• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/8790505/no-mans-sky-preview-e3

I ask Murray how other players figure in this game. He says it's not an MMO. You might see other players on the surface of planets, and you may be able to interact with them on a basic level, but there will be no combat or trading. "It's a bit like Journey," he explains.

And from 2 weeks ago:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

"No Man's Sky": Is it single-player or multiplayer game?

Ultimately, the answer is both. However, the chances of bumping into another player in this colossal universe is extremely thin. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that "No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

So you are accusing him of lying then? You don't think there is a possibility there are other circumstances at play here?

I am not saying you can definitely meet people but I am not ruling it out either. Seems a silly stance to take based on one example.

Also where does he say you can meet up with a specific person in a planned fashion?

Kalor

They did say that you could go to the same space and not end up in the same instance but we don't know if this is the case or it's bugged or not implemented. Though if they update the game for a long time as they say then I'm sure more guaranteed methods of multiplayer will be added.

GHG

Try looking behind the bookcase?

Lmao I came to post this.

The two players have different times of day despite being on the same planet at the "same time".

I don't think the feature is in though to be honest. It might have been at some point in development but not anymore.

Zemm

People called this not having multiplayer before release in the other threads, would be quite prophetic if true

Grrr
CpbfSpfW8AAmeCt.jpg:large

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's also possible is that currently it's bugged and doesn't properly put people in the lobby as he explained it before.
Or it could just be servers overloaded because day 1?

I'm not going to draw the conclusion yet it's simply not in the game. A bit too prematurely imo.

A voice of reason from the far off dimension... am I hearing things, or is it real?

My adventure presses on.

Try looking behind the bookcase?

Brilliant.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well that's lame. I thought the odds were very small, but you could TRY to meet your friend in a game and see them.

That was honestly going to be part of my goal in playing.

flkraven

So you are accusing him of lying then? You don't think there is a possibility there are other circumstances at play here?

I am not saying you can definitely meet people but I am not ruling it out either. Seems a silly stance to take based on one example.

My primary accusation is that they have been super vague about a handful of things, yet people insist that the confused people are to blame and that the NMS devs have been super clear about everything. This shows how unclear they have been. For some people, this is a big selling feature of NMS.

Yeah, they never confirmed that you could. People assumed.

They did say you can "bump into others". There's no assumption to be made there.

I don't think this here is definitive proof that you can't ever see other players because there may be more factors at play here, but Murray DID in fact say you can bump into other players.

Timeaisis

I'm not sure why anyone was expecting this to be the case. It's a crazy waste of resources to be able to do it when it's the multiplayer is a lighter asynchronus experience a la Dark Souls messaging system.

I blame the vagueness of the marketing and the devs. Should have just come out and said that "multiplayer" was isolated to seeing other people's discoveries, but instead it was led to be understood that "there's a small chance you can play with others" if the stars align. On the internet, a small chance means it's definitely going to happen, and if it doesn't people will make it happen.

androvsky

Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision.
They did go to the trouble of making it easier to run into other players in the day 1 patch, so it's possible there's other networking issues at play. There are multiplayer-focused games that launched with people not being able to find each other.

The team have also said that it's never guaranteed that you will see another player just because you are at the same spot. It's about servers and connecting among other things.
That makes sense. Kinda like Destiny or Journey. My friend and I could be standing in the exact location, but it's not guaranteed the server would connect us.

pj

Banned
But if this would have worked and everyone is sharing the exact same server, people could technically congregate in huge numbers on a single planet by just sharing their location online and navigating towards that spot. Which is exactly what he said is not possible.

I don't think they described it as being server based. It's likely P2P. If your "lobby" filled up then it would simply stop accepting more players, or send them to someone else's game.

I mean, if there's a 0.01% chance to encounter another player, then it wouldn't be worth investing in the multiplayer infrastructure to allow players to meet.

Well, seeing as the game hasn't been out 24 hours yet and two people have already gone to the same planet, the chances are a little higher don't you think.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's a damn shame, one fun thing to do is try to meet up with someone nearby and strike up a friendship. Damn shame. The messaging on this game has been 31 flavors of fucked up.

I thought they said you could it was just crazy rare.

I think it was clear from the beginning that NMS is a single player game with only a grain of online and nothing like multiplayer.

Yes, the developers had been (intentional?) airy on this aspect, but one really think developers spend time on something that happens with such a very low chance?

I think the only MP aspect if this game is that you can see the names other player choose for planets.

If I remember correctly even the planets reset after player leaves them and some really thought they implement features like a MMO?

My primary accusation is that they have been super vague about a handful of things, yet people insist that the confused people are to blame and that the NMS devs have been super clear about everything. This shows how unclear they have been. For some people, this is a big selling feature of NMS.

The things he said in those interviews seem pretty specific, not sure how he is being vague.

