• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 has pretty much ruined Halo CE multiplayer with the latest patch

jem0208

Jem, come on. Pre patch, that Blue would be dead 2 times over. Even at longer ranges you would get in more hits then in that gif.

Yes, but pre-patch the bullet magnetism was also far too high.

I'm not really defending 343 (or whoever actually made this patch) by the way, I think it's ridiculous that they managed to break another random thing in the game again. However I don't think the change is necessarily that bad. I could get used to having a skill gap this high.

The gif is completely different to my experience though. I played a game on HeH the other day and still managed to pull off a few cross map 3 shots and hitting people up close (like in the gif) was still really easy. You've just got to get used to ignoring the red reticule and aim where you actually should be aiming. You need to have perfect precision and I think it's kinda fun.

I'm not really defending 343 (or whoever actually made this patch) by the way, I think it's ridiculous that they managed to break another random thing in the game again. However I don't think the change is necessarily that bad. I could get used to having a skill gap this high.

The gif is completely different to my experience though. I played a game on HeH the other day and still managed to pull off a few cross map 3 shots and hitting people up close (like in the gif) was still really easy. You've just got to get used to ignoring the red reticule and aim where you actually should be aiming. You need to have perfect precision and I think it's kinda fun.

Sorry but this is just all incorrect. The Pistol is broken as hell, just because you think making the pistol a clunky POS adds skill doesn't mean anything.

Im not making excuses. Im simply telling people how it is.

Halo 5 Beta worked, even with that unfinished UI/Matchmaking.

MMC, a outsourced mess got glued together by different companys.

Yes 343 is on the Box, but it doesnt change the fact.

If you think that the Halo 5 beta "worked." You honestly have super low expectations, or grew up with gaming in the last 5 years when it has apparently become the norm for games to be broken. I'm not trying to be an ass, and I played the beta a lot and mostly enjoyed it... but I think we should stop expecting the bare minimum from these recent Halo titles. The Halo titles used to be incredibly polished experiences (especially the multiplayer), I'd love for the franchise to return to that.

We are seemingly ranking a series of sub par products and over inflating the quality of whatever happens to be the most recent addition to the franchise simply because we've gotten nothing but substandard games out of this franchise for the past 5 or so years.

These are the main technical issues that I can remember off of the top of my head. Many of them were strikingly similar to some of the issues in Halo: MCC:

-Long matchmaking wait times (especially in subsequent matches), which basically meant that people were backing out after every match because the match making service was better at finding initial matches than subsequent matches.

-Something was obviously not functioning correctly with the matchmaking service as it frequently found 8/8 players and then within seconds dropped to 7/8 and took a very long time to find the additional player. I don't think this was because players were actually dropping, but an actual issue with the matchmaking service itself.

-Difficulty inviting friends and maintaining fireteams.

-Having to do hard resets (unplugging power) of Xbox One console in order to invite/join fireteams.

-Problems with in game chat and across Xbox One OS (party chat).

-Getting stuck on broken post-match pages with no option to return to matchmaking searches or main menu which basically meant that you had to go to to the dashboard and quit the Halo 5 Beta application and restart it.

E92 M3

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

You don't even have to aim in Destiny, literally anything remotely close to the head and you pull off instant head shots.

I am not talking about aim assist. The actual shooting mechanics - sound, visual stimuli and feel of impact - are all top-notch. Shooting is simply fun in Destiny.

Noobcraft

Even with the pistol fixed Halo CE multiplayer isn't very good. The spawns, weapon balance, pacing, map flow, and so many other aspects of the game's multiplayer are so dated.

NastyBook

But we want to know when it's being fixed. Breaking things and then promising to fix them later is not acceptable game development.

Here's a gif of what we're talking about
LL3Retk.gif
Hahahaha, I haven't played a Halo since high school, and even I know those were all headshots.

Patch team dun goofed.

jem0208

Sorry but this is just all incorrect. The Pistol is broken as hell, just because you think making the pistol a clunky POS adds skill doesn't mean anything.

What exact part was incorrect?

Also it's not clunky, you just need perfect aim now; The game no longer bends bullets to help you.

Anyway I don't think they should keep it like this, it's far too difficult for most players. I just think the change is interesting.

Again, the biggest problem is that they ported the PC version of CE. Nobody wanted Halo PC because not very many people liked Halo CE in the first place.

The foundations of this game are just horribly shitty. You will never have a "fixed" version of MCC unless they recall the current game and start over from square one.

343i please dont patch the bullet magnetism back to its former strength, it was far to strong before
to achieve a state of OG CE like competitiveness the bullet magnetism should be around 30-50% of what it was before, but definitely not more!

Afro

Yes. Agreed 100%.

Also it's not clunky, you just need perfect aim now; The game no longer bends bullets to help you.

Anyway I don't think they should keep it like this, it's far too difficult for most players. I just think the change is interesting.

From the look of the .gifs it looks like the person shooting had perfect aim or is there something that I'm missing?

It's random and horrible.

343i please dont patch the bullet magnetism back to its former strength, it was far to strong before
to achieve a state of OG CE like competitiveness the bullet magnetism should be around 30-50% of what it was before, but definitely not more!

I agree with this. None of this would be a problem if they used the console version as the basis for the port. All of this was perfect in the console version.

I am not talking about aim assist. The actual shooting mechanics - sound, visual stimuli and feel of impact - are all top-notch. Shooting is simply fun in Destiny.

Aim assist is a huge part of the shooting mechanics.

But that's not what this thread is about, so lets just move on.

From the look of the .gifs it looks like the person shooting had perfect aim or is there something that I'm missing?

since theres no more bullet lag the guy in the video was just unlucky with the bullet spread
watch the gif in slow-mo and youll see the bullet spread literally paints a silouette around the opponents head

aim was for the most part spot on, if there wasnt any bullet spread pretty much all shots would have been a hit

jem0208

You basically have to watch it frame by frame to see (even then it's hard to see due to the low framerate gif) however for the majority of those shots the center of the reticule was in the wrong position. With no magnetism the red reticule is extremely misleading; with the current system you need to aim perfectly and perfectly account for travel time. Which is obviously far too difficult on a controller for your average player.

I just think it's quite interesting to play like this.

It's random and horrible.

Lol, sure.

since theres no more bullet lag the guy in the video was just unlucky with the bullet spread
watch the gif in slow-mo and youll see the bullet spread literally paints a silouette around the opponents head

aim was for the most part spot on, if there wasnt any bullet spread pretty much all shots would have been a hit

Eh, I dunno about that. There was maybe one or 2 shots where the spread could have been the cause however the majority looked off to me...

mcfrank

To be fair, the centre of the reticule was off for almost every shot. Just because it's red doesn't guarantee a hit, it's a bit misleading actually. With the current patch your aim needs to be really fucking good.

You also have to remember that the CE pistol isn't hitscan. Basically this patch has made the skill gap absolutely huge. The problem is that the players who used to be good need to relearn and readjust and the the players who weren't good are even worse off now.

No, it is broken. It is not playing like Halo on Xbox which is what people want. He was in the center for at least 4 or 5 of those shots which missed. This is not a good thing. I was decent at Halo 1. My team took 11th at MLG Dallas and top 16 at AGP Chicago. I know what Halo should feel like and this isnt it.

jem0208

No, it is broken. It is not playing like Halo on Xbox which is what people want. He was in the center for at least 4 or 5 of those shots which missed. This is not a good thing. I was decent at Halo 1. My team took 11th at MLG Dallas and top 16 at AGP Chicago. I know what Halo should feel like and this isnt it.

I'm not saying it isn't broken and I'm certainly not saying this is what it used to be like. Almost every post I've said they need to change it back. I just found it kinda interesting to play with this setting. Mostly because I was destroying everyone and it was fucking great.

RSB

Banned
How many times have they broken Halo CE already? They release a patch to fix something only to break it again (or introduce new bugs) with the next... The development of the MCC must have been (and still is) a nightmare.

Destiny has some of the best shooting mechanics that I every played with. Bungie nailed it good.
Yep, aside for those awful accuracy penalties for everything, the obnoxious iron-sights in many weapons, the movement speed reduction when zooming, and the excessive aim-assist, the shooting mechanics in Destiny are truly great.
/s

From that gif it's Halo PC, i see nothing wrong here, learn to predict shots..look at this way you get to learn the game all over again...

FyreWulff

I agree with this. None of this would be a problem if they used the console version as the basis for the port. All of this was perfect in the console version.

As I posted before, the console version is completely unusable for online play, unless you want to have input latency and a limit of 4 unique Xboxes in any gameplay session.

Sephzilla

The Xbox version had absolutely no online netcode for it though while the PC version did. I can honestly understand why they went with Halo PC instead of CE for that reason alone. Halo 2 being the PC version, however, is completely inexcusable though since that game was online-ready on Day 1.

mcfrank

The Xbox version had absolutely no online netcode for it though while the PC version did. I can honestly understand why they went with Halo PC instead of CE for that reason alone. Halo 2 being the PC version, however, is completely inexcusable though since that game was online-ready on Day 1.

They took the easier way out. This was always going to be a complicated project and they tried to cut corners.

FyreWulff

To be honest, Halo 2 PC is basically Halo 2 Xbox slightly modified to accomodate a range of PC video cards.

Also somewhat nerdy info, Halo 2 is the only mainline Halo (until Halo 5 releases) to never have a native PowerPC version. All three versions of Halo 2 are X86 only.

OnPoint

Campaigns are fine /shrug. Only reason I bought it. I've done a *little* MP and have had no problems other than me sucking at it. I guess other's mileage varies.

I didn't want it for campaign though. I don' still boot up Halo with my friends on a yearly basis to play campaign together.

HTupolev

however for the majority of those shots the center of the reticule was in the wrong position.
Not really. For much of the clip there's almost no lateral motion that would require significant leading; the person spends a lot of time moving away from and toward the shooter.

The guy in the gif posted above is spraying that pistol to the point where even in normal halo 1 you would miss half of those shots, you have to pace each shot to stop spread.
No you don't. Halo 1 has bloom, but it's not dependent on rate of fire, it's dependent on trigger depression. If you feather the shots and release the trigger in between, you're only going to be dealing with the base spread, even at the maximum firing rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7YI4jgcYs

Campaigns are fine /shrug.
Halo 1's campaign? The port is atrocious.

the amount of bullet magnetism we had before this patch isnt the solution though too, every average joe was able to do a 3sk
we need something inbetween, i hope 343i realizes that

also the sniper now finally works as intended in this patch, the only truly working OG like gun in this game

E92 M3

the amount of bullet magnetism we had before this patch isnt the solution though too, every average joe was able to do a 3sk
we need something inbetween, i hope 343i realizes that

also the sniper now finally works as intended in this patch, the only truly working OG like gun in this game

There is like 1000 people playing the game. You better hope the average Joe would be attracted to it. Population needs to be maintained for proper MM. And that population needs to consist of varying skill levels - that's how competitive games thrive.

mcfrank

There is like 1000 people playing the game. You better hope the average Joe would be attracted to it. Population needs to be maintained for proper MM. And that population needs to consist of varying skill levels - that's how competitive games thrive.

If that. My brother and I get matched against the same team over and over pretty frequently.

algert

Banned
From that gif it's Halo PC, i see nothing wrong here, learn to predict shots..look at this way you get to learn the game all over again...

Halo PC had magnetism as well, it was effectively necessary because of the lack of lag compensation in Internet games. You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone suggesting this change has raised a skill ceiling, gap, bar, or whatever other empty phrase, is wrong. It is not possible to consistently land shots on moving players, especially headshots. While I agree that magnetism was too high prior to the patch, those who suggest that CE is "more skillful" with zero magnetism couldn't be more wrong... landing a shot with the pistol is now a game of chance and that's in complete contrast with what a game of skill would be like.

e:

Xbox CE is significantly less competitive than HPC. HPC has separate compounding timers on all item respawns, and even in the best case scenario one wouldn't be able to track the exact time when an item will respawn without memorizing a table. On Xbox, most spawns are on fixed two minute timers. In practice, this results in a situation in which anyone who wants to win is using an external means to time and one is at a direct disadvantage if they don't do it too. This is not a metagame, this has nothing to do with skill or talent, it's something one is effectively forced to do because the Xbox respawn system is too simple for it's own good. And not to be flippant, because I don't want to go off on a tangent for too long even though I am completely serious, Xbox CE guys are familiar with the vanilla Classic Slayer Pro preset, which has rockets on slayer maps. That's a joke, there is nothing competitive about the rocket launcher. Heavy weapons belong in CTF games on CTF maps.

mcfrank

Halo PC had magnetism as well, it was effectively necessary because of the lack of lag compensation in Internet games. You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone suggesting this change has raised a skill ceiling, gap, bar, or whatever other empty phrase, is wrong. It is not possible to consistently land shots on moving players, especially headshots. While I agree that magnetism was too high prior to the patch, those who suggest that CE is "more skillful" with zero magnetism couldn't be more wrong... landing a shot with the pistol is now a game of chance and that's in complete contrast with what a game of skill would be like.

e:

Xbox CE is significantly less competitive than HPC. HPC has separate compounding timers on all item respawns, and even in the best case scenario one wouldn't be able to track the exact time when an item will respawn without memorizing a table. On Xbox, most spawns are on fixed two minute timers. In practice, this results in a situation in which anyone who wants to win is using an external means to time and one is at a direct disadvantage if they don't do it too. This is not a metagame, this has nothing to do with skill or talent, it's something one is effectively forced to do because the Xbox respawn system is too simple for it's own good. And not to be flippant, because I don't want to go off on a tangent for too long even though I am completely serious, Xbox CE guys are familiar with the vanilla Classic Slayer Pro preset, which has rockets on slayer maps. That's a joke, there is nothing competitive about the rocket launcher. Heavy weapons belong in CTF games on CTF maps.

You have this all backwards. It is the most competitive system because every team is on equal footing and knows exactly when the powerups are coming back (though I am all for a clock just being on the screen so everyone has it). In later games, when the respawn was based on when the empty rocket launcher was dropped or when the power up was picked up, it gave one team a huge advantage since only they knew when the item was coming back. This removed one of the best elements from Halo CE - the every minute or two fight for the power ups. It forced out campers, it concentrated fighting, and it added a strategic element of "do I try to go for the power up right away, or do I try to kill them on their way to the power up." It was a much much better system than one team knows when the OS is coming back, so they get it every single time for the rest of the game.

Destiny has a good system too with the all play announcement of when heavy weapons are coming and the fight for them.

I used to have thoughts of playing halo 1 online like the old pc days, hours of fun in big team and ctf.

Sadly as well as flaws appearing in these xbox one ports you can't dedicate yourself to playing a game of choice without making a custom room, the hoppers blend in all the halo games together so if you want to play halo 1 BTB you have to luck out in voting... or be stuck playing halo 3-4 BTB because others always vote for it.

The entire online structure of the MCC is a jumbled mess.

The CE pistol when fired at that speed sprays, watch as the shots miss and hit the walls behind clearly. *edit* halo's way of adding bloom to shots is not how many bullets you fire but how long you hold the trigger down, pumping a CE pistol is always accurate.

The issue right now is that the crosshair is going red but the bullets are not curving, pretty much like they have a smaller hit box.

hao chi

1v1 me in XBC Halo 1

send FR to my username: o_xX_KSI_FyreWulff_Xx_o

God, I forgot about KSI. I loved wrecking them on Halo 2.

It's funny because Halo CE could have been the thing to get me to buy an Xbox One. But the constant mishandling of this game has been a big red flag.

A properly working version of CE with online would have me seriously considering getting an Xbox One. Microsoft goofed big time by messing up the MCC.

Maxim726X

How... Just, how.

It's even more pathetic because they've attempted to fix it countless times and it's still broken. It's really hard to believe.

Sephzilla

The entire online structure of the MCC is a jumbled mess.

In hindsight, I really wish they would have forgone the whole attempt to integrate the 4 games and just basically keep each game separate. The only universal menu is to pick the game to load, and then it loads to the classic menu for that game. Then have separate multiplayer hoppers dedicated for each game and don't bother trying to create mixed game playlists. It might have helped keep things a bit more stable. Plus, it would give me the option to play only Halo 2 Big Team - which is what i wanted the whole time.

My understanding is that bullet magnetism was implemented in many/most console shooters because analog sticks aren't as precise as mice/keyboard, and it also makes it more enjoyable/accessible. Why would they take it out?

No you don't. Halo 1 has bloom, but it's not dependent on rate of fire, it's dependent on trigger depression. If you feather the shots and release the trigger in between, you're only going to be dealing with the base spread, even at the maximum firing rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7YI4jgcYs

I missed your reply earlier but yes you are right and I know that and could have explained it better at the time.

But that gif, after the first few shots the others were spreading and you can see the splash graphics, it sucks that the current magantism in halo 1 is poop but half of those shots were bound to miss anyway.

I haven't played it since I noticed how badly they screwed up the checkpoint system in Halo 2 campaign. Now I have even more reason to avoid going back.

Top Bottom