• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazooie

Banned
So everyone got a stiffy when they said "you don't need Playstation Plus to play No Mans Sky"... no shit if it's an offline game.

Liamc723

Right, that's what I'm saying. I guess when they said there's a "small chance" I just read that as "we have no proper multiplayer" straight away. I always assumed that was the case, but it's clear that other people took everything Hello said as 100% unambiguous truth, when in reality they should've been way more skeptical given that this feature was never, ever ever demoed or shown or advertised and only mentioned as a passing comment.

EDIT: Basically the devs should've been way more clear with what the multiplayer was in this game. The hype bubble just blew up and everyone assumed NMS was exactly the game they envisioned in their mind when they first heard about it.

They definitely should have been more clear about what the multiplayer is, because I would take the "small chance" quote as something that is rare, but possible.

Crackbone

Can someone explain to me why Hello Games would go as far as to mention player collision in their patch notes if the functionality wasn't ever there?

Likely a networking problem.

Hupsel

I think that if you could meet another player in game they would just say that you could. Being cryptic probably means you can´t and are in another instance of the same planet.

Hello Games need to come out and say "no we don't have anything programmed into the game that allows you to see another player model in real time". Clear it up, don't leave anything vague.

5taquitos

Just posted this in the OT but it belongs here as well.

"Thinking this stream confirms nothing since the one guy just said half the time he plays he can NOT chat with friends because of his NAT settings.

Referring to the dual stream http://multitwitch.tv/psytokat/thesadcactus "

Lol that scientific method.

This test means nothing. Not saying it's possible, because I doubt it is, but this test is meaningless with those NAT issues.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hopefully this gets a dev response to give a concrete answer and not be super vague about the details again.

georly

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/8790505/no-mans-sky-preview-e3

I ask Murray how other players figure in this game. He says it's not an MMO. You might see other players on the surface of planets, and you may be able to interact with them on a basic level, but there will be no combat or trading. "It's a bit like Journey," he explains.

And from 2 weeks ago:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

"No Man's Sky": Is it single-player or multiplayer game?

Ultimately, the answer is both. However, the chances of bumping into another player in this colossal universe is extremely thin. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that "No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

Cool thanks. Either something is up or it was a planned feature that was scrapped or maybe it's a bug that they had a hard time testing? I dunno. Hope we get some resolution on this.

There's no point. I mentioned NAT issues with Dark Souls on the first page but people don't care.

Sounds like we should wait for more people to try this before claiming anything definitive. The game *just* came out today, no? It's bound to happen again. Probably more frequently on pc.

Just posted this in the OT but it belongs here as well.

"Thinking this stream confirms nothing since the one guy just said half the time he plays he can NOT chat with friends because of his NAT settings.

Referring to the dual stream http://multitwitch.tv/psytokat/thesadcactus "

Its obvious the two are on different servers. The planets are different colors, one has asteroids and the other doesn't when traveling to said planet. I don't seem to understand the outrage. We will have to revisit this once you can confirm joining up in the same instance.

Well I have been under the impression that this game was multiplayer, and that you would see other players in the small chance you met them. I've been following the games progress and community as well and it seemed everyone had this impression.

There was even folks as of yesterday thinking you could do stuff like steal a player's ship. So yes it has been vague.

Now if this is just something like one guy is on PC and the other PS4 then I guess we'll still need to see

GHG

There's no point. I mentioned NAT issues with Dark Souls on the first page but people don't care.

People want blood.

They won't be satisfied until there is a class action suit and a refund offered for a game they never intended to buy.

Two players found each other in the same star system. They met on a planet and a space station, stood in the exact same place but were unable to see each other.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4wxydf/im_about_to_meet_another_player_seriously

http://imgur.com/a/klomu

I'm posting this because this was legitimately my biggest question about this game, and it's good to see it answered definitively.

Added this to the OP, since people assume that it's been clear as day that this is single player:

http://www.universityherald.com/art...-buy-it-on-august-9-us-release-date-video.htm

Well, they dont really have everyone on earth in the same instance, right?

Destiny is clearly a shared world but two players can stand in the exact same place and never see each other because theyre in different instances.

Could be like that.

Copenap

To be honest I was expacting this, never made sense to implement this whole netwprk stuff when it's not really utilised. Sad that they weren't straight forward with this.

"When we tell them its pretty much impossible or very unlikely we still give them a bit of hope and it makes the game more interesting and misterious so let's do, when they find out weeks after they bought the game we already got their money"

sono

Gold Member
when you land on a planet is your position on the surface chosen randomly or can pick a point on the surface when you see the planet from space and fly right to there ?

i.e show your friend and then you can both do that to meet up

nynt9

I mean, they were pretty clear about this for years now - http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ng-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

I feel that a lot of miss information has come directly from people fully stuck in hype culture amongst threads where actual info gets twisted with all the speculation

That article:

"People keep saying to us, “Yeah, but what if I knew where they were? Would I go there?” And it's like, yeah, but they are going to have to stay there for quite a while while you get over there. And then once you get over there you might land on the same planet and then you will say, “I'm on a planet the size of Earth and I am on a mountain. Where are you?” Which is, I know, a weird thing and it's a daunting thing."

"We handle the case like where other people can fly past in your game or that you can bump into other players in the game."

"If another human player flies past you, will their username pop up or will you not even know that it was another player?
At the moment it doesn't, and I would like to keep it that way.

So would you think it was just an A.I. for the most part?
Yeah. Because we don't want to focus people on it. "

This all clearly implies you should be able to see other players who are in the same spot.

Well I have been under the impression that this game was multiplayer, and that you would see other players in the small chance you met them. I've been following the games progress and community as well and it seemed everyone had this impression.

There was even folks as of yesterday thinking you could do stuff like steal a player's ship. So yes it has been vague.

It's 'vague' because it's a game of secrets and discovery.

They clearly don't want to spoil anything that could be a cool moment but they've also been clear this isn't a multiplayer experience.

That part hasn't been vague at all.

If it were possible for two players to meet, however unlikely, would it also be possible (although unlikely) for 10,000 players to meet? And if 10,000 players met would that be game breaking?

Crackbone

So you have on one hand a developer flat out lying or you have networking issues either server side or with one of the players. Which is more likely?

cyress8

Banned
Its obvious the two are on different servers. The planets are different colors, one has asteroids and the other doesn't when traveling to said planet. I don't seem to understand the outrage. We will have to revisit this once you can confirm joining up in the same instance.

That does not make sense. Everyone is on the same seed so the planets should be 1:1. Maybe the algorithm for the procedural generation of planets is fucked up.

v1lla21

Do people not understand how different servers work?
It's not an MMO. It's not one giant server in which everyone is playing.

Syder

Well this is pretty disappointing.

People can criticise others who thought that MP would be a thing but can you blame them with how vague the devs were on literally all features.

All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pre-order or get my hopes up for this one.

Seems one of the dudes was offline the whole time.

EDIT: Actually one of them has PS Plus and the other doesn't. Don't know if this is the causing the issue or not.

So you have on one hand a developer flat out lying or you have networking issues either server side or with one of the players. Which is more likely?

Issues? You could group up in The Division, enter the Darkzone and not being able to see your friends because you're in a different server, that's not an issue at all.

SHODANsuitor

Neo Member
Such a cool coincidence that two players are already at the same location. However I do not believe that this is clear evidence that players are unable to see each other.

Having two players at the same spot must share the same lobby and I have no clue how the server infrastructure would determine whether they share the same system. Also, the game has just released and the current servers could be under stress.

But in all likelihood, there should not be any expectations of multiplayer interaction aside from minor events. I find it hard to imagine that Hello Games would use their time/resources to include such a big feature considering their size and the chances of being within the same system.

pj

Banned

The "server" doesn't control the color of the planet or whether there are asteroids. The planets are the same for everyone. If the color is different, it's a different time of day, if asteroids are different, that may be something that's randomly generated locally and still has nothing to do with the server.

Well, they dont really have everyone on earth in the same instance, right?

Destiny is clearly a shared world but two players can stand in the exact same place and never see each other because theyre in different instances.

Could be like that.

Yes but instances would surely be spatially aware. I wouldn't be put in the same instance as someone half way across the galaxy. If there are only 2 players remotely close to that planet, why would they not be in the same instance?

T.A.L

So there is no way to chat, no combat with a human player in a single player focused game and people are mad? I don't get it

yeah people can seem to wrap their heads around it

prepare for several drive by posts until we get confirmation of two people meeting

might only take a few weeks when more and more players make it to the center

mike6467

It's 'vague' because it's a game of secrets and discovery.

They clearly don't want to spoil anything that could be a cool moment but they've also been clear this isn't a multiplayer experience.

That part hasn't been vague at all.

It's vague because they're taking an apparently niche game and mass marketing it at $60.

I'm super excited to get the PC version on Friday (and the PS4 version if that one doesn't turn out), but it's possible to appreciate the game while criticizing the marketing strategy.

RiverKwai

That does not make sense. Everyone is on the same seed so the planets should be 1:1. Maybe the algorithm for the procedural generation of planets is fucked up.

That's not how it works. The seed is the same for everyone, but it's also local. The seed is not read off a server. It's on the disk and your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom