• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at E3 2014 (with graphs!)

CvppPQh.png

Each game had a "type" associated with it, including whether shooting was a main or primary mechanic. I put together these graphs to show if a game's gameplay was primarily "about" shooting or about something else.

This one is actually quite shocking. Microsoft showed off less shooting games than Sony?.... The 360 was the quintessential dude-bro machine, last generation.

ZLiGs9z.png

And finally, exclusivity of games to the platform. I tried to be accurate but I'm sure there will be a game or two that is actually multiplat when I though it was exclusive or visa-versa.

And this chart? It's great to see NIntendo with so many exclusives... but man, they really have nothing to lean on when it comes to third party content. Good and bad at the same time. .

alatif113

Should add the actual games for the categories that use them, not that I don't believe you or anything. Just would add more to the graphs.

Guymelef

MS side we have.
Crackdown 3.
Phantom Dust
Scalebound
This three probably are 2016 releases, did you include them in 2015?

Liking these graphs. Just hope you don't get a PM from Polygon anytime soon as a result

Edit: When you say exclusivity, did you put 'console debut/exclusive' as multiplatform?

Yeah if the game is available on a competitor's platform I put it as multiplatform.

That's pretty cool.
Maybe you could let people take a look at the data you used to make this stuff, so people can help you correct any mistake?

Sean

Banned
Nice work on all the graphs, very interesting data. Got me curious on what exactly were the exclusives shown at each conference.

Sony Exclusives
1. The Order 1886
2. Entwined
3. LittleBigPlanet 3
4. Bloodborne
5. Let It Die
6. The Last of Us Remaster
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
8. Ratchet remaster? (mentioned but not shown)
9. Guns Up!
10. Grim Fandango Remaster
11. Magicka 2
12. No Man's Sky (timed console exclusive)
13. Abzu (timed console exclusive)
(your graph has quite a few more, I assume mostly indie stuff? I don't remember which ones were shown off the top of my head)

Nintendo Exclusives
1. Yoshi's Woolly World
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
3. The Legend of Zelda Wii U
4. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
5. Mario Maker
6. Bayonetta 2
7. Xenoblade Chronicles X
8. Super Smash Bros
9. Hryule Warriors
10. Splatoon

Microsoft Exclusives
1. Forza Horizon 2
2. Sunset Overdrive
3. Fable Legends
4. Project Spark
5. Ori and the Blind Forest
6. Dance Central: Spotlight
7. Halo Master Chief Collection
8. Halo 5: Guardians
9. Inside
10. Phantom Dust
11. Scalebound
12. Crackdown 3

edit: thanks Nightengale

Nice work on all the graphs, very interesting data. Got me curious on what exactly were the exclusives shown at each conference.

your graph has quite a few more, I assume mostly indie stuff? I don't remember which ones were shown off the top of my head)l

You missed out Guns Up, it was announced in Shawn Layden's section. First-party exclusive.

As for timed console exclusives:
No Man's Sky
Abzu

Console exclusives:
Grim Fandango Remaster
Magicka 2

Cincaid

Interesting stuff, I love graphs! :D

Oh, so people really were exaggerating with their "everything's coming out in 2015 lol fail" nonsense.

Not to mention a lot of people complaining on Microsoft for "showing nothing but CG trailers" in the OT to the briefing.

I updated some of the charts to fix a few errors. I also put a link to download the excel file in the OP, if you quote it.

Glad you guys are liking them!

Somnid

Great. It's finally good to add real solid data to some of the periphery arguments. I feel vindicated when I say MS and Sony had terrible presentations on numerous fronts.

If possible I'd also request games by expected ESRB rating.

I really think post-Digital Event games should be included.
Nintendo's E3 wasn't only DE.
True, but I don't think anybody's conference was their entire E3.

Doing it this way helps compare how the digital event compares to the traditional press conference model and also limits the scope to something reasonable for me to work with.

pFJkZOH.png

This was how games were revealed or discussed at the shows. If they showed gameplay or even simulated gameplay, it went in the gameplay category. If they showed only cutscenes or straight-up CG, it went in the "nothing like gameplay" category. Talking was when they just mentioned a game, and possibly a logo or concept art, with nothing to show for it.

man that one can't be right

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow more percentage shooters at Sony's conference :)
According to the graphs the following games are all feature shooting:
Fable Legends
Dragon Age Inquisition
Scalebound
Cuphead
Kingdom under Fire
Uncharted 4

While the following games do not feature shooting:
Yoshi's Wooly World (Throwing I guess)
Zelda Wii U uses a bow and arrow fall towards its target
(Hyrule Warriors the same)
Xenoblade X they might have assault rifles but it's in space so that doesn't count
Bloodborne

Way too inconsistently applied. Sometimes projectiles are shooting, other times a gun is shown and that means it showed shooting and other times a gun is shown and it wasn't counted

SmokeMaxX

According to the graphs the following games are all feature shooting:
Fable Legends
Dragon Age Inquisition
Scalebound
Cuphead
Kingdom under Fire
Uncharted 4

While the following games do not feature shooting:
Yoshi's Wooly World (Throwing I guess)
Zelda Wii U uses a bow and arrow fall towards its target
(Hyrule Warriors the same)
Xenoblade X they might have assault rifles but it's in space so that doesn't count
Bloodborne

Way too inconsistently applied. Sometimes projectiles are shooting, other times a gun is shown and that means it showed shooting and other times a gun is shown and it wasn't counted
Hard to classify some games. I'm glad the OP did the graphs although we should all realize that it won't be 100% accurate.

blakep267

I like the graphs. But it's kinda off a little since the stuff Nintendo showed after the digital event, as well as stuff like Fantasia and D4 not counting since they were there but not at the conference

SmokeMaxX

I like the graphs. But it's kinda off a little since the stuff Nintendo showed after the digital event, as well as stuff like Fantasia and D4 not counting since they were there but not at the conference

This is only covering the conferences/Digital Event because those are (more or less) comparable. Nintendo did like 24 hours of Treehouse content, but that's obviously not comparable to a 1.5-2 hour press conference.

DooD1234

I actually understood these set of pie charts. Polygon pie chart make it seem like they just want to draw PAC man. I'm still scratching my head what they were trying to make. Anyways cool charts, hope to see more next E3.

Majmun

Nice info.

But I agree that the shooting section is a bit too vague. Why even include that? Most games have some sort of shooting in them.

Majmun

Numbers OP.....not percentages.

MS' and Sony's offering will look WAY more impressive when shown in numbers. They showed more games and more gameplay and they have more exclusives than Nintendo.

While percentages work in Nintendo's favor.

-edit

Not always

juwD1YzkQs4wW.png

jnWake

It'd be interesting if someone added the games that Nintendo featured outside of their DE (and for the other companies too, but I'm not sure if they revealed many games outside of the conferences). Nintendo showed some exclusives and put a lot of trailers in their YouTube channel.

Top Bottom