• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Industries' Josh Holmes explains design decisions in Halo 5

They need to go back to H2 and H3 basics. Look at CS:GO. Back to basics, no new movement options like sprint, no ADS. It simply sticks with the formula established in the early 2000s when the game was most popular. Halo needs to stick with what made it a phenonemom in the mid 2000s when Halo 2 and Halo 3 were played by millions.

Not a Valve worship post, I swear. But CS:GO does it right.

For crying out loud. We are NEVER going to get back to H2 and H3 levels for Halo.

When will you people just accept that and move on? The ship has sailed. Battlefield, Call of Duty, and now the myriad of other FPSs have made sure Halo will never achieve the monopoly it once had, and no amount of lusting after the old days by the Halo "old guard" will ever bring that back.

A lot of you sound like bitter old men, railing about the "Good ole' days".

Welfare

I feel if 343i changed their name to 'Bung1e', alot of these haters would start thinking better off them. I'm not sure, but it just feels like people actually just straight hate 343i and not the Halo games.

Thanks 343i
Well, when you look at Halo 4...

Nah nah nah

People just hate 343.

VinFTW

All this Halo 5 talk without actually fixing Halo:MCC first. Really 343i? Baby steps, no?

All I want is dedicated servers with to lag compensation bullshit, like CoD. Keep the similar gameplay and I'm ok with it.
This post is exactly why I'm so upset with the context op left out of the thread.

No one understands what went on here.

Hey guys, remember when you played Halo and took in all the ambient sounds of each map, and really felt like you were playing something that was different than everything else on the market?

Say goodbye to that, thanks to Spartan chatter, random clicks, chirps and beeps for every single action or movement that you make, the most electronic, synthesized Jeff Steitzer you've ever NOT asked for, and shit nobody wanted like ground pound and thruster packs!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the beta plays, hopefully some of the changes from Halo 4 MP will be more apparant. Anyone who thinks Halo 3-style MP would hold up in 2014 is kidding themselves.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I know that this community does not feel that way (or likely believes that statement to be accurate), but the larger Halo community is very diverse and we are building a game for an audience with many different perspectives represented amongst them.

And you lost both groups in 4 when you tried it.

Admittedly, the following:

I will let you all be the judges as you play the beta but I believe that we are doing a much better job of designing the maps around the core mechanics with Halo 5. A big reason for that is the fact that we nailed down the core focus for gameplay early. When we start releasing some of the behind-the-scenes footage from the development of Halo 5 next week, you will see that we’ve been playing with this core set of abilities for the better part of two years. This has allowed us enough time to refine and iterate on map design with the abilities in mind. The other big change has been the addition of our internal pro team. They have been invaluable in helping us to identify issues with mechanics and map design that become obvious at the highest level of skilled play, and we’ve had the time and focus to react to that feedback.

sounds like there's been more time put into the map flow with sprint in comparison to 4, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see, and hope that isn't the only issue they're addressing.

I'm kind of surprised to see you say every new Halo game cannibalises the previous one though, I thought Halo 3 had a strong population for a loooooong time even after Halo Reach came out ?

3 had long legs for a variety of reasons. One of them may have been that Reach was the big-time change-up in terms of bloom and sprint/armor abilities.

Andodalf

Banned
Did you try Halo 4?

Only way to really know will be the beta though.

I did, and while I liked it, I did not like it as much. I feel closer to the ground. That makes no sense, but it's how I felt. I felt like I couldn't get around as much, which might just be map design.

As for sprint, falls into two main categories in my opinion.

1) A way to skip through lulls in game flow. Hurry to the next exciting point. If this is how sprint is being used, it is akin to a fast-forward and is symptomatic of poor game design.

2) Need to move quick because OH SHIT. It isn't used because of lengthy paths between happenings that would happen with poor maps or act as a fast-forward because of poor design. This is sprint done right. And is appropriately balanced in MP with a fair trade-off.

Magwik

Banned
So am I in the minority when I say is prefer for them to continue to try and expand on armor abilities and equipment instead of just adding more base abilities that will rarely get used (most likely aside from thruster)? They are a great and interesting way to expand the sandbox without destroying balance (keep them as map pick ups).

Killer

Banned
With the way MCC launched, i don't think they give a shit about Halo.

I hope Activision buys them and fulfill their fetish to make a Call of Duty game.

DocSeuss

For crying out loud. We are NEVER going to get back to H2 and H3 levels for Halo.

When will you people just accept that and move on? The ship has sailed. Battlefield, Call of Duty, and now the myriad of other FPSs have made sure Halo will never achieve the monopoly it once had, and no amount of lusting after the old days by the Halo "old guard" will ever bring that back.

A lot of you sound like bitter old men, railing about the "Good ole' days".

We thought that about CS after Source and then we got GO. :)

Seriously, a $15 downloadable title that learned a lot from GO would be a much more desirable product than Halo 4-2.

VinFTW

I hope Activision buys them and fulfill their fetish to make a Call of Duty game.
Ah now the true intentions of the OP are revealed.

I think this is an incredibly unfair generalization.

abadguy

Banned
Translation: "We want Call of Duty sales"

To be honest i don't even know why devs waste time trying to explain shit to people on forums. I'll just judge the game after i've actually played it.

A crazy concept i know.

How would Activision buy them? Also if they have a fetish for making a COD game, where is the COD gameplay? Killstreaks, perks, loadouts. You know, the hallmarks of COD gameplay? Seriously this post makes no actual sense to me.

VinFTW

And you know saying this shit is incredibly insulting? Bannable offense, fyi. From user to another edit it.

Also people know how I feel about the franchise and how I'm willing to call shit out if it's truly bullshit (my old avatar) and rants on the big leak day.

I've always been pro-sprint, but I think the explanation should have delved into sprint's effects on map design and how it changes power positions. Those seem to be the biggest issues of contention that I've seen anyway.

Killer

Banned
And you know saying this shit is incredibly insulting? Bannable offense, fyi. From user to another edit it.

Also people know how I feel about the franchise and how I'm willing to call shit out if it's truly bullshit (my old avatar) and rants on the big leak day.

Thanks for the heads up. you are just defending the indefensible tbh.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out.

dat hate, let it flow let it flow while I am still enjoying MCC.

Caayn

I feel if 343i changed their name to 'Bung1e', alot of these haters would start thinking better off them. I'm not sure, but it just feels like people actually just straight hate 343i and not the Halo games.

Thanks 343i
It's not like 343i ever made a good Halo game. Give me one good reason why I should like 343i after how they treated the Halo games?

Bungie isn't exactly doing well either at the moment.

Bsigg12

I've always been pro-sprint, but I think the explanation should have delved into sprint's effects on map design and how it changes power positions. Those seem to be the biggest issues of contention that I've seen anyway.

It sounds like we'll get some video next week that may cover that based on Josh's comments.

What exactly is the issue with sprint again? The trend of more mobility options and/or snappier traversal (Titanfall, COD: AW, AC:U [<---despite its poor execution], even Mario Kart 8, etc.) has been fantastic. I want more options available for exploring and interacting with whatever world the game designers have created.

Voliko

The emphasis on "immersion" is bizarre. I don't think immersion should even be part of the discussion, does anyone really care about it in a multiplayer game? It shouldn't affect design decisions like this. They should focus on balanced gameplay mechanics and how they all work together, immersion is a non-factor.

E92 M3

I'd be happy if they started by removing the dude bro attitude from the spartans and announcing every single thing that happens:

"Grenade thrown."
"Power weapons in 20 seconds."
"Power weapons in 15 seconds."
"Power weapons spawned."
"Please don't forget to pick up power weapons."
"Power spawns here."
"You are awesome, bro!"

NeOak

Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out.

dat hate, let it flow let it flow while I am still enjoying MCC.
My friends quit due to the matchmaking and went back to Destiny on Xbox One.

I was going to get a Xbox One, but after they quit and I played the MCC on my brother's Xbox One... I'll wait for that Halo 5 bundle if the game is good.

No need to explain yourselves. Its already been established that you're making Not-Halo 5. The heretics will continue to subject themselves to your unholy Not-Halo filth while we puritans play the holy grail that is Halo 2.

Tablo

"Some of the Spartan Abilities are core mobility options like Clamber, Sprint and Thruster that allow for more fluid and natural movement through the environment. They should augment combat in interesting ways, when used effectively. Other abilities are offensive in nature and more oriented toward “crowd-pleaser” moves (like Charge or Ground Pound) that provide a big punctuation point in a match. At a competitive level you are not going to see many GPs attempted in close games because the risk is too high. But when someone does go for it and manages to land it, they deliver a big wow moment that pays off both for them and the viewers of the match."
CTyNkWb.gif

Halo needs to go forward, I don't mind if the slow arena matches with bizarre slow motion jumping are a thing of the past. The gameplay feels very old and stale.

I can't wait to play Halo 5 in just over two weeks. All the footage I have seen looks really good. I mean, it looks like Halo to me. Now whether it plays like Halo (although it looks to from the footage) is something I am withholding judgement on until I actually play it.

Magwik

Banned
I don't get the complaints of old Halo games being slow. Replaying them it doesn't feel slow at all. Hell matches go by much faster than I thought they did.

Halo needs to go forward, I don't mind if the slow arena matches with bizarre slow motion jumping are a thing of the past. The gameplay feels very old and stale.
...But then you could play literally anything that isn't halo. Why do people not get that halo fans want this to be like halo? If you want cod, play cod.

abadguy

Banned
What exactly is the issue with sprint again? The trend of more mobility options and/or snappier traversal (Titanfall, COD: AW, AC:U [<---despite its poor execution], even Mario Kart 8, etc.) has been fantastic. I want more options available for exploring and interacting with whatever world the game designers have created.

I've wanted better traversal in fps( Halo especially) since playing Crysis 2. It's funny that of all the Halo games at the time the first game where i actually felt like a Spartan wasn't a Halo game at all. That was one thing i liked about what 343 started in H4, making you feel like a armored super soldier. People like to put the blame on sprint for breaking Halo. It was perks/armor abilities and loadouts and random weapon drops that fucked up Halo mp. Not sprint.

Halo 5 from what i've seen is still very much Halo, but faster with more emphasis on actual movement. No shit like loadouts/perks/killstreaks etc. Looks like what Halo 4 should have been. Of course we won't know for sure how it all comes together until we actually play it though.

...But then you could play literally anything that isn't halo. Why do people not get that halo fans want this to be like halo? If you want cod, play cod.

Except the gameplay is still Halo and fuck all like COD. The problem for "Halo fans" seems to be it's not Halo 2 reskinned.

Blueblur1

Aside from the silly justification for sprint, I'm fine with what he said. I appreciate that he took the time to sit down and address one of the Halo communities. I'm sure that everything they've designed thus far will stay in the final game but I hope they really do listen to fan opinions during the beta and adjust the game as needed. I'm fine with more mobility options but they will likely have to be tweaked before launch.

This is true, but I like Halo as a series for reasons other than gameplay. I think it just needs to change things up a bit, I only dabble in Halo casually so it's probably not my place to comment, lol.

I just think Master Chief is supposed to be some kind of superhuman Spartan, why doesn't he move like one?

I'd be happy if they started by removing the dude bro attitude from the spartans and announcing every single thing that happens:

"Grenade thrown."
"Power weapons in 20 seconds."
"Power weapons in 15 seconds."
"Power weapons spawned."
"Please don't forget to pick up power weapons."
"Power spawns here."
"You are awesome, bro!"

Yeah, that gets annoying fast.
Don't forget, "Nice kill" again and again.

I don't like the IVs because so far they can be summed up as dudebros in funky power suits.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ah now the true intentions of the OP are revealed.

I think this is an incredibly unfair generalization.
Someone really needs to explain to me how this doesn't look like a more fast paced halo game and looks more like COD. Because unless all the people who played it are wrong, it definitely looks like a halo game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWPR4faubw

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

On the surface it seems like something that just lets players traverse the map more quickly, but it really isn't. Maps have to be larger to compensate for Sprint, so the time it takes to get from one end of a map to another is still pretty much the same. However, due to the larger maps, players have to choose between mobility and combat if they want to get around in a timely manner. Sprint doesn't benefit gameplay at all, it only destroys it.

Top Bottom