• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just posted this in the OT but it belongs here as well.

"Thinking this stream confirms nothing since the one guy just said half the time he plays he can NOT chat with friends because of his NAT settings.

Referring to the dual stream http://multitwitch.tv/psytokat/thesadcactus "

Hahaha...

Thread is a dud.

Close shop with the NAT 3 spectacle.

I am still going with it being like Journey (only wayyyy more rare a million fold)... where you cannot try and meet regardless if in the same solar system, because the system just randomly decides when it is time for someone to show up or not in a rare instance.

Mashing

They're obviously in different instances (hence the weather and/or time of day being different).

Edit: Wait, he was offline? ROFLCOPTER

I love how people jump to definitive conclusions without knowing how this even works.

Different Instances, not being online, other platform etc. there could be multiple things that could be the reason.

ps3ud0

I thought it was going to be some sort of asynch multiplayer but not sure how deep beyond seeing who discovered what

ps3ud0 8)

mike6467

That's not how it works. The seed is the same for everyone, but it's also local. The seed is not read off a server. It's on the disk and your hard drive.

I thought the idea was that the seed would generate the same universe for everyone. So even if it was local, everyone would see the same thing, biomes, etc, because the seed was the same, so the math was identical and colors and whatnot should be the same.

Glazed

I don't understand why they avoided a real multiplayer system with this game?
I mean, it just makes sense to have one.

GHG

I feel like people are going to McDonalds and complaining about the wings.

The wings at McDonald's are decent considering the price and the fact that they're from McDonald's.

You just have to go in with realistic expectations.

I love how people jump to definitive conclusion without knowing how this even works.

Nobody even knows how it works or not, either way. At this point, it's best to just wait for Sean to confirm something. People have a right to criticize the ambiguous nature of multiplayer just as much as other people have a right to simply say "fuck it" and continue playing their game singleplayer wise.

It's weird that people are directing the ire at the wrong station.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought the idea was that the seed would generate the same universe for everyone. So even if it was local, everyone would see the same thing, biomes, etc, because the seed was the same, so the math was identical and colors and whatnot should be the same.

Yes, but if someone's PS4 is turned off or they pause their game... their local time (day/night cycle) stops. ;)

The servers run off a various instances and the like. It is probably a lot like Journey, only turned down a million fold with a random generator. So there is no way to actually meet with someone else at this point in time. You have to 'get lucky'.

Nothing 'definitive' at all about this OP.

It seems one of the guy was streaming while playing offline and the other was online, thus why they were not seing each other.

v1lla21

Hahaha...

Thread is a dud.

Close shop with the NAT 3 spectacle.

I am still going with it being like Journey (only wayyyy more rare a million fold)... where you cannot try and meet regardless if in the same solar system, because the system just randomly decides when it is time for someone to show up or not in a rare instance.
This is how Sean described it. He literally said it was like journey.

The game definitely does not require PlayStation Plus it's a single player game, it says so on the game case.
Ahh okay cool. Yeah I remember reading that somewhere but it probably wasn't for this game.

GHG

I don't understand why they avoided a real multiplayer system with this game?
I mean, it just makes sense to have one.

Maybe it's not as easy as you might think it is?

Wait....McDonald's has wings?!!

Breh... I found out for the first time last week. It was 4pm and I was just going to run and get a cheeseburger since I was peckish then ended up walking out with wings as well. I was pleasantly surprised.

The game says single player on Steam with no mention of multiplayer, I dont know how people believed otherwise, did the devs said otherwise?

EDIT:

Ohh

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-10-burning-questions-answered/

This is the tragic part. On the slim chance you do actually come across another player, you might not even notice. In-game, other player ships won't be tagged with a player's name or any other indicator that lets you know they're a human pilot and not an AI.

Maybe they are not looking for each other hard enough

I seriously doubt there's any actual instancing, the servers seem to work more on the basis of keeping the player's footprints on similarly generated planets, if anything one of the players could host another player in a very rare case scenario.

I don't know what's sadder:

The people instantly jumping to conclusions that there's no running into other players based on a single pretty terrible "test"

or

The people instantly pretending Murray never said you would run into other players even though there's countless instances when he said exactly that.

Both sides need to chill until there's more info and/or testing from players. No need to jump to the extreme one way or the other.

fernoca

The Journey example could be close about how it works.

In all this years playing Journey on PS3, it wasn't until a few days ago that I played with someone else for the first time (and on PS4).

Two players found each other in the same star system. They met on a planet and a space station, stood in the exact same place but were unable to see each other.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wxydf/im_about_to_meet_another_player_seriously

http://imgur.com/a/klomu

I'm posting this because this was legitimately my biggest question about this game, and it's good to see it answered definitively.

Added this to the OP, since people assume that it's been clear as day that this is single player:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

It's a shame they couldn't see each other, that should be doable going by what Murray has said in the past, but that's as far as it goes regarding "multiplayer". Anything beyond that (meaningful, traditional MP/co-op interactions) will be a bonus.

It's funny people say Murray was so unclear on it when previous threads are filled with people complaining about a lack of MP. HG's vision for this has always been about solo experience in a shared world, that doesn't preclude you never running into another player, just that NMS isn't the game for you if that's your primary reason for playing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ng-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

Zomba13

Seems Thesadcactus keeps losing connection to the online services which might be messing with them meeting and could be because of the NAT.

GHG

One of the players seems to have trouble staying online. His game keep saying he is not online for whatever reason. Lots of user error at the moment. Hopefully they will figure this out shortly.

depths20XX

The problem is that the devs were way too vague and now things aren't really making sense.

"The universe is so huge it's like 1 in a trillion chance you'll meet someone"

This implies it's difficult to meet because the size of the universe, nothing with instances or servers. Now on first day of release you have two people who are able to find the same planet. Guess it's not that difficult, yet they still can't see each other.

Also the goal of going to the center would imply that more and more people would meet over time.

Stiler

Why are so many people defending this or blaming people for hyping it up??

Hello games clearly led people to believe that you COULD run into other REAL players and physically see them in game. It would simply be a very very rare thing and not something that happened often.

If this is true and you can't in fact run into another other players period then yes, it feels like we were lied to.

I don't see why so many people are defending this or blaming thie players for "over-hyping" it when it's what we were bloody led to believe...

Maybe the other player was a fly, or a frog, or a dust particle dependant on how destructive they have been in their playthrough? Reincarnation can be a bitch sometimes.

They said you could see their suit tho

"You effectively see their suit actually," Murray said. "So you won't know what's inside. It still won't answer for people whether you are an alien or whether you are a human or what you look like."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom