• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 has pretty much ruined Halo CE multiplayer with the latest patch

But we want to know when it's being fixed. Breaking things and then promising to fix them later is not acceptable game development.

Here's a gif of what we're talking about
LL3Retk.gif

Been playing ODST since the patch so I haven't experienced it first hand, but hoooooooooooly shit that is BAD. It's really obvious they don't play test their patches. That should have been discovered within a minute of a CE match by anyone who knows a damn about the game.

The roller coaster ride with this game is so fucking old at this point. I feel like a battered housewife who can't walk away.

FyreWulff

What I got from this thread is that there exists a thing in console shooters called 'bullet magnetism'.

That's an actual thing that exists, apparently.

It exists in PC shooters as well. It's a component of making first person shooters work over the internet. It's generally tweaked per-game.

watership

"You are wrong for the following reasons". Well,..okay.

I have a feeling that 343 had the patch ready to go, and then they found this bug crop up, and decided to let to go out anyway. Also Halo 1 online has never been good. Even on PC. So.. I guess I'm wrong. :)

i was playing h3 yesterday and got massive framerate dip on highgrounds, dont know how common this is because i dont play the game much but apart from matchmaking problems this is the biggest issue ive had.

OnPoint

It's funny because Halo CE could have been the thing to get me to buy an Xbox One. But the constant mishandling of this game has been a big red flag.

Jigorath

Banned
But we want to know when it's being fixed. Breaking things and then promising to fix them later is not acceptable game development.

LL3Retk.gif

I haven't touched the game since January. Still have no desire to go back. What a trainwreck.

MysteryM

The current patch also kills the menu music sometimes in matchmaking. They've added who's talking in game to H2A but the font text is too big, and overlaps.

They really do make stupid mistakes. On the plus side, they fixed the underscore in the menu.

I'm still struggling to understand just how exactly MS let 343 turn their flagship franchise into a total cluster-fuck. Outsourcing patches? Lol If true...I dont even....

Just Mind-boggling.

bakeray

I haven't turned my Xbox on since like Jan/Feb cus of this fiasco. People have been asking me to come back saying it's better.

I definitely won't be back until they fix this, that .gif is terrible.

VariantX

LL3Retk.gif

That is pretty awful. How did no one catch that before sending that patch out to people?

MCC has a serious case of patching something in while breaking something else.

When it comes a collection of 5 game engines is there not a way to patch each chunk seperately? a limitation to live's update process or just something the devs never looked into?

The guy in the gif posted above is spraying that pistol to the point where even in normal halo 1 you would miss half of those shots, you have to pace each shot to stop spread.

watership

Well, they said it was unintentional and will be fixed. Not the end if the world.

Any mistakes in patches, which happens all the time, especially on this game is going to get people screaming. They will fix eight things and break one and some people will freak.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unbelievable. Microsoft probably can't wait until Halo 5 is out, so they can put MCC behind them, whether it works or not.

E92 M3

You guys are funny if you think 343 is working on this. They may have one or two people, but everything else is outsourced like the game itself. Every time I think about the state MCC released in, I am baffled by what Microsoft did with its flagship franchise.

Lothars

Unbelievable. Microsoft probably can't wait until Halo 5 is out, so they can put MCC behind them, whether it works or not.
They need to make sure Halo 5 works and right now 343 has proven again and again with Halo MCC that they are not getting it right, so faith should be at an all time low for Halo 5 until they prove it.

NickFire

Pictured: The MCC Patch Team

monkey2.png

By now it's obvious that 343 either has their C-Team making patches for this game, or they straight up outsourced patching. It's ridiculous how many patches have ended up breaking things rather than fixing them. Everything regarding MCC has been completely unacceptable and 343 has lost all benefit of the doubt for me.
That pic is awesome.

Hopefully for Halo fans your guess is right regarding who is working on these patches. Though, even if you are, does that really bode well for 5?

OCD Guy

Well, they said it was unintentional and will be fixed. Not the end if the world.

This is why the gaming industry is the way that it is.

They know that people will just accept things. If people wouldn't accept things, and not give them their money they'd think twice.

But as things stand, it's acceptable to release a broken game, and sometimes never ever truly fix it. This gen has had more than its fair share of broken games at launch.

It wouldn't be acceptable on a cheap indie game, but a game like Halo?? There's no excuse for it. They've got the budgets in place to thoroughly test these games. It's obviously inevitable that a game will have minor bugs, but they're releasing truly broken games.

I want to pick up an Xbox one for halo but the talk of "broken" puts me off, then I read how it's mostly fixed, and then then bam, read shit like this.

Pictured: The MCC Patch Team

monkey2.png

By now it's obvious that 343 either has their C-Team making patches for this game, or they straight up outsourced patching. It's ridiculous how many patches have ended up breaking things rather than fixing them. Everything regarding MCC has been completely unacceptable and 343 has lost all benefit of the doubt for me.

As someone who's not excited for Halo 5 at all after the beta, it's extra frustrating that I can't go back and play accurate representations of the classic games on my XB1.

Wasn't the big MP update patch a few months ago made by an outside team? then then following month's patch fixed some other things but they forgot to include all the original fixes and had to re-patch it back in?

Such a mess.

E92 M3

Wasn't the big MP update patch a few months ago made by an outside team? then then following month's patch fixed some other things but they forgot to include all the original fixes and had to re-patch it back in?

Such a mess.

lol did that really happen? It's unfortunate that MCC was only game in many recent years that I wasted money on. I literally played it for 2 hours and never touched it again. Regret very much not getting a refund.

watership

They know that people will just accept things. If people wouldn't accept things, and not give them their money they'd think twice.

But as things stand, it's acceptable to release a broken game, and sometimes never ever truly fix it. This gen has had more than its fair share of broken games at launch.

It wouldn't be acceptable on a cheap indie game, but a game like Halo?? There's no excuse for it. They've got the budgets in place to thoroughly test these games. It's obviously inevitable that a game will have minor bugs, but they're releasing truly broken games.

I want to pick up an Xbox one for halo but the talk of "broken" puts me off, then I read how it's mostly fixed, and then then bam, read shit like this.

If you're talking about the whole MCC debacle history, then yes it released as a broken online experience. The game is not broken now, but I still don't like the time for matchmaking, but that comes and goes, probably due to population. For this particular patch has a bug that was introduced to halo CE. It worked fine previously so there is no reason to expect it wont be fixed.

While I have faith in 5 bring up to par at launch,MCC is as close to beyond repair as you can get. The community is ded, and the population has forsaken it probably in favor of destiny. The numerous bugs and issues that arise in the game are absurd, and sometimes you can't even get it to work half decent.

The ridiculous amount of patches thrown at the game seems like whoever is putting them out is slapping you in the face to heal a gunshot, while saying see now you don't feel the gunshot! The truth is your face is fucking throbbing while the gunshot is still bleeding!

Luckily, the campaigns are somewhat working, I can give them that at least. I really hope 343i does Halo 5 justice and gets their shit straight. I don't want another year of Destiny when the Halo 5 beta was so good. And I guarantee the entire 343 studio does not want a repeat, because this is their final chance be it for their team or the halo name.

Head.spawn

Well I didn't think I posted an "excuse", but you are the second person to say I did so it must come off that way.

The way I see it, the game still has a ton of flaws, many things that aren't completely fixed. They still need a ton of patching before I would consider their effort adequate, so a single issue out of all the shit wrong with the game, I see as relatively "not the end of the world", especially since it has been acknowledged by someone who can point it out to the patch team and he said it is being corrected.

I never said, "who cares, it's being fixed, it's acceptable that they went three steps forward and one back." I just didn't post raw hyperbole, and to some people that isn't acceptable.

ps3ud0

lol did that really happen? It's unfortunate that MCC was only game in many recent years that I wasted money on. I literally played it for 2 hours and never touched it again. Regret very much not getting a refund.
I cant see why you cant still get a refund. Its already past 200 days so I think in its current state you should have a case to argue...

ps3ud0 8)

Keep making excuses for them. It is their name on the box so it is their responsibility.

Im not making excuses. Im simply telling people how it is.

Halo 5 Beta worked, even with that unfinished UI/Matchmaking.

MMC, a outsourced mess got glued together by different companys.

Yes 343 is on the Box, but it doesnt change the fact.

spootime

Im not making excuses. Im simply telling people how it is.

Halo 5 Beta worked, even with that unfinished UI/Matchmaking.

MMC, a outsourced mess got glued together by different companys.

Yes 343 is on the Box, but it doesnt change the fact.

I don't think people really debate that Halo 5 will be in a much better state than MCC. The question is just whether you want to support a company that essentially stole $60 dollars right out of your wallet by buying their new game on launch day.

E92 M3

I cant see why you cant still get a refund. Its already past 200 days so I think in its current state you should have a case to argue...

ps3ud0 8)

I just don't think they will give a refund so far down the line. Maybe it's worth a try, though.

I still dont get any zoom sounds from the pistol or sniper on Halo 1. A previous patch took it away, a new patch put it back, then another patch took it away again and it's been gone ever since.

Is it just me or what?

jelly

Microsoft staring at the calender.

"Halo 5 is x days away from launch, they won't care about MCC eventually"

I think Microsoft will probably be quite content with the single player working and multiplayer sort of working in the end then call it day. It won't be worth the resources as user numbers decline, might be at that point already.

Top Bottom