• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

If I can parse the screencaps, it's because they (a subsection of a board devoted just to depression) believe that her game is not representative of their own struggles with the illness, and thus she is doing it "for attention."

Yes. It is stupid for at least fifty obvious reasons.

Wow.

RedSwirl

Yeah I responded to some of her posts on twitter not realizing this was way bigger than some asshole posts on 4chan. If it was just some random-ass posts on /b/ or /v/ I'd probably say ignore it. The "ignore it" stance isn't really the right one, but realistically what are you gonna do about some assholes on 4chan other than publicize their posts? I lurk /v/ semi-regularly, and general hatred towards women (misogyny is too soft a word for this) is so commonplace there it's become background noise. You'd think Kotaku's Patricia Hernandez broke into all their houses and killed their parents or something but reading a lot of what's on /v/.

Nibel

What kind of fucked up human being writes shit like that - this is some medieval shit

Hope the very best for Zoe, and that her game gets greenlighted

so someone who most possibly suffering depression is now been harrased by these peices of shit. wankers. they should give there details out so favour can be returned.

Sarobi

Banned
I use to browse 4chan quite a lot (Retired anon is retired), and can safely say that I've seen some shit in my days.. this really isn't that drastic (speaking on just the chan posts).

It's obviously messed up. If a game is good, it shouldn't matter it it was developed by one-eyed willy from the goonies.

that being said, i dont understand why you'd answer your cell from an unfamiliar number. why would you stay on the line long enough to realize someone was playing with themselves?

you can't control what others do but I would definitely limit my exposure to that level of idiocy

Those 4chan posts... I cannot fathom anyone, even the absolute worst scum of the earth, making that statement in sincerity. The denial gland of my brain wants to believe it's just an obvious troll taken out of context, but of course it's not with all the phone calls. Why. I mean just... why.

On that note, Depression Quest is EASILY one of the most profound games released this year and this is... weirdly... unsolicited but... good... publicity... to maybe tell some people that it exists.

I wish there was some way to help her. I don't know what I'd do in that situation except wait for the internet bullies to move on.

Theres a big crossover between /b/ and almost every other large board, /v/ especially since its the second largest after /b/.
the rest of the boards are pretty tame and enjoyable for fun conversations, and every so often you'll get an intelligent discussion sprinkled in between the fun stupidity, even on /v/.

Its sad to see someone with a passion for their craft be attacked for no justifiable reason at all.

okayfrog

Banned
There's quite a nice text adventure called "Rameses" which does something interesting in the medium (although in this case it's more an angsty teen railing against their lot in life than a direct representation of depression, it's still a reasonably well-observed character piece about a negative trait)

I'll try and remember that, thanks.

Nekofrog

Banned
4chan reminds me of the cs clan myg0t, just filled with some of the worst people on the planet

haha, true story? this is not something i'll admit to often but

i was a founding member of myg0t way back in beta 7 CS days with xpl0it/god in like 2000 or some shit. except we were an actual clan back then, i left when they decided they just wanted to troll people.

I hope all you realize that we should not mock the board that initiated the harassment for dealing with depression as is a big medical issue that Depression Quest explores in detail... we should mock it becausethat imageboard has a board called Virgin 9000

okayfrog

Banned
Can someone explain to me why people were banned in this thread? I read the banned peoples' posts and it didn't seem as if there was anything there worthy a ban.

@ZoeQuinnzel 2m
holy shit, 98% on greenlight. That's up from ~80 before all this business. WHAT HAVE YOU ALL DONEEEE

@ZoeQuinnzel 1m
here I thought we'd get majorly voted DOWN after I snapped yesterday and went all hulkamania on twitter

:)

okayfrog

Banned
So easy, all she had to do was point out people stupider than her and play the victim card. Just brilliant.
EDIT: Honestly, 4chan or Wizardchan (both?) are stupid when it comes to things like this. Anita succeeded because of them and now Depression Quest will. Wonder what they'll inadvertently help out next.

okayfrog

Banned
But that's what happened. Whether or not she did it consciously is not what I'm pointing out, just that her game is going to be a success because idiots on the internet couldn't stop attacking her.

RMI

Banned
So easy, all she had to do was point out people stupider than her and play the victim card. Just brilliant.
EDIT: Honestly, 4chan or Wizardchan (both?) are stupid when it comes to things like this. Anita succeeded because of them and now Depression Quest will. Wonder what they'll inadvertently help out next.

There is no "victim card."

People were banned in this thread for victim blaming, which is basically what you're working up to here.

RMI

Banned
I'm happy for her and nothing to do with Social Warrior stuff or that she is a woman. Her game deserve the attention.
Seriously, it's a good game and worth playing through both if you have or haven't had any first hand experience with serious depression.

Right, it wasn't like she was being harassed or anything. This is all just a cynical PR move, profiting of the back of those poor, misunderstood folks on 4chan.

Grow up.

Jenga

Banned
Seriously, it's a good game and worth playing through both if you have or haven't had any first hand experience with serious depression.

i beat the game so hard

got help from my friends, got a cat, being depressed is easy if this game is any indication

i beat the game so hard

got help from my friends, got a cat, being depressed is easy if this game is any indication

I didn't expect that kind of stuff coming from you. Sigh.

And that is the ironic thing, because one of the points of that game is that depression seems easy to deal stuff to the outsider when is anything but that.

Village

I just happened upon this thread , oh my god.

I have been doing final for the last few days, this and the mighty number 9 thing.

Christmas has brought out all this women centric gaming vitriol.

Stet

Banned
I'm being facetious, I've actually had a friend who's dealt with serious depression for years, he's improved with a lot of love from his family and friends.

Cats don't help tho.
Cats make it worse. Now I'm worried about whether he's depressed too.

Carcetti

The amount of stupid in the threads in that Greenlight page makes me feel like Michael Ironside is trying to telekinetically explode my brain... and seems like this thread is a graveyard for a good reason as well. Christ.

NeoGash

"Why don't people take games seerweeessleee?"

This is why. This is fucking why. Yeah yeah, it doesn't just happen in the video game hobby, but it is definitely much more rampant and immature and fucking disgusting. Why do people do this shit? Don't they have a mother, a sister, a daughter etc.? I'd look for these little cu**s and f*** them up if my daughter or sister or mother was subjected to this shit all the time. Some people don't deserve to live amongst human beings, or animals for that matter. Waste of oxygen, absolute scum and filth should just know that their life means nothing.

She shouldn't get too bothered this, as at least she can sit back and know that she is better than them, and that they would waste their time on her. Sometimes I really do wish you had to have a name and address to your internet alias, as these weak pathetic excuses of flesh wouldn't make a peep. Cowards.

These people should be banned from the internet. IP block on every site and charged as criminals.

EDIT: Wow. The people insulting and blaming the victim are being banned......god, if only every place on the internet was like NeoGAF. Agree or disagree, this site actually takes a stance against sexism, racism and sheer ignorance. It is just funny that people have the gall to call this site out on other sites when the moderators here do their job. Victim blaming makes me sick to the stomach and actually makes me question humanity as an intelligent life form. Let's hope for the universe's sake that we never survive to populate other planets.

Realistically wouldn't you just vote 'no' and try to get others to do the same on the greenlight page and leave it at that if you were super pissed off about this.

also personally I blame /pol/

EDIT: Wait, I'm a backer for Mighty No. 9 and haven't noticed any drama about that beyond the kinda dumb looking crossover with the Yaiba game, though I haven't joined the backer forums yet. What's that controversy over?

DocSeuss

Harassment like this is why I feel like everyone should just instantly shoot down the "it's not a game" arguments. The campaign gained some of its traction because people are willing to go with that.

If you really must diminish the worth of something, it's so much easier to argue "it's a bad game" than to go "it's not a game, so isn't worthy of [x]."

I kinda think the reason people go with "it's not a game" is because a lot of them are all into the whole stupid "quality is subjective" thing, so, since they can't argue "it's bad at what it does," they have to argue "it isn't what it is." But that's kinda off the topic of discussion a bit, Ig uess.

It's disgusting, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about fixing the problem. 4chan is designed as a hive for the worst of the internet. It's a culture of negativity & hate, and proud to be that way. You can't just kick them off the internet, or IP ban everyone involved - these individuals are going to be terrible, and do things like this against anyone they oppose. There aren't consequences, and there can't be - because it's impossible to outlaw being an asshole.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Some people are human scum. Crap like this type of harassment is why we seem to never move forward. :(

Read the first few posts and i'm not sure if this was cleared up but it was not 4chan that had them posts. It was some depression chan. They where mad that her idea of depression doesn't fit with their idea of it.

C4Lukins

The internet is just a harsh sick place when it comes down to it. It is not even specific to sexist lonely dudes talking shit. The more detached we become from face to face interaction, the less humane society becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom