• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

81% of Democrats support Tubman on the $20, 34% of Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCpollSG1large-816x281.jpg

Enough do

But really though, some people just need more "exposure to information" and "gentle convincing" to not want the Confederacy back. Fuck outta here.
Flat earthers, climate change deniers, hardcore racists, their shit is set in a foundation of stone.

That's not what that thread was about, really.
I got the point of that thread, but it was a point that can pretty much be ignored, IMO, so I'm going to mock it. It wasn't a great read and was mostly full of eyerolley examples that don't apply 99% of the time, were so egregious that I actually agreed with the people exhibiting the "smugness," or were so rarified and strange that they pertained to the weird reactions of a select few and not some sort of "smugness scourge" within the left.

And here, the salient thing in conversations with people disappointed that the North won the Civil War is not liberals' "tone." Smugness is the least of what racists who want to roll back the end of slavery deserve, and telling liberals to attenuate their anger towards such people is pure tone policing.

DedValve

Banned
Ya'll need to stop being so smug about this kinda thing, apparently that's the real problem here.

/s

Seriously when I hear liberals acting all high and mighty for not being racist it really pisses me off. Makes them just as bad.

/sssssssssssssssss

I got the point of that thread, but it was a point that can pretty much be ignored, IMO, so I'm going to mock it. It wasn't a great read and was mostly full of eyerolley examples that don't apply 99% of the time, were so egregious that I actually agreed with the people exhibiting the "smugness," or were so rarified and strange that they pertained to the weird reactions of a select few and not some sort of "smugness scourge" within the left.

And here, the salient thing in conversations with people disappointed that the North won the Civil War is not liberals' "tone." Smugness is the least of what racists who want to roll back the end of slavery deserve, and telling liberals to attenuate their anger towards such people is pure tone policing.

I don't think there's enough disagreement on my end to have me attempt a counterargument. I just read that thread as more about difficulties in communication between and with liberals than trying to justify patience with racists. Perhaps a shallow interpretation on my part.

Fredrick Douglass on the $10 next please

Replace "In God We Trust" with "Agitate, agitate, agitate"

.JayZii

Banned
I'm happy with their decision on who will replace Jackson. Not surprised by these poll results.

Whenever the next round of currency change comes up, there should really be a Native American leader on a bill. Aside from the obvious of honoring people who barely ever get mentioned, that bill would look awesome.

Ploid 3.0

What's the big problem? It's just paper money, in a few more years no one will even touch the stuff or see it outside of ads. It's not like only kings can be on our notes.

Supast4r

well why not make a new bill, maybe a 40 dollar bill?
Put mlk on the fifty. Why are people undermining Harriet's human rights record? Other than the Underground Railroad, Tubman has a great record of women's rights and she was a spy in the civil war. Literally the definition of an American hero and people undermine that.

Supast4r

It would be an insult to Native Americans to put them on money.
This line of thinking is so binary. Being on money is a celebration of a persons achievements. Native Americans have gotten the short end of the stick with being marginalized and put as mascots for teams. (One of the teams having a super racist name) It would be nice to put them on something positive.

FiggyCal

Banned
This line of thinking is so binary. Being on money is a celebration of a persons achievements. Native Americans have gotten the short end of the stick with being marginalized and put as mascots for teams. (One of the teams having a super racist name) It would be nice to put them on something positive.

Sounds kind of patronizing.

.JayZii

Banned
Sounds kind of patronizing.
The treasury could check with the leaders of the Native American/American Indian communities around the country and see if they are cool with being patronized.

You assuming what they would want also sounds kind of patronizing.

NimbusD

I mean, conservatives by definition want things to stay the same.

But I honestly can't think of a good reason other than baseless obstruction of all thing left to oppose this.

TalonJH

What's the percentage of Republicans who aren't white people again?

89% of Republicans identify as White non-hispanic so I guess around 11%

Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 89% of Republican self-identifiers nationwide in 2012, while accounting for 70% of independents and 60% of Democrats. Over one-fifth of Democrats (22%) were black, while 16% of independents were Hispanic.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160373/democrats-racially-diverse-republicans-mostly-white.aspx

Pizoxuat

The treasury could check with the leaders of the Native American/American Indian communities around the country and see if they are cool with being patronized.

You assuming what they would want also sounds kind of patronizing.

There's a history of the US govt depicting Native American figures and upsetting the Native American community, that's why people have this perception of the situation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Huh. The only stuff I've seen from Facebook conservatives on Tubman is memes like this:

My favorite part about these is that these people have zero idea that the parties practically reversed roles.

Kinyou

Isn't Jackson even still on that thing? If anything it should be people getting mad that someone who rescued slaves and a slave owner are on the same bill.

Which is why I think they should check with said communities instead of deciding what they would like for them.
Yeah. Reminds me of an article where a journalist got mad that the US Army is naming their weaponry after native Americans, apparently not knowing that the tribes are actually consulted beforehand.

Huh. The only stuff I've seen from Facebook conservatives on Tubman is memes like this:
Hold on a second, I've seen that picture before. Isn't that Stagecoach Mary and not Tubman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Fields

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
If you are against this you are a fucking asshole. That's all their is to it. We had Martha Washington on currency at one point. Why not an american fucking hero? One of the greatest of all time?

I'm just pissed it's coming to the party so late.

FyreWulff

funny thing about this is Andrew Jackson was the first Democrat president

Funny thing about this is the parties switched bases in the 60s, and besides that, you get judged by your actions more than you do the brand name of your party at the time.

That's why everyone needs to keep helping holding Dems feet to the fire, because there's absolutely nothing preventing them from selling people out down the road when it's easy to do so

It's also plainly obvious that the only time white republicans will acknowledge a black person is when they think it's irritating another white person. Tubman is literally being used as their token black friend.

cirrhosis

I stopped by a bike store to pick up some gels for fuel

One of the cashiers said Andrew Jackson was one of the GOAT presidents and was irate that Tubman would take his place

I didn't know what to say and got the fuck out of there as fast as I could

fuck that dude

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You know when someone famous dies and people pretend that they were their biggest fans? This sorta reminds me of that, now a bunch of people seem to think Andrew Jackson was the hottest shit in town out of nowhere.

You know when someone famous dies and people pretend that they were their biggest fans? This sorta reminds me of that, now a bunch of people seem to think Andrew Jackson was the hottest shit in town out of nowhere.

I feel like this is what's happening with Prince. Like, where the fuck were all of you 'fans' when he was alive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom