• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy shit people are finally coming around to WebM.

Took them long enough, Jesus.

Kreed

Google has been doing some great things with webm, but I honestly never even thought about using it in this fashion to replace GIFs vs just using it for web videos. But it really makes sense considering how small the files are.

Holy shit people are finally coming around to WebM.

Took them long enough, Jesus.

we-were-so-wrong.gif

look at how shitty this gif is goddamn

mh, maybe someone could write a userscript for GAF that embeds them + auto-loop?

Not the same as official support but I also use the embed youtube script and it's nice. I guess it's not the same, as e.g. reaction gifs kinda have to be visible for everyone to really work.

edit: oh, already on the way :D

Trouble

Banned
GAF doesn't host binary data aside from avatars, so you'd need to find a host that does and then ask Evi to show a video tag.

This isn't unthinkable.

The HTML5 video tag has a muted attribute, so a [WEBM] tag could be created similar to an tag and do a muted embed. Heck, it probably wouldn't be insanely difficult to make the [IMG] tag recognize the .webm extension and act appropriately.

Of course, there isn't a sane way to restrict video dimension or file size, but that's already the case with [IMG].

riotous

Banned
This isn't unthinkable.

The HTML5 video tag has a muted attribute, so a [WEBM] tag could be created similar to an tag and do a muted embed. Heck, it probably wouldn't be insanely difficult to make the [IMG] tag recognize the .webm extension and act appropriately.

Of course, there isn't a sane way to restrict video dimension or file size, but that's already the case with [IMG].[/QUOTE]

The problem is browser support, not the difficulty in getting their customized VBulletin to support the format.

Official support encourages use, and isn't very inclusive of the entire GAF userbase. Whereas animated GIFs are supported in almost all browsing situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom