• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[2014] Xbox One Indie Parity Clause impacting number of announcements for system

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You should probably assume it's timed. Why wouldn't they be advertising its exclusivity? Sony recently said they try to be very clear with exclusive labels so as not to confuse.

No I assume it is timed, I am unsure about the "indie" status of the team/game at this point.

It's nonsense. We already have TONS of devs on the record saying they're never bringing their games to XBO; we have hundreds more devs announced for PS4 development and not XBO development. We have tons of games already that are on PS4 and have not been announced for XBO and by all accounts never will be.

It's wishful thinking at this point on your part to try to say "most of them are coming to XBO." They can't, due to the ID@Xbox Parity clause. Phil Spencer has to make "special exceptions", and so far he's only made a few! That's the whole point!

They are factually losing revenue. They are factually hurting XBO gamers. They are factually hurting indie devs. It's time for Phil Spencer to move the fuck on, embarrassing already.

Developers like JAW who were pretty clear about their game never coming to X1 until they announced it was?

And of course they can still come to the X1. Spencer will just continue to make exception after exception. Just like he did for Outlast, Contrast, Stick to the Man, etc. We can argue he's only made a few, but the point is that as soon as a developer approaches him asking for one, he'll say yes.

Developers won't be able to ignore a console that will eventually have a 20m+ install base. Now is the time to apply pressure as the X1 is still struggling to hit its stride. You force a company to change when it's on the ropes, not when it's in a position of power.

They are essentially having their cake and eating it right now. Waiting for developers to come to them rather than dropping the clause as they know they can just give any developer they want an exception and still eventually get the game on their platform.

Conduit

Banned
Even if MS or i should say, Phil Spencer remove parity clause, damage for indies are already done on Xbone. Indie developer will choose PS4 over Xbone first when they have a choice.

muleth

Banned
they're coming to other platforms, they repeatedly said so. They just said they won't work on other versions until the PS4 version is done (that includes PC). Almost certain Lord Phil Spencer will make an exception for it.

That's their word!

I'm sure "never" will become "tomorrow" if Microsoft removes this fucked up clause.

what is with the lord Phil stuff?, they obviously have some data to back them up on the policy and they clearly are willing to changes things when it is hurting them financially. if the math works in their favor using this method, they will keep at it.

They need to actually pay indie devs first, lol.

But yeah the parity clause is a shit idea. Hope its causing them to miss out on content until they fix it.

Pranay

Its amazing how people devalue the ps4, by saying i already have "a xbox one and a pc" and "wii u and a pc" so i dont care about this

Aeqvitas

An interesting post, and I agree in general that the parity clause is hurting more than it is helping.

However I recall in one of the Phil Spencer interviews that he said that they would work with indie devs who could show they had financial reasons why it is impracticable to release on XB1 at the same time, and that is why we have already seen games like contrast, etc come out later. OP did not really discuss this. It seems reasonable to me if true.

It didn't sound like OP was even willing to try, which suggests to me that maybe OP doesn't actually have a financial reason not to release both at the same time. Or if OP does, then I think at a minimum OP should be willing to pick up a phone over leaving money on the table.

I am not saying the clause isn't partly at fault in OP's position, but OP has some blame as well. Is it impossible for OP to pick a different engine, that wouldn't have involved sitting on the free XB1 dev kit for 6 months? Can OP demonstrate while it is financially impossible to release both at once? Is OP more interested in getting free attention by blaming the parity clause?

I know asking these questions will likely only draw fire, but I think people need to look critically at all sides of issues like this before jumping on the easy bandwagon.

I personally think, based off OP's claims, that MS's best option is to allow indie devs to buy dev kits and release whenever they want. If a dev wants a free dev kit, then they should be willing to agree to a parity clause. I think most people should agree that it seems wrong for indie devs to get free dev kits, then choose to give the other platform preferential treatment when they don't have a demonstrable financial inability to release on both at once.

You should probably assume it's timed. Why wouldn't they be advertising its exclusivity? Sony recently said they try to be very clear with exclusive labels so as not to confuse.

The difference is that Sony locked exclusivity of games like Grim and SFV,so they can officially put it out there that they're exclusive.

OTOH, a lot of games only has them agreeing to debut on PS4 first. Presumably there's no binding contract preventing an XB1 SKU after the PS4 version is launched.

However, that doesn't guarantee an XB1 port will actually happen. Transistor was announced as a console debut,and up till now it's not announced for XB1 but rather for Vita.

It's always been ridiculous when people say the PS4 has no games.

The Xbox One having "better" games is opinion.

The PS4 having more games is fact.

You could say this about the Wii U too but then everyone just goes and shits on its library because " No AAA Western 3rd party games" " Small library of quality exclusives blah blah blah" focusing on what the machine doesnt have instead of the fact that it actually has quite a lot of games released on it.

Then again people never look things up before they open their mouths.

Massa

I love how every time I post anything jokingly against the PS4 on here I get quoted 8 times with a "NUH UH! YOU!" response.

Relax, guys. Let's not pretend like Sony didn't just host a major event showcasing Playstation stuff. I mean ffs one of the posters above me just commented how nothing shown at the event was announced for Xbox as well. Its a Playstation event!

So I'll just go ahead and parrot what everyone else has been saying for months, blah blah parity clause is evil and has to go, blah blah.

Maybe if you'd read the OP instead of trolling you'd see that point has already been addressed.

what is with the lord Phil stuff?, they obviously have some data to back them up on the policy and they clearly are willing to changes things when it is hurting them financially.

Because Phil is the Lord and Savior of the Xbone, remember the "Phil Spencer Effect" thread?

Nzyme32

Great read OP. I hope he does respond with something meaningful for you and everyone else. Seems like getting rid of the parity clause would be the best thing for everyone

Developers like JAW who were pretty clear about their game never coming to X1 until they announced it was?

And of course they can still come to the X1. Spencer will just continue to make exception after exception. Just like he did for Outlast, Contrast, Stick to the Man, etc. We can argue he's only made a few, but the point is that as soon as a developer approaches him asking for one, he'll say yes.

Developers won't be able to ignore a console that will eventually have a 20m+ install base. Now is the time to apply pressure as the X1 is still struggling to hit its stride. You force a company to change when it's on the ropes, not when it's in a position of power.

They are essentially having their cake and eating it right now. Waiting for developers to come to them rather than dropping the clause as they know they can just give any developer they want an exception and still eventually get the game on their platform.

There was an easy get-out of the parity clause if you'd already signed a deal with Sony, which those 3 games (all PS+ you'll notice...) and others had.

That doesn't explain stuff like PurePool and Blue Estate released on or still coming to Xbox One when they weren't in that time frame but are still coming.

Also, in the OP I've asked Curve to confirm but their games are ID@Xbox, they're listed as such on the dashboard (for Thomas Was Alone) and I don't think OlliOlli would be any different to that.

I look at this from a perspective of someone owning a Xbox One and PC who is waiting for the right time to pick up a PS4. I'm not saying my situation is exactly common to the normal person.

That's off topic though. I own a ps4 xbox one and pc but that is not the purpose of this topic. A game being on pc for a penny doesn't help xbox one owners in the slightest.

there are many who do have both but don't like playing on pc or prefer to chill on the couch and play on the big screen. That's me.

so once again. Game on pc for penny does not help xbox one.

this is a good topic and highlights that this police is hurting xbox one.

again... not you personally...Xbox one.

Thorgal

I love how every time I post anything jokingly against the PS4 on here I get quoted 8 times with a "NUH UH! YOU!" response.

Relax, guys. Let's not pretend like Sony didn't just host a major event showcasing Playstation stuff. I mean ffs one of the posters above me just commented how nothing shown at the event was announced for Xbox as well. Its a Playstation event!

So I'll just go ahead and parrot what everyone else has been saying for months, blah blah parity clause is evil and has to go, blah blah.

If that post was supposed to be a joke ..
i am not laughing .

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Uh huh, I'm almost certain you weren't 'jokingly' anything, this smells more like a back-down.

i actually was looking for the "Ban" sound file.

I heard about the rule from microsoft and have to say this is pretty big bullsh... they would never do that to the bug publishers. why to the small ones? some of them will grow and maybe someday be the next bioware or something like that and they will only have negative thoughts of microsoft.

that makes absolutely no sense..

Razlo

Of course that assumes as an Xbone gamer you'd only want the few games that are given an exception. I know that's not good enough for me.

Game4life

Banned
One less indie title means 1 more chance of retail games for gold

I'm happy about this, I can't be the only the one who doesn't give indie games my time of day, even the games for gold titles I don't download

Yeah Games for gold titles have so far been riveting masterpieces because of this clause. Oh wait....

*Splinter

You didn't read the op, and now you're responding to posts that don't exist.

How about instead of the sarcastic parroting you state your position and why you think the parity cause isn't a problem?

There was an easy get-out of the parity clause if you'd already signed a deal with Sony, which those 3 games (all PS+ you'll notice...) and others had.

That doesn't explain stuff like PurePool and Blue Estate released on or still coming to Xbox One when they weren't in that time frame but are still coming.

Also, in the OP I've asked Curve to confirm but their games are ID@Xbox, they're listed as such on the dashboard (for Thomas Was Alone) and I don't think OlliOlli would be any different to that.

That's what gets me angry. That there are get outs, etc for a clause that shouldn't even exist. If it's so easy to bypass, why not just drop it? It's literally only there to make sure they can screw the really little guys, the ones who can't ask for exceptions or make use of the easy bypasses/get outs.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I am not saying the clause isn't partly at fault in OP's position, but OP has some blame as well. Is it impossible for OP to pick a different engine, that wouldn't have involved sitting on the free XB1 dev kit for 6 months? Can OP demonstrate while it is financially impossible to release both at once? Is OP more interested in getting free attention by blaming the parity clause?

I know asking these questions will likely only draw fire, but I think people need to look critically at all sides of issues like this before jumping on the easy bandwagon.

I personally think, based off OP's claims, that MS's best option is to allow indie devs to buy dev kits and release whenever they want. If a dev wants a free dev kit, then they should be willing to agree to a parity clause. I think most people should agree that it seems wrong for indie devs to get free dev kits, then choose to give the other platform preferential treatment when they don't have a demonstrable financial inability to release on both at once.

I've used the same engine for 12 years. I'm not about to learn a whole new codebase and platform and port my game to an entirely new development system just to get around the release clause. That's almost impossible.

Financially it's very possible to release on both at once, for myself anyways since I'm the sole programmer, but the amount of time and stress that would go into something like that would be insane. Heck, I just released an expansion pack for my last game on Steam and it was stressful beyond belief for many different reasons. And that's on the easiest platform to develop for.

Finally, I'm not interested in getting free attention. If I was I'd probably say who I actually was or the games I've developed or planning to develop on consoles. That's not really needed or necessary for the original post.

It really is amazing how things have switched around between Sony and MS this gen. It used to be that the 360 got all the great indie games because of the strong backing MS would give them, but now it's just like they couldn't give two fucks. They're so busy trying to catch up with Sony that they're not realising stupid policies like this are hurting them.

And people keep claiming and claiming the PS4 ha no games.

But don't forget that indie games don't count!

Amir0x

Banned
And of course they can still come to the X1. Spencer will just continue to make exception after exception. Just like he did for Outlast, Contrast, Stick to the Man, etc.

So your entire argument is "Well phil spencer will just always make exceptions, because I trust the lovable man", even when that is demonstrably false and the number of exclusive indie titles on PS4 grow literally every day? How quaint.

There's already reams of indies on PS4 that are not coming to XBO. Where are the XBO exceptions? Oh right, they're not coming.

Miles Quaritch said:
Developers won't be able to ignore a console that will eventually have a 20m+ install base.

Of course they will, because many, many indies don't actually have a choice. Because a huge amount of indies are so tiny, they have to make hard choices about which platform to come to first. And with Sony being as open as they are, the choice is extremely easy at this point.

And then these indies come up against ID@Xbox parity clause, time and time again. And Phil Spencer has NOT made exceptions for every game, which is why we have literally a metric fuckton of indies simply never coming to XBO.

And that's the reality. You can pray at whatever altar serves your needs, it's not going to change the landscape. Just compare the list of developers who have confirmed they're working on games for each respective indie platform. The gulf is comically large.

You think they're all waiting to announce their support for XBO tomorrow or some shit? The illustrious Phil Spencer got some plan with them? Of course not.

Just like almost every indie dev that has gone no the record, they know it's fucked up.

Microsoft is losing revenue for it, indie devs and XBO gamers are being hurt for it. Really is the end of the story until Spencer changes his daft policy.

We can argue he's only made a few, but the point is that as soon as a developer approaches him asking for one, he'll say yes.

And this conjecture is tales from thin air, right? Because he hasn't done that. And the results are clear.

Pranay

Goes every which way. Everything gets devalued equally here.

PS4 and Sony have made really great efforts on being indie friendly and listening to fans and getting the games on PS4.

On a one to one basic, PS4 has done better then Xbone interms of indie and wii u interms third party

47 games is a shit ton. I actually still don't understand why the parity clause is actually a thing. What benefit does Microsoft says it gives? Is it to make games come out on the X1 first?

Right now PS4 has a bigger library of games and MS should be scrambling to fix that.

I'm amazed that with all the effort MS have made to push the Xbox after it's poor start in comparison to the PS4 they are so stubborn with this parity clause. It's not doing them any favours and the amount of games the PS4 is getting just shows it. I feel sorry for all of you Xbox owners that are having to put up with this. Hopefully Spencer will see how this is hurting them and will stop this parity bs.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One less indie title means 1 more chance of retail games for gold

I'm happy about this, I can't be the only the one who doesn't give indie games my time of day, even the games for gold titles I don't download

I'm sure getting Red Faction Guerrilla free is better than getting 50 potentially awesome indie games.

Kar

That's what gets me angry. That there are get outs, etc for a clause that shouldn't even exist. If it's so easy to bypass, why not just drop it? It's literally only there to make sure they can screw the really little guys, the ones who can't ask for exceptions or make use of the easy bypasses/get outs.
Maybe its not that easy..

cakely

Great thread, Chubs! It's informative enough that I think we can safely call it journalism.

The ID@Xbox parity clause, like the pack-in Kinect, is clearly an awful idea and I suspect it will meet the same fate: It will be defended by Microsoft to the bitter end and then it will be unceremoniously dropped.

NickFire

Parity clause is only hurting the Xbox only gamers. Really does need to go. Considering how much data a company colelcts, I'm guessing MS is scared letting it go will lead to indie devs publically justifying PS4 development first for technical reasons unflattering to design decisions.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Even if MS or i should say, Phil Spencer remove parity clause, damage for indies are already done on Xbone. Indie developer will choose PS4 over Xbone first when they have a choice.

This has nothing to do with damages and everything to do with the PS4 having a larger market share.

I still don't understand how most of this thread seems to ignore that this data would be no different if this parity clause didn't exist.

You don't announce a game for a platform you can't afford to develop for so even without the clause they wouldn't have announced a Xbox One version until they could confirm that it was a sure thing it was coming.

When you're a small studio you're going to cater more towards the market with more potential sales. If the market share was switched Microsoft would have the most Indies announced for their system than Sony no matter the existence of the parity clause.

The bigger problem here is that the parity clause prevents these studios that have announced Indies on PS4 from launching on Xbox One afterwards without specific permission from Microsoft.

They need to get rid of the parity clause and instead have a incentive that increases their profit on Xbox One to the point of making the market share advantage irrelevant.

hohoXD123

Phil has paid lip service to this issue and yet did nothing. He doesn't care.

They supposedly didn't care about a lot of things which they later reversed. Once they realise how many games they're missing out on, and once more developers like chubigans speak up about it, I don't think this parity clause will be around for much longer.

Well, it was a loophole with a very limited timeframe on it and its been closed now for obvious reasons but yeh, either way i'd like it to go.

I don't feel like I lack games on Xbox One, and I do have a capable PC of playing all these games but if I were to play most of them i'd rather do it on my primary platform and not everyone has my situation.

More games on XB1 is never going to be a bad thing for Microsoft or Xbox One owners, more chances of people spending their dollar... etc etc.

hawk2025

I can see MS side on this issue. With everything else they stacked against themselves, they don't want to be seen as getting 'leftovers'. Sucks for small devs, but as a matter of principal I rarely buy games previously released on other systems. 1) the hype energy is 0. 2) they're usually bad ports handed to outsourced devs for a cash grab. From sales history people rarely buy them anyway.

People are really happy about getting Super Time Force and Shovel Knight on the PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It just seems to me like every Day a new indie is announced for PS4. Its impressive!

So your entire argument is "Well phil spencer will just always make exceptions, because I trust the lovable man", even when that is demonstrably false and the number of exclusive indie titles on PS4 grow literally every day? How quaint.

There's already reams of indies on PS4 that are not coming to XBO. Where are the XBO exceptions? Oh right, they're not coming.

Of course they will, because many, many indies don't actually have a choice. Because a huge amount of indies are so tiny, they have to make hard choices about which platform to come to first. And with Sony being as open as they are, the choice is extremely easy at this point.

And then these indies come up against ID@Xbox parity clause, time and time again. And Phil Spencer has NOT made exceptions for every game, which is why we have literally a metric fuckton of indies simply never coming to XBO.

And that's the reality. You can pray at whatever altar serves your needs, it's not going to change the landscape. Just compare the list of developers who have confirmed they're working on games for each respective indie platform. The gulf is comically large.

You think they're all waiting to announce their support for XBO tomorrow or some shit? The illustrious Phil Spencer got some plan with them? Of course not.

Just like almost every indie dev that has gone no the record, they know it's fucked up.

Microsoft is losing revenue for it, indie devs and XBO gamers are being hurt for it. Really is the end of the story until Spencer changes his daft policy.

And this conjecture is tales from thin air, right? Because he hasn't done that. And the results are clear.

You're arguing that I trust Phil Spencer? That's not a road you want to go down. I don't even know what to say to such a claim.

I suspect you're replying to my posts from a position where you believe I'm either defending or making excuses for MS and the clause, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

And yes, there are exceptions. That the games in the OP haven't been given exceptions is besides the point. Those games haven't been released, when they are out on PS4 and the developer can focus on porting the game to X1, that's when they'll announce it and that's when Spencer will give them the exception that many games have already gotten.

My two cents : Warning - Highly Opiniated and you might not agree.

I get your point.

But I still say it's their problem.

If they want to bully and try to forcefully coax devs into working for them due to bad indie dev policies, it's only legitimate that devs say "screw them", hurting Xbox gamers in the process.

And contrary to most people, I don't want them to change their policies because I'm sick of them doing 360 on every single one of their vile, anti-consumer and anti-dev policies. Do we really have to fight them on every single of their bad policies for months to "fix Xbox One yet again, or should we, maybe, just maybe, accept the fact MS did mostly everything wrong this gen and NOT give them a free pass because they end up submitting to public outrage and "fixing" their terrible design choices after enough public outcry.

It reminds me of politics, in a sense where you can place in power a group of individuals that respect what the population wants, tries to remain pro rights and serve the country tas best they can, or you can place some power hungry dictatorship that only care about their wallet, try to make everyone's life more complicated, attacking your rights as citizens and needsing to be constantly kept in check by the population, activists and journalists, doing riots, petitions and other similar things to fight for their existing rights and comfort.

The big difference is that, in gaming , you truly have a choice to vote with your wallet, and you're not stuck with a dictator because more than 50 percent of the population though it was a good idea to put them in charge... So please, vote with your wallet and vote for console makers that respect their fanbase, their devs and that work for the betterment of gaming, instead of fighting constantly to thwart that one power hungry corporation from changing the game industry for the worse. Don"t like MS's policies as a consumer ?Don't buy their products. Don't like their policies as a dev ? Don't make games for their platform. Simple, elegant, almost polite.

Short story short. I think gaming need more people willing to fight for their ideals. If you hate a publisher for releasing crap, stop begging them to stop, boycott their games. We have a power far greater than just complaining and hoping they will someday fix things.

Stanng243

Isn't this also affecting some bigger titles also? Bound By Flame skipped the Xbox one, and Tropico 5 is skipping the Xbox one, even though Tropico was PC/360 last gen.

Talax

Didn't they receive funding from Sony after they were hit by a flood?
I know about the flood and no insurance money but never heard about any funding.

Self published, made by (I think the number thrown around is) four people. Seems pretty indie to me.
Well then based on this parity clause it would probably not appear right? But I don't think MS would let something like this go. It feels like that part where Spencer will "make an exception" is a pretty loose term and games will be allowed after PS4 on XB1 if deemed successful.

Top Bottom