• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

ty_hot

As it seems impossible to remove some of the screws in my 3ds XL I think I will have to literally destroy the shell/case so that I can open it up and change the broken Pad. where can I buy a new shell? I want the whole thing, not only the covers! better if it comes with the buttons (but my buttons are fine though, only the pad is broken but I already have the replacement).

This one would be ok? LINK

I have a 3DS + Gateway that I'm trying to update so I can play Pokemon Sun. The 3DS is running FW4.5 and Gateways emunand is on 9.2. I've updated the Gateway software to the latest (The 4.2 Beta) and assumed I could just go into the emunand and update it to 11.2 but when I do I get a very generic "An error has occurred" and the system restarts

Any idea? Is it possible to update this way and not have to go the A9LH route?

-edit- Scrap that.. I had the Nintendo Servers blocked on my Router. Emunand is updating fine now

ty_hot

Finally fixed my circle pad :D Had to DESTRY my back cover and 2 of the back screws (yes, it is looking so f****** ugly) to open it up and make the change, but now everything is fine. I will order a complete shell case from China, then I can change it for a beautiful shinny shell sometime before Xmas (I HOPE).

surprisingly, playing pirated unreleased games online is apparently not recommended

If you don't do anything like that, Nintendo didn't ban AL9H users in a long time. They always could attempt to start, somehow, but it'd be surprising.

neoxdonut

Yep don't connect online with Pokemon Sun/Moon or get banned. Some are saying it's just a 15 day ban but for now now they don't know for sure.

Smo21

So I've not been able to access the store since I think my hands were unlinked when I originally did the homebrew. I'm now on ah9l and still can't access the store. I wanted to buy Pokemon sun and use the online. Any help?

n64coder

I'm interested in upgrading my New 3DS XL to have CFW. It's on 11.0.2-xx. It's my understanding that I need another 3DS with CFW to be able to do the hack. I was able to upgrade a spare 3DS to have CFW since it was an older version.

I want to confirm that I won't lose my existing purchases/saved games by doing the procedure, correct?

I understand that you're able to play out-of-region games on a CFW 3DS. Are you able to purchase games from the Japanese/European eShop and play them? Or does the out-of-region ability only apply to cartridges?

Teppic

I understand that you're able to play out-of-region games on a CFW 3DS. Are you able to purchase games from the Japanese/European eShop and play them? Or does the out-of-region ability only apply to cartridges?
You have to switch region to access the eshop in other regions. I don't think there's an easy way to do it. Cartridges works, but you won't be able to update a japanese game since you can't normally access the eshop. Not sure about EU/US.

I'm interested in upgrading my New 3DS XL to have CFW. It's on 11.0.2-xx. It's my understanding that I need another 3DS with CFW to be able to do the hack. I was able to upgrade a spare 3DS to have CFW since it was an older version.

I want to confirm that I won't lose my existing purchases/saved games by doing the procedure, correct?

The process of installing CFW involves backing up your firmware before doing anything destructive and then restoring it at the end. There should be no problems in retaining all of your currently installed and/or purchased games.

Your eshop region is tied to your NNID as well as your hardware. There are some methods to partially switch hardware regions. But it's more of a permanent modification and not something you switch back and forth depending on what game your playing. Cartridges are probably the way to go for out of region stuff. Another option may be to set up an account and buy games from other regions through your browser, then just sideload a rom from shady sources. That's clearly a notch down the ethical ladder, though.

Dambrosi

Banned
All I want to know is, if I have a New 3DS hacked to 9.2 SysNAND/Rei 11.1.0 EmuNAND, is it safe to update the EmuNAND to the latest firmware? It should be, shouldn't it, as long as I make a backup of my current EmuNAND? It's been a while since I messed with this stuff, I forget.

All I want to know is, if I have a New 3DS hacked to 9.2 SysNAND/Rei 11.1.0 EmuNAND, is it safe to update the EmuNAND to the latest firmware? It should be, shouldn't it, as long as I make a backup of my current EmuNAND? It's been a while since I messed with this stuff, I forget.
It should be. You'd be better off taking an hour and updating to the latest methods, though.

Hmm, it's that easy now? I'll do that, thanks.

For a N3DS the entire process is getting to 9.2 then running one program (and making a NANDBackup first just in case). So if you're already on another CFW setup its trivial yeah. You may need to flash your emuNAND over the sysNAND too (using a program that protects FIRM0/1) but thats pretty easy.

RS4-

I haven't actually used my 3ds in quite some time, let my nephew borrow it and told him just don't connect to anything online.

So I've got to run the whole update thing and read through the new guide since I followed the old one. Maybe running lumaupdater would be enough lol.

How's Retroarch these days? Pokemon Moon's gotten me back into using my 3DS. What are the recommended cores now? Is the PSX core any good? Mostly interested in 2D and early 3D games.

Likewise, how is SNES injection these days - anyone ever make an easy-to-use tool for it?

ss_lemonade

It's confirmed to come with 11.0 firmware, so if you're feeling patient you can wait for the proposed workaround that'll let you hack it without needing a hardmod/second 3DS with CFW. Otherwise those are your only options.
You can hack newer 3ds firmware if you have another unit at a hackable lower firmware? I currenlty have a new xl but only with reinand. Does that qualify?

Also another question. I haven't used my 3ds in a while so I'm not too sure here but is it safe to go online as long as I have my emunand updated to the latest firmware? I'll be buying both Pokemoon Moon and Sun and it would be a bummer if I can't go online without risking a guaranteed ban or something

EDIT
Nevermind about the 11.0 hack question. Just noticed it was referenced in the previous page

Young Magus

Do I need to update AL9H to get on eshop?

Ran the luma update to the newest version so luma is up-to-date wondering if AL9H needs an update as well

What's the easiest way to update A9LH? I wish it had a simple update process like Luma... last time I looked the steps to update A9LH it felt like a hassle and I haven't done it.

Do I need to update AL9H to get on eshop?

Ran the luma update to the newest version so luma is up-to-date wondering if AL9H needs an update as well

My intuition is it shouldn't. A9LH is just the thing that takes over the firmware and it does it so early in the pipeline software updates shouldn't change much, anything that actually happens after boot should be controlled by Luma. Don't blame me if I'm wrong though.

Audioboxer

A9LH doesn't really need changed. It really just acts as the kick-start to point to the .dat file on the sd card.

If you want to update it then there is a A9LH safe installer from the creator of luma. You need payload update files.

There has been a few minor tweaks to it, but it's nothing anyone really needs to bother with.

IceIpor

The latest change lets you boot without a SD card in the system though.

Or more correctly, you write luma into the CTR NAND partition of the 3DS and it boots from there.

I need some help, I've been trying to fix the 022-2634 error code and unlink my NNID from my New 3DS XL.

My SysNand shows that it has no NNID linked to it, and I've been trying to follow this guide, but Decrypt9 has not been booting for me, loads then kicks me back to the emunand homebrew channel.

I think SysNand is where I need to load Decrypt9, but seeing as I can't access the homebrew channel since Yellows8's browserhax site is down currently, I'm stuck with no direction.

I'm going to try to pickup a Black N3DS tomorrow. Assuming I can grab one and it comes with 11.2 firmware, will I be able to downgrade it still? I know there was a way to use an already hacked 3DS for some of the firmwares, but is that possible with 11.2 as well?

Edit: Looks like you can, but you have to do a System transfer. That's actually not a huge issue, since I already have a CFW N3DS, but it definitely complicates things. Especially since I was going to CFW my friend's N3DS as well. Oh well, at least it seems to still be doable.

n64coder

I'm going to try to pickup a Black N3DS tomorrow. Assuming I can grab one and it comes with 11.2 firmware, will I be able to downgrade it still? I know there was a way to use an already hacked 3DS for some of the firmwares, but is that possible with 11.2 as well?

Edit: Looks like you can, but you have to do a System transfer. That's actually not a huge issue, since I already have a CFW N3DS, but it definitely complicates things. Especially since I was going to CFW my friend's N3DS as well. Oh well, at least it seems to still be doable.

PSA - Nintendo removed many of the DSiWare titles from the eShop that allows you to downgrade an N3DS without hard-modding. I think there's only one title left (Legends of Exidia $8.99) in the store.

See https://plailect.github.io/Guide/dsiware-downgrade

Robin64

Was having trouble getting NTR working on my up-to-date AL9H'd Luma setup, nothing I did was working. Then I discovered NTR Selector, which installs from a .cia, supports the latest updates, and does everything it needs to do. Perfect!

Holy shit, they removed Fieldrunners? I literally just purchased it last weekend, thank goodness for that.

The solo console exploit can't come soon enough, I feel for those trapped on 11.2.X though. :(

Sooo.

While I was on vacation, my cousin updated my 3DS.

It's now ver 11,1,19-34E.

I have a gateway and was on 8 or 9. something before, tbh I haven't used it in like a year.

How fucked am I?

Is he dead to me?

Sooo.

While I was on vacation, my cousin updated my 3DS.

It's now ver 11,1,19-34E.

I have a gateway and was on 8 or 9. something before, tbh I haven't used it in like a year.

How fucked am I?

Is he dead to me?
Well, you can always hard mod. Otherwise, you'll need another 3DS that's already exploited with a legit copy of an exploitable DSi game that you can system transfer over. Nintendo just slammed the door on a bunch of those games though, so if you don't already have one, I'm not sure if that works anymore.

There's supposedly another exploit forthcoming that works on 11.0 and 11.1, but no real clue on when it's going to be made available. Just don't update further and you might have an option sooner or later.

jimwhat

Is it currently possible to play a legit copy of Pokemon Sun/Moon without updating to the current firmware?

i.e. Can I play on 11.0 in hopes of future mods?

There's supposedly another exploit forthcoming that works on 11.0 and 11.1, but no real clue on when it's going to be made available. Just don't update further and you might have an option sooner or later.

I guess it's down to that.

Thanks.

Well it's not like I was using it much anyways.

Still, cuz is going to get some ass whooping the next time I see him.

Opa-Pa

Is it currently possible to play a legit copy of Pokemon Sun/Moon without updating to the current firmware?

i.e. Can I play on 11.0 in hopes of future mods?

Yeah, the game doesn't include an update, and even if you want a digital copy, you can just use ctr httpwn and get eshop access for it.

MechaX

depends on what you want. if you want CFW, no it can't unless you downgrade.

Assuming that I just want the ability to play region free (mainly, I am interested in importing the 3DS Super Robot Wars games from Japan), how much of a hassle would it be for modding the Black Friday n3DS?

Madao

Assuming that I just want the ability to play region free (mainly, I am interested in importing the 3DS Super Robot Wars games from Japan), how much of a hassle would it be for modding the Black Friday n3DS?

Region Free can be activated if you have access to an entrypoint. i believe even the latest FW can use it. the hard part is installing an entrypoint if you only have the BF 3DS.

Browserhax had an update that worked on 11.0. the BF 3DS should be able to use that unless it doesn't come with a browser.

at worst, you'd need another 3DS and one of the carts with an entrypoint to get region free working on a BF 3DS. i've used JKSV on my up to date non-CFW 3DS and i only needed to install the newest hax in the cart i use as an entrypoint (i use a Paper Mario SS cart for that). using region free is not too different since it's one of the basic homebrew apps.

Sorry if this has been answered, so I'm reading this page from the guide about doing the DSiWare Downgrade method (using one CFW 3DS to hack a 11.0.0 3DS)... Questions:

1. Do I need to have a NNID on the source 3DS? I haven't setup one. The guide says ("The source 3DS’s NNID will be stuck on the target 3DS unless you either system transfer back or call Nintendo")

2. Legends of Exidia is the only currently available exploitable game that hasn't been pulled, correct? So I better buy that stat, right? Can I simply fire the eShop and buy it or do I need to do anything first? I'm on 11.1.0 arm9loaderhax

Edit: Is an exploit for firmwares lower than 11.2 that doesn't require DSiWare coming for sure? And any idea how long it's going to take? Not sure if I should wait or jump on Exidia before it gets pulled too.

t26

Actually httpwn itself does that too! It blocks all update prompts and gives you theme shop, eshop, and general online access. Pretty handy.

So on 11.0 I just need use Homebrew Launcher and then httpwn correct? What is the easier way to use Homebrew Launcher on 11.0?

Talyn

iirc, that is possible but the emulator won't run full speed since the type of homebrew accesible on latest FW without CFW doesn't have access to the whole system.
the one that ran best on a o3DS was blargSNES iirc.
A port of SNES9x is now the fastest way to emulate the SNES on an o3DS although in some cases blargSNES will still be more accurate.

Opa-Pa

So on 11.0 I just need use Homebrew Launcher and then httpwn correct? What is the easier way to use Homebrew Launcher on 11.0?

Correct, but unfortunately I'm not really up to date with current entry points... I was going to test browserhax just in case but it seems the 3DS browser is update blocked even with httpwn enabled.

I used a very extreme method once that required to saw off part of my OoT3D cartridge to fit into my NDS Lite, to overwrite its save file with a hacked one via flashcart but that's obviously not a popular one, haha.

Smilehax is another one but I'm pretty sure that downloading the app now will get you the patched version. I'm sure there must be some methods that still work, but I can't help you there.

If you know someone who already has homebrew tho there's a handful of options. If you own ORAS you can use basehax, for example.

IceIpor

Sorry if this has been answered, so I'm reading this page from the guide about doing the DSiWare Downgrade method (using one CFW 3DS to hack a 11.0.0 3DS)... Questions:

1. Do I need to have a NNID on the source 3DS? I haven't setup one. The guide says ("The source 3DS’s NNID will be stuck on the target 3DS unless you either system transfer back or call Nintendo")

2. Legends of Exidia is the only currently available exploitable game that hasn't been pulled, correct? So I better buy that stat, right? Can I simply fire the eShop and buy it or do I need to do anything first? I'm on 11.1.0 arm9loaderhax

Edit: Is an exploit for firmwares lower than 11.2 that doesn't require DSiWare coming for sure? And any idea how long it's going to take? Not sure if I should wait or jump on Exidia before it gets pulled too.

1. You don't need an NNID, it'll just get stuck if you do have one.
2. I believe that is correct.
3. No clue on the exploit status. Just don't ever system update the 3DS if you want to wait.

Top Bottom