• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Wild Arms may be possible?

B.K.

Now the question is would you guys want it brought back with the HEX system or with a more turn based system like in wild arms 3?

No more HEX, please. They refined it a lot in Wild ARMs 5, but the HEX system was never a good battle system.

I would like to see another one but I would also like to see the series sell more too. I'm not sure how they can open it up to get more mass appeal. I would hate to see them make another only to take a big loss.

Milk nostalgia (it works on many!)

D/L

Keep the tech PSX level.

Cross-play PS3/4/Vita

I failed to reply to the previous quoter, but this is how it's going to be: large overseas sales, maybe some nostalgic native middle-aged players who remember their time with it nigh 20 years ago fondly.

Faustek

I don't know any japanese, so can't really say what this is about, but Agematsu (WA5 composer) tweeted something about Wild ARMs and linked to Akifumi Kaneko's blog, where he (apparently) posted something about the Famitsu interview. Don't know if there's any relevant information or if he's just happy that there's still people talking about the series that he helped create/build, but, yeah.

Link to said blog post, if anyone around could provide a summary of what was said it'd be great.

A really friendly person translated it

http://oreiro-sky.tumblr.com/post/81591468931/wild-arms-news-kaneko-akifumi-blog-translation

She is super nice so instead of copy pasting visit her blog and read up.

Blue-kun

Thanks for the link! And man, Kaneko always come across as being such a nice guy, I keep track of his blog and try to make do with translations given by some friends, he's always really pumped about his works and seems to love them to death. When he mentions Symphogear and how he hasn't forgotten WA, it's definitely true -- there are A LOT of Wild ARMs references scattered through Symphogear, from random terminology such as Ka Dingel to more subtle stuff, like using quotes from WA characters here and there.

And lol, I lost it with the Maji Love 2000% bit. He and Agematsu seem to have a good friendship going on there, they've been working on Symphogear together for a good while now too. I hope that, if WA6 happens, they'll be together in it again. With Naruke as well! A collab :V

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just hope they realize one the weakest elements for the series is the writing and deal with this. I'd prefer a mature story with realistic characterizations without all the convoluted story points.

As far as I can tell, the games are on Sony platforms while the IP belongs to Media Vision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Arms_(series)

I looked around, but I could find anything else that actually said that Sony owns the IP.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU000826271

Trade mark WILD ARMS
Status Registered
Filing date 12 May 1998
Date of entry in register 08 September 1999
Renewal date 12 May 2018
Class 9 - Computer and video games; computer and video game programs; audio and video recordings; phonograph records, cassettes, tapes, compact discs, video discs, magnetic data media.
Class 16 - Printed matter; books; publications; stationery.
Class 28 - Toys; games and playthings; electronic handheld games.
Holder's name - Sony Computer Entertainment UK Limited
25 Golden Square, London, United Kingdom, W1R 6LU
Representative - BOULT WADE TENNANT
Verulam Gardens 70 Gray's Inn Road, London, United Kingdom, WC1X 8BT
First advert Journal : 1999/016 Date of publication : 08 March 1999

I know I'm a couple of days late with this, but it's definitely Sony's. Which means their reluctance to bring it to Vita is all the more puzzling. Surely they could, at least, get a 20 or 30 person team in Japan Studio working on it. Heck, make it a digital release using Phyre Engine and surely it wouldn't exactly be a drain on resources?!

EDIT - also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I only really have experience of the first game in the Wild Arms series, but I still love this intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I

Faustek

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/04/new-wild-arms-works-still-far-awaya/

It seems like a new Wild Arms is coming, but still very far away (meaning they just recently started).

Uhm

I want to let you know that, it’s been six years and eight months since the release of Wild Arms XF, and since then, I’ve been working behind the scenes, together with Nishijima (Taku Nishijima) and Motomura (Kentaro), two great friends from SCE, to whom I’m very grateful.

Sounds like they started a long time ago but probably just planing and sketching.

SONY should release their PS2 exclusives on the PSN as PS2 Classics... I want to play Wild Arms 5 soooooooo baaaaaaadly !!!!!

O can't understand why they haven't.

Sony owns practically every IP they publish. Practically, because I think there's an outlier or two, but very rarely if at all.

Surely they could, at least, get a 20 or 30 person team in Japan Studio working on it. Heck, make it a digital release using Phyre Engine and surely it wouldn't exactly be a drain on resources?!

What if they don't want to work on it? Forcing devs to work on something that they've never cared about internally doesn't seem like a good idea. Sony is better off funding an entirely new RPG that Japan Studio cares to make instead.

Furthermore, Wild Arms isn't exactly a popular IP either. Logically, if they'd want to bring back Wild Arms, it cannot be a half-assed job, otherwise it's no different from taking it from the closet only to stab it in the chest.

Rocky

Banned
Furthermore, Wild Arms isn't exactly a popular IP either. Logically, if they'd want to bring back Wild Arms, it cannot be a half-assed job, otherwise it's no different from taking it from the closet only to stab it in the chest.

WTF are you talking about? If it's not popular, why did they make the original, 4 sequels, XF for PSP and remake of the first one on PS2? Maybe its not a popular series with you, but I think it's at least somewhat popular, just look at this thread.

I, for one, would love another Wild Arms, one of my top favorite RPG series of all time.

SONY should release their PS2 exclusives on the PSN as PS2 Classics... I want to play Wild Arms 5 soooooooo baaaaaaadly !!!!!

Siliconera had an article stating that the WIld Arms games did not work with the PS2 emulator on PS3. I would guess that the best chance for those games to come back would be with the rumored local PS2 emulation on PS4, but that probably won't get released prior to PSNow.

I personally feel that Wild Arms 2 and it's skill system was unmatched for a while in the RPG space, but I also adored the hex system, and the SRPG. Holy crap this series is amazing.

WTF are you talking about? If it's not popular, why did they make the original, 4 sequels, XF for PSP and remake of the first one on PS2? Maybe its not a popular series with you, but I think it's at least somewhat popular, just look at this thread.

Popular in the broadest sense. While the franchise seems to have found moderate success in Japan, it seemed at least that it wasn't true overseas, as SCE didn't bother bringing Wild Arms outside of Japan after 3. 4/5/XF were localised by 3rd-party publishers instead of Sony themselves.

Besides, I know wikipedia is unreliable without sources, but JP wiki states that Wild Arms 3 only sold around 270k, down from the highs of WA1/2 which was around 400k.

Subsequent sequel sales weren't mentioned there, but the PSP Wild Arms sold... 63k.

Assuming if true, that does not reflect a strong franchise. And I'd be inclined to believe it to an extent... Wild Arms and Arc the Lad have always been treated as a 2nd-tier RPG franchise by Sony, compared to what they push in the forefront like Rogue Galaxy or White Knight Chronicles.

I was thinking Metal Arms when I first saw the thread.

200391-header.jpg

BOTH.

PLEASE.

I've never been much of a fan of the WA series, but I'd definitely be happy to see a new entry in the series. Hope this actually turns into a game somewhere down the road.

What if they don't want to work on it? Forcing devs to work on something that they've never cared about internally doesn't seem like a good idea. Sony is better off funding an entirely new RPG that Japan Studio cares to make instead.

True, if there's no drive from within then maybe they shouldn't bother. However, I think it's a little unfair to say the series doesn't have a following. Just because it's not a huge RPG series a la Tales or Final Fantasy doesn't make it irrelevant or not worth bothering with. Sony just needs to put some development effort behind it and actually market it this time around.

I don't remember the exact amounts but I remember seeing sales figures for Wild Arms 4 & 5 in North America in one of the NPD threads here and it was not pretty. Low 5 digits not-pretty.

Didn't XSeed recently say it was impossible to release WA5 on PSN because of some technical issue?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/24/dont-expect-see-ps2-wild-arms-games-playstation-network-ps3/

Also, whatever they got in the works, I hope it takes more artistic direction from the first 3 WA games and not WA4 and 5. Gotta have a heavy emphasis on the "Wild West" setting. WA4 looked like it was more inspired by the early 20th century era and WA5 was all strange(like it took all the WA games, WA4 included, and some other ideas like REALLY futuristic media societies and threw them in a blender).

As for exploration, I found it odd how the first three were pretty standard traditional JRPG(world map and all), WA4 was super linear(FFX-esque, were it was basically one big path) and WA5 was full-scale world map(like DQ8). Would kill for another WA world like the last one(exploration-wise).

Squalor

I don't remember the exact amounts but I remember seeing sales figures for Wild Arms 4 & 5 in North America in one of the NPD threads here and it was not pretty. Low 5 digits not-pretty.
I think you're lumping Wild Arms 5's decent sales figures in with Wild Arms 4's bad sales figures.

WA4 wasn't good and deserved its bad sales (somewhere around 50,000 in the States).

WA5 was a pretty good, but not up to the standards of the earlier titles. It sold about 120,000 copies in the States. It's not amazing, but it's pretty good, and it's not as though there were a ton of copies shipped here. It was pretty hard to find.

Takao

Banned
Wild ARMs in Japan was a downhill kind of franchise:

PS1 : Wild Arms ( SCE ) { 1996-12-20 } - 116,393 / 415,138
PS1 : Wild Arms 2 ( SCE ) { 1999-09-02 } - 164,082 / 280,037
PS2 : Wild Arms 3 ( SCE ) { 2002-03-14 } - 156,997 / 273,318
PS2 : Wild Arms 3 [Playstation 2 the Best] ( SCE ) { 2002-11-07 } - 3,225 / 5,360
PS2 : Wild Arms Alter Code: F ( SCE ) { 2003-11-27 } - 102,543 / 167,254
PS2 : Wild Arms 4 ( SCE ) { 2005-03-24 } - 131,728 / 186,221
PS2 : Wild Arms 5 ( SCE ) { 2006-12-14 } - 68,789 / 117,975
PSP : Wild Arms XF ( SCE ) { 2007-08-09 } - 28,508 / 52,090

(Famitsu numbers)

It was definitely SCE's big JRPG IP though. You don't get seven games, manga, and a TV anime if you're just a second tier property.

cwistofu

Wild Arms 5 had possibly one of the best battle systems in any JRPG.

Up there with Shadow Hearts 3, FFX-2.

I would be disappointed if the HEX system was taken out.

BlueTsunami

The HEX system needs to be sped up a bit. Hopefully they implement a locked 30fps frame rate and make the menus and actions snappy. Maybe a speedup option. I was spoiled playing WA5 on my PC and emulator. Was able to use frame skip.

Pharaun

Wild ARMs in Japan was a downhill kind of franchise:

PS1 : Wild Arms ( SCE ) { 1996-12-20 } - 116,393 / 415,138
PS1 : Wild Arms 2 ( SCE ) { 1999-09-02 } - 164,082 / 280,037
PS2 : Wild Arms 3 ( SCE ) { 2002-03-14 } - 156,997 / 273,318
PS2 : Wild Arms 3 [Playstation 2 the Best] ( SCE ) { 2002-11-07 } - 3,225 / 5,360
PS2 : Wild Arms Alter Code: F ( SCE ) { 2003-11-27 } - 102,543 / 167,254
PS2 : Wild Arms 4 ( SCE ) { 2005-03-24 } - 131,728 / 186,221
PS2 : Wild Arms 5 ( SCE ) { 2006-12-14 } - 68,789 / 117,975
PSP : Wild Arms XF ( SCE ) { 2007-08-09 } - 28,508 / 52,090

(Famitsu numbers)

It was definitely SCE's big JRPG IP though. You don't get seven games, manga, and a TV anime if you're just a second tier property.

Those numbers make me sad, the series deserved better sales than that.

The HEX system needs to be sped up a bit. Hopefully they implement a locked 30fps frame rate and make the menus and actions snappy. Maybe a speedup option. I was spoiled playing WA5 on my PC and emulator. Was able to use frame skip.

THIS!

Speed up the battle system(fine tune the HEX system), keep WA5's massive world map(as in full scale world exploration that doesn't feel too big, but just right, like Dragon Quest 8)...

I'd love some rocket skates.

... keep this too!!

Coxy

WA5 got and still gets a lot of hate for some reason

I dont know why, to me it was like Skies of Arcadia
with a giant robot

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Was Alter Code F a good remake? It still hovers around $50 used, which is a huge turn off from getting it when the original is on PSN for way less.

I'm waiting for this rumored new Wild Arms to be announced as another strategy RPG.
Or a mobile phone game

Shouta

WA5 got and still gets a lot of hate for some reason

I dont know why, to me it was like Skies of Arcadia
with a giant robot

Gets lot of hate because the story is super annoying. I felt like the scope was pretty constrained and that they could've made it a more enjoyable experience overall despite the good stuff.

BlueTsunami

Possible announcement at TGS this year?

I got the first game for free a while ago on Vita. How does it holds up? I'm not a big JRPG fan but I'm interested in trying this out. What kind of experience am I in for?

Holds up extremely well. Music, dungeons, and characters are pitch perfect in my opinion. The battle system is a relic though. Timeless game to me otherwise but it could be nostalgia speaking, even though I replayed it for the uncounted time two years ago. Its definitely not just my youth speaking.

Gets lot of hate because the story is super annoying. I felt like the scope was pretty constrained and that they could've made it a more enjoyable experience overall despite the good stuff.

I agree with Shouta, the game went off in some awkward political, genocide commentary that was awkward when placed againest the care free nature of the main cast. It was like the writers wanted to draw in a younger crowd but create some sort of depth in the scenario writing. It was awful. Otherwise the game was enjoyable and showed what was possible with a modern Wild Arms.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As a console RPG fan, I've learned not to get my hopes up... but oh how much I'd love for a new Wild Arms for PS4 or Vita. Such a great series, especially the music... cel-shaded or 2D graphics though please.

I think Wild Arms could work in a more action-oriented system like a Tales game actually.

Yeah, WA6 should be an action RPG. The HEX system is fun but overcomplicated, and turn-based doesn't suit the "wild weird west" thing this series has going on. WA4's side scrolling field maps combined with contra-style action would be the sauce here

Fantastic news. I will take pretty much any JRPG at this point. Wild Arms 1 was my favorite, but I did enjoy and beat 2 and 3 as well.

The most interesting thing about this news is that this game (if it ever comes to be) is most likely not the "Secret AAA Sony JRPG" as it sounds like they are barely any where in the development process.

Yawnier

Banned
Wild Arms 3 was the only Wild Arms game I played years ago but I enjoyed it. I would definitely take a new game in the series to how it would turn out.

I wouldn't mind seeing 4 and 5 on PSN as PS2 classics either but it apparently isn't going to happen.

Psxphile

Action RPG? Maybe if it's a spin-off like XF (which went full Tactics), but a mainline entry should remain a straight jRPG with the ability to interact with the environment via tools.

And to those quoting the downturn in sales: although I can't say the same for Japan, when Wild Arms first came to the west there was an absolute dearth in quality RPGs on Playstation in the days before FFVII hit. By the time Wild Arms 3 hit on PS2, competition was fierce with all kinds of rpgs were being localized. It's not surprising the series began to cede market share.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It would seem uncharacteristic of them to hire out wouldn't it? I guess the order is a second party game that is coming out but they've been doubling down on first party studios more.

I'd like to see another. I have them all except the remake. Playing through 2 intermittently

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I barely played the others in the series (finished 2 but took me forever to, and barely touched 3 but that's just kind of a matter of circumstances, not because I disliked it) but the original is one of my all-time faves (hell my avatar should prove that). I'm not sure if I want a new one if it's all modernized and crappy though... -) But if done right it could be amazing.

Jokes aside, if you guys happened to make a Wild Arms-like...i'd play the hell out of it.

Just saying.
Ditto! By the way, what is the song from on the April Fools page? Is it one of the later WA games? I didn't recognize it.

I think Wild Arms could work in a more action-oriented system
Sure, that could work. A Zelda-like, with the puzzle mechanics... or maybe something like Dragon's Dogma, or...

like a Tales game actually.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DIE DIE DIE

Top Bottom