• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Industries' Josh Holmes explains design decisions in Halo 5

Because it's not about what people can do in real life and/or game lore, it's about what makes for good gameplay, and sprinting reduces the chance for the duels that make Halo what Halo is. We've seen two games where this is the case.
Meh. Halo doesn't have duels so much as "toss a lot of grenades and punch people" fights. I welcome a sprint that will let me escape the grenade barrage.

NeOak

So basically, "we want to be Call of Duty: Halo Warfare."

gg 343i. Halo 4 and your mishandling of the balancing (AKA LALALALAL WEAPONS ARE AAAA O K!) doesn't inspire confidence.

I would say "We got MCC" but even that is fucked.

Good post, good read, awful OP.

I get where they're coming from on all counts. They can't pretend shooters haven't changed since Halo 3, and the audience has changed with them. Do I like sprint? No, but I also don't think it's the end of the world, and a huge part of their audience wants it. So why not try and make it work? Besides, like JdFoX187 said, Sprint is far from Reach and 4's only problem.

And despite statements to the contrary, people do care about feeling like a Spartan. They want to be fast, powerful, and accurate. All of these are very much Spartan-like traits. For some reason, "immersion" is a dirty word around here.

cluto

343 is still trying to chase this super soldier fantasy that no realistic person gives a shit about. If you really want players to "feel like a super soldier", they should be able to shoot while running 50 mph with no weapon recoil, jump a hundred feet, throw grenades a thousand yards, etc. Nobody cares about lore or immersion in a competitive multiplayer game -- stop letting it regulate every design decision.

343 is still trying to chase this super soldier fantasy that no realistic person gives a shit about. If you really want players to "feel like a super soldier", they should be able to shoot while running 50 mph with no weapon recoil, jump a hundred feet, throw grenades a thousand yards, etc. Nobody cares about lore or immersion in a competitive multiplayer game -- stop letting it regulate every design decision.
Please enlighten me on what other things I don't give a shit about.

VinFTW

So basically, "we want to be Call of Duty: Halo Warfare."

gg 343i. Halo 4 and your mishandling of the balancing (AKA LALALALAL WEAPONS ARE AAAA O K!) doesn't inspire confidence.

I would say "We got MCC" but even that is fucked.

If that's what you got from that post, Im baffled.

Also, OP, I know you haven't always been super happy with Halo, but I really wish you'd update the OP with context of why and where this was posted.

You're promoting these kind of posts above.

Well. I'm looking forward to this game. Got it pre-ordered already through a BB deal for about 28 dollars. Can't wait for the beta, I hate how slow MCC feels but I understand that other people have different opinions, and that's okay.

Killer

Banned
Also, OP, I know you haven't always been super happy with Halo, but I really wish you'd update the OP with context of why and where this was posted.

I put the source in OP. Most Halo fans are pissed about the changes (I am). You can't deny copying COD with sprint and ADS bullshit.

Anyone can make up their minds from that post. You don't have to agree with me.

Naminator

Banned
So is this the thread where I post stupid oneliners like a pretentious douchebag that thinks that I know how to make games better than 343?

Ohhh man did you say halo? More like CoD-lo!

Madness

Seriously, guys?

PEOPLE CAN RUN.

HULKING SUPER SOLDIERS IN HYPER-ADVANCED POWER ARMOR CAN RUN TOO.

I can not BELIEVE so many people are railing at the fact that there's a sprint button in a halo game..

People can also throw guns at other people too. Do you want people to start throwing their empty AR's throwing knife style in Halo? Surely a Spartan super soldier has enough strength to throw his gun with enough force to make it incapacitate another.

If after Reach and Halo 4 you can't see how devastating these changes are to Halo game play I don't know what to tell you.

CoD is not Halo, it plays nothing like it. Copying mechanics breaks Halo game play. Maps are larger because of sprint, gunplay is changed because rather than outfight someone, they press a button and run away. People just sprint in, die, respawn etc.

Now they're aware of this and have instituted changes like the no shield recharge etc. But I'm still wary. Beta comes in about 2 weeks, so we can all see for ourselves if it's more of the same or whether they have done something special.

The immersion question is interesting because it breaks immersion to think a 7'4"+ super soldier with a huge ass helmet and visor would need to aim down iron sights in the middle of his visor, when it's linked to his gun reticle electronically. It's pure aping of CoD and other shooter mechanics to appease the few fans and reviewers who criticize Halo and call it old or slow.

Orayn

I put the source in OP. Most Halo fans are pissed about the changes (I am). You can't deny copying COD with sprint and ADS bullshit.

Yes I can, sorta. Sprint is not unique to CoD. It was definitely one of the series that helped popularizing it, but as a concept it's not unique to CoD.

The same could be said of Ironsights to a greater degree, but that's kind of a moot point since the functionality isn't the same.

RdN

Coming out of two BIG fumbles, I have absolutely no faith in 343i.

I'm going to play the Beta since it has the potential to be the only working part of the product I bought in the TMMC... But there's absolutely no way I'm buying Halo 5 at launch.

VinFTW

So you're telling me people know why Josh Holmes posted this? Do YOU know why he posted this or did you just come jnto halo Gaf so you had an excuse to "copy cod if old" a Halo thread?

Also, it's not functional ADS, so get your facts straight. Even me, the nut case who flipped out all over these boards when the game leaked its first gameplay, knows and understands that.

I like where they're going with Halo 5.

It'll be the first Halo game since 3 to put everyone on equal footing. Sure there were specific playlists with equal starts in Reach and 4 but the gameplay and map design wasn't really designed around that philosophy. With 5 it seems like they're nailing down what they want the core gameplay to be and then designing around that.

Reach and, especially, Halo 4 were trying to be too many things at the same time. It feels like 343 is trying to get rid of that and bring back a more focused, even experience. I'm excited to play the beta and see just how much their decisions have paid off.

Also, I love sprint. The old Halo games just feel so slow compared to recent entries so I'm glad 343 is sticking to their guns on that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I'd also argue they shouldn't just listen to Halo fans stuck in the past either who want no change whatsoever. I don't blame them for wanting to try new things and try for a mix of introducing new concepts whilst still making Halo 'feel' like Halo. Admittedly with Halo 4 going a bit too far in the other direction (and with not exactly great map design) but there's nothing wrong with trying. Whilst MCC is a clusterfuck at the minute, once it's all fixed up the fans will have that if they want purely old school Halo gameplay.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

If it was copying COD then shooting without aiming down the sights would have terrible accuracy, we have tons of proof that it does not, COD did not invent sprint in fps games., especially considering that the past two games had it.

Killer

Banned
Also, it's not functional ADS, so get your facts straight. Even me, the nut case who flipped out all over these boards when the game leaked its first gameplay, knows and understands that.

OH IT'S SMART SCOPE!!!
It's ADS

Even if it functions like a regular halo scope/zoom, it covers half of your screen.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Saying 'you'd expect a Spartan to be able to do that' doesn't make it a worthwhile mechanic.

NeOak

If that's what you got from that post, Im baffled.

Please. Halo 4 Multiplayer was a mess. Unbalanced. Stuff added because "Spartans are OP" when Spartan IVs are... ugh.

stay gold

MP looks really good from the videos I've seen (and nothing like CoD really), I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the beta.

Just hoping they can get the SP up to Halo CE-3 standards at this point.

VinFTW

OH IT'S SMART SCOPE!!!
It's ADS

Even if it functions like a regular halo scope/zoom, it covers half of your screen.

Thank you for proving my point.

You essentially are shutting down an argument that is more complex than you are obviously willing to accept or indulge within.

Please. Halo 4 Multiplayer was a mess. Unbalanced. Stuff added because "Spartans are OP" when Spartan IVs are... ugh.

Awesome! But this is a Halo 5 thread. So get out of here with that. Halo 4 has nothing to do with this. Halo 5 already looks better out of the box than 4 or Reach.

Magwik

Banned
I'd also argue they shouldn't just listen to Halo fans stuck in the past either who want no change whatsoever. I don't blame them for wanting to try new things and try for a mix of introducing new concepts whilst still making Halo 'feel' like Halo. Admittedly with Halo 4 going a bit too far in the other direction (and with not exactly great map design) but there's nothing wrong with trying. Whilst MCC is a clusterfuck at the minute, once it's all fixed up the fans will have that if they want purely old school Halo gameplay.

It is quite tiring seeing every person who preferred old school gameplay as ones who are against change. Nobody has anything against change, it's change for the sake of change or chasing another audience that has people upset.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. Saying 'you'd expect a Spartan to be able to do that' doesn't make it a worthwhile mechanic.

especially because the "sort of ADS" thing they implemented actively goes against the lore and it is something a Spartan shouldn't have to do.

Killer

Banned
Thank you for proving my point.

You essentially are shutting down an argument that is more complex than you are obviously willing to accept or indulge within.

Check every other halo forums and see if people happy with the changes.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It is quite tiring seeing every person who preferred old school gameplay as ones who are against change. Nobody has anything against change, it's change for the sake of change or chasing another audience that has people upset.

It's also tiring see people whine about mechanics in a game they haven't even played yet either. Halo 5 is not Halo 4. Play the beta, give feedback and be honest about it and then see how they react. If they are serious about listening to the fans and truly want to introduce new things and also take fan concerns into consideration it will be good for everyone.

But let's wait and see how it actually plays first yeah ?

VinFTW

Check every other halo forums and see if people happy with the changes.
I live in every other halo forum. I just choose to not be ignorant of one side of an argument and I choose not to say people with differing opinions are wrong.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_nfh5ez00ul1qbh6aeo1_500.jpg

Madness

There is a reason game play didn't substantially change between CE/2/3 as opposed to Reach and now Halo 4. It's not about "change". You want changes that complement Halo. Usually, it's in the form of crazy new game types, new weapons, new vehicles and maps.

After Halo 5, we'll have had as many radically changed Halo games as "classic" ones. Also, MCC has been irreparably screwed by the launch. The player population is probably 1/10th what it was at launch. Every Halo release cannibalizes the game before, so it doesn't even matter if it works 5 months from now as much, because most people will leave to play Halo 5. It's always been like that. Most people would consider Reach worse than Halo 3, and yet they still left to play it just the same.

But that's why we have the beta now. We can see whether we like the game or not. Josh is a good guy and humble enough to accept criticism. He's probably reading these posts. Let's hope they take constructive criticism well, ignore the hateful trolls and insults. We're not the only ones playing this game. Halo 5 will be the first game for a new generation of fans as well. Will be nice to see how it plays out. I'm more pessimistic than optimistic based on just the past 4 years of Halo game play/fanbase apathy. But we'll see.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
especially because the "sort of ADS" thing they implemented actively goes against the lore and it is something a Spartan shouldn't have to do.
Good thing that they designed it specifically so that it doesn't have to be used.

NeOak

Awesome! But this is a Halo 5 thread. So get out of here with that. Halo 4 has nothing to do with this. Halo 5 already looks better out of the box than 4 or Reach.

He is talking about the design decisions. Same way of thinking that was in Halo 4.

I understand why they want to do it. However, their execution so far has been really underwhelming.

And no, it does not look "better". That is highly subjective and as you can see, most people do not agree with your opinion at all.

This.

To be honest, I'm ok with all these changes but please, please get rid of the dudebro attitude and chatter from the spartans... please.

Oh and I want to see a good Halo SP. Halo 4 was really really bad.[/OFF]

VinFTW

He is talking about the design decisions. Same way of thinking that was in Halo 4.

I understand why they want to do it. However, their execution so far has been really underwhelming.

And no, it does not look "better". That is highly subjective and as you can see, most people do not agree with your opinion at all.

This.

No. Not "this" as if you know what you're talking about when it comes to what we want. Halo fans want a lot of things and so far Halo 5 has already done more positive than negative. Better start than 4 or Reach (except nbns).

Lol, same way of thinking? He literally (not figuratively) explains what's changed since Halo 4 with the development and thought process. So again... What does Halo 4 have to do with this?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
There is a reason game play didn't substantially change between CE/2/3 as opposed to Reach and now Halo 4. It's not about "change". You want changes that complement Halo. Usually, it's in the form of crazy new game types, new weapons, new vehicles and maps.

After Halo 5, we'll have had as many radically changed Halo games as "classic" ones. Also, MCC has been irreparably screwed by the launch. The player population is probably 1/10th what it was at launch. Every Halo release cannibalizes the game before, so it doesn't even matter if it works 5 months from now as much, because most people will leave to play Halo 5. It's always been like that. Most people would consider Reach worse than Halo 3, and yet they still left to play it just the same.

But that's why we have the beta now. We can see whether we like the game or not. Josh is a good guy and humble enough to accept criticism. He's probably reading these posts. Let's hope they take constructive criticism well, ignore the hateful trolls and insults. We're not the only ones playing this game. Halo 5 will be the first game for a new generation of fans as well. Will be nice to see how it plays out. I'm more pessimistic than optimistic based on just the past 4 years of Halo game play/fanbase apathy. But we'll see.

Oh I completely understand the fans concerns, believe me I'm concerned as well. But I like to take each game as it comes and admittedly I don't own an xbox one yet (and hence no MCC) so I haven't been completely soured on 343i as a developer recently.
Which is why I'm hoping they've completely rethought things are doing it in a way that fits, but we shall see.

I'm kind of surprised to see you say every new Halo game cannibalises the previous one though, I thought Halo 3 had a strong population for a loooooong time even after Halo Reach came out ?

NeOak

No. Not "this" as if you know what you're talking about when it comes to what we want. Halo fans want a lot of things and so far Halo 5 has already done more positive than negative. Better start than 4 or Reach (except nbns).

Lol, same way of thinking? He literally (not figuratively) explains what's changed since Halo 4 with the development and thought process. So again... What does Halo 4 have to do with this?

The desire to maximize immersion...It’s something that we started talking about midway through Halo 4 and it became a foundational part of the design intention for Halo 5.
That desire.

Head.spawn

What a long-winded way to say, we copied popular features from games, we have had it all there for two years.. get ready for the beta, where your feedback will not change anything, because we've developed everything around it for two years already.

vesvci

Banned
All this Halo 5 talk without actually fixing Halo:MCC first. Really 343i? Baby steps, no?

All I want is dedicated servers with to lag compensation bullshit, like CoD. Keep the similar gameplay and I'm ok with it.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I feel if 343i changed their name to 'Bung1e', alot of these haters would start thinking better off them. I'm not sure, but it just feels like people actually just straight hate 343i and not the Halo games.

Thanks 343i

Top Bottom