• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was nervous about the scratching issue so I stuck two grey bumpers on the blue 3DS XL I got at Best Buy yesterday.

Good idea. I was thinking about doing this last night when I re-bumpered the back of my XL's display to take away some of the flop. But the bumpers I have are square. Maybe I will pick up some round ones tonight and copy your setup to prevent possible screen scratching.

Here are some pictures of my new bumper placement:

3DSXLbumperback.jpg

3DSXLbumperopen.jpg

I placed it next to the right hinge because that seems to be the only one with any tension. It audibly snaps into the different locking positions. The left hinge doesn't seem to have any tension at all. This also keeps the bumper out of the way of the cartridge slot and the nylon strap that goes over the cartridge slot area when my XL is in its case.

Carlisle

My wife got me one as a Christmas gift, and we picked it up on Friday. I was holding out for better colors, but when Best Buy knocked $20 off, we decided blue was a lot hotter looking than we thought at first. But then playing with it first hand, the blue really is a gorgeous shade. And the hardware feels so good in the hands. Even if it feels plasticky, the feel is much softer and more natural to hold than the harder edges of the original. It is much better designed than the original, though I don't think anything will top the DS Lite. I'll say the XL comes closest though.

One thing I'm beginning to dearly miss is the charging cradle. Since the system is always on and always online and always draining the battery, I took for granted how much the cradle of the original simplified the process of keeping a charged system readily available.

So I'm at the Nintendo online store, hovering over the checkout button with a $25 XL charging cradle. But I feel so stupid paying that much for a piece of molded plastic. Anyone else get one yet?

Busaiku

Is System Transfer a one time thing?
Or would I be able to go back and forth between my current 3DS and my XL, like say if I wanted Nintendo to give me a new 3DS XL assuming I get one of the models that gets screen scratching?

Boney

Banned
Is System Transfer a one time thing?
Or would I be able to go back and forth between my current 3DS and my XL, like say if I wanted Nintendo to give me a new 3DS XL assuming I get one of the models that gets screen scratching?
5 times.

But Maybe Nintendo transferring stuff over wouldn't count as one.

Phoenixus

So I'm at the Nintendo online store, hovering over the checkout button with a $25 XL charging cradle. But I feel so stupid paying that much for a piece of molded plastic. Anyone else get one yet?

I think you can import one from Playasia or similar sites for cheaper. Really have to get round to doing that myself. :p

Carlisle

I tried Play Asia too and it's the same price as the Nintendo online store after shipping (US). I think I'm just going to bite the bullet. I thought it might be cool if Nintendo offered it up as a Club Nintendo points prize, but that would make too much sense.

The price is a bit ridiculous but I ended up getting one and have never looked back. You just can't beat the convenience. I just throw it onto the charger on my nightstand every night, and it saves me many seconds of fumbling around with the power cord.

Carlisle

The price is a bit ridiculous but I ended up getting one and have never looked back. You just can't beat the convenience. I just throw it onto the charger on my nightstand every night, and it saves me many seconds of fumbling around with the power cord.

Ordered. It's definitely something I took for granted with the original 3DS. I didn't know how useful it was until my first night playing in bed, and then getting up to charge it when I was done. It took me a hot minute to find the slot for the charger plug, and I realized how much of a godsend the cradle had been. Yeah, yeah 1st world problems, but it's a huge PITA when you just want to get back to bed and get to sleep.

Now the wait for delivery begins.

Fabrik

Banned
I think 3DS already passed DS as my favourite handheld console. In less than 2 years, OoT3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising are all classics IMO and infinitely replayable (As a classic is supposed to be), plus Pullblox, Fallblox, Picross-e and the best of DSiware always in the system, it's awesome. With Paper Mario and Fire Emblem still coming, it's only going to get better. All it needs is a brand new and fresh Zelda and a return to form for the Metroid franchise and it will be perfect. And I'm not even counting 3rd party games like Ace Attorney 5 or Professor Layton. It's already my primary gaming platform.

tim.mbp

Just got back from Target with a red XL. Watching the pikmin work. Much better feel to it than my launch blue 3DS. No more wobbly hinge or slick glossy finish. Only real downside for me is the sound and the SD card seems harder to eject.

Chopper

I've raved about Nintendo Customer Service before, but I'm pretty damn annoyed with them right now. I sent in my XL to repair the 3D switch, which came away from the mechanism inside the console when I tried to turn 3D on one day, and just rattled about. I sent the console off for repair last week, have heard nothing, so just called them.

Apparently the console suffered "physical damage between us supplying it to you and you sending it off for repair". That massive damage being my finger pushing the switch upwards.

As a result they have charged me £77.50 to repair the unit, including its screen scratches. They refused to fix the scratches and leave the switch. It was an all or nothing deal. Furious.

Chopper

Thats pretty cuntish. Did you fight them on this much?
They shouldn't have been allowed to dictate that :/
I just told him I thought it was outrageous. But wasn't gonna get too stressed out, cos I really want that switch fixed. He really didn't seem interested in the fact that the damage was caused by me using the switch normally.

Edit: Quoted for new page:
I've raved about Nintendo Customer Service before, but I'm pretty damn annoyed with them right now. I sent in my XL to repair the 3D switch, which came away from the mechanism inside the console when I tried to turn 3D on one day, and just rattled about. I sent the console off for repair last week, have heard nothing, so just called them.

Apparently the console suffered "physical damage between us supplying it to you and you sending it off for repair". That massive damage being my finger pushing the switch upwards.

As a result they have charged me £77.50 to repair the unit, including its screen scratches. They refused to fix the scratches and leave the switch. It was an all or nothing deal. Furious.

Sleepy

Finally got to get some hands-on at a local Gamestop (I never go there anymore, but when I did there was always some kid playing) and I have to say it is pretty awesome. Screen, d-pad, weight-- all good. Now just waiting for a different color.

Izick

I wish the 3DS XL had some better deals this Black Friday. Only gaming platform that I don't own that I'm interested in at this point.

Curufinwe

I like my 3DS XL a lot more now that I realized I hadn't actually pushed the 3D slider all the way down. Now that I have, I think I might keep it there permanently.

MNC

Just got a 3ds xl and I'm loving it, I have a problem though, the orange light is still on even after about 3-4 hours of charge, is this normal?

There's a yellow light to the side that indicates wifi is turned on. Try changing the slider to the side to see if the light turns off.

Wiz

According to a gamefaqs poster, All Black 3DS XL bundle w/ Mario Kart coming on Dec. 7th? (NA)

Not a 100% confirmed source obviously. But this would align with the one year anniversary of MK7 and Europe is getting an all white bundle with the game as well.

Yeah I was thinking about doing the same...and I just bought mine last week too.

Well, I've had mine for a little over a month now. So I won't feel TOO bad.

edit: My wife will give me a mountain of shit though. LOL

edit 2: Kind of ridiculous that NoA didn't see fit to give Westerners a more adult color in the first place. I realize their argument is that black and white handhelds do not sell well in America. I am willing to bet that, unlike the DS, the 3DS is more attractive to the older audience now that dedicated handhelds are becoming such a niche market. That older user base probably would prefer more subdued palette.

Going forward I think NoA needs to adjust their 3DS marketing to cater to an older demographic.

zruben

Banned
hey guys, something weird happened with my 3dsXL last night.

I put my system in sleep mode while playing Mario Kart 7... and I resumed playing later... the first thing that happened after the system "woke" was that the red light of "low battery" started to blink like crazy.

I returned to the home screen to see my battery and it was still full... and it "behave" like it was full.

so... the thing that freaked me out a little was the red blinking with no apparent reason. Has it happened to anyone here?.

Wiz

Well, I've had mine for a little over a month now. So I won't feel TOO bad.

edit: My wife will give me a mountain of shit though. LOL

edit 2: Kind of ridiculous that NoA didn't see fit to give Westerners a more adult color in the first place. I realize their argument is that black and white handhelds do not sell well in America. I am willing to bet that, unlike the DS, the 3DS is more attractive to the older audience now that dedicated handhelds are becoming such a niche market. That older user base probably would prefer more subdued palette.

Going forward I think NoA needs to adjust their 3DS marketing to cater to an older demographic.

I agree. Some of their recent color choices are a bit odd, even for the regular 3DS. Black was cool, but Aqua Blue was a bit weird. And now with this, we get Red & Blue and Pink, which leaves no neutral colors at the moment.

Arc07

Bought a red XL on day one. Dead pixel. Returned it for another one the next day. Opened up my XL to download the update for Zelda II. Dead pixel in the same fucking spot as my first one. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom