• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision CEO says Nintendo's next console is close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of power.

mysticboy

Around Steam Deck power with newer features on its SoC. $200 handheld only with new joycons / $300 joycon grip + 4k dock with built-in SSD.

Kikorin

Considering upcoming games like Spiderman 2 doesn't looks that much different from the PS4 version (except for resolution obviously), and considering that the best looking games ever made are still Last of us 2/Red Dead 2, I'm more than fine if that's will be the case. I've also been pretty surprised of what devs did with Switch hardware, so with something like DLSS compatible I expect great results and support again.

mrmeh

It's probably a handheld running at a fraction of the power of a full console so it can fit in to the form factor and last more than a couple of hours... so its not really comparable generation wise with PS/Xbox. Fair to moan if they go for another older chipset though..

Steam Deck and ROG Ally are far from Nintendo's vision of a consumer product, It would be a big win if it had PS4 power.

Gudji

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Drell

Well isn't the Steam deck around this kind of power? So if Nintendo is still making a handled/home console hybrid, it make sense in term of reasonnable battery life.

Robb

Gold Member
'Close to PS4' is not even close to good enough; the CPU on those consoles are a complete joke. Yes, I know gameplay is king and it will sell gang busters but, come on, Nintendo can have far better muscle than that and still turn a profit on the hardware.
I’m not a tech guy but I’m pretty sure the CPU would still be way better/more modern than what’s in the Ps4.

Isn’t that the case with the Steam Deck? Yet it’s still comparable to PS4 in terms of power.

Kusarigama

Steamdeck costs around 350$ for the basic model and I think it's GPU isn't as powerful as PS4's. Historically Nintendo has never launched its consoles at loss like PlayStation and Xbox do.

Is it possible for Nintendo do the PS4 level GPU prowess in a hybrid formfactor while keeping the price low enough to not take loss and be 350 or 400usd?

Due to various factors consoles saw price hikes 2yrs after launch, to avoid taking loss on every unit sold I imagine. Price point would be most interesting to me.

RAIDEN1

I mean you could see this a MILE away that Nintendo is going for bare-minimum here, so PS4 power was to be expected...after all they left the horsepower race back in 2006 with the Wii and haven't looked back since...

mrmustard

Banned
I would love to see Nintendo coming up with a super strong home console and be like: Fuck you Sony, fuck you Microsoft. This is our yard now!
They could also go with a Switch 2 and stream the more demanding games on it.

Stafford

It would be such a Nintendo thing to do, that I can absolutely believe this happening. And what are they gonna ask for this in terms of price? It's undoubtedly gonna be hybrid again, something I don't give a fuck about. Just give me a home console and done.

Teletraan1

Banned
Great another generation of your favorite IPs getting chibified and dumped on this low power machine because it sells. Then you get ports to PC that look better but still have horrendous chibi art styles because developers infantilize the nintendo audience. I call it the Final Fantasy Tactics effect. You had a serious fantasy game with adult themes get infantilized in the Nintendo spin off, it still played well but the entire package was off-putting after the serious tone of the PS1 game. The modern version of this is Disgaea. Went from nice looking sprites to ugly 3D for low power systems, the MC looked like a zombie version of a splatoon character.

Sorcerer

Didn't Nintendo once try to justify the Wi-U tablet by saying it could work as a horn in Mario Kart? That should be the selling point of the new Switch!!! Honk Honk!!! JK

6sl8yiA.jpg

tkscz

Sounds more like he's assuming what the Switch successor will be vs saying what it is, however, I could see it sitting in the 1.8 - 3 TF graphical performance as it would be Nintendo's MO when it comes to handhelds.

Battery and size over performance power, and I can't really argue on something that's worked for them since the 1980's.

I mean, they were going to go with the Orin just for an upgraded Switch, might as well just use that for a full generation upgrade and call it a day.

Stafford

How the fuck is this going to help them getting more multiplatform games though? What about games solely made got Xbox Series and PS5? Will devs make the effort to make a version for Nintendo's hardware?

It won't matter to me anyway, I get a Nintendo system purely for its exclusives. The days of having a Nintendo system for all kinds are long gone.

I don't care about the specs for the portable side of Switch 2 - assuming it is still a hybrid handheld / console - but I really do hope that Nintendo put some thought into how those Switch 2 games will look on a 4K TV.

The current Switch can look pretty awful at times... well, most of the time actually... on a 55" OLED TV due to the sub-1080p resolutions and lack of support and upscaling for 4K resolutions. I would like to see them include a dock that has an additional chip in it with DLSS support to render the games at a higher visual fidelity and with basics like anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, something that is still rare to see in many of Nintendo's own first-party games. The problem is that when you have sub-1080p games rendered with raw stair-step edges and no texture filtering and then you output it at 1080p and then have it upscaled by the TV to 4K then the final image starts to look, quite frankly, a mess unless you sit 20 feet away from the screen or have extremely bad eye-sight!!! Unfortunately, for Nintendo 1080p LCD TVs are no longer as widely available as they used to be and that is what Switch games look best on (CRT would be even better). Nintendo need to catch up with the 21st century really.

I will be extremely disappointed if the Switch 2 is another system targeting 1080p max. for TV usage and 720p for portable gaming. A 1080p OLED screen would be nice to have for the handheld screen and 1440p max. (with hardware upscaling to 4K) for TV use.

P.S. Switch 2 absolutely has to be 100% backwards compatible with current Switch games otherwise I will definitely be giving it a miss.

Last edited:
Well of course it's going to be. Who is expecting differently? It will be a hybrid, let's be realistic. I'm expecting sub PS4-levels of power and no DLSS. That would be the most Nintendo thing, and we will like it. There is absolutely 0% chance of them pushing for 4k or anything above 1080p.

Last edited:

Stafford

I don't care about the specs for the portable side of Switch 2 - assuming it is still a hybrid handheld / console - but I really do hope that Nintendo put some thought into how those Switch 2 games will look on a 4K TV.

The current Switch can look pretty awful at times... well, most of the time actually... on a 55" OLED TV due to the sub-1080p resolutions and lack of support and upscaling for 4K resolutions. I would like to see them include a dock that has an additional chip in it with DLSS support to render the games at a higher visual fidelity and with basics like anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, something that is still rare to see in many of Nintendo's own first-party games. The problem is that when you have sub-1080p games rendered with raw stair-step edges and no texture filtering and then you output it at 1080p and then have it upscaled by the TV to 4K then the final image starts to look, quite frankly, a mess unless you sit 20 feet away from the screen or have extremely bad eye-sight!!! Unfortunately, for Nintendo 1080p LCD TVs are no longer as widely available as they used to be and that is what Switch games look best on (CRT would be even better). Nintendo need to catch up with the 21st century really.

I will be extremely disappointed if the Switch 2 is another system targeting 1080p max. for TV usage and 720p for portable gaming. A 1080p OLED screen would be nice to have for the handheld screen and 1440p max. (with hardware upscaling to 4K) for TV use.

P.S. Switch 2 absolutely has to be 100% backwards compatible with current Switch games otherwise I will definitely be giving it a miss.

Agreed. Imagine on larger than 55 inch, I can tell you it often isn't great. Xenoblade is very blurry for example.

LordOfChaos

That's about what I expect, always ballpark low with Nintendo so they surprise you to the upside rather than expecting higher and them always coming under

I'd say ~1TF docked is my max expectation, plus a much newer architecture than 8th gen plus DLSS would let it compete with 1.8TF from 8th gen pretty handily. And those Jaguar cores on 8th gen were just doodoo.

Little Mac

Gold Member
So Nintendo's next "hybrid" console that will probably launch in a year or so will be roughly equal in power to consoles that Sony and MS released 10 years ago?

Sethbacca

Would be nice to see them do a handheld and then do a separate higher powered egpu dock like the modern Steamdeck competitors are able to do. Then could do an efficient handheld with a separate more expensive egpu dock for more power for the people who want it on their tv screens, or just output the handheld to the tv with a base dock with obv lower visuals. Effectively would be a base vs pro model. I mean, will never happen, but would be a pretty fantastic solution.

Mithos

Is 1 Switch 2 TF=1 PS4 TF besides Teraflops ≠ (whole) Power?
I'm only talking about the power range/performance range.
Whatever "flops" the Switch 2 will have its going to be "better" so I expect whatever the "flop number" we will see on the Switch 2 it will not be 1.3 -> 1.84, I expect it to be 1Tflops MAX.

Last edited:
Top Bottom