• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Television Top 10 Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have some unique tastes when Westworld is garbage yet you're watching The Vampires Diaries Season 8. To each their own though.

I expect more from a massively budgeted prestige drama on a premium cable channel than I do a CW vampire show that is limping across the finish line.

Then again, if the Westworld scripts were of a similar quality as the best the CW has to offer that would be an huge improvement.

Solo

You can't actually believe that man. C'mon. It's fine not not like Westworld, and I would agree that the writing wasn't Deadwood or The Wire level, but it's also not in the depths with the CW.

Dabanton

The Crown is probably the highlight and surprise of the year for me.

Finished the first season yesterday, was very watchable even had my partners mother who considers her self anti royal begging to watch more episodes ha.

Loved Matt Smith as Prince Phillip could have been a cliched role but he brought an understanding of the outsider to it.

Catvoca

Banned
Not enough Lady Dynamite love on these lists! One of the most inventive comedies I've seen in years. It's from the people who made Arrested Development, and it is every bit as layered as that show as it attempts to tell it's story across three different time periods in Maria Bamford's life. It's spectacular!

I don't expect it to show up on any lists, but Comedy Bang Bang! aired its 5th and final season this year and it was just perfect. I hope some publications notice how much great work has been on that show over the past few years.

I'm surprised Orange is the New Black isn't on more lists. I guess it isn't shiny and new anymore and season 3 was weak so maybe some people avoided it, but I thought this season was by far their strongest. It had that novel-on-tv feel that shows like The Wire had, with it slowly setting up huge payoffs as it layered together the many different plots of the season.

Nice to see Bojack being recognised so much at least. It seems everyone really caught up with the show this season.

Still waiting on Sepinwall and Vanderwerff's lists though, they're some of my favourite critics.

Venture

The first...hrm...4 or 5 episodes of Season 1 are pretty funny, but otherwise nothing amazing. What happens though is that the first couple episodes the show seemed to be finding it's feet and wondering what it wanted to do. Come the second half of the season, they figured it out and figured it out hard. The 2nd season and 3rd season are fucking tremendous television. It stops being a silly random comedy and instead becomes an incredibly dark comedy that has the most realistic depiction of depression I've ever seen in a TV show.
Thanks for the summary. Sounds great.

Empty

i respect the critics that put made in america ahead of the fx oj simpson show (aka zoller seitz and the wapo guy). while they are both good and compulsive viewing made in america is a far richer, more resonant work and probably the most politically incisive piece of tv since the wire finished.

The show I am surprised to see on so many lists is The Girlfriend Experience. From memory it got kind of luke-warm reviews when it came out.
I noticed that, as well. I haven't heard much about it since it was airing earlier in the year, so I was surprised to see it pop up.
i respect the critics that put made in america ahead of the fx oj simpson show (aka zoller seitz and the wapo guy). while they are both good and compulsive viewing made in america is a far richer, more resonant work and probably the most politically incisive piece of tv since the wire finished.
A few of them noted that it was ineligible for one reason or another, and AFI gave it a special award to make sure it was recognized.

Catdaddy

The Americans is probably the best drama series I've watched... Growing up during that era makes it 100 times more powerful

Empty

A few of them noted that it was ineligible for one reason or another, and AFI gave it a special award to make sure it was recognized.

ah. that explains it. i assumed afi's award was just a fancy way of saying honourable mention.

thanks for actually reading everything lol

It's incredible.

TripOpt55

I love seeing these lists as they always tip me off to shows that I missed out on. Try as I might I can't keep up with everything and I already see quite a few I will need to try and catch up on.

As for shows not getting much love here, I will point out a few. iZombie is my current favorite. It isn't the kind of show to make a lot of critics' lists and it only aired the back half of its second season in 2016, but it has the best dialogue on TV and the way it blends its procedural and serialized storytelling always impresses me. It is really just exactly my kind of show.

I love The Good Place too. A really unique setting for a comedy and a structure that feels more like a genre show really helps it stand out. The cast is great too including an excellent recent guest turn by Adam Scott.

Search Party is another winner. It seems the characters turn some people off, but I found it hilarious and was hooked by its ongoing mystery. The end feels so perfect for the show that preceded it as well.

The second season of American Crime (the ABC one) was great. Probably the most improved show on TV. Delves into some really interesting subject matter with some superb acting performances.

Been a great year for TV. Will be hard to whittle my list down to ten for the voting here.

Morts

I'm still in the first season of The Americans... it's good but does it great? The way people talk about it I thought it would be my new Mad Men, but so far it's like my new Scandal.

Amir0x

Banned
I feel like im running out of tv to watch when ive seen virtually everything that is not a sitcom or procedural on these lists (just cant get into those). Need to have more going out dates, less netflix and subscription binge nights.

Rectify is my number two of the year, without seeing the series finale. What a remarkable journey it has been.

Also guess it doesnt count because it is not on HBO yet, but Young Pope is far and away my favorite tv show in years. Confounding, beautiful, profound. Constantly subverted my expectations.

Bluth54

Sad to see Shameless isn't on anyone's list, everyone just seems to ignore it despite being one of the best shows on TV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is Hitflix (or whatever) stlll doing the big critic round up?

Also, no real surprises other than someone having Chelsea on their list.

Just finished American Crime Story last night. Definitely top 2 or 3 for me. I loved Silicon Valley a lot though, and Horace and Pete, though I can never bring myself to finish that one. Will have to check out Atlanta and The Americans.

kevin1025

Banned
Is Hitflix (or whatever) stlll doing the big critic round up?

Also, no real surprises other than someone having Chelsea on their list.

Sepinwall's list is on Monday.

My top three of the year were Halt and Catch Fire, Rectify (only one more left, don't go!), and The Americans. Really glad to see them on some on the lists.

bounchfx

happy to see Horace and Pete grace a few of the lists. I feel like the show was forgotten about as quickly as it came. Or I guess moreso, very little people ever heard of it to begin with. It was fucking fantastic.

Macka

Westworld has more mentions that it deserves imo.

Stranger Things not getting the respect it deserves though. Fantastic show.

I actually just started watching The Americans earlier this week. Halfway through S1 and enjoying it so far.

Sad to see Shameless isn't on anyone's list, everyone just seems to ignore it despite being one of the best shows on TV.
It will definitely be on mine once ratsky does the GAF voting thread. Not only is it consistently amazing, but we got two full seasons in 2016.

Amir0x

Banned
Hilarious trying to see these lists play the "too cool" thing by not mentioning Game of Thrones more.
Or maybe - stick with me here this is high concept stuff im about to share - maybe there was a ton of great tv this year and these individuals believe other shows more deserved a place on their lists. Perhaps you could even say it was their genuine opinion!

i feel like none of the TV critics i follow watched Black Sails past the first season. i only know of a few sites that even review it. it's probably my #2 show of the year and it kinda makes me sad that it's so overlooked

always good to see Rectify on these lists, though. and i really gotta catch up on Jane The Virgin and HACF some time soon

pswii60

Really pleased to see Halt and Catch Fire mentioned on numerous lists.

There's something about the show that just completely and utterly sucks me in to its world and I feel like I know all the characters personally. It's a series about personal ambitions, personalities and relationships. And overcoming failure. But so many are put off by the premise thinking it's going to be some nerd show, but its nothing like that at all. It's a show anyone can relate to and enjoy, you don't need to be in to 80s computing whatsoever.

Klocker

Rectify on several lists makes my happy

And High Maintenance even got a couple shout outs... damned good show

Bojack and Saul are no brainers

big ander

Huh fewer mentions for Horace and Pete than I expected.

This seems like a good place to ask: is The Americans one of those shows that got better and better with each season? Caught the first season last month and it was pretty good but not astounding. I'll still probably catch up but if the whole series is about even in quality I'll probably get to Fargo and Better Call Saul S2 first

higemaru

Glad people didn't forget about Horace and Pete. I always forget about it when looking over the year's shows but it was top notch.

Glad to see You're the Worst so high on the IndieWire list. AV Club will probably have it too since I think they were big fans of the 2nd season.

T Dollarz

Rectify and The Americans are 1a and 1b

Mr. Robot, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones are 2a, 2b and 2c.

Luke Cage best superhero show.

Edit: For those asking, I would say that yes, The Americans has found ways to come back even stronger every season. It's a character study, like all my favorite dramas (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rectify) and they have done a superb job of building on the drama within their circle of characters. Not to mention, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhyys absolutely murder their roles. Where the fuck are their Emmys???

I'm still in the first season of The Americans... it's good but does it great? The way people talk about it I thought it would be my new Mad Men, but so far it's like my new Scandal.

I really liked the first season but I think it improves as time goes on. Though the espionage and relationship threads/themes are obviously inextricably linked and these threads feed the development of the other continuously, I think it becomes a show that is primarily concerned about the characters and their relationships. So, if you like the character-driven aspect and are invested in the interpersonal conflict, then it will get better. If you want more of the spy aspect, you may be disappointed that the show is, in fact, a story about a complex marriage and the complex realities of, well, love, trust, and faith.

The show gets harder to "enjoy" over time, though, because it rarely lets up on the noose-tightening sensation that really develops after the first season. Really nicely paced but it's relentlessly grey, bleak and gut-twisting. And the feeling of dread ramps up with each passing year. It is consciously without the prestige TV frills and stylishness that make all the other essentially bleak shows easier to digest. But really excellently and carefully executed nonetheless.

Gnome

I never really cared for Community and that has kept me from trying Atlanta so far. Atlanta's also not a city I'm all that interested in. But maybe I'm wrong instead of everybody else? hmm...

Jigorath

Banned
Nobody cares about Black Sails. What a bummer. I only started watching the show cause of GAF recommendations. It's pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom