• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Wild Arms may be possible?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just remember: it's not Wild Arms without Michiko Naruke.

And yeah, I'd also like it if it were more like 1-3.
While Michiko Naruke is indeed amazing...

WA5 had Noriyasu Agematsu and Masato Kouda. And it was awesome.
Wild Arms 5 has one of the best OSTs in the series.

I'd honestly be happy if we got Agematsu and Kouda, or Naruke. They're both really great. I'd also be happy if we just got a new Wild Arms at all, at this point. As a consumer, I want to see it on the Vita, but I worry about it not selling much and ruining chances for us seeing future entries in the series. I think PS3/PS4 would be a safer choice... and if it were on PS4, it would have the distinction and advantage of being one of the first/only JRPGs on the console.

urfe

Wild Arms 1 is a game I consider one of the RPG greats. I loved how any secrets it had in it, tools were novel and well implemented, music rocked and the art style was great.

I found 2 to not be as good, and 3 to be better than 2, but no where close to 1.

I'm fine with being able to play WA whenever on my Vita.... or just watch that opening sequence one more time.

Terra_Ex

Loved the series (with the exception of WA2's shitty localisation) so I'd buy it, would greatly prefer a home console/pc version to a portable title though.

Sesha

I'd love to see a Wild Arms 6 on either PS3 or PSV (maybe crossplay?), but are the members of the Wild Arms dev teams still at Media.vision in any significant degree?

Soriku

I'd honestly be happy if we got Agematsu and Kouda, or Naruke. They're both really great. I'd also be happy if we just got a new Wild Arms at all, at this point. As a consumer, I want to see it on the Vita, but I worry about it not selling much and ruining chances for us seeing future entries in the series. I think PS3/PS4 would be a safer choice... and if it were on PS4, it would have the distinction and advantage of being one of the first/only JRPGs on the console.

I linked If We Act Like Scholars in the OP. I love the part at 1:26.

WA5 had crazy variety in its OST. I actually wrote a longish post about it on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931326-wild-arms-5/63817450

Biker19

Banned
Just a little d/l title. Make it look like the PS1 games. 10 veterans from the series/other JRPGs past. It's where the industry's going.

Not within the Japanese. They're more fond with physical copies like I am, which is why games & collections like Dungeons & Dragons, Okami HD, E.X. Troopers, & Strider (all from Capcom) came out on a disc for PS3.

Even PC gaming is less popular in Japan.

I used to think that until I heard the music in WA5. No disrespect to Michiko Naruke and what she accomplished with WA of course, but even without her there are people more than capable of delivering a great WA soundtrack IMO.
WA5 had Noriyasu Agematsu and Masato Kouda. And it was awesome.
I didn't like WA5 all that much (mostly because the story, characters, and music felt off to me), but I agree that Masato Kouda is really good. Kouda's overworld theme for WA4 is one of my favorite songs in the series.

Coxy

While Michiko Naruke is indeed amazing...

I was thinking "Persephone better be in there"
first track, good man

DJIzana

Oh the memories, my first PS1 RPG. I really loved the game, a new remake (like the ps1 game, not the ps2 version) would be amazing. The music from Michiko Naruke is also incredible.

I don't think the first one needs to be remade for a third time.

Don't get me wrong though... the first and second Wild Arms games are my favorite in the series. I'd much prefer to see something new.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I linked If We Act Like Scholars in the OP. I love the part at 1:26.

WA5 had crazy variety in its OST. I actually wrote a longish post about it on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931326-wild-arms-5/63817450
Nice write-up. I also see little appreciation for WA5's OST. Every now and then I see it pop up (SupraDarky listed a few WA5 tracks in his youtube VGM playlist) but I usually see WA1-3's OSTs get much more attention. Not that they don't deserve it, but, still.

Paltros

I'm hoping for WA Collection or a WA3 remake. I feel like WA3 is the best of the bunch because it's the only one that actually went for a wild west setting (it even had fights while riding horseback!), and Virginia is one of the best female lead character in a game ever.

Yuterald

Does Gunners Heaven have any relation to Wild Arms?

I believe it was one of (if not the first?) game developed by Media Vision. The two characters in that game are like spitting images of Rudy and Cecilia. Always was meaning to import that game too. Looks like a cool run n' gun shooter. Interestingly enough, Gunners Heaven made a comeback/tribute in Wild ARMs 3 (I believe?). It was the name of a secret area, if I recall correctly.

On topic, I'd love for Wild ARMs to return in some fashion or form (as I do with a lot of RPGs and series from the good old PSone days), but it would have to have the right team and vision (lol) in order for me to be excited. Bring back the key people responsible for what made the series/games so great and then we'll talk.

Stimpack

I was thinking Metal Arms when I first saw the thread.

200391-header.jpg

What is wrong with you?!

A part of me would kill for a return to JRPGs, but at the same time I feel like I'm a totally different person after all these years. I think they would definitely have to evolve to some extent.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I only played the first one, do the others still happen in Filgaia (i think thats teh name)? Do they all connect in some way?

DJIzana

I only played the first one, do the others still happen in Filgaia (i think thats teh name)? Do they all connect in some way?

Wild Arms 2 takes place in Filgaia. There's a few easter eggs you'll find that correlate to the first Wild Arms but that's all you'll really find.

Unfortunately, I stopped playing after Wild Arms 2. Wasn't into the whole cel shaded thing at the time. :p

Soriku

They all take place in Filgaia, except I think they're all different...

WA5's world was to-scale (similar to DQ VIII) so it was pretty cool.

Baust

I'm surprised Michiko Naruke hasn't composed a whole lot lately.

She's definitely one of the industry's finest.

SolVanderlyn

Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3 all take place in Filgaia, and it's implied that it's the same, slowly dying Filgaia throughout all three games. By the time of WA3 we have literal sand oceans because of how bad it's gotten.

WA4 and WA5 are different continuities altogether.

SkyOdin

They all theoretically take place in the same setting of Filgaia, but it is really hard to be certain, since they vary so dramatically between games. On the other hand, the Wild ARMs series is really good at maintaining consistency in tone and keeping a lot of recurring elements. Stuff like the Guardians appear in every single game.

Takao

Banned
Some more info that needs translating:

“もう完結した”と言うつもりはなく、いつかきっとPS VitaやPS4といった最新ハードで発売できるよう実現に向けて検討していく考え。支援してほしい。

SCEとしてもワイルドアームズを忘れているわけではない。

http://remoon.blog15.fc2.com/blog-entry-30023.html

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just remember: it's not Wild Arms without Michiko Naruke.

And yeah, I'd also like it if it were more like 1-3.
Interesting.

I actually thought both 4 and (especially) 5 were much better games all around and have more potential for a sequel.

Also, as much as I adore the work of Naruke on the original games, I actually thought the soundtrack for 5 was the best in the series. Have you listened to it? It's incredibly good.

sub_o

Here's my crappy translation of it.

“もう完結した”と言うつもりはなく、
We are not saying that, "It's already finished"

いつかきっとPS VitaやPS4といった最新ハードで発売できるよう実現に向けて検討していく考え。
Someday surely, I've been thinking and considering making it possible to sell it on new hardwares such as PS Vita or PS4.

支援してほしい。
I want to support it

SCEとしてもワイルドアームズを忘れているわけではない。
SCE will never forget "Wild Arms"

Blue-kun

I'd buy a PS4 for it, as soon as it's announced. Especially if they get Kaneko back, since I can't imagine Wild ARMs without him, haha. Oh, and Naruke. Naruke and Agematsu on the score! We've been getting a steady number of Agematsu and the rest of the EG crew, but Naruke's been doing her own albums every other year and... not much else. And she's right at home with WA, of course :V

Please, let it happen, Japan.

Recall

I own Wild Arms 1-3 and still find 1 to be the best. I would love a Wild Arms but I'm not sure how streamlined of an experience it may be and if some of the charm might not be there. At least we know the translation has a much better chance of being excellent or at least coherent with today's translation standards.

Aeana

I own Wild Arms 1-3 and still find 1 to be the best. I would love a Wild Arms but I'm not sure how streamlined of an experience it may be and if some of the charm might not be there. At least we know the translation has a much better chance of being excellent or at least coherent with today's translation standards.
The translation of 5 was done by 8-4 and was definitely excellent.

This reminds me I need to pick up WA2 off of PSN and finish it. Never beat the original PSX release. I dig it though (warts and all)

Omgggg fjfjdbdhdbdbf

I just read through thia thread with the biggest grin imaginable trying hard not to jump up and down omgg

Please let this happen please..omg please..I need more Wild ARMs in me. I need to visit the lands of Filgaia once more. Please baby Jesus wherever you are.

Omg please...

I've been asking for a new Wild ARMs for the ps3 Or the vita. If it's on ps4 that's fine too. Hell its one of the MAIN reasons I'll always buy a Sony console. As long as they hold the rights to the IP, there's a glimmer of a chance of it appearing and for that, I'll buy the goddamn PS9.

Please...

The feels..

Let this happen.

yencid

I still whistle advanced wind from time to time. I owned every one of the ps2 games so i really hope they bring it back.

yencid

Now the question is would you guys want it brought back with the HEX system or with a more turn based system like in wild arms 3?

The battle system in 3 kinda bothered me. I haven't played WA3 since it first released, but I remember thinking the characters felt underpowered and interchangeable compared to 1 and 2. Now I am just talking about the battle mechanics here, the characters were fine as far as personalities and storylines.

But I definitely felt that Rudy and Ashley were way more fun to play as than Virginia.

Also, Ashley has the single greatest power in all of JRPGS. And that needs to come back for the main character in any future Wild Arms game.

As the Knightblazer, he had the ability to override any battle theme with his own.

Blue-kun

I don't know any japanese, so can't really say what this is about, but Agematsu (WA5 composer) tweeted something about Wild ARMs and linked to Akifumi Kaneko's blog, where he (apparently) posted something about the Famitsu interview. Don't know if there's any relevant information or if he's just happy that there's still people talking about the series that he helped create/build, but, yeah.

Link to said blog post, if anyone around could provide a summary of what was said it'd be great.

SkyOdin

Now the question is would you guys want it brought back with the HEX system or with a more turn based system like in wild arms 3?

I would like to see the HEX battle system come back, actually. It was original, and allowed for some good strategy without being too slow. It could probably so with some updates, but is a solid system. Wild ARMs 4 and 5 had some good puzzle fights using it.

I would like to see another one but I would also like to see the series sell more too. I'm not sure how they can open it up to get more mass appeal. I would hate to see them make another only to take a big loss.

Yuterald

Yeah, I'd take a refined/updated hex system again. Aside from the personal skills introduced in Wild ARMs 2 (and the unique ARMs/character specific skills) WA was always a relatively standard turn based RPG until the 4th game introduced the hex stuff. Wild ARMs V, for me, was what Shadow Hearts From the New World did to the judgment ring from Covenant (which, for me, was as refined as it was going to get). So, with that train of thought, maybe they should just come up with something new?

Top Bottom