• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Scar No One Else Can See - Max Landis on Carly Rae Jepsen

gforguava

This topic is fascinating in all the ways it goes from Star Wars to music theory, but I hoped it would have more on the content of the essay itself since I didn't like the writing style.
I've only skimmed it(doubt I'll ever get to reading the whole thing proper) but my biggest problem is that he is trying to ascribe a narrative to her work as if it were a story. He writes:
"Many of the songs contained combinations of these tones and themes, some of them encapsulating all seven. The multiple combinations and recombinations seemed to imply crossover of a single narrative; multiple songs about different parts of the same story; the emotions expressed, the scenarios described, did they add up to something?"
Which, sure, I guess that could be an interesting thought to explore but he presents it in the worst way possible. Like it could be an interesting conversation to have with a group of friends but as a long-winded Max Landis text dump it is pretty unbearable.

How does a Max Landis thread not have the icanticanticant gif? Fine, I'll do it myself.

5wghxJj.gif

Max Landis truly is the personification of everything wrong with millenials.

This SO MUCH THIS.

Max personifies my millennial cousin 100% only Max has money and an outlet to get his stuff out.

it makes me laugh actually.

I mean he is right about the themes and stuff. Its kind of a trip honestly.

I'm not a musician, I have no interest in reading or writing music. If this is what being a musician would do to my ability to listen to and enjoy music, I'm good. I'm happy to be ignorant, objectively wrong, whatever. I'll be over here dancing. ��
Who said anything about how it affects what you like? I've said several times there's nothing wrong with liking it but for some reason everyone's terrified anyway. If it makes you feel better, I didn't make any mention of what's on my playlists (despite the extremely rude assumptions made about it), but as long as everyone's taking this SO personally, some of what I listen to is quite schlocky, and do you think I don't dance to it? I can enjoy a fine steak, and some days I want the cheap, grease-soaked burger. Understanding is a way to appreciate the difference, though, so I wouldn't describe your ignorance as bliss. You can't be willfully self-limiting in your knowledge and have a transcendent appreciation for something at the same time.

You like something. You don't know why. You're terrified that if you learn more, you will find out something bad and you will stop liking it. Your fear is unjustified, as long as you don't tie your self-esteem to how others perceive your tastes, in which case the real problem here isn't music, it's insecurity.
That's great and all. But guess what, most people would describe your kind of complex music as boring. Orchestras have to play the same old classics over and over to get revenue.
I could pretty much repeat my last paragraph verbatim in response to this, but let's back up a bit -- who mentioned orchestras or classics? Sure I listen to that stuff as well, but I listen to a lot of things. My preferences aren't relevant to my argument at all; that's just a small-minded attack on your part. Her stuff is bland. But it's also enjoyed by millions, so what's wrong with bland? You don't need to shit on classical music, or anything else for that matter, to enjoy something UNLESS you're so extremely insecure of your own ignorance that you need to judge other things to feel secure about what you like.

Funny thing is I listen to pop music too. I'm just not delusional or willfully ignorant about what it is or how it's made, or emotionally dependent on rejecting such reality.

Who said anything about how it affects what you like? I've said several times there's nothing wrong with liking it but for some reason everyone's terrified anyway. If it makes you feel better, I didn't make any mention of what's on my playlists (despite the extremely rude assumptions made about it), but as long as everyone's taking this SO personally, some of what I listen to is quite schlocky, and do you think I don't dance to it? I can enjoy a fine steak, and some days I want the cheap, grease-soaked burger. Understanding is a way to appreciate the difference, though, so I wouldn't describe your ignorance as bliss. You can't be willfully self-limiting in your knowledge and have a transcendent appreciation for something at the same time.

You like something. You don't know why. You're terrified that if you learn more, you will find out something bad and you will stop liking it. Your fear is unjustified, as long as you don't tie your self-esteem to how others perceive your tastes, in which case the real problem here isn't music, it's insecurity.

Honestly, I'm not calling you an asshole, but you are kind of coming off as one. I have no doubt that isn't your intention but I know for a fact came off as a dismissive asshole in my response quoted above - I apologise.

No interest whatsoever in arguing the toss. What you're saying is interesting but when you call something objectively bland it is indirectly insulting to the tastes of those who enjoy it, no matter which factors are being taken into account, context, construction, whatever. My measure of "bland" is different to yours, so it's an impasse.

This is incorrect.

The term is inherently sexist, and has always been used as such.

Maybe Landis himself didn't know that when he pushed all in on it, but I'm pretty sure he got a crash course education in the meantime and it didn't really cause him to reflect at all.

Your having met him at a party doesn't override that.

Anyway, yeah, the fact one of his hot-take crusades that got doubled & tripled down on was using (and perpetuating) an inherently sexist criticism, combined with that Jezebel bag of receipts is usually why people think of him poorly when it comes to women.

So even if you still disagree with people's holding that opinion, you at least have the broad strokes on how they arrived there, so that it's no longer a befuddling, out-of-nowhere type deal.

You are conflating the word "inherently" with "functionally". It is, in theory, a neutral term used in a functionally sexist way by assholes. Whereas something like "cuck" is inherently racist, in that racism was a part of its coinage from the beginning.

Well damn.

I mean, I still like Futura but I hadn't looked at it that way.

Thank you.

This is a landmark moment.

This is the closest Bobby Roberts has come to admitting he might be wrong.

Bipolar disorder generally doesn't give one the energy or motivation to write 150 pages about Rae Jepsen. Where as cocaine or a gaf account can get someone to write so much nonsense effortlessly.

Actually, it kind of does. That's where the "Manic" part of "Manic Depression" comes from.

SamVimes

' “Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate.”

This Latin phrase from Dante’s Inferno translates to:

“Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here.” '

Latin?

Landis is awesome :D
Yes, awesome...

the one thing that’s changed is certain chicks, which only started happening very recently, when they find out i’m a director, will open up a lot quicker.

you mean their legs?

everything – their legs, their personality. they’ll start crying to you in an instant.

my experience of chicks throwing themselves at you like that – they’re always fucking crazy. no chick worth hooking up with is going to throw it at you because it means they’re crazy.

women who are throwing it that easy – they’re not doing it because they think i’m cute, they’re doing it because they need some kind of validation...the only thing you could get from fucking me is getting to fuck me, and if so, lucky you. i guarantee that’s not what any of these chicks who just throw it at me really want. granted they’ll have a wonderful time, but it’s weird.

we were in such a sort of unfair, fucked up relationship – not the kind where there’s a lot of yelling and screaming – the actual relationship was very nice and loving, but i was so fickle about her body. i’m not shy, i would just blurt out shit all the time. she ended up completely changing how she dressed and how she looked for me. also gave a crippling social anxiety, self-loathing, body dismorphia, eating disorder to. that chick will never talk to me again.

I can’t date chicks who haven’t figured out their orgasms. I’ve met a lot of chicks who don’t or can’t cum during sex but still go on and on about how much they love sex and it throws me a little because I’m like, do you though?​

MartyStu

Yeah, and The Last Jedi is set to be about Rey training to become an expert at the force herself.

My point isn't that Luke is shit and his force abilities are 100% unearned. But he does gain proficiency rather easily, with minimal instructions and minimal training time, even as an absolute noob who hasn't learned which end of the lightsaber to hold.

The problem is that when Luke does it, he's just being the protagonist and no one minds it, but when Rey does it, she's being a Sue, which is what makes it a sexist trope, which is the original point being made. It applies a double standard between genders.

I think it does your argument a bit of a disservice to compare Rey too much to Luke.

All we need to do is swap Rey with a male character, and have him do all those things.

100% guarantee he gets nowhere near as much shit for his competence. Even if he should, because the force is lazy bullshit writing shorthand.

A full-on critique/analysis of her music could be interesting, but Landis is A) giving us a completely standard and not at all remotely compelling or unique read of the music; and B) delivering his entirely uninteresting and self-admittedly uneducated take in a way that is insufferable and extremely obnoxious.

The background images of him in some sort of padded cell, howling with "madness".

The text that frames his conversation:

CONTINUE IF YOU DARE

THE DARKNESS BEGINS

ARE YOU INSANE YET

TAKE A DEEP BREATH

The constant insistence that this remarkable analysis will be just TOO MUCH for you, dear and virginal reader, to handle.

lol, come on with this shit.

Then there's stuff like this:

"Pop songs aren't deep. That's one of those aphorisms that's thrown around again and again and again; people disdain pop, they disregard it, and why shouldn't they?"

What? Like Landis says, he isn't a music critic and has no idea what the discourse is here. Tons of people have been deep-diving on pop music for years, from the academy to music magazines/sites to fan blogs. This is nothing new.

In the end, Landis really has nothing to say about her music. It's all about obsession and misery? Oh, holy shit, what a revelation. "Seven" themes is such an arbitrary number. You could apply this basic concept to a million pop and rock groups. Calling this on the level of Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon is ludicrous. It's like Landis just discovered that most artists have a set of obsessive themes that they like to return to over and over again. Nobody show this dude any Hitchcock films...see how many of them feature a blonde woman in distress? Whoa, maybe Hitchcock really liked to harp on that image! Mind blown.

"You just need to take the time.

Like I have.

No, I cannot look myself in the eyes in the mirror anymore. Sometimes when I wake up my hands shake. Occasionally I accidentally say ”Carly Rae Jepsen" when asked my own name, or my mother's name, or what I do for a living, or where I'm from.

Yet I feel this was worth it, somehow."

This is a parody, right? No one could really think that this pedestrian sub-undergrad thesis is some wild, enlightenment shit?

thank-you-for-your-input.gif

It's like he read some Chuck Klosterman and doesn't know that it's popular. Then he thinks a 3rd rate Klosterman type take will blow everyone away. The sad thing is, some people are blown away.

I think it does your argument a bit of a disservice to compare Rey too much to Luke.

All we need to do is swap Rey with a male character, and have him do all those things.

100% guarantee he gets nowhere near as much shit for his competence. Even if he should, because the force is lazy bullshit writing shorthand.

I can't speak for others, but I personally would 100% give a male Rey as much shit I give female Rey. I do it all the time.

A full-on critique/analysis of her music could be interesting, but Landis is A) giving us a completely standard and not at all remotely compelling or unique read of the music; and B) delivering his entirely uninteresting and self-admittedly uneducated take in a way that is insufferable and extremely obnoxious.

The background images of him in some sort of padded cell, howling with "madness".

CONTINUE IF YOU DARE

THE DARKNESS BEGINS

ARE YOU INSANE YET

TAKE A DEEP BREATH

The constant insistence that this remarkable analysis will be just TOO MUCH for you, dear and virginal reader, to handle.

"Pop songs aren’t deep. That’s one of those aphorisms that’s thrown around again and again and again; people disdain pop, they disregard it, and why shouldn’t they?"

What? Like Landis says, he isn't a music critic and has no idea what the discourse is here. Tons of people have been deep-diving on pop music for years, from the academy to music magazines/sites to fan blogs. This is nothing new.

In the end, Landis really has nothing to say about her music. It's all about obsession and misery? Oh, holy shit, what a revelation. "Seven" themes is such an arbitrary number. You could apply this basic concept to a million pop and rock groups. Calling this on the level of Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon is ludicrous. It's like Landis just discovered that most artists have a set of obsessive themes that they like to return to over and over again. Nobody show this dude any Hitchcock films...see how many of them feature a blonde woman in distress? Whoa, maybe Hitchcock really liked to harp on that image! Mind blown.

Like I have.

No, I cannot look myself in the eyes in the mirror anymore. Sometimes when I wake up my hands shake. Occasionally I accidentally say “Carly Rae Jepsen” when asked my own name, or my mother’s name, or what I do for a living, or where I’m from.

This is a parody, right? No one could really think that this pedestrian sub-undergrad thesis is some wild, enlightenment shit?

Haha, pretty much.

JABEE

What does Max Landis actually do in his daily life and why does he have the time to write a 150-page thesis on Carly Rae Jepson?

Also, more importantly: Why does he think anyone will care?

His father is legendary director, John Landis, who made Blue Brothers, Animal House, and other legendary films including the music video for Thriller.

Max Landis is a screenplay writer.

Jezan

As of 2017, the Queen of Pop of this decade at the moment could belong to a few artists:

1. Taylor Swift
2. Rihanna
3. Katy Perry

*This is not on the basis of quality, only popularity (in terms of hits), and is also not in any particular order. There could be a few I am forgetting. If someone were to argue on the basis of popularity and quality work, be my guest.
Rihanna is the queen.

Katy should stop trying to become a meme and go back to the bubble pop. She should go back to the kpop aesthetics too, her 80s (?) style sucks and doesn't fit her, she keeps making the same stupid face in all her vids to try an become a meme and get many hits, it's not working Katy.

Carly is awesome tho.

https://www.google.com/amp/jezebel....ght-be-hollywoods-biggest-fuck-1440597536/amp

Again, I think these are the sexist comments people are referencing.
Not even one sexist comment in that entire article. There absolutely are groupies in LA. I've shot videos out there and just got flat out propositioned simply because I was the head of the project. It's weird, it's toxic, it's true that it happens, and Max being grossed out by it has nothing to do with sexism. I was grossed out by it too. It was too weird and sad to even be sexy. Especially because I already know I am not attractive enough to get that kind of attention. I'm sure it's not the groupies' fault -- they wouldn't be trying to use that currency if it didn't have value -- but that shit really goes on. It's not a comment on all women to talk about it -- it's a comment on a very sick side to showbiz desperation.

Comparing Luke to Rey seems so disingenuous when you compare their feats.

Rey humiliated Kylo, a life long Force adept that studied under Luke Skywalker, literally on her first try.

There's no comparing that to the son of literal Force Jesus being able to block some shots in a safe environment under the tutelage of Obi and concentrate to make a shot he confidently claims he's made many times before back home.
oh goddddd noooooo

Dicktatorship

CONTINUE IF YOU DARE

THE DARKNESS BEGINS

ARE YOU INSANE YET

TAKE A DEEP BREATH

"Pop songs aren’t deep. That’s one of those aphorisms that’s thrown around again and again and again; people disdain pop, they disregard it, and why shouldn’t they?"

Like I have.

No, I cannot look myself in the eyes in the mirror anymore. Sometimes when I wake up my hands shake. Occasionally I accidentally say “Carly Rae Jepsen” when asked my own name, or my mother’s name, or what I do for a living, or where I’m from.

I'm more bothered by people saying he "deconstructed" her songs. Examining them and making remarks isn't deconstruction ffs. People have been doing that shit since before Derida, and especially before anime fans started the trend of people misusing the word.

There's a lot of superficiality, there's a lot of being a jerk to women he dates, but there is not any sexism. (shrug) The people on twitter who think it was witty to say "I CAN'T WAIT TO FUCK MAX LANDIS HAHAHA YEAH RIGHT" have no idea what is going on in that industry. He just described it in plain language. It's an awful thing; desperation is humiliating and it is driving young actresses to engage crazy, self-destructive behavior. Until you've seen it first hand it just sounds like broad brush painting but it actually goes on and he's right to keep his distance from women trying to do that. Believe me, I wish it wasn't like that, but it is.

That all aside: This is a poor post even by your standards, Bobby. You could at least quote the part you think I might be going too easy on.

Veelk

Banned
There's a lot of superficiality, there's a lot of being a jerk to women he dates, but there is not any sexism. (shrug)

He's being demeaning towards women in particular and how pathetic they are and bragging about how he can fuck with their self esteem and otherwise mentally damage them.

Trying to frame it as unisex shitty behavior doesn't really work when this entire thing is about how he regards women specifically.

It really just sounds like you're the kind of person who doesn't know how sexism actually works, so it's not sexism if they're not literally screaming the words "I hate women". Which isn't even far off from what Max is basically saying here anyway.

(shrug)

He's being demeaning towards women in particular and how pathetic they are and bragging about how he can fuck with their self esteem and otherwise mentally damage them.
I don't think he's bragging, or at all proud of himself in that situation. I think he finds it quite sad and a comment on the situation that results when someone who has no power is using "romantic involvement" to get something out of him. If you take someone up on it - which he is saying he now knows better than to do - then what dynamic does that create? An egalitarian relationship between equals based on mutual respect? Was that even the proposition the woman was offering him, or was she offering to be his plaything?

He's being demeaning towards women in particular and how Trying to frame it as unisex shitty behavior doesn't really work when this entire thing is about how he regards women specifically.
Why not? This is a declarative statement with no actual argument inside of it, which is pretty much the net result you get when you note the genders of the actors in the situation. It's a non-analysis.

Not that I really am talking about "unisex behavior" -- the behavior of women in this situation is fine to talk about on its own. If you were confronted with people offering you sexual favors for professional advantages, they would probably conform to the gender you were attracted to, but in Max's case that is women, and in Hollywood's case in general, because women are underrepresented in positions of power, and for other horrible reasons that I'm sure we all know regarding beauty standards, it's going to frequently be women.

It really just sounds like you're the kind of person who doesn't know how sexism actually works, so it's not sexism if they're not literally screaming the words "I hate women". Which isn't even far off from what Max is basically saying here anyway.

(shrug)
I'll take whatever criticism you have, if you really think you have some kind of teachable moment here to share with me. That's fine, I'm always trying to learn. I would just caution against reading this through the lens of Jezebel snark and actually consider what kind of situation you would find yourself in if somebody propositioned you in the way Max is talking about, and then you made the mistake he made of accepting. It would lead to terrible things for that person's self esteem, it sets up an incredibly entitled dynamic between you and that person, and at the end of the experience you would see the worst in both yourself and them come out. And if you actually think Max thinks he's describing a good/desirable situation or congratulating himself in that interview, I dunno what to tell you. Agree to disagree I guess.

juicyb

I honestly had no idea she was still making music. After Call me Maybe and Good Time I have heard next to nothing about her. Which is a shame because I liked those two songs quite a bit.

Veelk

Banned

Dude, you're basis for defending Max Landis on not being a sexist is that you find the sexist thing he did relatable and something he apparently you interpret as him regretting, which I have no idea where your getting that from. If you have actual proof that he's talking about this terms of things he feels he did wrongly, feel free to share it. And even if he regrets it, I would rather hear what he's done to amend things. Saying "I did a shitty thing" does not exonerate you from having done that.

And I'm not sure what you're hypothetical situation of "Well, what would YOU do if you exploited women while thinking how pathetic and worthless they are?" is going for. If I did the things he did, yeah, I'd be a sexist douchebag. Whats the argument here, that if I did it, I wouldn't consider myself sexist, therefore Max Landis isn't either? That's utterly asinine.

I honestly had no idea she was still making music. After Call me Maybe and Good Time I have heard next to nothing about her. Which is a shame because I liked those two songs quite a bit.

I, too, didn't realize she was still around.

Low and behold she dropped a video for "the jam of summer" aka Cut to the Feeling today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97_jDomyqc

It's actually pretty good.

I think I'll go back and check out the Emotion and Emotion Side B albums now.

Dude, you're basis for defending Max Landis on not being a sexist is that you find the sexist thing he did relatable and something he apparently you interpret as him regretting, which I have no idea where your getting that from.
"Sexist thing" - unsubstantiated.
"No idea where you're getting that from" -- what part of "it was a mistake to get involved" is confusing you in the interview text? Search "phone number" and read how he regrets sharing his with this type of person.

And even if he regrets it, I would rather hear what he's done to amend things. Saying "I did a shitty thing" does not exonerate you from having done that.
Your mind is attempting to collapse the situation into, "this horrible thing Max did to a person must be accounted for, by him - his regret means nothing." You want it to be a black and white issue, but it isn't one. He is guilty of accepting the relationship being offered to him on the groupie's terms. He is guilty of letting a woman exist as an entity in his life that has no leverage over him other than sexual. But casual sex is a thing, groupies are a thing, and people use each other all the time. Coming out the other end of the experience and saying "that isn't for me" doesn't mean he hates women.

I don't know about "relatable," but yes, I have seen how groupies try to mould themselves into the image you want. It's their idea to initiate that relationship, it's their idea to continue trying to be someone's fantasy, it's their idea to try to extract quid pro quo out of the situation, it's their erratic behavior that makes getting involved with them toxic. I have personally fucking seen this happen.

At a certain point, you have to treat that person as an adult and decide how you are going to react to them making those choices and trying to involve you.

We still haven't reached anything that even remotely resembles a conversation about women in general, so again you're going to have to substantiate the "sexist thing" you're so sure that happened.

And I'm not sure what you're hypothetical situation of "Well, what would YOU do if you exploited women while thinking how pathetic and worthless they are?" is going for. If I did the things he did, yeah, I'd be a sexist douchebag. Whats the argument here, that if I did it, I wouldn't consider myself sexist, therefore Max Landis isn't either? That's utterly asinine.
What's asinine is a person who has no idea what they're talking about, who hasn't bothered to substantiate their core claim of sexism, who writes bad-faith summaries of other people's statements, who is basing their opinion on a fucking Jezebel article, trying to break it down for someone who has seen this all first-hand. Also asinine is pretending that having a negative response to groupies is a criticism of all women everywhere. I can't imagine what's motivating you to do any of these things; I'm sure you think it's serving a righteous cause. But hopefully in the back of your mind you have a small tingling sensation telling you that you're kind of talking a lot of shit.

And yes, it could happen to you. Go to LA, rent some studio time, and film a legit project with some money behind it. Send out an open casting call. It won't necessarily happen like you think -- but it will be flattering. It could be extra attention from someone who shoots you side glances and finds you delightful. You could think, "I guess they think I'm really cool for being so creative." And then might come a bold suggestion that you get to know each other a little better. And then it will snowball from there. I am telling you this happens for real. And there is no such thing as a feminist argument against a relationship with a woman who has both agency and ulterior motives. After all is said and done there is really only the sad commentary on how their desperation is driving them to extreme behavior, and putting you in a situation where the power dynamics are so fucked up and in your favor that you find yourself having a terrible impact on someone's life and having to keep your distance from people trying to start this kind of shit with you -- precisely the things Max was talking about, however frankly/flippantly.

Veelk

Banned

Okay, so, like I said, you're just one of those guys who really, really doesn't understand how sexism works. Through several comments, to the point where it's scary. The basis of your arguments seem to be "This is a thing that happens, and it could happen to you too. Therefore, not sexist!" There's a lot of specific comments I want to address, but it would take more than I'm willing to give, so I'm just going for the overall theme here. And you're not exactly coming off as the type of dude that is going to be convinced by any argument made on this topic, so this is more for the third parties reading this anyway.

No, the sexist thing about all this is how Landis used these women and how he thought little of them for putting themselves in the position of being used. That's sexism. No one is saying they didn't agree to be used by him or that they weren't aware that that was what was happening, since we don't know who they are. But the sexist thing is that Landis had no respect for them as people because they were available for him to exploit. The fundamental tenet of feminism is that one should view women as people, and he dehumanized them as sex objects.

"And there is no such thing as a feminist argument against a relationship with a woman who has both agency and ulterior motives." This is just complete and utter horseshit and is the crowning piece of the fundamental flaw of your entire mentality. Sexism is a thing that happens to ALL women regardless of whether they carry agency in their relationship or not. There's nothing any woman can do, feminist or otherwise, to stop a guy from catcalling her, sexually harassing her, or demeaning her. They can choose how they respond to that, they can fight against it, but Max Landis himself is the one who chooses to be sexist or not.

And that you've witnessed this phenomon of people appealing to people they like means literally nothing. Your hypothetical it could happen to me if I was somehow rich enough to fund a film similarly means nothing. Even if you are right and I'm secretly a scumbag that will abuse my power the first chance I get, all that would mean is that I would be a sexist scumbag like Max Landis is. You're tactics of "Well, you'd do it too" and "it's a thing that actually happens" isn't an argument against sexism, it's literally just saying that you apparently find sexism relatable and apparently something you could see yourself participating in. I don't know whether you've done it yourself personally or not, but that's the basic thing you seem to be appealing to: the idea that it's a normal, human impulse, which apparently means it can't be sexist.

And the fact that you don't understand this, going through it like sexism isn't possible unless goes through some outrageous women-hating hoops, is why you think the accusation of sexism is unsubstantiated. But it is. You're just willfully blind to it.

More than that, you're also acting like it's not possible to be a decent person in Hollywood. That it's somehow not possible to simply NOT take advantage of the groupie whose making herself available to you. Or to set up terms that prevent the power dynamic issue from manifesting at all. Worst case scenerio, he could have just went and found someone who didn't know or didn't care about his fame outside his work and just dated them, if he's so incapable of respecting women he who like him for his fame. So even if I were to buy you argument wholesale, then that still leaves the problem of "Well, couldn't have Max just NOT exploited women?"

And that's the last post I'll be making to you. Jesus....

Oh, and one last thing.

what part of "it was a mistake to get involved" is confusing you in the interview text? Search "phone number" and read how he regrets sharing his with this type of person.

I searched for both of the quoted words and found nothing in that article. And regardless, keep in mind that even if he regrets what he did, I see nothing to show he's made amends of any sort, so...(shrug)

- You couldn't find the word "number" in the Jezebel article? Are you okay?

- You're not even remotely grasping the "overall theme" of what I'm saying. Your attempt to summarize it as "it could happen to you so it's not sexist" is made up horseshit that I'm guessing you're promulgating because you'd rather win at feminism on the internet than engage in substantive discussion of how agency and dynamics play out in a situation where two people are using each other.

- At no point did you address that groupies start these relationships, and they are starting them with their own ulterior motives, nor did you address Max's stories of how they become stalkers if they aren't getting what they want, and now you're even claiming to be unable to find any hint that he finds something negative in being involved in a relationship with a groupie. Groupies have their own forums, dude. They are very clear on what they are about. Do you need Jezebel's permission to grok this information? Because here, have it. You seem to need to simplify the discussion so these things don't make your narrative untidy. You're only interested in blasting anybody who ends up involved with a groupie as a sexist. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But even outside the world of celebrity (I don't know if you're aware of what it's like in the dating world right now) -- even if it's 100% about getting your rocks off for Landis, having a no-strings-attached consentual sexual relationship with someone doesn't constitute sexism, especially in the Hollywood version of it where the man didn't start it and the man is being used for professional gain. It is prudish and naive to think all sexual relationships are happening in egalitarian situations based on romantic love and equality and perfect consideration for each other's feelings.

- You are like the supreme monarch of bad-faith oversimplifications. I've called you out on it time, and time again. The hallmark of "the Veelk post" seems to involve employing extreme amounts of self-righteousness and logorrhea against a strawman and I'm pretty sick of it. If you never post again to me, as you are promising, I will be glad. I am 100% sure I could describe for you what your point has been in this discussion, and 100% sure you could not do the same for me. It *could be* an interesting discussion where we both find the power dynamics make a non-exploitative/non-sexist explanation impossible IF YOU ACTUALLY TALK TO ME IN GOOD FAITH. But you don't do that with people.

- Another great Veelk hallmark is that touch of intellectual dishonesty. "Now I don't know whether you get involved with groupies or not, but..." (Of course I didn't, by the way. Boring old romantic relationships are the only thing for me, and I'm very happily married anyway.) But you would absolutely love it if I did, I can see that plainly. In the BB thread, I said the scene where Walter White's family dissolves in a desperate knife fight was heartbreaking and Skyler's actions in that scene weren't making sense to me, and you said, "I can't say for sure whether you are a sexist because of this, but..." You might as well have finished that with "but I love inferring that it does."

Anyway, we've derailed this enough. This is a Carly Rae Jepsen thread that touched on Rey's innate force abilities and the agency of groupies so I'm not sure what rails it has, but whatever train is running on them, I'm getting off here.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, what I actually meant by not replying to you anymore was in the context of this particular thread, not as a whole. And I wasn't going to, but this is straight up an attack on my character, rather than my arguments, at this point. So lets break these points down a bit.

- You couldn't find the word "number" in the Jezebel article? Are you okay?

The quote you gave was "phone number", which doesn't come up. Quotations typically mean that you're quoting the source directly, so it's not my fault you were sloppy and couldn't properly cite your source here.

And even then, all he says is "I was really stupid", which is interpretable, to say the very least. Is he stupid because he was abusing this girl's feelings, or is he stupid because he got himself involved in drama he ended up regretting? I ask for proof of his regret in how he treated women and this isn't exactly ironclad. It, at best, opens up the possibility. How about something to the effect of "I really regret how I badly treated and thought of the women who did this"?

- You're not even remotely grasping the "overall theme" of what I'm saying. Your attempt to summarize it as "it could happen to you so it's not sexist" is made up horseshit that I'm guessing you're promulgating because you'd rather win at feminism on the internet than engage in substantive discussion of how agency and dynamics play out in a situation where two people are using each other.

Having read your posts pretty thoroughly, this really is all your saying. Even in the quote below this one, you're not really offering a reason why it's not sexist that doesn't extend beyond "Well, that's how it is." I'll address this more in depth in the next bit, but first this "Win at feminism" thing. What your doing here basically amounts to accusing me of virtue signalling, and I'm hoping I don't have to explain how baseless not just this particular accusation is, but the concept of this accusation as a whole. In my experience, the only people who think people act falsely good on the internet (to what gain, who the fuck knows) are people who don't see the value in holding actual virtues, so they can't see how another person could. Making me out to be trying to win at feminism is a meaningless accusation because....well, yeah. I want to be the best feminist I can be. People have different definitions of that, but the core of feminism is a humanistic value of women. What kind of asswipe wouldn't to be that? It doesn't mean my arguments are flawless or that I can't be wrong, but you're framing my feministic values as inherently devaluing to the substance of the conversation, when feministic values should be the goal of everyone's relationship with gender. It doesn't mean I'm trying to 'win feminism', whatever that means, but you're not gonna shame or discredit me for having feministic values. Which brings me to....

- At no point did you address that groupies start these relationships, and they are starting them with their own ulterior motives, nor did you address Max's stories of how they become stalkers if they aren't getting what they want, and now you're even claiming to be unable to find any hint that he finds something negative in being involved in a relationship with a groupie. Groupies have their own forums, dude. They are very clear on what they are about. Do you need Jezebel's permission to grok this information? Because here, have it. You seem to need to simplify the discussion so these things don't make your narrative untidy. You're only interested in blasting anybody who ends up involved with a groupie as a sexist. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But even outside the world of celebrity (I don't know if you're aware of what it's like in the dating world right now) -- even if it's 100% about getting your rocks off for Landis, having a no-strings-attached consentual sexual relationship with someone doesn't constitute sexism, especially in the Hollywood version of it where the man didn't start it and the man is being used for professional gain. It is prudish and naive to think all sexual relationships are happening in egalitarian situations based on romantic love and equality and perfect consideration for each other's feelings.

Again, this is why I say you don't actually know what sexism constitutes. You keep banging on the point about how if these women willing participated, then it's all a-okay. And it is, from a legal perspective. No one here is accusing Landis of rape or sexual harassment or anything. What we are accusing him of is being a sexist asshole, which is something you can be with willing participants.

And the reason he is a sexist asshole is not because of any casual relationship with a groupie, but his satisfaction in exploiting that power dynamic to demean and hurt those women who willingly choose to be with him. That's the part you don't seem to get. Sexism isn't any particular action, it's a mentality. A worldview. It's how you regard women in general. How women act towards you can influence that, but it's ultimately independent and each individual is responsible for their own sexism.

You can have a casual, no strings attached sexual relationship and not be a sexist if you maintain respect for the person as a human being. You can even do it with a groupie, though if you care about the power dynamics you'll probably want to address them in some way before proceeding. You can't, however, dehumanize, demean, and exploit women the way he does, and then claim to respect women as people. He would be sexist for this even if he DIDN'T take them up on their offers. This isn't what basic respect, even with casual hook up partners, looks like. That's the part you're consistently leaving out to make your argument seem more reasonable than it is, at least in the case of Max Landis. He didn't just have casual sex with a fangirl. He's talking about how stupid and crazy they are for doing it, while he's enjoying that he has the power over them to make them that way.

As a side note, it should be kept in mind, this is just his judgement of these women. They might be accurate, or he might be playing up when they just wanted a casual hookup with a cool star without being truly 'crazy' as he puts it. Something tells me the girl he ended up giving 'crippling social anxiety' to wouldn't have signed on for that if she knew what she was getting with that. And before you accuse me of baseless speculation, then how about you provide something more ironclad regarding his supposed regret of his than what you've given me thus far, eh? And make sure to cite it properly this time.

Oh, and this Jezebel thing. Again, the whole virtue signaling thing is bullshit anyway, but you've brought up a lot of contempt for this explicit feminist website, and I should just let you know that I don't read it unless someone links me a page to it, which they haven't done in atleast 6 months before this came up yet again. I bring this up because....

- You are like the supreme monarch of bad-faith oversimplifications. I've called you out on it time, and time again. The hallmark of "the Veelk post" seems to involve employing extreme amounts of self-righteousness and logorrhea against a strawman and I'm pretty sick of it. If you never post again to me, as you are promising, I will be glad. I am 100% sure I could describe for you what your point has been in this discussion, and 100% sure you could not do the same for me. It *could be* an interesting discussion where we both find the power dynamics make a non-exploitative/non-sexist explanation impossible IF YOU ACTUALLY TALK TO ME IN GOOD FAITH. But you don't do that with people.

- Another great Veelk hallmark is that touch of intellectual dishonesty. "Now I don't know whether you get involved with groupies or not, but..." (Of course I didn't, by the way. Boring old romantic relationships are the only thing for me, and I'm very happily married anyway.) But you would absolutely love it if I did, I can see that plainly. In the BB thread, I said the scene where Walter White's family dissolves in a desperate knife fight was heartbreaking and Skyler's actions in that scene weren't making sense to me, and you said, "I can't say for sure whether you are a sexist because of this, but..." You might as well have finished that with "but I love inferring that it does."

I'm combining these posts, because they basically say the same thing. Regarding those links you posted, well, you're completely wrong, but if we're now going to start replying from other threads, we're gonna be here forever, and this is already pretty long.

Now, first off, you're misusing the term intellectual dishonesty in about as wrong a way as you possibly can. Intellectual Dishonesty is about arguing from a position known to be false for ulterior purposes, like a racist who hides behind economic anxiety when he really just wants black people punished for percieved wrongs. In this case, to be intellectually dishonest, I would act as if I knew that you were in a groupie relationship and use that as bias to discredit your arguments.

What's happening is actually the complete opposite. I really don't know if you've been involved with groupies or not(Until you told me, I guess, assuming you're telling the truth, which I don't know that either) and I am admitting it. And when I say what I said above about virtue signalling, again, I don't know for sure if you value the virtues of feminism, but between your seemingly compulsive hate for jezebel as well as the accusation of falsely trying to be a good feminist, it's worth bringing up as a possibility. And for completely different reasons, when I said that I couldn't say for sure whether you are a sexist in the other thread, that was me speaking the truth too, because it's hard to pin down what actions come from a stable world view, which is what sexism actually is. It's not me being evasive, it's genuinely difficult to tell in a lot of cases, because a lot of people are well-intentioned and sexism is ingrained into everyone on some level. It wasn't an accusation, because these things affect all of us to various degrees, myself included. So all these things I said I don't know, it wasn't me trying to sneakily insult you, I genuinely do not know, so I say I do not know them.

But I did bring those up to point out that they were possibilities, and you can't deny that they aren't, since I gain more and more reason to believe them as the conversation continues. Or you can deny it, but that would only further expose your own ignorance of how sexism works, because everyone, including me, has the potential for sexism. See? I'm very blunt. At this point in the conversation, I genuinely don't think you're very intelligent or worth speaking to (if this wasn't a public forum, I definitely would have left you alone a while ago, but as I said in the previous post, this is for the benefit of third party spectators. Hi, lurker!). You arguments ignore critical information, your understanding of sexism is highly underdeveloped, and now it seems you don't even know your logical fallacies, formal or otherwise, and you've insulted and condescended me on multiple occasions. So, I am not impressed with you at all and I have no trouble saying it. However, those things aren't actually relevant (or weren't until now) because to just cast accusations without backing things up is not only against the ToS, which wouldn't do me any favors, it's also an ad hominem and thus worthless as a counter point. So, that ought to put to bed any illusions you might have had about my lack of willingness to state my very low opinion of you to hide behind some air of legitimacy. I want whatever legitimacy I can gain to be from the merit and rigor of the arguments I make against your arguments.

Like this strawman thing you're accusing me of. Now, this one, you haven't technically used incorrectly, but you've failed to substantiate it. You never pointed out what component I'm misconstruing your argument as. You just say that I am and that it's possible to have a casual relationship with a groupie and not be sexist (which is technically true, sure, I never said it wasn't, but not what happened with Landis) and continuing to insist that reality is not some fairy tale rom com where everyone respects one another, which was never my claim in the first place and only really reinforces my argument that there existed a lack of respect for women on his part. Perhaps on the women's too, but we're discussing Landis, not them (and we don't have their side of the story in any case). But that's not me misconstruing your argument, that's me disagreeing with it's conclusion.

To the best of my honest intellectual ability to assess your argument, you're saying that because the women involved themselves with Landis willingly, it's not sexist for him to exploit them and think the demeaning thoughts he had about them (which I've addressed how that's wrong multiple times) and that I and plenty of others could//would do similar to him in a similar situation. I genuinely don't see what your point was trying to paint a scenerio where I'm in Landis' shoes if your intention was not an appeal to relatability (which I'm pretty sure is a fallacy, maybe under a different name, but don't quote me on this one. Maybe a subcatergory of an appeal to nature?). As far as I can tell, I haven't excluded any part of your argument and you're main objection seems to lie in the fact that I came to the conclusion that Landis can be sexist despite the women's willing participation and that's it's a normal position for a man to be in, so what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Now, if you feel I've misconstrued some part of what your saying, feel free to clarify, and if I then go on to ignore that clarification (which, btw, would NOT be the same thing as retorting that clarification in turn), THAT would be an argument that I'm strawmanning. Though I genuinely missed whatever clarification you offered if you have offered it before. But this petulant whining about it without actually substantiating your claim isn't a strawman until you do, though I doubt either of us have enough respect for each other to care anymore.

All this, and you accuse me of bad faith while you're blindly trying to associate a website you have no reason to think I even visit (because I don't) which also somehow further discredits me because I'm arguing from feministic values? Get the f out of here.

And THIS is the last post you'll see from me on this topic. I know I said that before, but like I said, that was before you brought in the factor of coming after me personally as a poster, so I needed to put that to bed atleast. If you find a way to up the ante from here on out, I might renege on my not posting yet again, sure, but I don't see how. And even if you're right about nothing else, this is way off the rails from the main topic anyway.

Luke makes one lucky shot at the end of the movie that was established earlier with the line about how he's good at aiming at small womp-rats, and the only reason he's able to freely make it is because Han saves his ass at the last moment from Vader.

Max's Mary Sue stuff is bullcrap but people shouldn't exaggerate stuff from ANH to knock it down.

He probably used a targeting system to be fair when shooting womp rats.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes, awesome...

the one thing that’s changed is certain chicks, which only started happening very recently, when they find out i’m a director, will open up a lot quicker.

you mean their legs?

everything – their legs, their personality. they’ll start crying to you in an instant.

my experience of chicks throwing themselves at you like that – they’re always fucking crazy. no chick worth hooking up with is going to throw it at you because it means they’re crazy.

women who are throwing it that easy – they’re not doing it because they think i’m cute, they’re doing it because they need some kind of validation...the only thing you could get from fucking me is getting to fuck me, and if so, lucky you. i guarantee that’s not what any of these chicks who just throw it at me really want. granted they’ll have a wonderful time, but it’s weird.

we were in such a sort of unfair, fucked up relationship – not the kind where there’s a lot of yelling and screaming – the actual relationship was very nice and loving, but i was so fickle about her body. i’m not shy, i would just blurt out shit all the time. she ended up completely changing how she dressed and how she looked for me. also gave a crippling social anxiety, self-loathing, body dismorphia, eating disorder to. that chick will never talk to me again.

I can’t date chicks who haven’t figured out their orgasms. I’ve met a lot of chicks who don’t or can’t cum during sex but still go on and on about how much they love sex and it throws me a little because I’m like, do you though?​

Sounds like he is honest about the nature of his relationships changing after he became successful. I don't really see the problem.

Top Bottom