• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

I thought you were talking about Ps4 games, but anyway.. Star Citizen sure looks stunning, though it doesn't strike me as CG-like as the Order does, even though it surely is technically more advanced (even just for polycount).

Oh yeah, in terms of console games I'd agree that Order is likely unmatched in 2015 in terms of "Wow" factor. I didn't think the UC4 gameplay looked near as nice as The Order, even though in some ways its more impressive because of the larger environments, full native 1080p resolution, etc.

In terms of texture work and materials I don't see anything on PS4 / Xbox touching it this year though yeah.

BPoole

Sorry, but it is! Black bars ARE part of the image. Like it or not! Remove black bars, pixels will be upscaled. So, they are part of the image.
Yeah, they would have to be upscaled because it is not true 1080. The black bars serve no purpose other than shrinking the screen and making it so there is less to render.

Javin98

Banned
Oh yeah, in terms of console games I'd agree that Order is likely unmatched in 2015 in terms of "Wow" factor. I didn't think the UC4 gameplay looked near as nice as The Order, even though in some ways its more impressive because of the larger environments, full native 1080p resolution, etc.

In terms of texture work and materials I don't see anything on PS4 / Xbox touching it this year though yeah.
I think we should wait until E3 to see if Uncharted 4 will match The Order in visual fidelity. That PSX demo still has a way to go to match The Order in terms of IQ, lighting and shading but ND still has 8 months to go. At release date, I think Uncharted 4 will match The Order in most areas but get bested in some areas.

Rising_Hei

I don't think ND can match it since Uncharted 4 will have more of a open nature to its gameplay...

I do think it will have WOW moments that The Order can only dream of, tho (i still remember very specific moments from U2 and U3 that would amaze anyone)

Javin98

Banned
I don't think ND can match it since Uncharted 4 will have more of a open nature to its gameplay...

I do think it will have WOW moments that The Order can only dream of, tho (i still remember very specific moments from U2 and U3 that would amaze anyone)
Yeah, ND targeting 60 FPS doesn't really help either. But if a smaller, more inexperienced studio can pull something like this off, I think ND should at least be able to match it. Like I said, only time will tell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they would have to be upscaled because it is not true 1080. The black bars serve no purpose other than shrinking the screen and making it so there is less to render.

Fewer pixels to render, but a wider view which can mean more things in the horizontal view.

I know I'm late but why bother coming into PS4 threads when you don’t even own one (and I doubt you consider buying one, taking into account your post history) ?

- You came in a lot of The Order threads just to basically say it’s a shitty game (and yet you say that « Ryse is so much better than the the mediocre reviews it got »).

- You came in MLB: The Show threads to say its gameplay and presentation are lame, not good and that the games are not fun. (funny, considering it’s one of the most highly-praised sport franchise)

- You came in a lot of Racing threads to downplay Driveclub. Here’s one of your fine citation: « But if you are looking for pure racing, Forza 5 is going to be a million times better than Driveclub. »

- You came in DualShock4 threads clamoring about those crumbling sticks and how it lights up dark rooms. I’d understand if you owned one and had these issues, but nah…

- You claimed that Microsoft's biggest mistake was locking up Titanfall because it would have showed how bad PSN is compared to Live.

- Etc…

I mean, why do you even feel the need to come into these threads? I just don't understand.

And I’m not even getting into some of your claims about how you think rain has no place in sim-racing games because in real life « there’s no races when it rains », or that « 4 player split screen is not fun, so thanks 343i for not giving us the option. »

Hah, too transparent.

It does look very good, but all in all I still think Ryse looks better, especially the characters. Also, I think the game is very repetitive, I'm glad I didn't pre order it.

BPoole

Fewer pixels to render, but a wider view which can mean more things in the horizontal view.

No, its the same amount of horizontal pixels. Why is this so hard for you all to grasp?

Native 1080p (1920x1080)
1920 horizontal pixels
1080 vertical pixels

The Order (1920x800)
1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels

The remaining 280 vertical pixels are black bars, which render nothing. 1920x800 is about 25% less total pixels than Native 1080p. It is actually much closer to 1600x900 than it is to native 1080p

Conduit

Banned
It does look very good, but all in all I still think Ryse looks better, especially the characters. Also, I think the game is very repetitive, I'm glad I didn't pre order it.

Well, you didn't play The Order. Also, i tried today Ryse on PC on high settings. The Order is technically better than Ryse in any possible way IMO.

No, its the same amount of horizontal pixels. Why is this so hard for you all to grasp?

Native 1080p (1920x1080)
1920 horizontal pixels
1080 vertical pixels

The Order (1920x800)
1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels

The remaining 280 vertical pixels are black bars, which render nothing. 1920x800 is about 25% less total pixels than Native 1080p. It is actually much closer to 1600x900 than it is to native 1080p

You really refuse to accept that black bars are part of the The Order's 1080p image and game is NOT upscaled.

The Order (1920x1080 in 21:9 aspect ratio)
1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels
280 inactive pixels ( EDIT: FIXED )

Fixed for you!

BPoole

Well, you didn't play The Order. Also, i tried today Ryse on PC on high settings. The Order is technically better than Ryse in any possible way IMO.

You really refuse to accept that black bars are part of the The Order's 1080p image and game is NOT upscaled.

1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels
240 inactive pixels

Fixed for you!
1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio
1920x800 is a 2.4:1 aspect ratio

I never said it was upscaled. I said it is not native 1080p, which it is not. You're the one not accepting the facts. It also has 280 (not 240) "inactive pixels" aka nothing but a waste of screen real estate.

Conduit

Banned
I never said it was upscaled. I said it is not native 1080p, which it is not. You're the one not accepting the facts

Nope, you're the one not accepting the facts! Write properly than :

1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels
280 inactive pixels ( i was wrong for 40p, my bad )

1920x800 is a 2.4:1 aspect ratio

Resolution in that aspect ratio DOESN'T EXIST!!! This EXIST : 1920x1080 in 21:9 aspect ratio

BPoole

Nope, you're the one not accepting the facts! Write properly than :

1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels
280 inactive pixels ( i was wrong for 40p, my bad )

Resolution in that aspect ratio DOESN'T EXIST!!! This EXIST : (1920x1080 in 21:9 aspect ratio)

Show me where I said it was upscaled

Edit: 2.4:1 and 21:9 are the same aspect ratios, just written differently (21/9 = 2.4 and 9/9 = 1)

ShutterMunster

This chatter over the black bars and resolution is so sorry lol. It's such a worthless debate too. Really sucks that Hollywood has been cheating me out of 1080p with all these Blu-Ray movies.

All this talk about PC is forgetting the simple fact that you have to brute force games to up the IQ with insane resolutions and AA methods to create those crisp / clean images. Something that takes a solid $1000 PC with a 500+$ GPU.

This is being rendered by a $400 console with the power of a mid-level PC ( or really low-mid level now )

So its pretty impressive to say the least.

Skux

This is just getting silly. Bottom line, the game is rendered at 1920x800. Whether you want to believe "inactive" pixels are being rendered to make up a 1080p image is up to you and makes no difference.

Daingurse

This chatter over the black bars and resolution is so sorry lol. It's such a worthless debate too. Really sucks that Hollywood has been cheating me out of 1080p with all these Blu-Ray movies.

Yep, I see The Order as native 1080p with bars, just like a Blu Ray. The image you are seeing is 1:1 pixel mapped, with no up-scaling. Those are all the qualities of a native image that I care about. I can get past non-rendered black bars pretty easy anyway, they don't bother me during gameplay. I play 480p Dreamcast games pillar boxed and stop noticing those as well. I can understand people wanting their whole display filled, but that just wasn't the choice the developers went with. They easily could have had a full 1080p image if they wanted to, they simply didn't want to compromise on the 4x MSAA. The bars do attribute to the filmic look too, which had to be intentional.

RK9039

It also has really low FOV like The Evil Within right? I'm sure that also helps.

Looks great though, like when you look at things through a magnifying glass.

joecanada

If the pixels are not rendering anything then they do not count in the display image
Most of those are glitches. The Order's AI working as intended is bad.

I don't know about the order but for example in destiny which is often lauded only for gameplay, the ai will literally just stand there if you are too far away.
I'd like to see an example of a current video game with so called great ai
It's all very similar I can tell you now. And don't bother with a " in this one section of X game, the enemies... " every game has been glitched or cheated and has multiple YouTube videos showing ai doing nothing

AlterOdin

Sorry, but it is! Black bars ARE part of the image. Like it or not! Remove black bars, pixels will be upscaled. So, they are part of the image.

LOL this is an insane discussion.

If they remove the black and for whatever reason keep 800p in rendering resolution they would have to scale. But if they remove the black-bars and rendered it in 1080p they would not need to scale (you would only see more). Is this a really hard concept to grasp?

On-topic (per se); This is (one of) the best looking games I have seen, that is attributed to excellent models, animation, post-processing and attention to detail.

On my second play through, can't get enough of how stunning the game looks. The Order is your first reason to buy a gaming projector and play it on THE Big screen >=70"!

AlterOdin

Yes, and i thought of it!

Thought of what?

If they up'ed it to 1080p and removed the blackbars they would not have to scale (which is the point DPoole is trying to make). You would see as much in the width and more in height.

Buy your logic a 640x320 game on a 1080p display is 1080p, as long it has black bars around it. Native pixel representation does not equal the game being the display's native resolution.

But I am out, this is between you and DPool ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thought of what?

If they up'ed it to 1080p and removed the blackbars they would not have to scale (which is the point DPoole is trying to make). You would see as much in the width and more in height.
If they did that, they'd likely lower the FOV to make it about as narrow as usual in 3rd person games. I could be wrong, but I think FOV in TO is a bit wider than typical, which makes it so that you can see about the same vertically as you normally would in 16:9 games, but you get to see more to the sides. Or it's some middle ground. I'm pretty sure they didn't just cut off the top and the bottom of the typical 3rd person FOV, like they did in the Evil Within.

Beboh13

Banned
The Order looks great up close and in the interior details, but I still think Unity on console is more impressive. Based on graphics alone, I'd say Ryse on PC is the best I've seen.

pixelation

The Order looks great up close and in the interior details, but I still think Unity on console is more impressive. Based on graphics alone, I'd say Ryse on PC is the best I've seen.

I disagree... however everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It is not native 1080p. Native 1080 is 1920x1080 which is a 16:9 aspect ratio. Due to the black bars, it changes the aspect ratio to some whack ass ratio that no TV in existance uses, so what is being displayed on screen is only 1920x800. By your logic, a dev could make the res 1920x100 and you'd have a skinny line of actual picture, and you'd still consider that full 1080p, even though only 19200 pixels being rendered

By your logic, half or more of the bluray movie discs released aren't 1080p. What are they? How can your display report 1080p if no upscaling is taking place? Are you aware that bluray specification does not allow resolutions of 1920 x anything other than 1080? And yet there are all those movies from Lawrence of Arabia to Lord of the Rings to Guardians of the Galaxy....

When and more importantly HOW did so many people decide that "resolution" is dependent on the color of the pixels being displayed and black pixels don't count?

A lot of you sure seem mightily confused by the difference between resolution and aspect ratio.

benzy

1886 Gameplay Reveal 1 year before release
the_order_1886_shooting.gif

U4 Gameplay Reveal (possibly) 1 year before release
s4PIJk8.gif

Pimpwerx

I haven't played enough of it yet. Only the first chapter or so. The game looks like titties in in my face. Really impressive stuff. PEACE.

pixlexic

Banned
I think in terms of graphics the order really hit home for me that good lighting is more important than high res textures.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Native 1080p (1920x1080)
1920 horizontal pixels
1080 vertical pixels

The Order (1920x800)
1920 horizontal pixels
800 vertical pixels

Of course it's the same pixels being rendered. When I said "things" I was referring to objects in the environment. A wider aspect ratio means more of it will be in view horizontally.

But, yeah, you're obviously right about the resolution. 1600x900 is 69.4% of 1080p, whereas 1920x800 is around 74.1%.

By your logic, half or more of the bluray movie discs released aren't 1080p. What are they? How can your display report 1080p if no upscaling is taking place? Are you aware that bluray specification does not allow resolutions of 1920 x anything other than 1080? And yet there are all those movies from Lawrence of Arabia to Lord of the Rings to Guardians of the Galaxy....

When and more importantly HOW did so many people decide that "resolution" is dependent on the color of the pixels being displayed and black pixels don't count?

A lot of you sure seem mightily confused by the difference between resolution and aspect ratio.

His point is that it has to fill less of the screen each frame and thus there are performance gains compared to a fully filled 1920x1080 16:9 screen.

Of course it's the same pixels being rendered. When I said "things" I was referring to objects in the environment. A wider aspect ratio means more of it will be in view horizontally.

That is only if you have a lower FOV by default at normal 1080p. No reason to not increase or maintain a higher horizontal FOV. Having the aspect ratio of the order does not necessarily mean more horizontal world objects being in view.

RexNovis

Banned
I haven't played enough of it yet. Only the first chapter or so. The game looks like titties in in my face. Really impressive stuff. PEACE.

Box quote of the century

The Order 1886
"The game looks like titties in my face"

You, sir, are a poet.

Hubble

Plus, the developers have said multiple times that they could've gone for full-screen 1080p easily, but they chose 21:9 + much wider FoV, sticking with the artistic direction in place since before the order was actually a thing. Then they realized they could also fit 4x msaa on it. The more, the better.

Of course according to RaD, the black bars are for 'artistic direction'. They're not going to say we included black bars because the PS4 could not render our game in 1080p, would they? They have to defend their decision to include black bars in a positive light or else, that would bring negative attention. If you think RaD wanted black bars than you're being naive. The reality is they had to include black bars because they could not render the game with their effects in full 1080p without sacrifices.

You really refuse to accept that black bars are part of the The Order's 1080p image and game is NOT upscaled

Oh lawd.

All Xbox One games should have black bars so they're 1080p.

Video games that are classified 1080p do not have 280 inactive pixels. This is totally disingenuous.

Top Bottom