• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sean Murray apologists are blowing my mind rn. God bless them, lmao.
Yesterday we had people calling for the thread to be locked.

Like I said then, Iraqi War Ministry levels of deflection and apologizing. I wonder where those posters are today. Working on new spin, I guess. "Maybe he's on a gag order..."

Fuck off with that nonsense.

in my eyes,

rare = 4% - 6%

super rare = 1% - 3%

incredibly rare = 0% (impossible)

he said "incredibly rare". he didn't say "rare". or even "super rare".

i just don't get why people are having an issue with this.

yah. it was a joke. so is this one.

Well shit, what is mega rare then? And I thought uber rare was rarer than incredibly rare.

I'VE BEEN WRONG THIS WHOLE TIME.

DataGhost

Never really followed the game too much until my bud kept hyping it up a couple weeks back and got me excited. Texted me a bunch of memes daily lol, and sent me a ton of videos about No Man's Sky from the youtuber DM21 Gaming.
So I've been learning actual info about the game pretty recently so I want to know if i'll be able to play with him. And as a multiplayer guy the aspect of coming across others excites me. Though, I know it's mainly a solo game.
No hate, just want an answer.

As Sean said, it's not a multiplayer game.

You should probably cancel your preorder because the only thing Sean confirmed for the most part was being able to see other people. You will have an small chance of finding someone else and even less of a chance to find your friend

Bytes

Patient: Doctor, do I have AIDs?

Doctor: Well, the chances of you contracting AIDs are so slim that it isn't even worth talking about.

Patient: But we ran tests, can't you just tell me if I do or don't have it?

Doctor: Wow, I'm so surprised by the amount of people running tests right now. Props to the blood test department for holding up.

Patient: ....

Doctor: People have already found thousands of different diseases. This is incredible!

Good stuff and a good example of Sean's bizarre behavior on this issue.

Marvel

could never

Doctor: Well, the chances of you contracting AIDs are so slim that it isn't even worth talking about.

Doctor: Wow, I'm so surprised by the amount of people running tests right now. Props to the blood test department for holding up.

Doctor: People have already found thousands of different diseases. This is incredible!
Holy shit lol

MaDKaT

It's not a trick question.

"What happens when two people meet?".

The game is out for some and they won't even say if it has an advertised feature because the hope was nobody would ever meet and find out.

Agreed that it would be easy to answer, however it may not be up to him to talk about it at this time.

Bossking

Banned
It's embarrassing how many guilt-tripping posts there are in this thread. Like, did you realize an actual human being worked on this game? Just ignore the false-advertising and the complete radio silence on removed features touted up until release, we should rush out and give this game our $60 and a 10/10 rating because we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

This wouldn't be an issue if they just clarified in the most plainest of English words before launch that multiplayer in the most general sense of two human-controlled players on-screen interacting at the same time was not included in the game or was possibly cut near the end of the production due to reasons. Being vague about it and talking about how low of a chance it would be is was less helpful than just saying the chance is zero because it's not in.

Tagyhag

I imagine he could tweet "No comment" in response to a tweet about multiplayer?

Honestly that would be even worse. Staying silent would be the better alternative.

If he is gagged by an NDA, to the point that he can't say he is, then hopefully it's all cleared up soon

And I'll take back all my criticism if true, because that seems like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

DataGhost

You should read the rest of what I stated instead of just the first part.

Like I said, it's not a multiplayer game in that you can't expect to play with friends (since finding them is next to impossible ) and thus far the only repeatedly confirmed feature is that you can see other people. He did say you could grief a bit but I'm not sure what "grief" he means

Agreed that it would be easy to answer, however it may not be up to him to talk about it at this time.

Anything is possible but I think assuming that Sony has some sort of gag order on him for a game that is already out and in public hands is kind of a stretch.

MaDKaT

Which is weird because I would expect the NDA to end when the game you know releases and is out there

Could be something tied with the PC release date and Sony "owning" the message until then.

Anything is possible but I think assuming that Sony has some sort of gag order on him for a game that is already out and in public hands is kind of a stretch.

Is it really though? My understanding is that Sony is in charge of marketing the game for the PS4. Is it that much of a stretch to think Sony is controlling the message.

Landford

Banned
If it turns up you cant really connect with other people, It will make me really sad. Not because of no man sky, but with the whole industry as a whole. That you can make these kinds of statments and get away with it.

Vic_Viper

Havent been following this thread but has it been confirmed yet that its impossible to see someone else playing?

Even if its super extremely rare, by now someone would have been able to see someone else while playing. If anything they should have done something like Fable 2 did with their multiplayer. Have other players just be a floating ball.

This should never have been a reason for someone to go out and buy the game to begin with. I dont know how many times he needs to say it, this isnt that kind of game. Although he should have been up front about it. Wonder if this was something they were trying to get working but just couldnt before release.

Brashnir

An NDA preventing the developer to talk about whether a feature is in the game or not after it has launched is just shady as hell.

If anything, that's actually worse than him being cagey independently.

Someone in a marketing department telling a developer that he's not allowed to tell the truth about his own game is practically an indictment of the entire company.

DataGhost

Havent been following this thread but has it been confirmed yet that its impossible to see someone else playing?

Even if its super extremely rare, by now someone would have been able to see someone else while playing. If anything they should have done something like Fable 2 did with their multiplayer. Have other players just be a floating ball.

This should never have been a reason for someone to go out and buy the game to begin with. I dont know how many times he needs to say it, this isnt that kind of game. Although he should have been up front about it. Wonder if this was something they were trying to get working but just couldnt before release.

Thus far, we had one instance where people have met up and tried multiple tests to try to see each other to no avail. Yes they were both connected online.

There have been other cases of people finding each other.

Tagyhag

If anything, that's actually worse than him being cagey independently.

Oh it's infinitely worse. They're being silenced for the purpose of selling their game under false pretenses.

Hell, a thing like that should be illegal.

Edit: If the NDA were to be true ofc. This is just hypothetical at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that some people will end up meeting and people will say that it was fixed but it wasn't there at launch, and maybe they'll be right but ultimately doesn't matter.

ResoRai

It's gotta fit their agenda to be accepted. That fucking video is clear evidence of what goes down but hey continue to parade around.
Man look, in the same video, after he explains finding traces of other players and the creatures they named he says: "but actually going to a planet and another player being in the same place at the same time is incredibly rare, and it's something that depending on how many people play the game it might not even happen.
It's obvious he said you'll be able to see the marks other players made, but it's also obvious that he said you'll be able to come across other players.

I don't know if you missed these bits or w/e, but you're coming across as the one with an agenda.

We're reaching Dummy Finger levels of insanity. A simple, concise tweet regarding this issue could alleviate all of the drama.
That simple, concise tweet would have been welcomed a month ago when the game went gold. Now, each day that goes by simply adds to their newly perceived levels of shade. There is no reason to not be completely transparent here. At worst they would have lost a certain % of sales from gamers who don't want to buy a game without multiplayer. Having these gamers be surprised after losing $60 in the investment is unacceptable and deserving of all criticism they receive.

This isn't about Sean being a nice guy. This is about dollars and sense. And it makes very little sense, GAF, unless you see this as intentional deceit. Why else refuse to clarify that it wasn't in the game and is or is not being worked on in the last several weeks that they knew it wasn't part of the product?

cyress8

Banned

Had a flashback playing Tales of Zestiria. Whenever Sorey asked about info about other shepherds and Lailah would just go completely off track with what was going on.

DigtialT

Could be something tied with the PC release date and Sony "owning" the message until then.

Is it really though? My understanding is that Sony is in charge or marketing the game for the PS4. Is it that much of a stretch to think Sony is controlling the message.

But that doesn't make sense. Why would Sony have an NDA on info before the PC release when they aren't publishing the game on PC?

T.O.P

Banned
Man look, in the same video, after he explains finding traces of other players and the creatures they named he says: "but actually going to a planet and another player being in the same place at the same time is incredibly rare, and it's something that depending on how many people play the game it might not even happen.
It's obvious he said you'll be able to see the marks other players made, but it's also obvious that he said you'll be able to come across other players.

I don't know if you missed these bits or w/e, but you're coming across as the one with an agenda.

Ding ding!

It's not a trick question.

"What happens when two people meet?".

The game is out for some and they won't even say if it has an advertised feature because the hope was nobody would ever meet and find out.

it is actually a very difficult question. and Sean is too smart to answer it so flippantly.

what does happen when two people meet? what are they feeling?

if you can't see the person, does that mean that those two people didn't "meet"?

what does it even mean to "meet" someone? aren't we constantly "meeting" people in life even though we don't see them?

what if a person were invisible and silent. they're still there to meet, no?

what if you wanted to meet someone so badly in this game that the game rewrote itself to make it happen and maybe you're just not wishing for it hard enough. thats on you, the player. not my buddy Sean.

Shari

If it turns up you cant really connect with other people, It will make me really sad. Not because of no man sky, but with the whole industry as a whole. That you can make these kinds of statments and get away with it.

The problem is not really with the industry, they will, as in ANY other business, do whatever they can to sell more, that's the point, it's business.

The problem is with the consumers that have no standars and more so with the ones that defend this kind of behaviour only on the need of justify their 60 bucks expenditure.

Sean should have his rep trashed with this (only in the PR side of things for what's worth) and everything he says from now on should be taken with a huge grain of salt. And no one here is saying he should stop making games cause he seems quite capable at that, just don't lie or you'll pay for it.

Kieli

Lottery winner: "I think I may have the winning lottery ticket, can your organization please verify its integrity?"

Lottery Organization: "The chances of you winning a lottery ticket is very, very slim"

Lottery winner: "I know that, can you tell me if I won or not?"

Lottery Organization: "Wow, the amount of people purchasing lottery tickets is really high!"

Lottery winner: "I know, but what abou-"

Lottery Organization: "This is amazing!"

ResoRai

As Sean said, it's not a multiplayer game.

You should probably cancel your preorder because the only thing Sean confirmed for the most part was being able to see other people. You will have an small chance of finding someone else and even less of a chance to find your friend
I apologize if I didn't express it well enough, but I fully know that already.
Expecting a single player experience, the chance to find others and my friend is just exciting.

Ban Puncher

Sean is part of the pantheon now

7EV9fXU.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

Sean : It is extremely unlikely you'll ever come across another player.

Morons : I can't wait to meet up with my friends and carve our names into a mountain for the next person to see and then fly around together and make a cave our base.

Why is anybody making a big deal about the label thing? It's not removing any info on the online features. Any info in regards to that is still right where PS4 games always have things like multi-player or online requirements. The symbol that was removed was from the PEGI rating. It's not something that Sony or Hello Games would have any control over.

Zomba13

Lottery winner: "I think I may have the winning lottery ticket, can your organization please verify its integrity?"

Lottery Organization: "The chances of you winning a lottery ticket is very, very slim"

Lottery winner: "I know that, can you tell me if I won or not?"

Lottery Organization: "Wow, the amount of people purchasing lottery tickets is really high!"

Lottery winner: "I know, but what abou-"

Lottery Organization: "This is amazing!"

Also

Lottery Organization: "Wow! A winning lottery ticket was found in this store already!"

Lottery winner: "Yes, I think it's mine. Can you check it?"

Lottery Organization: "Props to the ticket machine for printing out a winning ticket so soon. It's so great!"

Pop

Dude you are cherry picking. He says right after it will be at most a little like journey or dark souls. Hell, this is cleared up right at the 4 min mark. You can not hang with your friends.

ResoRai

Morons : I can't wait to meet up with my friends and carve our names into a mountain for the next person to see and then fly around together and make a cave our base.
I wonder if you're talking about me. If so, just know that if it's possible, and it happens we'll carve a giant penis into the earth and name the planet BarringGaffner.

Bytes

Sean: It is extremely unlikely you'll ever come across another player.

Customers: Actually, two people met up on the very first day but couldn't see each other.

Sean: I can't believe two people met up on the first day! This is amazing!

Customers: Yeah, but it didn't work. Is that feature even in the game like you said it was?

Sean: 10 million creatures discovered! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

*Two Days Later*

Customers: What about that multiplayer, Sean?

Sean: ..........

Kssio_Aug

in my eyes,

rare = 4% - 6%

super rare = 1% - 3%

incredibly rare = 0% (impossible)

he said "incredibly rare". he didn't say "rare". or even "super rare".

i just don't get why people are having an issue with this.

yah. it was a joke. so is this one.

I didn't know NeoGaf was participating of Rio 2016 Olympics.

Zomba13

Two guys who did end up finding the same planet and met up at the same time: Oh Wow... umm... where are you? Why aren't you here? We did the impossible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom