• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a sexy red XL for 175 euros which is a pretty good price i think!

It's charging right now but i am eager to find out if i have a warm/warm or cool/cool screen combo or the dreaded warm/cool one which i'd probably have to go and exchange then :( we will see!

IrishNinja

goddamn the lot of you

im here grinding on Theaterhythm and trying not to think about how much better it's gonna look in just over 3 weeks (;_;)

ps is there any chance it'll fit in this case? its got cushions on all the sides currently, fitted for a DS lite but hopefully itll do!

Xig3t.jpg

weredog

Neo Member
So is there any definitive word on the transfer situation with GAME in the UK or should I just go for the Gamestop deal? Can we get cash instead of store credit? I'm wary about the Gamestop as I don't want to risk my 3DS going missing.

Bumhead

Banned
Just picked up my 3DS XL from HMV. Tesco let me down but managed to get the 3DS XL and a free charger for £179.99. They had a deal on where you could also get New Art Academy with the system but I passed and may just pick up Colours 3D later off the eShop.

Went for red in the end.

Robso, might be worth a trip to HMV if you have one nearby.

Also something to note was that a bloke being served next to me was having his system data transferred in store. I didn't know the details as im selling my OG 3DS to a mate but it might be an option for those that need it. Don't know if its available in every store. Its the first I've heard or seen of HMV doing it.

I just bought Pullblox/Pushmo and I have 9 more euro's to spend in the eShop. Are there any more essential games I should buy? I bought Dillon's Rolling Western on my original 3DS and it was pretty cool, but pretty dull at some points, so I'd rather buy something fresh now.

Is Mutant Mudds any good?
YesYesYes! Mutant Mudds is my favourite eShop game. Buy it!

-GJ-

Playing on this XL system makes me think about how bad I want Animal Crossing 3DS. Time to pick up the original DS game, which I sold years ago, I guess.

I think the speakers on mine are defective. :(

When I play the flowers video that comes with it at max volume the speakers crackle like absolute fuck. Can't get it to do it with anything else but it's totally atrocious on that and I don't want it to come up again in the future. Think I'll have to send it back.

Flowers video?
And my speakers seem fine for the most part but it felt like something was badly resonating when I was playing Metroid Fusion and some low bass tones played during the start of the level. :-/

Just got my 3DS XL, it's very nice!

When I was transferring my data from my old 3DS to the XL, it failed at the 5th step. :S

When I tried to re-transfer the data, I realised that the old 3DS has been reset to factory settings.

What is transferred in this 5th step?

If it's only the games I've downloaded from the 3DS eShop, it's okay, because it seems I can redownload them (even the ambassador games.)

Also where is the flowers video???

Flowers video?
And my speakers seem fine for the most part but it felt like something was badly resonating when I was playing Metroid Fusion and some low bass tones played during the start of the level. :-/

Kingdom of Plants, comes with the 3DS XL. I don't know if it gets wiped if you do a system transfer.

DSmalls84

Really wish I could get silver in the US but I'll get the red I suppose. Can't wait to try Re: Revelaitions and Snake Eater 3d on the XL.

If this is even remotely true you can forget about Amazon ever carrying it, I expect.

Edit: we'll know better after people have it for a couple weeks. I'd probably have it in my back pocket a lot, and wouldn't want that pressure scratching the damn screen again.

Fingers crossed.

amazon carries 3ds now, they just dont sell it themselves

Haven't been in this thread in ages, so cut me some slack if this has been answered a bajillion times.

How do DS games look on this? Better than the awfulness of the original model?

Robin64

Alright, so I picked one up from GAME after trading in a bunch of stuff. They seemed surprised when I didn't take them on their offer of half-price console care (down from £40 to just £20!).

Sadly I'm at work, so the most I can do is a system update to get it ready for a system transfer when I get home. Luckily it comes mostly charged.

The PPI though, yowch.. It's noticable just how low it is on the menus, especially after the 3DS looks so nice. I'm hoping that being in games will make it less obvious.

Thanks...gonna give it a try

Where did you buy?

@Steve McQueen: Some shots of the red and the blue next to each other would be great!

I dunno if I'm gonna open the red one today....Got major problems adjusting to the 3D on the 3DS XL....very annoying tbh. I keep moving the screen before my eyes, bt somehow, the can't cope with the new screen. That sucks. Gonna play some more on the blue one ( belongs to my son ) and see if I can manage to adjust. My eyes feel kinda tired right now, because I had to focus every second. Anyone else having the same problem?

Santiako

I dunno if I'm gonna open the red one today....Got major problems adjusting to the 3D on the 3DS XL....very annoying tbh. I keep moving the screen before my eyes, bt somehow, the can't cope with the new screen. That sucks. Gonna play some more on the blue one ( belongs to my son ) and see if I can manage to adjust. My eyes feel kinda tired right now, because I had to focus every second. Anyone else having the same problem?

No, I find the bigger screen's 3D to be easier to the eyes actually.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm really not sure which to get. :(
I have the same problem. First it had to be the silver model, but after I saw all those amazing photos I really can't decide. I never would have imagined that I like the red colour because when I first saw some pics at amazon I wasn't really convinced. But the photos of the red one that have been posted here made me rethink my decision. :)

Thanks for all the new console GET! pics pr0n everyone :).

EDIT: nevermind; I just ordered one from Amazon Italy for 150 squids! :D

Any advance on HMV and Game selling this early in the UK? I am popping out soon and wonder if Asda or Sainsbury's have broken the street date like these two desperate for monies retailers.

Jackano

For those gettings errors: I read on another forum that on the new 3DSXL system if you have the blue "first steps" icon notifications it may cause some bug during the transfer. Read the first steps notifications before trying the transfer again. I didn't see it for myself so, I can't promise you this is actually a problem.

Blue looks even better in person, it's close to Sonic Blue so I'm a happy camper~

Though surprised Nintendo has flashed the XL with the original firmware, rather than providing it with the updated one out the box. Checked my system and can't see any scratches or imperfections, do have a "warm" top screen (I think? it's taking AGES to update), but I can live with that.

Pics, I'm curious as to if it's muted, darker or really bright blue....

=(^_^)=

The stand works perfectly

Games, pouch and XLence all around

I see you have Mercs 3D! I love that game. I use the name Tri[cell] (corny I know), should match up sometime! :)

ugh first time charging it and it's been 2 and a half hours, the orange light is still blinking, is that normal? How long till it's fully charged normally?

SHarris78

Charging up my new red XL, its sooo nice. Was getting worried that i shouldve chosen a blue one because it looked very nice indeed, but as i've never owned a red console i though sod it. And i'm glad i did!!

Please add me as a 'friend', new code is : 3823 9718 1341

Send me a PM if you add me so i can add you back.

Hokhoku

Banned
So a question to 3DSXL owners!

Is the 2D quality of 3ds games better on the XL or not?
Can you notice the stretching?
Does it ruin the image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom