• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakipon

So it's basically an extend street date for US

I wonder if anyone will break it
Wonder if there's problems with availability, like not enough stock for a proper launch yet? Any other theories why they'd want to sit on XLs for a month?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wonder if there's problems with availability, like not enough stock for a proper launch yet? Any other theories why they'd want to sit on XLs for a month?

jbrT0vbEnrEkVm.png

Reggie's punishing us for demanding too much.

any pics of red and blue side by side?

I've got a blue and red one ( dunno if I should open the red one though, still deciding on that ), but I can tell you that not one picture in this thread comes close to the real colors. The blue looks beautiful and looks kinda like Sonic blue indeed. If I open the red one tonight. I'll post some pics ( for what it's worth )

NeoRausch

HOLY SHIT! THAT SCREEN IS HUGHE IN REAL LIFE! boy!
but it's sooooooo much more comfortable. lovely!

didnt have much time to playtest it...'cause Pikminwork!

my silver one has definitly a warme color tone as you can see. but i don't mind it. not as i will nothic it if i start the games.

any wishes for specific shots of the silver system you want? i can post some later on.

I just received my 3DS XL from TheHut today :)

...Now I dont want to hype this issue up since it could just be my 3DS XL, but as soon as I opened it up I noticed a problem - there are small 'dot' marks scattered about my top screen which form two 'lines' :(

The 'dots' seem to match up with the plastic edges of the bottom screen. There was no foam protective sheet between the screens like the original 3DS had when new, so i'm guessing there was some friction/particles between the screens during transit, or just after manufacture and this has caused these dots.

Below is the best pic I could come up with using super macro mode on my camera - I had to aim a light bulb at the area so the dots would show up in the light, otherwise they are really hard to photograph. There are more dots than you can see in the photo, but they are only visible where they have reflected the light:-

The dots are mostly present on the right side, although there are also a few on the left as well. I have tried to wipe them off with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth hoping that they were just smudges, but it didnt help.

I'm sure the new rubber bumpers would have helped, but at least on mine they dont appear to be tall enough to provide adequate clearance between the screens <EDIT - There is a tiny clearance/gap, but apply a small amount of pressure and the top half bends and the screens touch - at least on my unit> I just cant understand why Nintendo hasn't made the bumpers a bit bigger than they actually needed to be in order to prevent a similar issue happening again.

To me this is even more annoying than the 3DS screen scratching problem, since the marks are there from new so there is no way to prevent them (I had intended to keep the foam sheet between the screens until I could order some Hori screen protectors)

On the brightside the dots are not really visible when its turned on, so i'm not sure if I should return it or not. Am I just too much of a perfectionist, or does Gaf think its an issue worth returning it for? I'm concerned that a replacement would end up with the yellow screen problem or dead pixels etc.

I have the same issue.
The scratches (dots) are on both sides.

That's really bad, Nintendo...

Then do the right thing and wait for White ;)

Red isn't bad but Blue makes me want to throw up, so by my logic go with the red :p

White is assy to me. I'm verrrrrrrrry meticulous with my things. I already HATE being OCD about smudges on my Vita or the constant scrubbing off of any grease from my 3DS. I'm excited for the matte finish (black), because I won't have to scrub every piece of dust or slight smear away - they won't be visible like the gloss of 3DS and Vita. Now, you say white 3DS XL? I don't think so. Noooooooooooo way am I getting a white matte handheld. That's just asking for noticing any slight discoloration or yellowing, any grime that sets in the engraved trigger letters/or buttons....no way, will not get white. It's attractive, but the OCD dread makes it so very unappealing.

I'm really leaning toward blue, which begs this question:

I've got a blue and red one ( dunno if I should open the red one though, still deciding on that ), but I can tell you that not one picture in this thread comes close to the real colors. The blue looks beautiful and looks kinda like Sonic blue indeed.If I open the red one tonight. I'll post some pics ( for what it's worth )

Modern or old Sonic? /:eek:/

I have the same issue.
The scratches (dots) are on both sides.

That's really bad, Nintendo...

I think it's something that happens during the manufacturing. I can't really see anything on the XL that would make those marks. Even if the screens touch, it wouldn't leave marks like that. The face buttons wouldn't touch that part of the screen. They aren't higher than the bottom screen anyway, so they can't be the culprit either.

people need to handle there shit more carefully me thinks

I am jealous of all you europeans

I seriously doubt it's something that the user would cause in any way. Like I said, I can't see anything on the machine that would cause marks like that.

Santiako

Hey Santaiko,
Tried it a couple of times, but it doesn't work ( for me at least ). The message on the screen says I can transfer again over 7 days...will I be able to transfer the rest then?

If you already made the transfer, you don't have to do it again, just move the things from the old SD to the new one.

bumpkin

I don't know if this has been answered yet or not, but how big of an SD card does the XL come with? Is it 2GB again (or none at all)?

Does the transfer from 3DS to 3DS XL move everything on the SD cards as well? If not, can I just put my old SD card in the new XL after the transfer with everything already on it?

Seik

Banned
I think it's something that happens during the manufacturing. I can't really see anything on the XL that would make those marks. Even if the screens touch, it wouldn't leave marks like that. The face buttons wouldn't touch that part of the screen. They aren't higher than the bottom screen anyway, so they can't be the culprit either.

Yep, that shit is stuff of mystery.

I think I'll bring a printed version of Link83's post with the scratches and open the box live at the retailer. Automatic exchange if there's anything like that. :/

Drago

Red is my favorite of the color/black models. It's nice, but it still looks tacky and has a 'young kids toy' vibe to me. :p

White>>>Red>Silver>>Blue imo

If you already made the transfer, you don't have to do it again, just move the things from the old SD to the new one.

I tried but I dunno what I´ve been doing wrong. At first I transfered. After that I forgot that my son ...it was his 3ds... had some ambassador games. Then I tried to copy the files like you said, to the new 3ds xl. But computer says no :D The lost games still don´t show up, only when I put in the old 2GB card they will show.

I think my DSi XL was warmer screens than the other models I had too, didn't really bother me though. I think I just like the big screens so much that I accepted it easier.... that sort of thing would usually bother me lol.

I tried but I dunno what I´ve been doing wrong. At first I transfered. After that I forgot that my son ...it was his 3ds... had some ambassador games. Then I tried to copy the files like you said, to the new 3ds xl. But computer says no :D The lost games still don´t show up, only when I put in the old 2GB card they will show.

I made the transfer recently from a 2GB card to a 4GB card, take the stuff on the 2GB and put in your computer, then put the files of the 2GB that you put in the computer on the 4GB card.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Got my 3DS XL today and have to say I think it is amazing. Went for plain old silver myself as it kind of reminded me of my very first DS that I bought back in the day. The screen is huge and it is very unlikely I'll be using the original 3DS at all now. A bit ridiculous it doesn't come with a power adaptor at least but other than that I have no complaints.

jbueno

Anyone watching the Olympics show? A kid was playing with what seemed to be a 3DS XL unit, wonder if Nintendo paid to have it on there.

Just got me new xl, going to give old 3ds back to the store. I think Nintendo is really fooling people with their strategy. Not more about that, but it's really evident when you get the xl in your hands first time in your home and be actually able to compare the two systems side by side... I think they have had the blueprints for xl ready for quite some time. Etc :)

System transfer going on - transfarring. I bet it will crash or stop.

edit: and the bigger one is piss yellow hued compared to cool og 3ds. But it's ok, at least both of the panels are the same hue. Actually yellow tint makes it bigger somehow.

I just wait to see some WiiUtanic connectivity.

edit: oh yeah and lost my ambassador games because of stupid way to transfer. wtf, i deal with with fucking renderfarms every day and and this p o s fails to comply. way to go nintendo-h.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom