• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

Here you go

usjKRHc.jpg

tNurCaD.jpg

So they planed for it, but weren't able to achieve it because of various reasons. That's okay. Stuff happens, plans change. Them no communicating it though, that's just bad.

Kssio_Aug

I mean, the burden of proof is on the developer to prove that a feature exists. Not on the consumer to prove it doesn't.

Yup. And a simple statement such as "we guarantee you can meet another players" or "you are suppose to meet another player, we're looking into the issue" should suffice. Or, they could just say "you can't meet another player, we're planning to add it later" (if they are).

EBreda

I have no interest in defending either side of the controversy (haven't even bought the game yet, but probably will) and here's my take on it all:

- doesn't really matter if the guys on the stream were connected to servers or not. Their action spawned a demand of knowledge: can you or can you not meet other players if you both are on the same location? That's a fact.

- Hello Games have not answered that officially after the game release, fact again.

- their interviews prior to release implied (and arguably confirmed) that you, in fact, can see other players in some form, and even interact with them ("yes, you can grief them"). Fact again.

So the question is not "should the streamers have been able to meet each other", since we don't have access to their net setup, nat settings, or state of the servers on that particular time. It could be anything.

The real question is "is meeting/seeing other players a feature of the game or not?". And that is something incredibly easy to answer.

So yes, I'm pretty sure Hello Games should come forward and honestly address the issue. Can we or can we not?

But we don't know if it's misinformation yet, because there are at least two highly mitigating factors for the one test situation?

Humans love controversy.

1. Making a purchase decision entirely based on the game being multiplayer is pretty foolish. They have always said it's in there but it's not the point and it's unlikely to happen.
2. They are definitely being obtuse - but they have been obtuse about tens of the game's systems, and every single thing they hinted at, so far, has been in the game and the game is great for it. I don't see why we should jump on one terrible experiment as proof that this other feature isn't in the game at all
I wouldn't call it foolish to buy the game expecting multiplayer when they used this video to blow the hype of the roof:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

Of course that doesn't state multiplayer but c'mon, why create a teaser like that if you were never planning on having these features right away?

Nugg

I disagree with the wording in the OP

Edit: Wasn't going to put this in OP until we had confirmation from a GAFer. Apparently the European editions of the game have stickers on them covering up the online features:

The stickers don't cover a feature. It covers a PEGI classification. It's VERY VERY different.

noomi

this whole sticker thing is insane, I can't believe it.

Why not just make a fucking statement already, I mean c'mon. Quit all the cryptic and vague twitter posts and just straight up say it. Yes or No, simple as that.

charsace

buzz.gif

Then play any number of them that aren't this one? If you all are so hyped and clamoring for the experience, it's so commonplace that you can stand one game having it function differently?

Holy christ this is a carnival of stupid candidate.

I have the game on Steam pre-ordered and one of the selling points is playing with other people. The devs have made it sound like it is possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OP explained in an earlier post that he made the thread on his mobile on his way from work and would update it when he got a chance, he has since updated and nothing he said was in anyway misleading. The same cannot be said for Sean who has made Molyneux level tweets in the last 24 hrs

Oh really, I see nothing of the sort where when he first posted this, that the online connectivity has been sporadic and not working the majority of the time.

That is a caveat all are ignoring.

Bytes

Welp, that confirms what I suspected - Sean's "clarification" that this is a single player game mere hours before release combined with the sticker debacle is pretty much proof that multiplayer was cut at the last minute and they are being dishonest about it.

I bet they suspected they could get it patched in quietly before anyone actually found each other.

OuterLimits

I'm guessing the starter galaxy isn't that big. Well, not 18 quintillion big anyway. Granted, even if the galaxy is Milky Way size that would be at least 300 billion stars and likely over a trillion planets. Still pretty damn unlikely for 2 people to find each other on Day 1

Hell, I'm already finding creatures in my game that look exactly like those on shown on early streams. Still a decent game, but it feels like all I do is fire my gun for minerals and get pissed off my inventory isn't big enough.

Shari

At this point I believe that they didnt clarify anything plain and simple because Steam accepts refunds.

Tho a friday release might be already too late for them even if they continue with the no-communication strategy.

I have the game on Steam pre-ordered and one of the selling points is playing with other people. The devs have made it sound like it is possible.
Maybe you should return your copy and vicariously crucify them, using your money instead to play any of the other myriad always-online space sims.

Using this logic, people would be returning their Dark Souls games during launches when networking is notoriously awful. But they wouldn't, would they? Because they actually want to play the game instead of bitch about it on the internet.

eot

Banned
I sure will. However, none of this is 'definitive' as the OP would lead everyone to believe. Especially with all the missing evidence being lost in the shouting in here.

If the game had multiplayer they wouldn't let half the internet convince themselves that it doesn't, they would be out there right now getting in front of this mess.

Oh really, I see nothing of the sort where when he first posted this, that the online connectivity has been sporadic and not working the majority of the time.

Sean officially announced that they were having server problems roughly 7-8 hours ago OP made the thread at 430-5pm EST. Until Sean said they were having server problem, people were speculating but everybody was experiencing different levels of connectivity.

nynt9

Maybe you should return your copy and vicariously crucify them, using your money instead to play any of the other myriad always-online space sims.

Using this logic, people would be returning their Dark Souls games during launches when networking is notoriously awful. But they wouldn't, would they? Because they actually want to play the game instead of bitch about it on the internet.

If you're not interested in discussion you shouldn't post here. The developers have been vague and misleading and it's people's right to know about the products they spend money on.

charsace

Dark Souls was clear on there being multiplayer. This game they have been vague. At this point though they are coming off as deceitful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sean officially announced that they were having server problems roughly 7-8 hours ago OP made the thread at 430-5pm EST. Until Sean said they were having server problem, people were speculating but everybody was experiencing different levels of connectivity.

Sean was tweeting all day yesterday they were in a tongue in cheek way.

He was in the 'review impressions' thread with people who had the game, and on Reddit, saying the same thing.

Now if he had the game himself, he would know this.

Baleoce

I had a couple of friends ask me today whether it's possible to play or at least meet up with others, as it wasn't clear to them. When I confirmed that it's not, they didn't seem as fussed about the game.

Justified

But Based on Demon's Souls we knew how Dark Souls online component worked.

Unless you can find interviews/tweets with From, and Namco flip flopping the message of the feature

Jebusman

Banned

No one is ignoring it.

But they are telling you that as of right now, at the current time, that it's no longer relevant.

You can be salty all you want about how the thread was opened, but as of where we are right now, they did in fact fix their NAT settings, they did in fact both get PS+, spent hours and hours trying to see each other and at no point were able to.

You have people sniffing packets and pointing out that nothing even remotely resembling positioning data is being sent.

You have the European LE that shipped with a sticker covering up the initial "Online" classification (although in that case Online can mean anything).

You have Sean from Hello Games refusing to just state one way or another whether the feature, which given previous interviews was planned for inclusion, still exists or was scrapped due to A. budget B. time C. difficulty D. whatever who cares.

Even if only a small fraction of the buyers of the game were getting it because of this feature, that's still a part of your audience you misled. No amount of "You're playing the game wrong" or "Why would you expect that" is going to fix it.

I'm guessing the starter galaxy isn't that big. Well, not 18 quintillion big anyway. Granted, even if the galaxy is Milky Way size that would be at least 300 billion stars and likely over a trillion planets. Still pretty damn unlikely for 2 people to find each other on Day 1

Hell, I'm already finding creatures in my game that look exactly like those on shown on early streams. Still a decent game, but it feels like all I do is fire my gun for minerals and get pissed off my inventory isn't big enough.

Yeah but even if it's a trillion planets, players wouldn't be able to spawn on any of them. Some would be very close to the center of the galaxy, your primary goal. I suspect everyone spawns the same radius distance from the center, essentially the surface area of a sphere, which could only be a couple million planets, and when you have a million players...

vkris

Banned
I thought it was already confirmed that there were server issues when those 2 dudes met up? Also, what's up with the sticker? NMS devs/studio don't apply the sticker to the game box themselves.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Here you go

usjKRHc.jpg

tNurCaD.jpg
Their twitter:
tumblr_npzz2k7cZA1u2aztro1_400.gif

Dataminers on Friday will tear the digital sticker off it. Once and for all!

Every single person that defended this throughout this thread needs to come and answer for their sins before gods and men

You mean defending the possibility that there might be server issues causing them to be unable to see each other?

Nobody is going to defend their lies if it truly is removed.

Sean was tweeting all day yesterday they were in a tongue in cheek way.

He was in the 'review impressions' thread with people who had the game, and on Reddit, saying the same thing.

Now if he had the game himself, he would know this.

So owning a game is a prerequisite with regards to starting a thread that has anything to do with said game? That doesn't sound right...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dude this is actually very interesting to see, I would say this confirms that sticker seen on reddit earlier to be real, considering your copy of the game does not have a sticker but the box is identical to the stickered version.

At some point during box printing they said "shit we don't really have online multi, we need to take that icon off the box," so they did...but some portion of the boxes needed a sticker to reflect the change.

The Reddit one is the LE hardcover sleeve, right? While this one is just the regular game sleeve. The latter is probably faster and cheaper to reprint.

EDIT: Yep.

Irminsul

Welp, that confirms what I suspected - Sean's "clarification" that this is a single player game mere hours before release combined with the sticker debacle is pretty much proof that multiplayer was cut at the last minute and they are being dishonest about it.

I bet they suspected they could get it patched in quietly before anyone actually found each other.
Pretty much my take on it too.

I just don't get why they're not upfront about it. They wouldn't be the first ones to have major features patched in.

Except, of course, they don't plan on doing so ever.

charsace

I had a couple of friends ask me today whether it's possible to play or at least meet up with others, as it wasn't clear to them. When I confirmed that it's not, they didn't seem as fussed about the game.

I'm not surprised because these types of games usually have multi and the devs have implied it would be in.

I don't understand why people are getting mad at folks who want to know whether or not multi is in.

ISee

It's possible (likely?) that the PEGI classification was reduced due to the removal of MP.

Minecraft is also Peggi 7:

minecraft1us12.png

-Online Game
-The game could frighten children
-Non realistic violence towards fantasy characters

nmspeggiczsdz.png

-Non realistic violence towards fantasy characters

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So Sean is a liar. It's a pretty poor show and frankly quite disappointing. I think they realized the servers simply couldn't handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom