• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

VARIA

Check how many times he said "conceptually"...
The game was in very early stages at those moments.
He has been clear, even two days before release.
I really feel this is getting out of hand.

We have a small team here who have created a very unique experience.
It's not perfect, but the flaws are easily outshined by the strong points.

Comparing him to Molyneux is just wrong.
Almost everything he said it would be is in the game.
The size, the exploration, the factions, the spaceships, etc...

The cooperation he's talking about is community based.
He referred to that in several interviews. Communities working together to get a grasp on the games systems and that is in fact happening since before release.

I feel a bit ashamed by these reactions.
Here we have a small devteam, who have worked their asses of the last couple of years to create a digital universe you can play around in. And some of you would nail him to the cross for a couple of media interviews given in early stages of development.

Some of you should really stop and think a moment. This is a person, a passionate person. Who has logged inhuman workhours for the last couple of weeks to get this thing ready for launch. Who just released his baby into the wild. Does he really deserve all this crap?

Again I'm a bit disgusted and ashamed.

100% in agreement with you, but this game was hated/blasted on way before release, now many of those people are just getting more vocal over the tiniest details. It's not like this game has been out for months and the the developer is ignoring a complaint. Let's just wait. It's been what? 2 days? Really now, people need to relax.

Kinyou

It's gotta fit their agenda to be accepted. That fucking video is clear evidence of what goes down but hey continue to parade around.

What kind of evidence does the video provide? I mean he talks about two players meeting. He says that this is not the focus of the game, but he does say that it's possible. And that obviously a contradiction to the two players not being able to meet each other.

nynt9

And just like Demon/Dark Souls I couldn't see or play with my son in the same house.

Even though we were in the same spot and used the item that was supposed to be used in the game. They didn't lie, they didn't deceive, they had problems with their system for almost 3 weeks. I could still play the core function of the game and gave the AAA studio the benefit of the doubt.

NOW a game on the same scale and being sold the same way is functioning the same but being thrown under the bus. Even though it was done by almost 100 less people. People are such hypocrites it's astounding here. The whole game is still there and they are having problems with the other. Pretty simple logic.
Here's an article still showing how Bandai Namco hasn't fixed the original problems that still persist trying to play with each other on the Original Dark Souls, yet this game is getting the whole witch hunt. IT's pretty hilarious how one is the king of gaming for the same problems, yet an indie team can't have problem while still trying to release their game for another platform.
The mental gymnastics in this thread show, why us as a gaming community never thrive.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...bandai-namco-working-on-fix-for-the-issue.htm

Then why don't they clearly state that? They surely know people have questions and saying something to alleviate that would be super easy.

Bytes

I doubt they have any realtime netcode due to how the upload functionality works..

I'm sure they don't actually have any real connectivity at this moment, other than name uploads (which I believed was confirmed by someone packet-sniffing their PS4) but Sean did talk about people essentially being walking "lobbies" that other players could run into.

ElfArmy177

Sean was the lead developer of Black and he worked at EA. He's no newbie.

Maybe, but I've seen doctors who have practiced for 20 years make mistakes or give information that wasnt entirely correct... "No these biopsies to me look entirely benign, you have nothing to worry about" (comes back cancerous)

People fucking make mistakes and then we all band together to make them feel terrible about themselves. Do you have any clue the adrenaline these guys probably felt before release? You can tell he loves this game and how popular it got. If you really think he genuinely misguided people to get more sales than your actually a worse person than your claiming he is. What a joke of a thought

Maybe, but I've seen doctors who have practiced for 20 years make mistakes or give information that wasnt entirely correct... "No these biopsies to me look entirely benign, you have nothing to worry about" (comes back cancerous)

People fucking make mistakes and then we all band together to make them feel terrible about themselves. Do you have any clue the adrenaline these guys probably felt before release? You can tell he loves this game and how popular it got. If you really think he genuinely misguided people to get more sales than your actually a worse person than your claiming he is. What a joke of a thought

That's cool, but at the end of the day he's selling you a product, and he lied about it.

Good for you if you're okay with that tho'.

Elandyll

Banned
Had EA done this stunt all of you guys would be up their asses. This game was always, from the start very vague about its contents, what a player could expect etc. The maker needs to get called out for the deliberately vague and maybe outright deceiving advertising of the game imo.
Except the game was never pushed as truly being multiplayer.
Dodgy around the question? Sure, even when in context he was pushed to give a yes or no answer to a question that (apparently) had a much more complex answer.

The witch hunt is unbelievable, and the comparison with Molyneux just plain BS imo.

Carrry on though. The outrageous outrage shown will surely prove you right.

Personally? I say to Sean: see, even the hint at making some sort of interaction wasn't worth it. I said that mentionning any form of more than 1 player being involved would be the rope to hang yourself.
Do the sane thing at this point: Remove everything about online from the game save the upload of discoveries, say it was something they couldn't manage to make work, apologize, and call it a day on any form of MP. It's not worth the headache and the insults frankly.

Tagyhag

There's nothing wrong with making mistakes.

Being radio silent about your mistakes or acting like you never made them in the first place, some of us here don't see why that should be accepted.

nynt9

Wow, I can't compete with this level of rationalization and delusion.

0% is incredibly rare.

Look, Sean seems like a cool humble dude. Someone I could call my "bro". And my bros don't lie to me. So I'd really appreciate it if people stopped talking about him like this.

And, honestly, if he was lying, then I forgive him. I'd love to be tricked into playing a game this great more often.

Is this some hyper aware parody post or is it genuine?

But an older interview is allowed, when we are, you know, unclear? But the newer one is not?

This thread man, lol.

Yes I want answers, but let us not spin right round baby right round.

It's gotta fit their agenda to be accepted. That fucking video is clear evidence of what goes down but hey continue to parade around.
The video is talking about a Journey like experience. Is that there? We don't know.

Day before launch: "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

Pretty much zero. But if the feature isn't there, it would be zero. So what is it?

Same day: "We do have some online features and easter eggs so people can know they are playing in the same universe. It's about cool "moments""

What are these cool moments and some online features? Unclear.

Launch day: "Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind"

Finding each other, but not seeing each other. Is this how it is supposed to work? Is it server problems? We don't know, it is not being cleared up.

I'm not spinning anything or having an agenda. I'm just amazed a developer can't answer the simple question of "can players in your game meet and see each other, even if the chances are low?" It's a yes or no answer. Can't get any easier. Signs point to no for the moment.

Variation and world size was clearly oversold when the truth is that after the first worlds you start to see paterns. In that regard he didnt lie but he overstated the size of the world, which in the end is meaningless for the player experience.
Even if that is the case (I don't believe it is), calling Murray the new Molyneux is so fucking ridiculous.

ElfArmy177

That's cool, but at the end of the day he's selling you a product, and he lied about it.

Good for you if you're okay with that tho'.

What I'm saying is maybe.. just maybe they mentioned it because they were working on it. Couldn't get it in and forgot about it... All recent videos don't say it's in it.. all recent interviews don't say it's in there... So I dunno, maybe he made a mistake? But fuck that guy right? Let's all just bury his career over this because we're all so so angry and mad.

Everyone really needs to get over it... Most people never knew about the video if it had to be posted in the Op and "found". I never knew of it and I've been super excited for the game since announcement. Never once did they show multiplayer gameplay or anything. Personally I just think all of you are complaining to complain... :/ Sorry. Dude is a game developer who suddenly made a game so popular he probably has no idea how to handle things and made decisions on the fly about things.

Maybe that day they talked about it and then they took it out and he forgot about it... Who knows.. this isn't a AAA studio, cut the guy some slack.

I agree.

And people who say he's a master at communication, wel I guess you haven't seen many interviews with him.
He's shy, incoherent, has difficulty to look the camera or interviewer in the eye. This guy has zero media-training.

If you think otherwise, good for you,
but I still stand by my comment, he delivered almost everything he ever promised, except the minute possibility to physically encounter another player. This is no basis to attack a person on like we and reddit are doing now. I hope none of you get called out like that ever, because I'm sure it's enough to break someone.

Poor Sean. Poured his heart and soul into this, just to end up getting ripped apart.

Cant help feeling sorry for the guy. Hes honestly probably trying to figure out what happened. He seemed generally excited that two people were going to meet, and it just didnt materilize.

Sean is part of the pantheon now

7EV9fXU.jpg

I think we should wait and see before putting the blame solely on him. There's a chance that he's being gagged by Sony and prevented from saying anything.

Smaller studios like Hello Games generally are much more communicative with their fans than big ones. I'd honestly be surprised if he wasn't dying to speak out right now, but is unable to for nondiscloseable reasons.

Im sure Sony is to blame too, Sean was the one doing the interviews tho.

DigtialT

What I'm saying is maybe.. just maybe they mentioned it because they were working on it. Couldn't get it in and forgot about it... All recent videos don't say it's in it.. all recent interviews don't say it's in there... So I dunno, maybe he made a mistake? But fuck that guy right? Let's all just bury his career over this because we're all so so angry and mad.

If it didn't get in, he could have made a simple tweet to explain it. But he didn't, so here we are.

Edit: "Sorry guys, we tried but we couldn't get multiplayer to work in time for release. It will be coming in a future patch." Less then 140 characters, took less then a minute to write up.

Shari

Even if that is the case (I don't believe it is), calling Murray the new Molyneux is so fucking ridiculous.

In your book. Molyneux has a bigger mouth but both have said things they knew they were not true and both have stayed quiet until the community has found about it.

If not Molydeux he's at least Shady Murray.

DataGhost

Why didn't you correct those doctors if you've seen them?

Also don't understand how this reference even works. You're telling me someone's life is comparable to a video game? How exactly does that play out?

Yes people make mistakes. AND WHEN THEY MAKE THOSE MISTAKES THEY APOLOGIZE FOR IT AND NOT BE COY WITH THE CONSUMER.

How would you like it if that VERY SAME DOCTOR YOU DIDN'T STOP THE MISDIAGNOSIS OF told the same patient later, oh yeah don't worry about that "benign cancer" and constantly avoids answering the question by talking about their other conditions. I don't see how you're equating this here, I really want to understand this.

What we're asking for is a clear cut answer about a functionality that was stated to be in game.

sirap

I agree.

And people who say he's a master at communication, wel I guess you haven't seen many interviews with him.
He's shy, incoherent, has difficulty to look the camera or interviewer in the eye. This guy has zero media-training.

but I still stand by my comment, he delivered almost everything he ever promised, except the minute possibility to physically encounter another player. This is no basis to attack a person on like we and reddit are doing now. I hope none of you get called out like that ever, because I'm sure it's enough to break someone.

Who cares. I've got my pitchfork ready. Bout time we had a lynching.

/s

this post sequence. this post sequence.....unbelievable.

Guys, sean didnt lie, he was totally honest. 0% is SUPER RARE!!! Dont you guys GET it??

My head is spinning just trying to make the leaps you are to say "a zero percent chance is rare so he was honest, i prefer that to 'no there is not multiplayer'"

in my eyes,

rare = 4% - 6%

super rare = 1% - 3%

incredibly rare = 0% (impossible)

he said "incredibly rare". he didn't say "rare". or even "super rare".

i just don't get why people are having an issue with this.

Is this some hyper aware parody post or is it genuine?

yah. it was a joke. so is this one.

In your book. Molyneux has a bigger mouth but both have said things they knew they were not true and both have stayed quiet until the community has found about it.

If not Molydeux he's at least Shady Murray.
Or he expected it (seeing other players) to be the case and something went wrong and he can't talk about it because he is under NDA with Sony.

flkraven

Patient: Doctor, do I have AIDs?

Doctor: Well, the chances of you contracting AIDs are so slim that it isn't even worth talking about.

Patient: But we ran tests, can't you just tell me if I do or don't have it?

Doctor: Wow, I'm so surprised by the amount of people running tests right now. Props to the blood test department for holding up.

Patient: ....

Doctor: People have already found thousands of different diseases. This is incredible!

I don't really care about whether or not Murray lied, I just find this to be incredibly disappointing.

Even if there's a tiny chance of me ever meeting another player, I really like the idea that it's possible. Knowing that it's not kind of ruins the feeling of a shared universe.

Shari

in my eyes,

rare = 4% - 6%

super rare = 1% - 3%

You must be the only one who failed basic statistics in high school.

Rare implies possibility. Rare != Impossible

0% = Never happens = Impossible

Hope I've cleared that out for you.

Or he expected it (seeing other players) to be the case and something went wrong and he can't talk about it because he is under NDA with Sony.

Quoting this for posterity, the denial is at a point I can't even wrap my head around it.

Event if it's NDA you can simply say that there's a problem, the fact that people refuses to see that a guy that is totally active on twitter goes radio silence after this breakdown is amazing.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I agree.

Nah the people who think Sean is a criminal mastermind who has been strategically planning his words for years are my favourite.

I'm puzzled by the ambiguity regarding the nature of online interaction. They said we could meet up with other players. We can't. It's a pretty open shut case. The only question is WHY can't we. I'm guessing by his vague damage control tweet the he backpedalled on minutes later that multiplayer is just not in the game but for some unfathomable reason they wanted us to think it was possible. Honestly, dude seems like he has good intentions but his head is in the clouds. I'm sure he's getting a dose of reality now though. Be kind, people.

I always understood that even if they are at the same exact spot, the chance of seeing other players is very very small. Otherwise this would be just like a MMO but in a huge universe. Sony the said the bandwidth this game uses is very small so you wouldn't need to pay for an online subscription. Is all of this not the case?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The sticker thing was real?! Holy shit. O_O Glad to see the OP updated, should lead to less repetition like "He never said that there would be multiplayer."

Jebusman

Banned
in my eyes,

rare = 4% - 6%

super rare = 1% - 3%

In what realm, or planar dimension, do the words "incredibly rare" = "impossible".

Like what in the fuck.

The fact that you don't say the word "impossible" MEANS that it has to be somewhere above 0. It could be something ridiculous like 0.000001%, but it still means literally somewhere above 0. Not actually 0.

Like what the fuck.

Nowhere, on this earth, are you going to find the definition of "incredibly rare" to mean 0%.

Like I'm hoping you're just trolling us, because I can't handle people not knowing the difference between 0 and literally every other number.

T.O.P

Banned
Patient: Doctor, do I have AIDs?

Doctor: Well, the chances of you contracting AIDs are so slim that it isn't even worth talking about.

Patient: But we ran tests, can't you just tell me if I do or don't have it?

Doctor: Wow, I'm so surprised by the amount of people running tests right now. Props to the blood test department for holding up.

Patient: ....

Doctor: People have already found thousands of different diseases. This is incredible!

Thread keeps on delivering

Yes, much like molyneux he promised X, didnt deliver and kept quiet until people found out in hopes sales wouldnt be affected.

Again, this is a guy that writes 5-10 tweets per day and didnt write a single one in almost 48h since this mess started.

He's hoping for an unaffected PC release and next week once refund period is gone he'll give a statement saying this is coming later on. I'd bet you money on it.

Molyneux promised X, Y and Z and then produced something entirely different. Game after game after game. And it wasn't till after fable or even fable 2 that people started to call him out on it.

If you can't see this is totally different to wat Sean did, well than ok. I guess we just see things differently.

Doesn't change the fact that neither of them deserve to be shamed like we are doing right now.
If you don't like it, vote with your wallet, don't buy the game.
Flouding the youtube, twitter, reddit and GAF with "Sean is a liar" memes is not the way.

ResoRai

I'm curious if you knew, or are you just aboard the hate train?
Never really followed the game too much until my bud kept hyping it up a couple weeks back and got me excited. Texted me a bunch of memes daily lol, and sent me a ton of videos about No Man's Sky from the youtuber DM21 Gaming.
So I've been learning actual info about the game pretty recently so I want to know if i'll be able to play with him. And as a multiplayer guy the aspect of coming across others excites me. Though, I know it's mainly a solo game.
No hate, just want an answer.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
He may not be allowed to comment on it.

It's not a trick question.

"What happens when two people meet?".

The game is out for some and they won't even say if it has an advertised feature because the hope was nobody would ever meet and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom