• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Feeling pretty untouchable
bored
in this game. Already not using camps, not upgrading my weapons much, doing crazy combos, getting tired of beating the warlock. According to the achievements there is some creature I haven't found that I need to beat. Only missing page 9 of the journal, wherever that is. I've been in every room before so I don't know if it's just a wait and maybe the right dude will spawn while you're on the level thing or what. I captured the violin guy and he's a crappy fighter.

Look who decided to beat the Warlock.
What level is he? I don't think I captured him my first try because I was too low level.

Ozium

I don't understand the point of fighting the shopkeeps. I did once because I was trying to save money and I wanted to see if it would give me 1 of his items as loot and got literally nothing. Why even have that mechanic in there if there's no reward for the risk?

Also Katrien blows, Ghost Monk is a beast and Pincoya is cheating.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the Warlock with Katrien :) Hmm, should I go with the monk or Pincoya next?

Are the friends leader-boards bugged? Can't load it. At #1992 overall, lol

Mephala

I really wanted to play as Pincoya and I'm kinda annoyed she isn't unlocked from the beginning. I unlocked the Ghost Monk though I'm not sure how I did that. I had to quit halfway down and am only a lowly level 7. After reading a little bit here though it sounds like Pinny would be too easy so I guess I'm glad I'll get to enjoy her later.

How do you unlock stuff in this game? I feel like I'm missing something. I just run around slaughtering enemies. How do you unlock them as characters? Do you learn this later or do you have to figure it out yourself? What are the icons on the map?

Tokubetsu

I really wanted to play as Pincoya and I'm kinda annoyed she isn't unlocked from the beginning. I unlocked the Ghost Monk though I'm not sure how I did that. I had to quit halfway down and am only a lowly level 7. After reading a little bit here though it sounds like Pinny would be too easy so I guess I'm glad I'll get to enjoy her later.

How do you unlock stuff in this game? I feel like I'm missing something. I just run around slaughtering enemies. How do you unlock them as characters? Do you learn this later or do you have to figure it out yourself? What are the icons on the map?

To unlock pincoya:
Go to the the yellow room on your map. There, you need to throw 25K into the fountain to unlock her.

You don't unlock enemies as characters. You capture them when your mana bar is full and then you can summon them with down on the dpad.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Feeling pretty untouchable
bored
in this game. Already not using camps, not upgrading my weapons much, doing crazy combos, getting tired of beating the warlock. According to the achievements there is some creature I haven't found that I need to beat. Only missing page 9 of the journal, wherever that is. I've been in every room before so I don't know if it's just a wait and maybe the right dude will spawn while you're on the level thing or what. I captured the violin guy and he's a crappy fighter.

What level is he? I don't think I captured him my first try because I was too low level.

I think Level 45. I gotta capture the random enemy that pops on the city and the Nightmare Versions of the cast. I don't think I have much left to capture. Oh and of course Final Boss is Level 70.

As for the one saying what is the point of fighting the merchant you should capture him and spam the double projectiles he has in a middle of a combo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Having beaten the game, I certainly understand the critique raised about lacking difficulty. I think the problem lies in the same place as other rogue-like action platform games (like Rogue Legacy) with XP - it's hard to balance the game. When you hit level 20-30 you'll just plow through everything the game throws at you. On your second playthrough you'll probably hit that magic plowing spot a bit earlier too.

Maybe the game would have been even better had they cut out the leveling part, and made the special attacks into random distributed collectibles through-out the levels, or something like that.

A big maybe though, I'm just a game playing scrub

Vazra

welp. just learned that you can only respawn at a tomb thing once per floor the hard way lol.

Now do that on Coop. Only one of you can be revived.
KuGsj.gif

Vazra

I guess they will put it later.

As for a giggles someone suggested this for the next mask of the warlock
HHM.jpg

I would cry and fail because of it.

Silaerion

Neo Member
Has anyone managed to capture the Living Creature, let alone acquire Page 9 of the Warlock's Journal?

I have Katrien at level 70, and neither of the two things mentioned above has seemed possible for me despite numerous attempts.

Ozium

Interesting how he's put almost 7 hours into a game he doesn't seem to like.

At least he has a legitimate claim to not liking it though if he actually did play for 7 hours... I guess 7 hours wasn't enough to wash the taste of that nasty Chile out of his mouth.

So nightmare mode is today? I'm ready for it because the game was a lot easier than I expected.

Granted, I kind of liked that it was so easy, so that I didn't have to play 1/2 or 3/4s into a game fifty times before getting to see the end.

Now that the mask has broken once though, is the boss harder than he was before?

Silaerion

Neo Member
So nightmare mode is today? I'm ready for it because the game was a lot easier than I expected.

Granted, I kind of liked that it was so easy, so that I didn't have to play 1/2 or 3/4s into a game fifty times before getting to see the end.

Now that the mask has broken once though, is the boss harder than he was before?

If everything tests well, Nightmare Mode will be included with the patch being released today. It's pretty much a certainly at this point though as they've added a new achievement called Grand Master which is rewarded upon completion of Nightmare Mode.

As for the Warlock, he hasn't changed in difficulty from what I've experienced.

Zeliard

New patch should be dropping fairly soon. They're finishing up some testing.

One of the devs also posted this:

"In the nightmare difficulty mode option in the upcoming patch (we're debugging the last stuff now) all the bosses have an assist phantom boss... even in single player."

question: I'll be downloading but If I'm playing offline from then on, does that mean I'll never get to see the next phase of the Warlock?

Ps, and is it just me, or does the story kinda remind Adventure time fans of a certain episode of that show about a dreamer whose dreams were manifesting?

Silaerion

Neo Member
Patch v.1.01 is out!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/43099721532286113/

Fixes / changes include:

• Togglable friendly fire option. Note: Deactivating friendly fire does not allow posting to leaderboards.
• Created ‘Nightmare mode’ difficulty setting: In this mode enemies attack more aggressively and single-player boss battles feature support minions.
• Created an achievement for beating the game in nightmare mode.
• Updated all interfaces to properly display corresponding keyboard or controller inputs.
• Updated controls menu: Gamepad controls are now configurable.
• Added missing resolutions to graphic options menu.
• Fixed one case of players being unable to move when resurrecting a partner (shopkeeper cannot be interacted with during resurrect animation) .
• Slightly increased turn speed for some characters that had slower turns.
• Nerfed Pincoya’s ground regular attacks a bit. Nerfed firefighter’s shotgun blast.
• Tweaked ultra button combination so it’s slightly easier to perform.
• Tweaked controller sensitivity for navigating menus with analogue sticks.
• Fixed potential non-progression in Warlock battle.
• After beating the Warlock players don't lose their inventory.

Strider

LOVE the new update. Just the slight increase to the turn speed makes the game feel soooo much better. Finally beat the Warlock too lol

Silaerion

Neo Member
Well, just defeated the Warlock on Nightmare Mode with Pincoya.

I'm definitely enjoying the difficulty changes brought with the mode as I had to actually plan my course of action with several enemy combinations. The Warlock is also fairly more challenging due to the Nightmare enemy accompanying him.

That aside, movement seems a good bit more cohesive overall, and immediate replay runs are now encouraged with the retained inventory after defeating the Warlock. I'm still kinda surprised that last bit wasn't implemented with the game's release, but it could've just been a bug.

All in all, the patch looks to have managed to address a lot of common complaints. I, for one, am excited for future refinements and the additional Warlock phases!

I think it's just the amount of times you've defeated the Warlock.

You're correct, the leaderboard is based around the amount of times each player has defeated the Warlock.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Bought this on Steam after watching the Quick Look on Giant Bomb and on my wife's urgings. Looks beautiful. Downloading now.

Does this game have native DS4 support? Spanish language voices? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks.

Vazra

Bought this on Steam after watching the Quick Look on Giant Bomb and on my wife's urgings. Looks beautiful. Downloading now.

Does this game have native DS4 support? Spanish language voices? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks.

The merchant talks spanish... Thats about it.
No native DS4
Patience and get those 3 cancels as soon as you get 3 specials set.

Goldmund

I'm kind of interested in this game, but the GiantBomb QL made the frame rate look a bit dodgy. Is that just their capturing or is it poorly optimized?

Silaerion

Neo Member
Just a heads-up for people who have defeated the Warlock on Nightmare Mode: there's a bug that causes any further Warlock kills to not register on the leaderboard. I started noticing it myself after defeating him an additional three times after clearing Nightmare Mode. It's not certain if it originates with Nightmare Mode, but that seems to be the developer's focus of attention as of the moment.

Edit #1: It looks like the v1.01 patch itself may have broke the leaderboard according to this post.

Edit #2: This post confirms that the v1.01 patch broke the leaderboard and, in turn, the progression system regarding the Warlock. I have to admit, the response is pretty darn disappointing as ACE Team's basically telling people to quit playing the game until the next patch if all they're looking to do is help unlock new content.

I can play nightmare mode with the levels I've gained in regular mode, right?

Yes, and vice versa.

After watching the Giant Bomb quicklook I decided to pick this up. I managed to beat the Warlock and unlock the naked lady character in my first run. I really hope there's more to this game than that.

Vazra

Update: My performance has dropped to shit in the game running at bad fps. I tried something more taxing than Abyss Odyssey and it runs fine so it seems something broke with the game.

EDIT: I think what might have happened and it might be my mistake will report as soon as I set things as I like.

Corpekata

Banned
Update: My performance has dropped to shit in the game running at bad fps. I tried something more taxing than Abyss Odyssey and it runs fine so it seems something broke with the game.

EDIT: I think what might have happened and it might be my mistake will report as soon as I set things as I like.

I actually noticed it acting weird too. Like it launched at 30 FPS for some reason. Entered the game and it was hovering in the 20s. Went up to 60 finally but something was off.

Lord Phol

This game looks great, didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread. Definetly going to check it out when I get home, too bad i'm horrible at fighting games D:

Top Bottom