• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at E3 2014 (with graphs!)

Bgamer90

Banned
I saw this a few days back. Really interesting.

Most interesting thing to me is that MS showed less shooters than Sony. When watching their shows, it did feel as is MS had more of a variety of games (genre) than Sony but didn't know for sure.

Lemmy

Banned
The only interesting actual console exclusive I saw all E3 was Bloodborne. All the other decent looking titles are/will be on PC.

yatesl

Wow, really? Can you link me?

J7hGQTw.png

Just before 2:01:00

Awesome job OP, very instructive. Some things were obvious but some really weren't. Mostly regarding Microsoft for me so I may take a look back at what they've show this E3.

Dart

Based on those stats I'd say

Nintendo>Xbox>>>PlayStation

Very surprising, the fact more shooters were shown on Sony's press than in Xbox'. Thanks for taking the time to make these stats, really interesting stuff.

Though IMO to my interest, the ladder would be something more like

PlayStation>Xbox>>Nintendo>Everything else........................................ EA

Terrell

I imagine that shooter graph is going to get a lot of mileage in certain discussions. Perhaps you can include a breakdown of what it includes with the image to prevent the inevitable "bubububut CONTEXT" trolling that will occur when it's inevitably used?

I imagine that shooter graph is going to get a lot of mileage in certain discussions. Perhaps you can include a breakdown of what it includes with the image to prevent the inevitable "bubububut CONTEXT" trolling that will occur when it's inevitably used?

I'll probably go through and make more explicit rules for that at some point and detail them out, yeah. I kind of did this as a lark so I may go back and formalize some stuff at some point since it seems to be popular enough.

MS' and Sony's offering will look WAY more impressive when shown in numbers. They showed more games and more gameplay and they have more exclusives than Nintendo.

While percentages work in Nintendo's favor.

-edit

Not always

juwD1YzkQs4wW.png
How many of those came from indie game sizzle reels?

I'll admit I came into this thread half excepting it to just be another punchline at polygon's expense.

But it's an interesting thing to see, and I would like it you did something like this again next year!

And it would appear if they showed it on their event.

The others had also games outside of the conferences
Sure. It would be more interesting to do some analysis based on the showing of each from the whole event rather than just the conferences.

Chobel

Most interesting thing to me is that MS showed less shooters than Sony. When watching their shows, it did feel as is MS had more of a variety of games (genre) than Sony but didn't know for sure.

Not shooters, but games with shooting, OP probably count games like broforce, GTA and MGS as "shooting".

Not shooters, but games with shooting, OP probably count games like broforce, GTA and MGS as "shooting".
Yeah I generally tried to put games where aiming and shooting at things were showcased or core parts of the gameplay. The games you listed I put as "shooting" but I'm not calling them shooters.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well the OP has a very strange definition of shooting, so that's probably the most worthless of all the graphs.

Well the OP has a very strange definition of shooting, so that's probably the most worthless of all the graphs.

Well thanks ;) The point wasn't to be about "here are all the shooter games" but more "here's all the games that are about/related to shooting things" which I feel is a lot more important as far as the industry goes as a whole.

benny_a

Well thanks ;) The point wasn't to be about "here are all the shooter games" but more "here's all the games that are about/related to shooting things" which I feel is a lot more important as far as the industry goes as a whole.

And I've pointed out your inconsistency in applying that label in a previous post:
According to the graphs the following games are all feature shooting:
Fable Legends
Dragon Age Inquisition
Scalebound
Cuphead
Kingdom under Fire
Uncharted 4

While the following games do not feature shooting:
Yoshi's Wooly World (Throwing I guess)
Zelda Wii U uses a bow and arrow fall towards its target
(Hyrule Warriors the same)
Xenoblade X they might have assault rifles but it's in space so that doesn't count
Bloodborne

Way too inconsistently applied. Sometimes projectiles are shooting, other times a gun is shown and that means it showed shooting and other times a gun is shown and it wasn't counted
This is the category that is most rife for personal bias, so I stand by the statement that it's worthless the way it's presented now.

Crayolan

Due to the difference between number of games for Microsoft/Sony vs. Nintendo I'd be curious to see graphs for percentage of indies and non-indies.

Really cool graphs.

For the people asking about indies, other games at the show, etc: I only took what was in the "press conference" or Nintendo's substitute for one, partly because I wanted to try and compare as directly as possible, and partly because I wanted to limit the scope of the project to something reasonable.

That means if indies were shown in the conference (like MS and Sony) they were included. If they weren't, they weren't included.

And I've pointed out your inconsistency in applying that label in a previous post:

This is the category that is most rife for personal bias, so I stand by the statement that it's worthless the way it's presented now.

You indeed did show your bias, with the "but it's in space so that doesn't count"

Wooly World is throwing, indeed. I also didn't include any games that were bow/arrow based because I was focusing on guns/bullets/shoot-bang type stuff.

Xenoblade could certainly be included in the shooting category.. I didn't include Bloodborne because I only saw the trailer and didn't know there was shooting in it (or I didn't notice it in the trailer). I literally only looked at the conference videos.

Anyway, yes, it's not perfect but like I said I will probably go back and formalize things at some point. Good job, good effort, enjoy finding it worthless and keep posting about it.

Not sure why people still use the word "indies". Games are games. There shouldn't be discrimination between a game like Witcher 3 and Magicka 2.

benny_a

I also didn't include any games that were bow/arrow based because I was focusing on guns/bullets/shoot-bang type stuff.
Luckily we have you as our last line of defense before games like Cuphead destroy our children with the shoot-bang type stuff.

It's not like Mario Maker would ever stoop so low to feature projectiles!

Damn dude why are you so bent out of shape over it?
Because there is a lack of transparency on the selection criteria and obvious inconsistencies in what is selected. That is shit?

Luckily we have you as our last line of defense before games like Cuphead destroy our children with the shoot-bang type stuff.

It's not like Mario Maker would ever stoop so low to feature projectiles!

Damn dude why are you so bent out of shape over it?

Caayn

Thank you for gathering the data and creating these graphs.

The exclusivity chart for Nintendo is nice and yet it hurts.

The time spent chart feels wrong I thought that Sony had a lot more going on besides showing games. Most likely due to the boring parts with the Powers guy and the Jack Tretton replacement guy (honestly I don't even remember his name anymore), and Adam Boyes' lame jokes/fan mail part.

I'm surprised by the amount of 2014 titles shown by Nintendo. After I watched their digital event it felt like most was 2015.

border

Looks like Nintendo trounces everyone!

Until you realize they just had 12 games, several of which might not even be out a year from now.

Why the focus on shooting as a sign of the industry as a whole or that it's sad if the vast majority of games are about killing? Splatoon looks rad, from Nintendo, and that is hella TF 2 levels of violent.

Is Nintendo doing a TPS a sign of the end times, that games can't express meaningful gameplay without violence? What conclusion are you driving towards, that nonviolent games won't have a chance to reign supreme or only be in smaller games? Some of the biggest games aren't about killing, and they're considered as part of the vast majority (mobile games, sport games, puzzle games, simulators). I just don't agree that we should generalise what is shown at 3 platforms' E3 conferences as indicative of the entire videogame industry.

The point wasn't to be about "here are all the shooter games" but more "here's all the games that are about/related to shooting things" which I feel is a lot more important as far as the industry goes as a whole.
It's pretty sad because the vast majority of games are about killing things in one way or another.

graywolf323

it'd probably help if you included more statistics instead of just pie charts OP

for one thing that time spent chart seems skewed, Sony spent at most 30 minutes out of that close to two hour conference on non-gaming stuff which does not amount to 46%

Mariolee

Wow, awesome work!

But which company had the most female protagonists? :0

Sony:1, Microsoft:1 and Nintendo:2?

Idk about protagonists, but for playable female characters Nintendo had Palutena for Smash, the Squid girls from Splatoon, May in ORAS, I believe there's a playable girl in STEAM, and Zelda and Midna for Hyrule Warriors announced. Thats not including previously announced playable characters such as Bayonetta in her games, Impa in Hyrule Warriors, and the Smash femme fatales.

This female push is almost certainly a conscious decision by Nintendo.

wsippel

Banned
Jesus, OP, come on. This is ridiculous.
Nintendo had a much shorter presentation, a lot of their stuff was shown or announced elsewhere. That makes comparing the events quite difficult. They could have extended the Digital Event by a mere three minutes to show their eShop reel and end up at 40 games as well.

Top Bottom