summer in preparation for Twilight Princess, and it was a revelatory experience because once again it reaffirmed that nostalgia is a bitch. Wind Waker is better in so many ways to its predecessors, and I could never go back to archaic N64 camera control.

You'll have fun, I had more fun with Wind Waker on the summer playthrough then I did before :D

it's Jeremy Parish!! his reviews are null and void

yeah, TP is a great game. But I will never take any advice from Jeremy Parish, ever.

Amir0x said:
:bow:

I played through Wind Waker (and Ocarina and Majora) during the summer in preparation for Twilight Princess, and it was a revelatory experience because once again it reaffirmed that nostalgia is a bitch. Wind Waker is better in so many ways to its predecessors, and I could never go back to archaic N64 camera control.

You'll have fun, I had more fun with Wind Waker on the summer playthrough then I did before :D

There are legitimate reasons to prefer MM and OOT over WW. It's not necessarily nostlagia in this case.

The Triforce quest and overall lacking dungeon designs (relatively speaking) should explain some of it. Plus how you get two important items without doing anything, there are just signs that the game is rush and unfinished in comparison. Oh and dull sea faring.

Mind you, I also prefer WW to OOT.

Top Bottom