• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game needs more open environments for sure and Dictator is the one person I have seen present a case of how the tech is holding back a better gameplay experience in that regard but the gunplay that is there is excellent there just needs to be way more of it.

I really feel like they had to cut a lot of things in order to get the game out and had to redo a substantial amount of the encounter design because of it. Much of the destruction and physics simulation talked about early on is missing and there's no way they intended all of the lycan encounters to be copy past scenarios.

EagleEyes

The game needs more open environments for sure and Dictator is the one person I have seen present a case of how the tech is holding back a better gameplay experience in that regard but the gunplay that is there is excellent there just needs to be way more of it.

TheOrder2.gif

Also, best horses ever. I must have looked at these guys for minutes. The way the muscles in their neck's flex and pull and the texture of their skin is bonkers.
The guns themselves were great and had good feedback but the gunplay was lacking severely because of the horrible AI imo. The shotgunners just basically came right at you and the others would literally either stay in cover or walk sideways back in forth between cover. Very simple stuff and was a big letdown for me personally. Don't get me started with the lycan AI lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The guns themselves were great and had good feedback but the gunplay was lacking severely because of the horrible AI imo. The shotgunners just basically came right at you and the others would literally either stay in cover or walk sideways back in forth between cover. Very simple stuff and was a big letdown for me personally. Don't get me started with the lycan AI lol.

Agree about the shotgunners but I thought the other enemies were pretty solid. They were mobile and flanked regularly, catching me off guard quite a bit.

EagleEyes

Agree about the shotgunners but I thought the other enemies were pretty solid. They were mobile and flanked regularly, catching me off guard quite a bit.
Are you sure those weren't shotgunners flanking you? I got the plat and played through it twice on hard and never had any of the normal enemies flank me.

EagleEyes

I tended to force my way up closer to the enemies and that's when they would respond like that. I always play cover shooters much more aggressive than most.
Gotcha. I tend to hang back and I was disappointed to never see them advance on my position.

benzy

Eh, look at how much space Drake takes up on the screen compared to Mustache McFacialhair

Edit: It's late, I am dumb. I don't have the faintest why I thouight having a camera further away = higher fov.

Yeah, the camera is just much closer to Galahad compared to Drake. I'm not inclined to believe FOV was the reason for the black bars though, but RAD did an excellent job in designing around it as it was never obstructive like in The Evil Within.

Kazuhira

Do you think we will get a sequel?
I know they worked pretty hard on the engine and now that it´s finished, maybe they can focus on adding more meat to those bones if they´re allowed to make a new game.
I really see potential with this IP and it would be shame to let it go to waste imo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do you think we will get a sequel?
I know they worked pretty hard on the engine and now that it´s finished, maybe they can focus on adding more meat to those bones if they´re allowed to make a new game.
I really see potential with this IP and it would be shame to let it go to waste imo.

I hope so. Chains of Olympus to Ghost of Sparta was is one of the most improved sequels I've played so I'd love to see RaD do that again with The Order.

Yeah, the camera is just much closer to Galahad compared to Drake. I'm not inclined to believe FOV was the reason for the black bars though, but RAD did an excellent job in designing around it as it was never obstructive like in The Evil Within.

It was obstructive in shoot-outs, the tight camera and lack of vertical space meant you would sometimes be unable to see out of cover. I recall running into it on numerous occasions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It was obstructive in shoot-outs, the tight camera and lack of vertical space meant you would sometimes be unable to see out of cover. I recall running into it on numerous occasions.

Did you use the cover peak mechanic? I found that very useful when trying to get a good look at a battle line up blind fire shots.

Did you use the cover peak mechanic? I found that very useful when trying to get a good look at a battle line up blind fire shots.

As in leaning out of cover at the sides? I legitimately don't remember if you could look up or not, but there were times when I had to reposition to see out of cover. I know others have complained about this too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As in leaning out of cover at the sides? I legitimately don't remember if you could look up or not, but there were times when I had to reposition to see out of cover. I know others have complained about this too.

You could move the stick up to look over cover without moving out.

Replicant

I don't like how hazy the graphic looks most of the time. I know they try to replicate that filmic look but I can't remember many films with this kind of hazy looks.

nib95

Banned

Yea, you can peak up or to the sides. First play through I didn't use it nearly as much as I should have. But it can be really helpful in pre-emptively lining up shots, including blind fire. Even then, I often find waist high cover to be less useful than full height cover (e.g. being behind tall pillars, walls etc).

Phreak47

Redbox has it now. I will probably pick it up tomorrow.

So, funny little story... I go to rent this at Redbox, and out comes a case with nothing but a photocopy of the disc in it.

Well, I thought, I'll deal with this but first, let me rent another copy from Kiosk B. Below is the result.

First time it was annoying. Second time, I had to laugh. A phone call later, I now have five rental codes for my trouble.

VLxG9xs.jpg

AI is extremely basic in this game. It doesn't seem to be horrible imo, but it is still far from being good. Enemies usually stick to some particular spots and stay there throughout the battles. All they do is popping out of cover and firing at player over and over again. No such strategy is implemented to force the player out of his cover, except for using rushing shotgunner to stun player, which I think is very annoying and obnoxious. Gunplay itself is extremely fun and enjoyable, but sadly basic and dumb AI is really killing the goodness of combat.

benzy

Robo and Nibs already pointed it out, but you could look up to peak over cover and scope out the battlefield vertically and horizontally with the camera. I'd imagine you and others had some frustrating moments not taking advantage of this though. :p

hqjxhe.gif

Robo and Nibs already pointed it out, but you could look up to peak over cover and scope out the battlefield vertically and horizontally with the camera. I'd imagine you and others had some frustrating moments not taking advantage of this though. :p

hqjxhe.gif

I definitely feel like there were moments where I had to actually shuffle left or right to see anything regardless of peeking, but since this was all weeks ago and there's a zero percent chance of me playing this game again, I can't point you to precisely where and when.

It was very impressive until you realise how limited you are in interacting or exploring the environment. It's definitely the best looking movie set tour I've been on.

Games like Crysis will always be more technically impressive as you can do something with the gameplay mechanics and physics whilst being blown away by graphics.

I think you forgot how the original Crysis looked like.

Spazznid

I think you forgot how the original Crysis looked like.

Are you serious? Crysis is still one of the best looking games available. And the best part? Customizable Resolution, Aspect ratio, AA, Toggle Motion Blur and other needless effects, Unrestricted framerate, etc.

cheezcake

TheOrder2.gif

Also, best horses ever. I must have looked at these guys for minutes. The way the muscles in their neck's flex and pull and the texture of their skin is bonkers.

Incredible detail. Can't wait for this to become the norm in AAA graphics.

Yea, you can peak up or to the sides. First play through I didn't use it nearly as much as I should have. But it can be really helpful in pre-emptively lining up shots, including blind fire. Even then, I often find waist high cover to be less useful than full height cover (e.g. being behind tall pillars, walls etc).

It was also useful for baiting the snipers into firing without leaving cover. You'd then have a chance to return fire while they chambered a new round.

Are you serious? Crysis is still one of the best looking games available. And the best part? Customizable Resolution, Aspect ratio, AA, Toggle Motion Blur and other needless effects, Unrestricted framerate, etc.

crysis is not even close to one of the best looking games at this point

Phreak47

I just now got my Redbox copy booted up and i'm heading in. I'm so glad that jolly Mexican fellow informed me it was only 5 hours.

908PlKM.png

Nothing has impressed me quite like this game. Every single chapter has my jaw agape. I basically spam the share button. Not much more to say than what was in the OP but the game is a masterpiece of visuals and sound. I also really enjoyed the VA it really impressed me. I also find the gunplay extremely satisfying. I will say that if they would've delayed this another six months and released it with a fully fleshed out 4 on 4 multiplayer. Maybe even adding co op in the campaign this could've been truly something amazing. It has the perfect setting, weapons characters and enviorments to be Sonys answer to gears of war. I hope the game sells well enough that a sequel can really solidify this as the series it should've been

Sorry for the bump but I can't stop taking screenshots of this game. It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous with some of the best image quality and smoothest 30fps I've ever seen in a game. I wish all games used whatever magic Ready at Dawn pulled off to get such great performance. God damn.

Top Bottom