• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inviusx

This thread is hilarious.

People taking Sean Murray's intentionally vague and cryptic tweets/statements as gospel on one side and people seemingly feeling offended and lied to on the other.

Here's my take on this:

- It's Sean Murray's duty to ensure the game sells as many copies as possible. Saying that multiplayer interaction is 'possible but highly unlikely' or 'the servers are borked right now, you guys are pummeling them' sell more copies than saying 'there is no multiplayer'.
- All comments from Hello Games are intentionally vage to keep the illusion of multiplayer being a thing going.
- There is no multiplayer interaction beyond sharing discoveries at the moment.
- 'Proper' multiplayer will be introduced in the future. It was probably meant to be in the game at launch but was pushed back for reasons.

Keep on GAFing, NeoGAF.

I think most people left posting here fall in the middle of your scale.

etrain911

Okay. I think based upon the evidence presented in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A&feature=youtu.be&t=45s and the lack of clarification from Sean that Sean is lying. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Maybe it is a planned feature or maybe it was at one time a feature but isn't anymore. Maybe it is a bug with the launch day servers, but the radio silence is not comforting in the least.

Doesn't Sean Murray's tweets today basically confirm that you should be able to bump into other players, but so many people are playing that the servers can't cope with achieving it right now?

6XPTLc2Kr.png

Shari

This thread is hilarious.

People taking Sean Murray's intentionally vague and cryptic tweets/statements as gospel on one side and people seemingly feeling offended and lied to on the other.

Here's my take on this:

- It's Sean Murray's duty to ensure the game sells as many copies as possible. Saying that multiplayer interaction is 'possible but highly unlikely' or 'the servers are borked right now, you guys are pummeling them' sell more copies than saying 'there is no multiplayer'.
- All comments from Hello Games are intentionally vague to keep the illusion of multiplayer being a thing going.
- There is no multiplayer interaction beyond sharing discoveries at the moment.
- 'Proper' multiplayer will be introduced in the future. It was probably meant to be in the game at launch but was pushed back for reasons.

Keep on GAFing, NeoGAF.

Yes, this is what I believe word by word and it's no surprise in the business to be honest.

This thread has 5X pages because of the denial and the defense force that Sean has for some reason, not because we took long to figure out the truth.

Shinjica

Don't forget:

It is a testament to how amazing our network coders are that Discoveries are still working at all.

Let me restate for the umpteenth time: I think Sean's messaging has sucked and needs to be more transparent. But I think people jumping to intentional malice or deception are doing so irrationally and should reevaluate.

And I wish they would. But failure to do so is not inherently malicious, which there are people in these recent pages implying they are.

People see this as malicious because is pretty easy to give an answer on this argument but still they prefer dodging it

Ted

...and I can't find any reference to the players checking to see if changes they made in their universe were reflected in another players universe.

If I were to mine a huge cock and balls out of the terrain surface, will the next player who visits the planet have a chance of accidentally landing on my artistically carved and gargantuan glans?

Or, less graphically, are the changes to the environment I specifically make, crass or otherwise, perpetual and shared?

ISee

But he has!

"Online features...Easter Eggs...cool moments...We hope to see those happening but too many of you are playing right now."

Or will you not be satisfied unless the words 'sever' and 'issues' are used?

Because 'Online Features' is too vague for most people and that's understandable.
A Leaderboard recording how much time a player needed to reach the center could be an online feature and naming stuff and taking note who discovered something first is obviously also an online feature. But being able to meet with another player (no matter how unlikely it might be) is a totally different kind of beast. People want clarification about this particular thing. Is it a shared universe where I can stumble about somebody else or is everybody playing for himself and we just exchange names, discoveries and maybe a footprint here and there.

...and I can't find any reference to the players checking to see if changes they made in their universe were reflected in the other players universe.

If I were to mine a huge cock and balls out of the terrain surface, will the next player who visits the planet have a chance of accidentally landing on my artistically carved and gargantuan glans?

Or, less graphically, are the changes to the environment I specifically make, crass or otherwise, perpetual and shared?

They have been clear on this, and said that this won't be the case.

...and I can't find any reference to the players checking to see if changes they made in their universe were reflected in the other players universe.

Major changes are saved to the server. If you blew a hole through the entire planet it would be there. Minor changes are saved on your end. I think it'd be tough to do something significant enough to be saved.

I think terrain gets reset. Apparently you can wipe out an entire species of an animal and that will be reflected though.

SomTervo

What players were wondering about most of the time is what you would actually do in the game, what constitutes the gameplay look etc.

But that's because they were being coy about it in the first place?

Straight up saying "nope, you can never see other players" at this point could potentially cost them a couple of thousand sales and influence the communities reception negatively which could influence sales further down. It's obvious why you wouldn't give that answer right now. But you should.

There's no way of knowing this. And the game will almost certainly have broken 100k right now, so while a few thousand would be a pity, I doubt it would be detrimental. I'm working on a far smaller independent game atm (The Solus Project) and obviously it would be shit to lose sales like that but in the grand scheme of things it's not awful.

I agree that they should definitely give a clear answer.

I didnt buy the game, I was expecting clarification to decide if I'd buy it or not, yet apparently after 5X pages we're still not able to tell that and the guy himself hasnt brought himself to drop a tweet to clarify this. Now dare to say we're jumping to conclusions.

The lack of clarification is irritating, but we'll know for certain within days/weeks anyway, one way or another. Be patient.

I havent said the contrary and I even find the launch trailers very informative, I'm saying that for 95% of the development time people had question about what this game was about and that is what granted all this articles. This does not happen with ANY other game, and it doesnt because every single company likes to give the maximum amount of information about their game to the user because that's how marketing goes.

If you dont understand my point then I'm sorry, this is beyond repair.

Every single game and every publisher has a different marketing approach and marketing landscape and spin. There are plenty of games that unique marketing things happened for. In NMS's case, they were very careful not to reveal much information. Perhaps they were more careful than any other developer, ever. But either it's fair enough and it's their prerogative.

takoyaki

Seems to me that they didn't get the MP working in time. Maybe it will be added later?

It's weird cause they changed the ratings backwards a few months ago:
https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4la1fe/pegi_rating_changed_12/

Until I see another person from that region posting a picture confirming it, it's probably fake and someone want to get people riled up.

My copy arrived today, it's a PEGI version as well and there no sign of it:

Not going to defend the way the game was marketed tough. I feel like they (and especially Sean) didn't make it clear enough that there wouldn't be multiplayer of some kind; I was expecting something like Journey/Souls games from his vague comments. But that won't ruin the game for me, it's just a bit disappointing.

Bedlam

But he has!

"Online features...Easter Eggs...cool moments...We hope to see those happening but too many of you are playing right now."

Or will you not be satisfied unless the words 'sever' and 'issues' are used?
No, I will be satisfied when he uses the words "players", "see", "each" and "other". As he has in past interviews.

Can you point out where he said you can play with friends? All I remember seeing him say is that you can come across other players on your travels, but the chances of that happening are miniscule.

Either way, still doesn't mean he lied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A&t=45s

So you think he went on to multiple interviews saying that you'd be able to see other players, play with friends, etc, to trick (or be vague enough so that) people think there's multiplayer in order to increase sales?
No. I am saying that, while the feature was probably cut, they are intentionally at this point not correcting outdated information, even when pressured for a direct answer, in order to not miss out on potential sales.

What do you mean? Yes, that's exactly what everyone and myself are talking about. They couldn't see each other because of issues affecting the game's online features, yes.

So where do the devs mention if and when those two players will ever be able to see eachother? Still confused. He said.."we wanted this to happen..but the first day?"' implying that something happened. Your are saying the servers weren't working and nothing happened.. where does he say their interaction did not go as intended as in they should have been able to see eachother?

And possibly come in contact with other players during the journey if you're really lucky. This was alluded to by Sean in various interviews.

Did Murray say it would be possible? Yes. Was it ever sold as one of the game's selling points? Never. There wasn't a trailer which mentioned it, was there?

Inviusx

Doesn't Sean Murray's tweets today basically confirm that you should be able to bump into other players, but so many people are playing that the servers can't cope with achieving it right now?

6XPTLc2Kr.png

Not really, no. Unless 2 players being on the same planet as and other without being able to see each other is the extent of his "player collisions" term.

We want to know if that is actually the case or not.

Aenima

Misleading article. Did Sean right this? I feel like thats in his wheelhouse.

Not misleading at all. Sean tweeted that this just blow his mind away, that 2 players actually met in the same place on the 1st day. And he told right now the servers have too much load for that to happen. Hes even surprised how the uploading discoveries system is working so well with so many ppl online.

And i can 100% confirm that the servers are busy as hell. I played alot yesterday and all the time i was going in and out of the servers. You can see your conection to the server status in the options in the discoveries sections. All my discoveries uploaded but my status sometimes was offline to the servers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

6XPTLc2Kr.png

This next post is not for you, I am just quoting your post, so don't take offence...

It legit shows that HE WAS NOT CONNECTED ONLINE, on his own screenshot yesterday during the stream. I played all night, I was maybe connected 15-20% of the time. They were playing on launch day, both not connected the majority of the time. Servers were having issues.

Such evidence. Much compelling. So definitive. Many wows.

Not saying it should not be questioned, but the vivitrol in here not looking at the technical facts, hahaha, goodness.

Klyka

Banned
Until I see another person from that region posting a picture confirming it, it's probably fake and someone want to get people riled up.

My copy arrived today, it's a PEGI version as well and there no sign of it:

Not going to defend the way the game was marketed tough. I feel like they (and especially Sean) didn't make it clear enough that there wouldn't be multiplayer of some kind; I was expecting something like Journey/Souls games from his vague comments. But that won't ruin the game for me, it's just a bit disappointing.

Uh, of course there is no sign of it since your box already has no multiplayer icon on it

JCH!

So you think he went on to multiple interviews saying that you'd be able to see other players, play with friends, etc, to trick (or be vague enough so that) people think there's multiplayer in order to increase sales?

Yes? It's not a hard concept to grasp. Maybe 'trick' is not the right word. Maybe multiplayer is definitely going to be introduced later. But yeah, for sure.

Senoculum

Why is there a million pages for this? You can see other players. The two people in the OP just weren't in the same lobby. First time I played Journey with my girlfriend we were both in the same spot, but we had to wait for the lobby to refresh (one of us perhaps had "attached" to another player passing by). It's not an instantaneous thing, it's first come, first serve and connections can drop out too. Jeez.

Jebusman

Banned

6XPTLc2Kr.png

I mean no?

It doesn't actually "confirm" anything.

That's the problem with the entire thing. He is giving vague statements without saying anything definitive. He never directly addresses the questions people are having about it.

Like this is the problem. There is no actual "confirmation" of anything.

Question: Hey Sean, why can't we see each other even though we're both on the exact same planet at the exact same location?

Answer: WOW. There are so many people playing! This is unbelieveable!

Explain to me how in that exchange the answer actually accomplishes anything.

Maddanth

Misleading article. Did Sean right this? I feel like thats in his wheelhouse.
It has been been somewhat misleading. They have pretty much marketed the game as a single player game, it says that on back of box and steam and u don't need ps plus sub for it either. Although he hasn't come straight out and said Yes/No. And more recently stating that they added some "online features", but not sure what that means , lol. He said its possible but very highly unlikely. So a simple yes/no would be appreciated for the people that want to know. For me, I couldn't care less as I intended to play as single player anyways. Would be cool coming across another player though in a universe/galaxy so big etc....

Bedlam

Did Murray say it would be possible? Yes. Was it ever sold as one of the game's selling points? Never. There wasn't a trailer which mentioned it, was there?
What does it matter? If it's not possible, then he lied. And now they are dancing around the question - which is my actual problem with this whole thing. Not the potentially cut feature. It's the intentional misinformation.

diaspora

Why is there a million pages for this? You can see other players. The two people in the OP just weren't in the same lobby. First time I played Journey with my girlfriend we were both in the same spot, but we had to wait for the lobby to refresh (one of us perhaps had "attached" to another player passing by). It's not an instantaneous thing, it's first come, first serve and connections can drop out too. Jeez.
What did you expect from low information consumers. It's not like the Journey comparison hasn't been made more than once.

Inviusx

You don't know what peoples motives are behind buying this game. The uninformed public may very well have purchased it on the assumption that it had multiplayer, especially if their only exposure to this game was watching it on Colbert.

SomTervo

I've been confident this is how it works since they mentioned any sort of "multiplayer", because that's how they described it

An even better analog might have been 'ghosts' in Dark Souls - when you see the ghosts of other players moving around but you can't interact with them.

Hopefully players will prove this in coming days, otherwise, yeesh. Debacle

takoyaki

Uh, of course there is no sign of it since your box already has no multiplayer icon on it

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's not the "big last minute cover-up" people are trying to turn this into.

Even if the pictures with the taped-over rating are real, it's probably a small number of collectors editions that got printed too early.

Ted

They have been clear on this, and said that this won't be the case.

Major changes are saved to the server. If you blew a hole through the entire planet it would be there. Minor changes are saved on your end. I think it'd be tough to do something significant enough to be saved.

I think terrain gets reset. Apparently you can wipe out an entire species of an animal and that will be reflected though.

Thanks for confirming folks. I had pretty much assumed that that was the case but nice to know for sure.

It sounds like nothing of significance is lost then if I were to play this entirely offline at some point in the future as long as I loaded the patches.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Ok, so Sean and his team really need to clarify EXACTLY what online features does NMS has, besides sharing discoveries.

Not that this has bothered me at all. I played for about 1h30m (had to work today :( ) and I loved it. Really impressed with everything (altough my first planet isn't as pretty as some I've already seen).

Really don't care about the MP aspect because I was already convinced I would never find anyone trough my entire game play time.

But the fact that 2 guys tried and failed. This can hurt HelloGames image, sure. Not giving straight answers? Even worse.

If the MP meeting part was scratched from NMS, they need to be straight forward about it and endure the backslash. At least they are being honest and communicative.

Other than that, the game delivers exactly what they promised so...no biggie imo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you're ignoring the guy who looked at what's actually being sent to the server?

Huh?

I am commenting on the whole 'you cannot see other pkayers'.

Makes it hard to see when they were not connected a good 80-90% of the time.

I am sure when it did connect, sporadically, it sent location data to the server, but the reason they did not see one anotjer, evidence epints to syncing due to barely being connected.

legacyzero

Banned

6XPTLc2Kr.png

This was basically what I was saying in the other thread, but the mosh pit of haters called me a Defense Force LOL

I'm sure it's out of context and that he hedges the pure 'yes' statement right after but... Damn!

No, actually he doubles down on it immediately after. The next question is "will you be able to grief other players" and he laughs and says "yeah, a little bit."

It's in that video people keep linking, at the very end.

Bedlam

I mean no?

It doesn't actually "confirm" anything.

That's the problem with the entire thing. He is giving vague statements without saying anything definitive. He never directly addresses the questions people are having about it.

Like this is the problem. There is no actual "confirmation" of anything.
Yes.

Moreover, if this is his definition for "meeting each other" - then we have a problem too. You can only stretch the meaning of words so far.

By that definition, I've probably met dozens of other players in The Witcher 3 because they stood at the same spot during the same time.

No, actually he doubles down on it immediately after. The next question is "will you be able to grief other players" and he laughs and says "yeah, a little bit."

It's in that video people keep linking, at the very end.
You can name your planet "Hitler"! There you go.

:p

So this thing that was supposed to happen like three times ever is now the most important thing about NMS.

Such a boring thing to be upset about.

Just give me a third person view for my spacecraft and we good, Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom