• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision CEO says Nintendo's next console is close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of power.

Noxxera

thats one weak machine. Nintendo will lose out on 3rd party support again.
Pretty sure Nintendo will utilize DLSS and shit in the next hardware. Graphics have kinda reached a peak point, and the rendering techniques will only get better. What I'm saying is their next hardware can hold up decently. Not 4k 60fps Horizon graphics mind you but that has never been Nintendos way. Not to mention the Zelda games gets jailbroken (or what the term is) and can run and look pretty good on PC.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Pretty sure Nintendo will utilize DLSS and shit in the next hardware. Graphics have kinda reached a peak point, and the rendering techniques will only get better. What I'm saying is their next hardware can hold up decently. Not 4k 60fps Horizon graphics mind you but that has never been Nintendos way. Not to mention the Zelda games gets jailbroken (or what the term is) and can run and look pretty good on PC.
Nintendos prolly gonna DRM the crud out of Switch 2 whens it releases in 2027

That, the Z1. 2.8Tflops in RDNA 3, would be a good hardware for switch 2:

l6XIZuR.jpg
y4Jsc3i.jpg
If you go from nVidia to AMD, you can kiss Backwards Compatibility goodbye. There's no chance in hell that Nintendo will put the time and effort into making that work. That was the biggest reason you don't see BC PS3 games and why it was so hard for the Xbox 360 to emulate Xbox games.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It's a handheld hibryd. It cant be more powerful without having 30 minutes of battery life.
Even though the idea is nice, as I always wanted portables to have a TV out so I can always play their games on TV, it becomes a problem when they've completely got rid a home only console and you're stuck with this battery-hamstrung hybrid. That is its downside.

It is why I wish they go back to separate dedicated portables and home consoles, but this time share the same game library instead. Portable crowd get their Lites and home console crowd get their power. The home console crowd got shafted imo.

But it's their business so whatever.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Even though the idea is nice, as I always wanted portables to have a TV out so I can always play their games on TV, it becomes a problem when they've completely got rid a home only console and you're stuck with this battery-hamstrung hybrid. That is its downside.

It is why I wish they go back to separate dedicated portables and home consoles, but this time share the same game library instead. Portable crowd get their Lites and home console crowd get their power. The home console crowd got shafted imo.

But it's their business so whatever.

I would also have prefered a home console for better looking games, but a lot of people like the hybrid option.

Reactions: TLZ

diffusionx

Gold Member
There's a huge difference between PS4 and Xbox One though. The PS4 was able to push out 1080p/30fps games for most of its life at a high visual IQ, while the Xbox One was a pile of shit. So, really, is it close to PS4 or Xbox One, the difference is material. Also the system would presumably have a much better CPU than either because it's basically impossible not to.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So it might be about as powerful as a Steam Deck. Hoping it's stronger than that though, especially if it is still pretty distant in terms of release date.
If it’s on a par with Steam Deck or a bit more, but gives developers a single platform to develop for and better battery life, with some features like DLSS it should be in a pretty good spot. If they really are carrying over Switch digital purchases too it’s a day 1 purchase for me

Gametrek

Banned
It does not matter because whatever they make will sell. People will just wait and purchase whatever console for three-fifi, or go dumpster diving. I Just want to play Mario Kart, Pokemon, and play whatever Zelda or Metroid game that is new. Nobody cares about those factors.

hinch7

Around a Steam Deck is pretty much what most people expect from an affordable sub $400 handheld. Even ROG Ally with its APU can't really go much further in performance without pumping out the watts.

I can imagine this being qutie a bit more efficient. This using Nvidia's custom SOC.

Hopefully we get good implementation of DLSS on there to improve visuals and performance. Especially when viewed on a larger screen.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

It’s no secret that a new Nintendo platform has been in the works as the company isn’t going to sit on Switch forever. According to Kotick, it will be close to Gen 8 power – or the PlayStation 4 / Xbox One, in other words.

Kotick has been having email exchanges with Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa. In one message, Kotick mentioned that the Switch successor has “closer alignment of Gen 8 platforms”.

This came about during courtroom proceedings over whether Call of Duty could be ported to Switch or the next Nintendo console. Kotick said in
response:

“Given closer alignment of Gen 8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 and Xbox One, it’s reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for NG [next-gen] Switch as well.”

Edit: The title is misleading he just assumes it.

And thats why i gave up on nintendo.. fuck this

Banned
There's a huge difference between PS4 and Xbox One though. The PS4 was able to push out 1080p/30fps games for most of its life at a high visual IQ, while the Xbox One was a pile of shit. So, really, is it close to PS4 or Xbox One, the difference is material. Also the system would presumably have a much better CPU than either because it's basically impossible not to.

absolutely not a big difference. the computational difference between the Xbox One GPU and the PS4 GPU always resulted in a 1080p to 900p split in well optimised games.
that is a difference that's noticeable but not in any way substantial.
the Xbox One's issues mostly came from neglect towards the end of the generation, and complications with the memory system towards the beginning of the generation.
The Xbox One S giving a small, 5% to 10% bump on top of that as well due to its GPU overclock.

meanwhile the CPU was better in the Xbox One.

so since we can assume that the Switch 2 will not have a weird DDR3+sDRAM setup, and won't have a CPU that's even comparable with last gen consoles,
what is left as a metric is the GPU performance, and that was close enough for the difference in games being was pretty small.

ps4xboxonepdd20.png

DMC5 Average Gameplay Framerate: PS4=56.66fps/Xbox One=50.38fps

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Its just an assumption

but yeah best case scenario Switch 2 will be slightly above PS4 in terms of raw power but with more modern features.

Battery will last longer than Steam Deck, guessing1080p screen

won't be groundbreaking but these are decent specs for a Nintendo handheld tablet

im very curious about the CPU though wonder how they are going to handle that

Last edited:

EDMIX

shock /s

If they do another portable (which they would be fucking retarded not to btw), it will be lessor and it makes sense if they are just going to have some HDMI out feature for those who wish to play on a TV.

Xellos

eh expected. Its a portable console afterall.
I guess most games will stay at 30 fps on switch 2.

Probably, but I hope games offer 40fps in a 120hz container. Many older TVs are capable of 1080p/120hz, and this would be a reasonable 'performance mode' compromise for a low-power device, vs trying to hit 60fps with worse visuals.

Banned
I expect ps4 pro ish specs (so like 3-4 TF) 1080p on the go OLED and 1440-2160p docked…… games prob will look close to series S visuals if closer to the 4TF number…. Prob $399 at launch.

this will only happen if Nintendo uses the full Tegra Orin, which is questionable. I think PS4 level performance is more realistic to expect, with the PS4 Pro level being a nice surprise if it happens.
BUT the superior RT hardware and DLSS support would bring even a PS4 level GPU close to Series S levels of quality in many games.

after all, 4K with DLSS Performance mode would mean only 1080p native res needs to be rendered, but it would result in really good 4K image quality, with only a tiny GPU overhead over native 1080p

Last edited:

Zannegan

Here's hoping newer hardware architecture and features (come on DLSS!) allow it to punch above its weight. If they can get in the ballpark of the PS4 Pro with all of that, I'd be ecstatic, but given that the Steam Deck is sub Xbox One (if I recall correctly), I don't expect them to even get that much.

On the plus side, it will still be a generational leap for Nintendo, and given what they were able to get out of the Switch, this is a very exciting prospect. We'll have to see whether they manage to get close enough for "impossible" third party ports again.

NickFire

I’m guessing the head of Activision has a fairly informed opinion. Would also expect to see lots of threads regarding battery technology breakthroughs if the specs are going to blow this opinion away.

Last edited:

Raploz

What are people expecting? It's a portable console. Not even the best current gen mobile chip comes close to PS4 Pro levels. Even the ROG Ally, which uses AMDs newest tech and can consume upwards of 50 watts is only a little faster than the base PS4 (check Digital Foundry's video) and has atrocious battery life. The Steam Deck, which is not much behind, can only match a base PS4 in God of War at 720p vs PS4 at 1080p. Do people seriously expect anything above base PS4 level on a portable console that at most uses 15w? Even if they overclock the thing when docked it won't be much faster due to other bottlenecks, like memory bandwidth (they'll likely use LPDDR4X).

You guys need to be realistic with your expectations, or you'll be very disappointed when it's announced.

Gallard

Indeed, what were people expecting?

1. Nintendo throws away their super successful & economical portable console in order to make a home console like PS5 and XSX and enter a three way pissing match.

2. Nintendo makes a magical portable console that was as powerful as PS5 and XSX while still being the same price or less. Technical limitations and reality be damned!

I suspect these people aren't actual Nintendo fans, just console warriors on the other team trying to throw shade. You drum up extra outrage points if you preface your comment with, "As a longtime Nintendo fan..."

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
With all the people crying over 60FPS and disappointing graphics of this new gen, it's clear nobody can realistically push graphics too far before diminishing returns, and that's literally, because money is not limitless.

I do think the next Switch, and hopefully they won't be stupid and just call it Switch 2, if powerful as PS4 that's totally fine esp if they use DLSS which will help boost it.

Yoda

I know Activ has released Diablo on Switch, but nothing else right? I'd guess they don't have any secret knowledge and what they're saying is most likely an educated guess. The same TFLOP horsepower as PS4/XBONE with a solid DLSS implementation would work really well for a switch 2. Given it's current size (assuming they're aiming for the same footprint) I don't see the point of a screen better than 1080p.

With all the people crying over 60FPS and disappointing graphics of this new gen, it's clear nobody can realistically push graphics too far before diminishing returns, and that's literally, because money is not limitless.

I do think the next Switch, and hopefully they won't be stupid and just call it Switch 2, if powerful as PS4 that's totally fine esp if they use DLSS which will help boost it.

Funny enough I still game on PS4 and have a gaming PC better than a PS4 by a wide margin. PS4 graphics still look good to me

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Funny enough I still game on PS4 and have a gaming PC better than a PS4 by a wide margin. PS4 graphics still look good to me
I think for most people. Switch is showing it's age, but with a good efficient system, if you can get a God of War looking game on it, i think it'll be fine. Especially since I haven't seen huge leaps with PS5 (to my eyes, yeah, there's prob some nicer stuff, but it's really tiny).

Last edited:
I think for most people. Switch is showing it's age, but with a good efficient system, if you can get a God of War looking game on it, i think it'll be fine. Especially since I haven't seen huge leaps with PS5 (to my eyes, yeah, there's prob some nicer stuff, but it's really tiny).

That's what I'm saying I still think PS4 graphics is fine. That law of Diminishing Returns is hitting me and I have a really good PC, it's old nowadays and I do have to upgrade. For me, I'm fine with Switch 2 being PS4/XBONE on the TFLOPs side of things. But with modern technology too. It's gonna be interesting to see what type of other specs they use for Switch 2 that's not the GPU. I hope the CPU is good and I also hope for 8GB DDR4 since for Ram. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in the next 2 years. Switch to me is like a better PS3/XB360 specs wise. I'm sure for Switch 2 they will meet the PS4/XBONE specs or surpass them a little

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

If Nintendo finally comes up with a decent acct system with achievements/trophy type system I'm all in.

I know they are worthless but I like em so treat me like an NES cartridge.

Crayon

If the load times are fast that's good enough for me. I didn't buy a pro because the normal graphics were great and it didn't improve my biggest technical gripe of that generation. The load times.

Apocryphon

They have to balance price/performance/thermals/fan noise/battery life. Some people have ridiculous expectations.

Steam Deck-esque performance with an OLED screen, quieter fans, and better battery life is realistic at ~$349. I’m not expecting more than that. If it is backwards compatible with Switch it’s be very successful.

I do wish there was space for a proper next-gen Nintendo console, but I don’t think we’ll ever see three consoles of relative parity performance again.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This would be fine, but please Nintendo have a dock for $299 that plays the same games at true 4k........

Zuzu

Sounds decent. If it has DLSS and a better CPU than PS4/Xbox One then it should be a potent little machine.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Knowing Nintendo that might be with DLSS included, in order to save on die space.
Why waste silicon when you can use FSR2?
My bet it's 1080p console without DLSS.
Low production costs. Low game development costs. All software and tools are ready and mature. Easy to develop for. 4K is a waste in console like this IMO. (We have PC for that)

Last edited:
Top Bottom