• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500GB and 1TB Xbox One S bundles arriving August 23

SOR5

Because it looks sexy as fuck.

The fat Xbox One is designed to blend in with your home equipment and not offend anyone or cause any problems, the Xbone S however is so designed to stand out and look proud, like it would be a pleasure to have in your setup.

The shapes are relatively similar, but the size, patterns, texture and colors show how different the design mantra is

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The fat Xbox One is designed to blend in with your home equipment and not offend anyone or cause any problems, the Xbone S however is so designed to stand out and look proud, like it would be a pleasure to have in your setup.

The shapes are relatively similar, but the size, patterns, texture and colors show how different the design mantra is
Yeaahh....I don't see the whole stand out/blend in stuff you are talking about. If the S was black you wouldn't be saying anything about it standing out.

SOR5

Yeaahh....I don't see the whole stand out/blend in stuff you are talking about. If the S was black you wouldn't be saying anything about it standing out.

Well even if it was in matte black, the S just looks strikingly nicer than the fat one. The textures, the HOLES, the grill lining around the fan. It's subtle but it's nicer and more striking. The fact that white is the de-facto color only helps though.

Meanwhile the first Xbox One was just a big pure slab square, its harmless, I dont even particularly find it "ugly", but its the most safe design possible. The fan and size is even huge to prevent an RROD situation. I get tired of the VCR jokes like anyone but it really was designed to just blend in with other media players

I'm just saying aesthetically the S is a great improvement

New002

I was about to do the same thing as you. Still may do it. I just don't see the disc fetching more than $25. MCC code will probably go for $10 at most with all the deals I've seen lately. Plus the market for these games will be saturated once these bundles are released, so they may not even go for that much.

I'll probably just keep my 2tb order then. Plus I have a new TV coming in this weekend so already synced that up with the Xbox One S for 4k goodness. That bundle is crazy though, especially if you dont own any of the Halo games on Xbox One.

Noobcraft

I have a Roku 4 that does 4K Netflix and Amazon, and my PS3 does 4K Blu Rays, so yeah, picking this up was so I could perhaps eliminate a few things, but not because it is a necessity.
The Rigby Effect. I'm gonna need to see the documentation on this one sir.

SOR5

To elaborate further, here even with this XB1 S mock-up I made in black, it looks much more prominent

X4CgakL.png

How fucking amazing would it be if the holes at the bottom were actually dot matrix lights? Maybe able to display visual shapes and information like the 360 ring of light.

BFIB

I dont have a 4K TV, so this console is lost on me (still have my OG XBox One and I'm happy with it).

But this is a very tempting price for newbies to jump on board. Plus, it has the flagship, Red Dead Redemption at 30 FPS.

This guy on Twitter is claiming a GameStop employee told him there will be a $200 trade in credit offer towards the One S starting Saturday. If true, I suspect it will only apply towards to the 2tb model though. But maybe there will still be a deal where you can get $150 towards the 500gb. I'm about to call a few different stores to see if this is true.

https://twitter.com/TheIndigoArrow/status/758010931720970240

Update: The first store I called told me that there is in fact a trade in deal which starts this Saturday. You can get $200 in credit for trading in an Xbox One, but the credit is only valid towards the purchase of the 2tb model. Also, you have to be a pro member in order to take advantage of the promotion.

cakely

If the Xbox One was like the Xbox 360, and I could just transfer the internal hard drive between consoles, I'd probably jump. Better still would be if they sold an arcade edition Xbox One without a hard drive. The Xbox 360 did it right.

Chuckl3s

The nice thing about the xbox is that you can use external HDDs as well.

You can never have enough storage, but remember you can also plug in some external HDD's into the USB of your Xbox. Really easy to set it up and it will format it for you.

I myself am very tempted for the S, I just like new shiny tech or refresh of it. I am highly considering trading in my current X1 for an S model either the 500GB or 1TB Model. The prices are good imo.

Is there a disadvantage having an external HDD?

watdaeff4

Already have an X1, just a warning for those thinking about a 500GB console

You make a good point. The OS takes up some space too IIRC. If you get this and keep both installed, having a good external hard drive is almost a must.

Besides the actual physical space it will take up on your entertainment center and cost (though Best Buy often have great ones on sale frequently).....no.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
If the Xbox One was like the Xbox 360, and I could just transfer the internal hard drive between consoles, I'd probably jump. Better still would be if they sold an arcade edition Xbox One without a hard drive. The Xbox 360 did it right.

The Xbox 360 didn't have an internal drive. It was a snap on external. You can essentially do the same with moving from Xbox One to Xbox One S. Also... how the hell would they sell an Xbox One without a hard drive? What an uninformed suggestion.

toa95

God it's getting harder and harder to not get an Xbox One, that Halo bundle is calling my name... Persona 5 is the main game I want for PS4 and it's coming to PS3 which I have... ugh, decisions...

cakely

The Xbox 360 didn't have an internal drive. It was a snap on external. You can essentially do the same with moving from Xbox One to Xbox One S.

The Xbox 360 had a drive in a cartridge, that was its only drive, and therefore it was effectively its internal drive. I bought one 120GB drive for my first Xbox 360 and that ended up following me through four more Xbox 360s, including the Xbox 360 E that I use now. Plugging in an external drive is not anywhere near the same thing.

Also... how the hell would they sell an Xbox One without a hard drive? What an uninformed suggestion.

There's absolutely no need to for you to be a dick about this.

Xenoflare

To elaborate further, here even with this XB1 S mock-up I made in black, it looks much more prominent

X4CgakL.png

How fucking amazing would it be if the holes at the bottom were actually dot matrix lights? Maybe able to display visual shapes and information like the 360 ring of light.

I wonder if a Xbox Design Lab for the S is going to be something down the road

I think it will be quite a looker with the Forza 6 blue, or you could go all out and get it in hot pink and give the power button pulsing rainbow lights because why not if that's an option

Ok the rainbow light might be too much

krang

I wonder if a Xbox Design Lab for the S is going to be something down the road

I think it will be quite a looker with the Forza 6 blue, or you could go all out and get it in hot pink and give the power button pulsing rainbow lights because why not if that's an option

Ok the rainbow light might be too much

You have to imagine they've got that on the cards. Imagine if you could do Forza-style artwork...

Xenoflare

It will stand out of course, on the PS4 you can swap the internal drive easily but IIRC it doesn't support external HDD

Speedwise, it could actually be faster, since it uses usb 3.0 which I think is faster than the bus that is connected to the internal drive, correct me if I'm wrong plz

watership

This is the first time I've ever seen this opinion on the internet. Full circle back to crazy.

cakely

This is the first time I've ever seen this opinion on the internet. Full circle back to crazy.

Being able to buy a new console without the HD, and just re-use my existing HD, saved me about $100 every time I did it. I sincerely doubt I was the only one to take advantage of this.

Xenoflare

Now where are the games is going to install themselves if there is a HDD-less sku? That means whoever is buying them must need a HDD in advance. It just won't function

Being able to buy a new console without the HD, and just re-use my existing HD, saved me about $100 every time I did it. I sincerely doubt I was the only one to take advantage of this.

You can effectively do that with any external hard drive. Yes, you have to buy the external hard drive, but they give you a lot of flexibility.

Why do you think it's not the same thing in terms of functionality?

you know your game saves are now saved with your xbox live gamer tag when playing on the xbox one. you dont need a hdd to transfer your saves anymore. you just sign in. the hdd is there for the OS, apps and game install. MUCH better than the 360. Plus you can use any usb hdd and are not limited to a proprietary item *cough*.

etta

my hard graphic balls
To be honest I think it would be cool if Microsoft sold an S without any HDD, specifically aimed at people who have their own external, and $50 cheaper. Have a giant sticker on the front saying "Console will not boot any games without an external HDD!" for the less informed customers. I'd definitely get that model at $249.

krang

To be honest I think it would be cool if Microsoft sold an S without any HDD, specifically aimed at people who have their own external, and $50 cheaper. Have a giant sticker on the front saying "Console will not boot any games without an external HDD!" for the less informed customers. I'd definitely get that model at $249.

Nevermind the games, it wouldn't even boot the OS!

DirtyLarry

PS3 can only play regular and 3D Blurays. Even if you meant PS4, it also cannot do 4K Blurays.

As far as I'm aware, Samsung has the only UHD/4K Bluray player out (until the One S launches) and it is $399.

The Rigby Effect. I'm gonna need to see the documentation on this one sir.
Hmmm, I seriously thought it was playing 4K BluRays*.
It is doing something when I put in 4K BluRays, as my TV's resolution goes to 4K.
Perhaps it is just upscaling them, but it is not every BluRay, just those that say they are 4K. Which has only been 3 of them actually, and 2 of them I rented from GameFly.

Well this is good to know, as I thought PS3 did 4K as a result.

* Is it doing something else I am mistakenly referring to it as 4K??? I know there was a thread here on Gaf that was multiple pages that was about how consoles that came out 8 years ago did something with BluRays and the latest iterations did not?

Regardless if I am apparently wrong, they still need a black version or no go.

cakely

Yes, exactly! That would be the perfect SKU for me.

I also can completely understand why it won't happen.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

This would be awesome.

watership

Considering the shit they received from their attempt to lower the cost and giving choice, they'll never do it again.

etta

my hard graphic balls
How much does the vertical stand cost again? I think I will stand it up on my light-colored wood desk instead of the glossy black entertainment one, the while looks much nicer there.

gamz

How much does the vertical stand cost again? I think I will stand it up on my light-colored wood desk instead of the glossy black entertainment one, the while looks much nicer there.

20 bucks. It's free in the 2TB system.

Noobcraft

Hmmm, I seriously thought it was playing 4K BluRays*.
It is doing something when I put in 4K BluRays, as my TV's resolution goes to 4K.
Perhaps it is just upscaling them, but it is not every BluRay, just those that say they are 4K. Which has only been 3 of them actually, and 2 of them I rented from GameFly.

Well this is good to know, as I thought PS3 did 4K as a result.

* Is it doing something else I am mistakenly referring to it as 4K??? I know there was a thread here on Gaf that was multiple pages that was about how consoles that came out 8 years ago did something with BluRays and the latest iterations did not?

Regardless if I am apparently wrong, they still need a black version or no go.
The PS3 can't even output 4K. Even if it could read a 4K Blu-ray it could only output at 1080P. Your TV is just upscaling the 1080P input to 4K.

Welfare

So the standard bundles give all main Halo games at standard MSRP. Damn!

Should be a good holiday with the $299 bundle.

Also Europe will probably get Forza and Fifa bundles in September.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Canceled my 2TB pre-order and ordered the 500GB Halo bundle. I can wait the extra couple of weeks, and Halo 5 was one game I was planning on picking up anyway. The ability to add external USB storage renders the extra space irrelevant (I think).

Top Bottom