He says it works like Journey. Could you meet up with specific people in that? No. It was random.

I mean think back to Dark Souls and Bloodborne

The game is beong flooded so im guessing getting matched with people is a tall order right now

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
the time in the photo is clearly different

thus they are at different points in space-time and not in the same place

physics

If they are playing at the same exact real time and the time of the day in the game is different is even more proof there's no "sync". So that's not an excuse but a further confirmation.

I'm sorry but that's on them. It's never been advertised and only addressed when the question was brought up.

Why would something that has a 0.00001% chance of occurring be a big selling point to any reasonable person?

The box even just says "Single Player"

Zomba13

“We’re not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen. We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.”

https://www.vg247.com/2014/12/11/you-wont-be-playing-no-mans-sky-with-your-friends/

Seems pretty clear to me this exact situation should work

Yeah. This is honestly disappointing to me. Not "cancel my pre-order and rage about it online" disappointing, just I wanted to hear about or even maybe experience meeting another player and being unsure of if it really was another real person or not and then not really being able to interact and then the whole thing of what do they look like, what do I look like, are we human, are we even the same species?

I didn't even expect it to happen due to the size of the galaxy and how whenever "multiplayer" was mentioned they said how rare it would be to even see one other person but still, sucks that there is no meeting another player even when set up in this way.

EDIT: Actually, were both players on the same version? It could be one with the update and one without? I couldn't see mention of version number or if they had/hadn't patched or amything, so it could explain why they didn't see each other.

Liamc723

I'm not sure why anyone was expecting this to be the case. It's a crazy waste of resources to be able to do it when it's the multiplayer is a lighter asynchronus experience a la Dark Souls messaging system.

I blame the vagueness of the marketing and the devs. Should have just come out and said that "multiplayer" was isolated to seeing other people's discoveries, but instead it was led to be understood that "there's a small chance you can play with others" if the stars align. On the internet, a small chance means it's definitely going to happen, and if it doesn't people will make it happen.

You literally answered your first sentence with your second paragraph.

Hello Games are to blame for this, not the people hyping the game up.

UrbanRats

“We’re not trying to make an MMO where you can play with literally 60,000 people on screen. We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game.”

https://www.vg247.com/2014/12/11/you-wont-be-playing-no-mans-sky-with-your-friends/

Seems pretty clear to me this exact situation should work

Yeah that's pretty clear cut.

My guess is they probably planned for that to be the case, but then cut the features for technical reasons.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Since you can pause the game, if there's any multiplayer it needs to be instanced. But I guess nobody knows how to do that yet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, seeing as the game hasn't been out 24 hours yet and two people have already gone to the same planet, the chances are a little higher don't you think.

Yet it fell right into the .01% ratio. ;)

The things he said in those interviews seem pretty specific, not sure how he is being vague.

He says it works like Journey. Could you meet up with specific people in that? No. It was random.

Thank you.

Why can't people get this? It is completely random for the off chance it ever happens, lol. You can't coordinate with specific people, you just may randomly stumble on it, when the instance allows it to happen.

Yaranaika

Yeah, they never confirmed that you could. People assumed.

The likeliness of 2 players meeting are "pretty much zero" should be changed to "impossible". Unless they are on different servers, like how in Demon's Souls you couldn't see messages and summon signs from people not on your server, but the planet names and system details are synced...

Seems like Sean lied about this, if it isn't just a technical/infrastructure issue.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
And how do we know there aren't different instances?

Yeah, that was my first thought.

18 quintillion planets, and we need instances?

Instances meaning different servers, not different copies of the planet on the same server.

It's much harder to coordinate to meet up with your friend when each of you are being randomly assigned to one of many server possible servers.

Since it isnt an MMO they likely have to meet whatever conditions are neccessary for matckmaking to occur

Who knows if that will happen at all unless a bunch of people bunch up in the center of the galaxy

Lulubop

They only ever alluded to the size of the universe being the reason why it's unlikely you'd run into someone else, they never out right said no. But ok.

Timeaisis

You literally answered your first sentence with your second paragraph.

Hello Games are to blame for this, not the people hyping the game up.

Right, that's what I'm saying. I guess when they said there's a "small chance" I just read that as "we have no proper multiplayer" straight away. I always assumed that was the case, but it's clear that other people took everything Hello said as 100% unambiguous truth, when in reality they should've been way more skeptical given that this feature was never, ever ever demoed or shown or advertised and only mentioned as a passing comment.

EDIT: Basically the devs should've been way more clear with what the multiplayer was in this game. The hype bubble just blew up and everyone assumed NMS was exactly the game they envisioned in their mind when they first heard about it.

Kinyou

Well that seems pretty shitty if true. I hope Hello games responds

If that's the case it seems artificially harder to meet people. Not only is the chance to be in the same star system pretty low, but you also have to hope that some random matchmaking occurs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom