• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A weird thing happened to me on the way to Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, you should definitely report her and explain what happened to the theatre. Nothing in your story warrants the security guard treating you like that.

Feared for your life? What IMAX theatre you going to that has strapped security guards?

The guard was calling for back up. Whether that was for more guards or for the police, it's not unreasonable that overzealous officials spurred on by the woman's delusions could lead to harm of some sort coming to the OP.

Nudull

Banned
So, I went back in and asked around for where I can make a report. No one seemed to know anything, and one suggested that the manager may have been around but they shrugged the whole thing off. Security woman was still hovering around, my mind was still jittery and I was running out of battery life to catch a ride home, so I just got the hell out before things could escalate again. I'll try and see if I can do something through their website.

Very funny (not for you) but I came in here expecting a story about some white manbaby ruining your movie going experience live the same as the movie is "ruining his childhood".

But what we have here is a legitimately disgusting case of racial profiling that actually mentally as well as physically harms individuals such as yourself.

White people worry about Ghostbusters, black people cant even get into see it. Funny stuff!

So, I went back in and asked around for where I can make a report. No one seemed to know anything, and one suggested that the manager may have been around but they shrugged the whole thing off. Security woman was still hovering around, my mind was still jittery and I was running out of battery life to catch a ride home, so I was got the hell out before things could escalate again. I'll try and see if I can do something through their website.

Is it a chain? Tweet at them.

Mr. X

She kicked you or before knowing you had tickets and thought they were fake before confirming. She had you guilty as soon as she saw you, fam.

You can call the theater or Google their name, you should be able to get their corporate number.

Lunar15

I never report things, but I would have reported that in a second. Literally no person should be treated that way at all. Especially if you showed her a real ticket and she said to your face it was fake.

Cook her up and serve her with a side of fuck you

report her and if they give you crap hit the theater up on social media

jabuseika

Report her and get something out of it.

Get her fired? You don't know if she was acting on her own or if she was told to do it, so I don't know about that.

I'm confused about where in the movie theater complex you were ? So were you waiting to get into the theater outside the building , already in the theater complex , at a different part or level of the theater complex ? I'm just not understanding where you were in the place , it's sounded like you were away from everything and ran into a security guard so I'm not understanding what's going on in the story

Yeah, I have to say, after reading the OP over twice I'm still not 100% sure where in the complex this actually takes place.

Nudull

Banned
I'm confused about where in the movie theater complex you were ? So were you waiting to get into the theater outside the building , already in the theater complex , at a different part or level of the theater complex ? I'm just not understanding where you were in the place , it's sounded like you were away from everything and ran into a security guard so I'm not understanding what's going on in the story

Yeah, I have to say, after reading the OP over twice I'm still not 100% sure where in the complex this actually takes place.

Sorry if my wording seemed jumbled. This took place at a museum that also houses an IMAX theater as a side building from the main area. It has a box office and all within a courtyard where an entrance to the museum and one for the theater also were, and the front of the entrance where I came in had ramps going down along the outer walls.

jstripes

Banned
Sorta unrelated to what you went through, but I got to my theatre and scanned my phone for the tickets. The machine said "this is for a future date" (?) "are you sure you want to continue?"

The cinema itself had an LED sign saying "Tarzan" out front of it.

But, the movie played.

But ya, everyone in your report sounds very rude. Fuck them.

noquarter

You should report it. Usually security will be from an outside service, you can usually se the name of the company on the badge on the arm. Try to also report it to the museum the theater is in as well as the theater chain.

Shame this happens still.

Dmax3901

So fucked. I can't even imagine how angry I would be.

EDIT: Thought about this some more. As a white Australian, the thought of being treated this way is unthinkable. Not only that, but the idea of being too scared (of being fucking killed at a cinema) to report the person in question? Wtf man the US is fucked.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Write a Twitter story and make sure to include the theater in the conversation, attach the proper hashtags and eventually if people latch on this woman will be fired, publicly shamed for a few months and you might get some free movie tickets out of it.

That's what we call a win - lose - win.

That is fucked up. Definitely report her. Hopefully they give you a refund, and get her in trouble. That is especially fucked up when she thought your ticket was fake, wtf.

Mesoian

Report it, she racially profiled you

Yurp. This is a valid complaint.

Feared for your life? What IMAX theatre you going to that has strapped security guards?

Well, in my area, the only iMAX theater for a long time was attached to a high scale furnature store that had it's own security. There are certainly instances where I could see security designed to protect a higher calibur of merch throwing their weight around where it doesn't need to be.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Why were you there so damn early for Ghostbusters?

Anyways, security guard seems like a giant asshole.

:edit:
BTW, after reading his post about the place, this is like OMSI here in Portland, OR. An IMAX attached to a science museum.. the lady might not have known about Ghostbusters playing as she was probably security from the museum side. Probably saw you outside and when she locked the doors you appeared inside, as no movie was starting soon it probably seemed weird.. as you said it was 1 1/2hrs before show time.

Shadybiz

Try again tomorrow for sure. You were 100% treated unfairly. I could have showed up yesterday for the movie and they probably wouldn't have said anything to me.

I definitely thought this would be either a supernatural event, or some rabid original Ghostbusters fan doing weird shit.

Report it, she racially profiled you

Wait...

What if she thought "this guy definitely looks like the type of guy who would give this movie a good word of mouth", so she attempted to stop you from viewing the movie?

:O

TDLink

Definitely report it. You'll probably get free movie tickets out of it at the very least and she totally deserves it in this case.

So on a scale of 1 to 4 how much was this movie worth waiting an hour and a half, being racially harassed, and momentarily fearing for your life?

See, part of me wants to see this Theatre's information and address posted online.

And just see how GAF Justice plays out.

Or at least so we know to avoid that particular theatre.

AxelFoley

So, last month I bought IMAX tickets to Ghostbusters for funsies before all the reviews came in (I live dangerously :p). Feeling pretty great about all the decent reviews, I was excited about seeing it tonight.

I should note that I am black, the only black person in the crowd going to see this movie at the place I went to, so read into the following however you will.

I go to my local IMAX theater as normal. It was my fiirst time comibg back again since The Force Awakens last December, and from experience, it seemed like a cool place. I would just sit around and wait outside like I did last time, but then a security guard start calling over for me by the museum doors (that building should've been closed by the time I showed up, so I had no clue what was going on). By the time I start coming closer, they lock the doors on me. Weird, but no big deal.

Eventually, I noticed that the theater doors were open and other people were already inside waiting. I had an hour and half to wait, so why not go in early? I come in and try and find my way to the concessions stand, buuut the same security stops me on the spot and tells me "you need to go outside". Things gets weirder from there. Soon as I go outside, she immediately tells me that "they" (I assume the staff, but she wasn't clear) wanted me downstairs on the front of the entrance. That was the place where I waited for TFA at the time, so I didn't really question outside of a clarification if I was supposed to wait there (she responded by vaguely dodging the question and simply guiding me further down an empty ramp).

It took me a bit to realize that she was booting me out of the theater entirely.

I eventually turned around and shrugged off the whole weirdness, but there was that same security woman, on the phone calling for backup on a trespasser. At that point, I was fearing for my life, not knowing what the hell to do. I confronted her and showed her the ticket recipt, but she insisted that it was fake and that there was no "Ghostbusters movie" showing. It took a bit of convincing to get her to take me over to the other staff members that were starting to gather, but thankfully, everything got cleared up.

I honestly don't know if I should put up some sort of report or just let it go, but I felt like venting a bit. I just came to have fun and watch a movie, and now I have to deal with bits of anxiety and paranoia biting at the back of my head. I still got to enjoy the movie (part of me wanted to leave outright, but hey, I paid for the ticket), but...fuck. :/

Hell yes, you should report this. This is some straight up racist bullshit, bruh.

Oreoleo

Well done, OP!
tumblr_m07ssxeMPo1qf4glfo6_250.gif

Seriously though, that's really shitty OP. Don't let it slide. Go back ASAP and raise a stink to whoever you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom