• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii U is going to have all games available as a digital download. The 3DS is suppose to have at the very least all major first-party games available starting with NSMB2.
Hmm, well it is a step in the right direction! Still very disappointed though, I don't know I how I got it into my head I'd be able to just slap an sd card in it and play some ridge racer. :(

Teknoman

I kind of like surround mode, especially when playing games like Pilotwings, Resident evil Revelations, and Zelda. The positional sounds in those games are amazing.

I'm no photographer, but I hope those will do the job:

If anyone is not sure about buying a red one, trust me - it looks fantastic. Different shades of red under different light etc. Very classy. Stock photos don't do it justice.

Amazing pics. The red looks so, so nice.

The more I see the XL, the more it looks like an amalgamation of something distinctly Japanese and a creation from Jim Henson. It has an almost cute, muppet like whimsy + Japanese quality. Maybe I'm just imaginative? (o_0)

I wonder how the system looks open, but from the rear....?

Kacho

How is the sound quality on the XL? Any improvement over the original model?

Also, why are Americans getting this thing a month later?

How is the sound quality on the XL? Any improvement over the original model?

Also, why are Americans getting this thing a month later?

As a vote of confidence, from Nintendo, that it will sell alongside NSMB2 - which releases the same day.

Sucks.

At least for those of us long time 3DS owners, who would buy upgrade and would buy NSMB2, too...regardless of whether one came before the other. It's the non adopters and hope of mega sales Nintendo wants. No risk on August 19.

Some users are going to hate me for all those photos :p

But I love ya for 'em. The shower one was exceptionally funny.

Ragus

Banned
I wonder how the system looks open, but from the rear....?

Some users are going to hate me for all those photos :p

1e661195.jpg

IrishNinja

Man I've been trying to hold off on getting this since I really want a white one and I'm hoping maybe the would come to the US by Christmas but I'm not sure I'll be able to, really curious to see how gamestop's 3ds trade in works.

1) so far we're reading GS gives like $110 (?) and you get time to do a full system transfer. im likely gonna sell my zelda unit on ebay and buy the XL for a profit, personally.
2) white is a really boring color to be holding out for, man!

Ocarina Of Time 3D on XL looks just..

iYfPC0qhCSLe1.gif

so very glad i waited on my replay. how does anyone knock that art style? it just looks fantastic, and god knows majora's mask remake is gonna be amazing with it.

People getting an XL, don't forget - there was an option in the 3DS settings that defaulted to 'surround' or something for audio. If you turn it off, the speakers' maximum volume improves.

It might be defaulted to on in the XL as well.

i had no idea this was even a thing, prolly explains why ive wished my unit could get louder at max too.

One thing. If it's a system clone, what about your friends list, due to the system friends code being tied to the system itself?

yeah, ive transferred back & forth and not lost any of that. seriously, it's literally every detail of your system as it was.

You people who are honestly getting all offended and huffy about someone "stealing" Ambassador status from a demo 3DS are just too much. Really? Of all the things that you could choose to moan about, you go with that?

Bear in mind that I:
- Paid $250 for a 3DS at launch, making me a "true Ambassador" or whatever
- Am staunchly anti-game piracy
- Generally do not condone stealing

But I also think it's great when people find ways to successfully game the system. Transferring Ambassador status from a demo unit 3DS that's going to be scrapped anyway is not stealing -- it's being resourceful. And the GBA games haven't been made available to anyone else anyway, so why not try to get them if you can? Nintendo's not losing any money, and if the worst that can happen is that you make "true Ambassadors" complain about how you're getting what they "deserved" and got for "free" from Nintendo, then... I'd say that's a pretty good reason to do it, actually. Go forth and prosper!

But seriously. I paid my $250 and got my Ambassador status the legit way, but more power to those of you who missed that window but are still finding ways to get it via other means.

Etzer

1) so far we're reading GS gives like $110 (?) and you get time to do a full system transfer. im likely gonna sell my zelda unit on ebay and buy the XL for a profit, personally.
That deal was only from July 20 to July 22 (it was $100; apparently the 10% PUR bonus doesn't apply to console trade-ins). Right now, they'll give you $50 for a 3DS. I don't think GS has given any details on their 3DS->3DSXL trade-in deal yet.

IrishNinja

ah, my bad...i guess i'd expect something similar around that time, and i do recall reading you'd be given time to do a full system transfer at least.
amazon will prolly give you more either way, and GAF's own buy/sell thread is always a better resource!

true Gek

How is Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS XL Screen? It looks nice?

It's the only game that I actually have, but I haven't the console XD

How is Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS XL Screen? It looks nice?

It's the only game that I actually have, but I haven't the console XD

I dont have and xl, But i do have ToTA and i can guess it will look terrible. The jaggies in that game are staggering even on the 3ds' tiny screen. Imagining that blown up on a screen 90% bigger is just......ungh

muu

for $50 or something I'd much rather keep the system and use it to game the Streetpass system. Unlockable content after x streetpasses is great if you're in a population center, but...

Eusis

I dont have and xl, But i do have ToTA and i can guess it will look terrible. The jaggies in that game are staggering even on the 3ds' tiny screen. Imagining that blown up on a screen 90% bigger is just......ungh
On the other hand the 3DS screen DOES feel as if it's too small for the game anyway, so who knows? I think it's going to be a YMMV case. Although if the screen's actually somewhat different and kills the washed out look that'd be nice, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Adamator

Someone asked this a bit ago and I may of missed the answer, but what is the deal with friend codes as far as transferring them to an XL? My friends list is pretty small, but I want to keep those I have obviously.

Will they be included in a system transfer or are we going to want to write them down?

Drago

So after calling Nintendo, apparently they don't do modifications to the system that would change the region. Shit.

The long wait to White begins... :(

That deal was only from July 20 to July 22 (it was $100; apparently the 10% PUR bonus doesn't apply to console trade-ins). Right now, they'll give you $50 for a 3DS. I don't think GS has given any details on their 3DS->3DSXL trade-in deal yet.

Went to GS today and spoke to an employee I know pretty well, he figured they'd probably give an extra 30% to a 3DS trade in towards an XL like they normally do for trade-ups. He couldn't speak to the transfer though, I'm really hoping they let me transfer and trade.

Getting very tempted to pre-order one of these in amazon.co.uk
Love my vita, but playing through Zelda again on 3DS was something special.

My plan, go for this XL

7DWwi.png

use white stickers to make it into this 3DS
9PwUa.jpg

Risgroo

Oh wow, this is getting veeery tempting. I like the 3DS library, but my hands hurt like hell after 30 minutes of playing the damn thing. OoT on an XL is sounding very sweet right now.

bumpkin

I'm really trying to resist the urge to upgrade, but after seeing all of these photos and reading all of the impressions, I feel as though I'm losing the battle... I wasn't hot on red or blue as the only available colors, but the red looks a lot better than I was expecting it to TBH. Not to mention that would match wonderfully with my red Club Nintendo drawstring pouch.

*Ffffuuuuuuuuuuu JPG*

OMG Aero

I kind of like surround mode, especially when playing games like Pilotwings, Resident evil Revelations, and Zelda. The positional sounds in those games are amazing.
Honest question, how does surround sound even work with just two speakers in front of you?

NeoRausch

Honest question, how does surround sound even work with just two speakers in front of you?

Fairydust and nintendium

room simulatiom in stereo. Works so great because you are always in front of the speakers.

google virutal haircut audio, download it and try the best set of headphanes you have.

also: for prerecorded stuff, the binaural microphones are crazy awesome. You know, thatse head shaped things.

Boney

Banned
So after calling Nintendo, apparently they don't do modifications to the system that would change the region. Shit.

The long wait to White begins... :(

they probably can, but not just standard costumer service practice after what Midnight Scott said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom