• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6467

Going only on IGN Gamescoop and Giant Bomb podcasts, they seem to be defending it and shooting down most criticisms/concerns. Not surprised with IGN, as they were one of the biggest promoters of the game. Giant Bomb is a little surprising though. Obviously, that might change if they were recorded early in the piece.

GB West's Friday show played the PC version for like half the show, and seemed very underwhelmed by the PC version. Jeff made the comment he was going to keep playing the PS4 version and said he didn't like the game enough to start over, but was deep enough that he would keep going, they were not horribly enthusiastic by any means. I guess East is reviewing it though, so maybe this is irrelevant.

This is a bizarre fight to pick for HelloGames. Why bother lying about the absence of a feature that wouldn't have even been much of a selling point anyways? I feel like if Sean Murray had just said early on that there was no multiplayer, this would have all blown over and resulted in a much better outcome for them.

Edit: It looks like I was wrong about MP not being a selling point, but this remains a strangely poor tactical decision for a studio that cares about its brand.

OuterLimits

Going only on IGN Gamescoop and Giant Bomb podcasts, they seem to be defending it and shooting down most criticisms/concerns. Not surprised with IGN, as they were one of the biggest promoters of the game. Giant Bomb is a little surprising though. Obviously, that might change if they were recorded early in the piece.

After seeing the way the gaming media defended Bethesda over the PS3 Skyrim version, nothing really surprises me. Only Eurogamer that I recall scored the PS3 version accurately to reflect the state of the game on that system.

This is a bizarre fight to pick for HelloGames. Why bother lying about the absence of a feature that wouldn't have even been much of a selling point anyways? I feel like if Sean Murray had just said early on that there was no multiplayer, this would have all blown over and resulted in a much better outcome for them.

If you think mp isn't much of a selling point, I don't what to tell ya, it's a damn good selling point. And when it's framed as "Yes it's there, but unlikely because the game is so big" it then becomes a challenge for some players and a fun one at that.

But I agree, if they had said from the get go that this is a single player only game, this wouldn't even be a thread. And then where would we be? This thread has delivered.

No, no, no, there IS multiplayer, it just won't be discovered until the time it takes to invent it, test it and patch it in ;)

Z3M0G

If multiplayer was intended but only bugged, they wouldn't have removed all references to online play from PSN, later packaged LE boxes, and perhaps even steam days before release.

Pretty cut and dry, really.

Edit: it's also possible they realized they royally fucked it up and needed months to fix it. With the possibility of not being able to at all.

TheFatOne

It's a pretty shitty thing to do, and was a selling point of the game for me even though the chances were slim that I would meet someone else. Should have come out and be honest about features in the game. This is a pretty big one to lie about.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe they went radio silent and let the PC version release without even clarifying what features are in the game. That is unreal.

Just like a few other features, it's mentioned, and then forgotten.

I don't think this was Sony's fault per say, but I'm sure they knew this game wasn't going to ship without a multiplayer component.

Edit: A friend is going to coax an answer from Sony by requesting a refund. They probably don't know shit, so take that all with a grain of salt, but if they are able to drop anything of use, I'll post it. Again, don't get your hopes up on that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well guys it looks like the PC version hasn't revealed anything we didn't already know. Its probably time we close the book on this one.

No Mans Sky has no multiplayer outside of shared discoveries. You cannot see other players.

Despite being told multiple times that this feature would exist, it doesn't. However MP is only 1 feature of many that appeared to be in No Mans Sky that didn't make the cut.

What we are left with is a game that only faintly resembles what we were shown in media prior to launch.

Game over man, game over.

Pretty much this. I'll still get the game eventually as I'd like to play it, but not right now. The taste has been soured a bit for me, so I'll wait until later to experience No Man's Sky, probably until some day when it does on sale on steam or something. I'm just not right with supporting developers who deceive their customers like this, and I don't like giving them my money for behavior as such. Especially not $60. I'd rather support other devs with my money instead.

Elite Dangerous is very, very similar to No Man's Sky in a lot of ways, and it handles multi just fine. Another random video of 50+ player ships meeting up in space.

Hah, I'm in that video! I'm the white and blue Asp Explorer!

It's a pretty shitty thing to do, and was a selling point of the game for me even though the chances were slim that I would meet someone else. Should have come out and be honest about features in the game. This is a pretty big one to lie about.

Yup, and it's sad to see that people are just eating it up. All we want are answers. The sad thing is that if they had given an explanation promptly many of us myself included would have gained a lot of respect from their humility. From that point on I would have defended them as hard as I have been pushing for answerers.

But now they are racking in the doe (A whole flipping lot of it from the looks of things) and I can't help but have this image of Sean in my head when I think about what they must be doing when they see and hear all of us asking for answers.

gYcJ2zM.gif

OuterLimits

Just knowing you had a super slim possibility of running into another player was exciting. Kind of made the Universe in the game feel a bit less lonely/empty as well. I still like the game but it's definitely a feature that appealed to me.

Hell, my odds of winning the lottery are minuscule but it doesn't stop me from buying some tickets on rare occasions.

Plus obviously two people were able to get on same planet and try to meet up on Day 1.

The media won't do it, and they'll leave it to GAF (or leave it alone), but they should really go through and find all the things promised that weren't delivered. I know it's the current darling of the month, but any other game would get reamed for this.

I'm pretty sure you can't even see friends on the galactic map like was originally claimed by Sean Murray. That and different zoom levels from all the way out to seeing planets per system.

DataGhost

This is complete nonsense.

If this list is true, it's not:

I don't have the game yet (pre-ordered on PC) but I've been following lots of news about it since launch on reddit, YouTube, NeoGAF, etc.

Here are the things I've noticed that were talked about before release but haven't been seen:

• Most planets will not have life (90/10 rule)
  • The idea of "more evolved lifeforms"
  • The difficulty increases as you go towards the center of the galaxy
  • The day/night cycle is "not artificial"
  • It is possible to fly past the "edge" of the galaxy
  • It is possible to fly between solar systems manually
  • Temperature of a planet is based on distance from the sun
  • The type of star will affect planet generation
  • There are ship classes that are suited to different tasks
  • Ships can have stealth
  • Within each system there is a single big event that could change the system for everyone
  • Things get "weirder" as you approach the center of the galaxy
  • Planets generally only have one type of resource, encouraging exploration
  • Atmosphere color of planets is based on elements in the atmosphere
  • Planets with rings around them
  • Planets covered entirely by water or sand

Again, I HAVE NOT played the game. If anything on this list is inaccurate let me know and I'll remove it.

- Plenty of planets, even barren ones generally even have plant life
- Have yet to see evolved lifeforms
-
Have not seen progression towards the center changing the environment,similar to outer rim
-
thus far it seems day/ night actually is

- people have tried flying towards the sun, someone did it for 6 hours RT and it started bugging the game out with no progress. Might be proof you also can't travel between systems without warp drive.

- all ships are basically the same, just some with more slots or less
- no stealth ships as far as I seen
-no "big" event has yet to be seen
- read spoiler 1 about getting closer to center of the galaxy
- planets have multiple resources, most of the basic ones so that you don't get stuck

- I have yet to see a completely desert or oceanic planet

But like I said, that's only if the list is true. I haven't followed the game 100% but others may be able to confirm that these were stated.

Also including the topic of this thread, there is no multiplayer that we have seen thus far, so we still need confirmation.

I've also haven't seen other ships simulating dogfighting, all of it basically revolves around you shooting someone else (referring to E3 2014 trailer where we see the space battle).

King_Moc

Banned

-
Have not seen progression towards the center changing the environment,similar to outer rim
-

- people have tried flying towards the sun, someone did it for 6 hours RT and it started bugging the game out with no progress. Might be proof you also can't travel between systems without warp drive.

- planets have multiple resources, most of the basic ones so that you don't get stuck

But like I said, that's only if the list is true. I haven't followed the game 100% but others may be able to confirm that these were stated.

Also including the topic of this thread, there is no multiplayer that we have seen thus far, so we still need confirmation.

I've also haven't seen other ships simulating dogfighting, all of it basically revolves around you shooting someone else (referring to E3 2014 trailer where we see the space battle).

Cool, but the game still looks pretty much exactly like what we were shown in media? A few of those things not being on are annoying, most make very little difference (and some are wrong), but mystifyingly I still seem to have the game I was expecting.

-
-

I don't know what you are talking about, haven't you heard? This game is exactly what the developers said it would be...

CpsFFGnUIAA5hN4.jpg

Edit: Some of the things on the list I don't remember hearing about. Some, like the 90/10 ratio, were turned for the better considering how absolutely boring it is to land on a planet without life.

So far, the only things I remember being straight up cut after being mentioned were what was mentioned in this topic and the multiplayer. But that's only my personal memory.

A list with sources would be nice tho.

My friend couldn't get the customer service rep to say anything about the PSN refund rate, not that it matters all that much.

If you think mp isn't much of a selling point, I don't what to tell ya, it's a damn good selling point. And when it's framed as "Yes it's there, but unlikely because the game is so big" it then becomes a challenge for some players and a fun one at that.

But I agree, if they had said from the get go that this is a single player only game, this wouldn't even be a thread. And then where would we be? This thread has delivered.

Okay, I was wrong about MP not being a selling point. But I still think it should have been obvious that trying to lie about the lack of multiplayer would result in a far worse eventual outcome for their brand than being upfront about it.

gtabmx

Neo Member
Can anyone compile all the stuff they over-promised/lied about the game?

Here you go.

I don't have the game yet (pre-ordered on PC) but I've been following lots of news about it since launch on reddit, YouTube, NeoGAF, etc.

Here are the things I've noticed that were talked about before release but haven't been seen:

• Most planets will not have life (90/10 rule)
  • The idea of "more evolved lifeforms"
  • The difficulty increases as you go towards the center of the galaxy
  • The day/night cycle is "not artificial"
  • It is possible to fly past the "edge" of the galaxy
  • It is possible to fly between solar systems manually
  • Temperature of a planet is based on distance from the sun
  • The type of star will affect planet generation
  • There are ship classes that are suited to different tasks
  • Ships can have stealth
  • Within each system there is a single big event that could change the system for everyone
  • Things get "weirder" as you approach the center of the galaxy
  • Planets generally only have one type of resource, encouraging exploration
  • Atmosphere color of planets is based on elements in the atmosphere
  • Planets with rings around them
  • Planets covered entirely by water or sand

Again, I HAVE NOT played the game. If anything on this list is inaccurate let me know and I'll remove it.

-
-

Well guys it looks like the PC version hasn't revealed anything we didn't already know. Its probably time we close the book on this one.

No Mans Sky has no multiplayer outside of shared discoveries. You cannot see other players.

Despite being told multiple times that this feature would exist, it doesn't. However MP is only 1 feature of many that appeared to be in No Mans Sky that didn't make the cut.

What we are left with is a game that only faintly resembles what we were shown in media prior to launch.

Just curious, what are these other features?

edit, nevermind, right above me

-
-

Can anyone compile all the stuff they over-promised/lied about the game?

I was apprehensive about this game but I've enjoyed the first 3 hours or so I have played. I feel like I have to disclose this kind of thing before being called a white Knight or whatever. However I read these posts and think some of you guys are being ridiculous. The game is very much the game that has been shown off this whole time (but better) and half of those things on that list of "lies" are either false or assumed lies because they haven't been discovered yet.

Also is there no room for features failing to materialize from a team of less than 10 people? I don't seem the need to crucify Sean and his team for anything.

Russ T

Banned
I was apprehensive about this game but I've enjoyed the first 3 hours or so I have played. I feel like I have to disclose this kind of thing before being called a white Knight or whatever. However I read these posts and think some of you guys are being ridiculous. The game is very much the game that has been shown off this whole time (but better) and half of those things on that list of "lies" are either false or assumed lies because they haven't been discovered yet.

Also is there no room for features failing to materialize from a team of less than 10 people? I don't seem the need to crucify Sean and his team for anything.

There's no room for FILTHY LIARS!!!!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't know what you are talking about, haven't you heard? This game is exactly what the developers said it would be...

CpsFFGnUIAA5hN4.jpg
Man one dude is putting in that work. Will reference this image ANYTIME someone tries to argue that user reviews on metacritic have some merit.

Riposte

CpsFFGnUIAA5hN4.jpg

Hello Games are what we thought they were. They're what we thought they were. We watched them on The Tonight Show. Who the hell takes out multiplayer in preorder season like it's bullshit? We watched them at E3 - everyone waited three years. Hello Games are who we thought they were! That's why we took out a preorder. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!

Hello Games are what we thought they were. They're what we thought they were. We watched them on The Tonight Show. Who the hell takes out multiplayer in preorder season like it's bullshit? We watched them at E3 - everyone waited three years. Hello Games are who we thought they were! That's why we took out a preorder. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!

thank you for this

sqwarlock

Edit: Some of the things on the list I don't remember hearing about. Some, like the 90/10 ratio, were turned for the better considering how absolutely boring it is to land on a planet without life.

So far, the only things I remember being straight up cut after being mentioned were what was mentioned in this topic and the multiplayer. But that's only my personal memory.

A list with sources would be nice tho.

My friend couldn't get the customer service rep to say anything about the PSN refund rate, not that it matters all that much.

This is just my opinion, but I would love to know that there were planets out there with no life. Every planet having creatures and outposts/settlements/etc. really shouldn't be a thing, even if it does make the game more "exciting".

yessssssssssss

edit, also RIP :(

Russ T

Banned
This is just my opinion, but I would love to know that there were planets out there with no life. Every planet having creatures and outposts/settlements/etc. really shouldn't be a thing, even if it does make the game more "exciting".

I agree but (I might be wrong) I feel like I do remember him actually saying at one point that they decided to let most planets have life after all. As in they changed their mind. Assuming I'm not making that up. Could've been something else.

Diving into older No Man's Sky threads yields plenty more things discussed that didn't end up in the game.

And of course the generation is more than just trees, caves, and ocean. Alien ecosystems, different weather and environment types that require different gear to endure, building "dungeons", etc.

I even recall reading in one preview that the dev team gathered around the journalist to ogle at his screen because he found a mineral/element none of them had seen before. This suggests even resources are procedurally generated to match their environment.

There were also some comments made about what would happen when you get to the center of the galaxy. Some speculation, some said to be based on strong hinting from Hello Games. To elaborate on how/why that was wrong would be spoilers.

There was a lot of talk about how small changes like mining into rocks would only be saved locally for one player, but "big, significant changes" being done to star systems would be recorded and saved for everyone. I think this turned out not to be true? Examples were things like destroying space stations or even wiping out all life on the planet.

Diving into older No Man's Sky threads yields plenty more things discussed that didn't end up in the game.

I like this one from that thread.

We know they will be, especially closer to the center of the galaxy/universe.

The closer you get to the center of the universe, the more the game breaks and warps its own planet- and animal-building algorithms.

You'll get more surreal and bizarre looking planet shapes, atmospheres, colours, plants and animals. The laws of physics/reality will start to break down.

I think they've only shown glimpses of this stuff so far. There's one bit in a trailer where they fly through a planet that's more a collection of islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom