• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision CEO says Nintendo's next console is close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of power.

Rat Rage

Switch 2 is gonna be a hybrid console again (anything else would be idiotic), so performance needs to be portable as well as affordable.

Also, the age of raw "hardware power" is over - deal with it! There has never been a console generation where it didn't matter less than right now.
To the vast majority of the gaming population everything looks "good enough", so diminishing returns in raw visual power are here.
Switch 2 is gonna be in a very good position therefore. Nintendo is going to offer PS4 level visuals on a hybrid console - and the vast majority will be satisfied.

Next gen, Nintendo is gonna have a massive advantage when it comes to pricepoint and performance.

Last edited:

Gallard

Does it have to be portable?

Is that a given?
125.62 million Switches sold to date says yes.

Like I said, it just feels lazy and uninspired, and frankly a little cowardly.

Lol. It's a business. You don't shoot the golden-egg laying goose. By this logic, Sony is cowardly for doing 5 generations of steadily increasing hardware.

It was incredibly risky to launch the Switch. Recall the initial reactions - people here were laughing and saying it was dead in the water. And it was incredibly risky to completely retool Zelda. Nintendo Labo with cardboard? Switch Fit Adventures with Ring?

Nintendo is taking risks - just not in the direction that you want.

Zannegan

Next gen, Nintendo is gonna have a massive advantage when it comes to pricepoint and performance.
I wouldn't bet on price point. $350 seemed steep when Nintendo announced the switch, but the market bore it without price cut for half a decade. With competitors actually hiking prices on current gen hardware, I wouldn't be shocked to see them launch the next one at $450, crazy as that sounds.

I'm still hoping for $400, but either way I doubt price will be much of an advantage.

Go_Ly_Dow

No excuse not to have a premium model at launch with an OLED screen for lets say $50-100 more than the base version...

MrMephistoX

So it might be about as powerful as a Steam Deck. Hoping it's stronger than that though, especially if it is still pretty distant in terms of release date.
Steam deck with an OLED would be pretty decent with Nintendo’s art direction unless they do something dumb like cheap out on RAM. If it’s not BC though I’m just buying everything not made by Nintendo on Steam Sales from now on. You would hope they would feel some pressure to at least beat Steam Deck specs since that’s competing in their space and they run the risk of a Wii U like mistake if there’s not a compelling upgrade reason.

Last edited:
125.62 million Switches sold to date says yes.

Lol. It's a business. You don't shoot the golden-egg laying goose. By this logic, Sony is cowardly for doing 5 generations of steadily increasing hardware.

It was incredibly risky to launch the Switch. Recall the initial reactions - people here were laughing and saying it was dead in the water. And it was incredibly risky to completely retool Zelda. Nintendo Labo with cardboard? Switch Fit Adventures with Ring?

Nintendo is taking risks - just not in the direction that you want.
Yes, it's a business.

Quite right.

That means giving the customer want they want.

Now, are you really telling me that the overwhelming majority of Nintendo fans, the ones who will buy their next console, want something that's already creaking with age at release?

Is that what you're trying to say?

When I said cowardly and uninspired, it meant afraid to take risks, to do something interesting.

As I already suggested, my conclusion is that there can only be two reasons they are releasing such underpowered hardware in 2023.

1) they are too cheap to invest in high quality components and build some that actually has merit in today's market

2) they are very wary of releasing some that might bring them into direct competition with Sony and Microsoft, hence the antiquated hardware and 37th iteration of Mario, Zelda etc...

They are playing it safe, keeping well away, in their lane, happy to sit in their niche and count the billions.

No doubt, it appears profitable, but could they do better?

Could they offer their developers something that would do their talent justice?

I feel like it's yes and yes.

Like I said, all very uninspired and tepid.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I wouldn't bet on price point. $350 seemed steep when Nintendo announced the switch, but the market bore it without price cut for half a decade. With competitors actually hiking prices on current gen hardware, I wouldn't be shocked to see them launch the next one at $450, crazy as that sounds.

I'm still hoping for $400, but either way I doubt price will be much of an advantage.

I think the Switch 2 will be $399 - at the most.

Gallard

Yeah, inflation has screwed everything up.

How powerful is the Steam Deck? Is it roughly PS4 level and 1080p graphics?

If the Steam Deck base model is already $399 and assuming Nintendo is aiming to make Switch 2 have the same power but in a smaller form factor... it's going to be $399 at least.

Banned
Yeah, inflation has screwed everything up.

How powerful is the Steam Deck? Is it roughly PS4 level and 1080p graphics?

If the Steam Deck base model is already $399 and assuming Nintendo is aiming to make Switch 2 have the same power but in a smaller form factor... it's going to be $399 at least.

the Deck is more like an Xbox One in GPU power. but the CPU is of course much better than either last gen console.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That power gap is getting bigger and bigger vs PS/Xbox. PS4 and Xbox One came out 10 years ago running at 1.3 to 1.8 TF.

And just to think back during the SNES/N64/GC eras Nintendo actually tried to be BOTH powerful systems and unique controllers.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That power gap is getting bigger and bigger vs PS/Xbox. PS4 and Xbox One came out 10 years ago running at 1.3 to 1.8 TF.

And just to think back during the SNES/N64/GC eras Nintendo actually tried to be BOTH powerful systems and unique controllers.
The power gap has been minute between ps4 and ps5. Nearly running every game on both. 😂🤣.

Switch 2 will be fine.

Last edited:

Banned

I mean, the SNES didn't try to have a unique controller. back then it was more like trying to actually have a good controller... because such a thing didn't exist yet lol.

Nintendo correctly noticed that controllers didn't use your index fingers at all, which was wasted potential. and they correctly noticed how awfully unintuitive all the button layouts on the market were, so they came up with the diamond shaped arrangement.

so the SNES wasn't trying to he unique, and just tried to be actually good imo.

Woopah

I get all that, I do.

But, I just can't help feeling these Nintendo developmers are being hamstrung by such underpowered hardware.
Like I said, imagine the new Zelda series running at 4k60 with all the bells and whistles running at high settings.
Yes, the PS4 can produce great looking games, no question.

However, this is a machine that may well have to last 6, 7, 8 years... maybe longer.

It just feels like Nintendo are being cheap and unimaginative, playing it safe - like their thinking is stuck in a different time.

What on earth makes them think releasing technology decades behind the current systems is in any way a positive response to the offering of their competition?

Then again, maybe that's it - maybe they feel like they have no direct competition and that's the way they like it.

Avoid getting entangled with Sony and Microsoft, and the pc crowd, stay in their own corner with their back to everyone else jealousy guarding the market share they posses, and keep the money rolling in.

Churn out another 5 Mario games with varying gameplay mechanics, throw in another Zelda, some Metroid, a Pokémon title or two, whatever else they can show horn in...same old same old.

Like I said, it just feels lazy and uninspired, and frankly a little cowardly.
Because they offer greater flexibility than the competition.

Nintendo are not being "uninspired" by letting customers play in tabletop mode or portable mode. They are not being "cowardly" by offering decent battery life.
their powerful systems all performed worse than their less powerful ones.

SNES performed worse than the NES,
the N64 and GameCube performed worse than the Wii.

their handhelds, all of which always had at least 1 more powerful competitor, all performed really well.
It's not just the case with their systems either, the GameCube and Xbox were both more powerful than the PS2. Power doesn't tend to be that important.

Trilobit

I'm playing Insomniac's Spider-Man PS4 game on my PS5 right now and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's going to be amazing to see Nintendo games with maybe that level of graphics.

And considering how slowly this current gen is producing games it almost seems like Nintendo will catch up graphically eventually.

Reactions: Isa

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just give us two variations please, the home console at 20tl running games at 4k, and the portable at 2-4 tf. All games day and date like series S/X.

buenoblue

Never gonna happen but my dream would be close to Xbox series S portable, with an optional dock with an e GPU close to ps5. That way we could get ports of all the current gen games and the Nintendo goodness all on one machine.

Never gonna happen though

Because they offer greater flexibility than the competition.

Nintendo are not being "uninspired" by letting customers play in tabletop mode or portable mode. They are not being "cowardly" by offering decent battery life.

It's not just the case with their systems either, the GameCube and Xbox were both more powerful than the PS2. Power doesn't tend to be that important.
How do they offer "greater flexibility than the competition"?

You do know other companies offer gaming on the go, not just Nintendo?

You can can play most Xbox games via the cloud, Sony has similar offerings, there's the Steam deck, and top tier mobile devices that can offer an experience equal or superior to that of Nintendo.

Also, I don't know what battery life has to do with being "cowardly"

The word cowardly isn't meant to suggest Nintendo executives cowering under a table at corporate H.Q frightened out of their minds at the prospect of losing long battery life.

It's simply meant to suggest a lack of ambition, of having the courage to do something ground breaking.
Releasing, a piece of hardware that was already dated 10 years ago so everyone can play the same 5 games all over again is not ambitious.
That would mean offering some AAA developers would want to develop for.

Something that might allow Nintendo players the chance to experience something akin to Spiderman or Dead Space Remake at something approaching (at bare minimum) 1080-60.

But, no, alas, it'll be underpowered and ridiculously overpriced and it'll sell like hot cakes

Last edited:
So we are at the point where people complain how we need the "pro" models yet Nintendo gonna show up with 2014 power and its "great" . I get that they haven't raced against the competitors for graphics in decades but at the same time dont tell me you dont want to see Mario and Zelda games in all its glory versus 100s ways to try and sacrifice fidelity to keep it playable.

GAF - "Why doesn't Nintendo make a full-power home console!?"

Nintendo - Nintendo Switch sales top 125 million units.

Thats good for the company, not the consumer. They are literally in the mindset of why go hard when we can sell people 10 year old tech for the price of the new and port 5+ year old games for years. If anything, Nintendo is screwing its users and laughing to the bank.

New Zelda is literally updated open world map from a game that's 6 years old, can barely keep 30fps and charge you $70 because they can, not because it cost them so much.

Last edited:

Raploz

You can can play most Xbox games via the cloud, Sony has similar offerings, there's the Steam deck, and top tier mobile devices that can offer an experience equal or superior to that of Nintendo.

The word cowardly isn't meant to suggest Nintendo executives cowering under a table at corporate H.Q frightened out of their minds at the prospect of losing long battery life.

It's simply meant to suggest a lack of ambition, of having the courage to do something ground breaking.
Releasing, a piece of hardware that was already dated 10 years ago so everyone can play the same 5 games all over again is not ambitious.

Something that might allow Nintendo players the chance to experience something akin to Spiderman or Dead Space Remake at something approaching (at bare minimum) 1080-60.

But, no, alas, it'll be underpowered and ridiculously overpriced and it'll sell like hot cakes
Give an example of a magical chip that can reach at least Series S performance at 10-15 watts? No, the ROG Ally is not as fast as the SS and it consumes over 30 watts while barely beating a base PS4, all that while having less than 1:30h of battery life in the fastest mode. Even the latest iPad Pro (with the m1 chip) which is much bigger, uses a cutting edge chip, and costs a lot more can't come close to Series S in performance. Even the latest M2 chip from Apple, which is found only in laptops, not the iPads, consumes by itself 20 watts, without taking into account the screen, wi-fi, memory, etc, and cannot compete with the Series S. The 1st model of the Nintendo Switch only used at most 16.5w when docked for the WHOLE system (screen, controllers, wi-fi, etc).

What do people really expect? How do they think Nintendo could possibly release something at <500$ while being competitive with the current generation power-wise if even Apple who's the top dog in chip design can't on their $1000+ products? Even base PS4 is asking too much knowing how the Switch chip often used less than 10 watts alone. Please, people need to check their expectations and consider the current technological limits when talking about console specs.

Anyone that thinks that's possible is delusional.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The thing is, if you can't compete with current gen and won't get 3rd party support anyway from higher end studio's why even release a switch 2 just stick with the first one if it still sells.

Give an example of a magical chip that can reach at least Series S performance at 10-15 watts? No, the ROG Ally is not as fast as the SS and it consumes over 30 watts while barely beating a base PS4, all that while having less than 1:30h of battery life in the fastest mode. Even the latest iPad Pro (with the m1 chip) which is much bigger, uses a cutting edge chip, and costs a lot more can't come close to Series S in performance. Even the latest M2 chip from Apple, which is found only in laptops, not the iPads, consumes by itself 20 watts, without taking into account the screen, wi-fi, memory, etc, and cannot compete with the Series S. The 1st model of the Nintendo Switch only used at most 16.5w when docked for the WHOLE system (screen, controllers, wi-fi, etc).

What do people really expect? How do they think Nintendo could possibly release something at <500$ while being competitive with the current generation power-wise if even Apple who's the top dog in chip design can't on their $1000+ products? Even base PS4 is asking too much knowing how the Switch chip often used less than 10 watts alone. Please, people need to check their expectations and consider the current technological limits when talking about console specs.

Anyone that thinks that's possible is delusional.
Thing is, consumers don't care about any of that.

Banned
Give an example of a magical chip that can reach at least Series S performance at 10-15 watts?

they don't necessarily need to have a 15 watts chip that reaches Series S performance, they need a chip thats reaches Series S performance in docked, and then can be downclocked to have decent perfomance on the go at 15 watts power draw.

the Tegra Orin AGX can run at 40 watts and get basically on Series S level doing so (but also with DLSS and better RT cores available)
the question is, how well does that chip fare when power limited to 15-20 watts.

not saying that Nintendo would do this, but they could 🤷

Zannegan

But consumers also clearly don't care about your perceived lack of ambition either. His point is addressing your characterizations of a new mobile chip as "creaking with age" or "underpowered" when best in class components can't do what you're demanding Nintendo achieve with a system that will have to cost a fraction of what they do. Popularity-wise, consumers have clearly been happy with what the Switch offered, so a generational leap over that would be great.

What consumers care about has nothing to do with building hardware that has "merit," taking risks for risk's sake, or (laughably) doing the developers' talent justice. Of course no one prefers low-powered hardware, all other things being equal, but all other things are NOT equal. As the Switch's success over more powerful consoles shows (and even consoles' success over gaming PCs), when it comes to hardware, the form factor, convenience, price, and features matter far more than horsepower.

tr1p1ex

The greater flexibility is obvious. It's a tv/handheld/tabletop gaming hardware with detachable controllers all in one.

Why do you think SteamDeck exists in the first place? Why is Sony making a handheld peripheral for the PS5?

When you have others copying you it isn't because you lacked ambition. (it's the other way around.)

It is not ambitious to use the latest graphics chip possible. It's just expensive and power hungry.

Why would anyone who holds up resolution/frame rate as the end be all for gaming settle for a PS5/XSX when the pc exists?

Woopah

I was speaking their direct competitors, PS5 and Xbox Series. Switch enables people to play games in more ways than just on a TV screen, and the downside of that (plus Switch being older) is that the device is not as powerful as PS5 and Xbox Series.

I was trying to say is that ambition should not be tied directly to power. In 2019 Nintendo upgraded the internals of the Switch and they could have used that extra power to enhance its graphics. Instead they used it prolong battery life. I don't think one choice was any more ambition than the other

The bolded would definitely be a good thing, but only if its possible to create a hybrid device that can run something that that while also being able to be taken on the go, last several hours and be sold at the right price point. I don't think it shows a lack of ambition to sacrifice some power for flexibility and battery life.

But consumers also clearly don't care about your perceived lack of ambition either. His point is addressing your characterizations of a new mobile chip as "creaking with age" or "underpowered" when best in class components can't do what you're demanding Nintendo achieve with a system that will have to cost a fraction of what they do. Popularity-wise, consumers have clearly been happy with what the Switch offered, so a generational leap over that would be great.

What consumers care about has nothing to do with building hardware that has "merit," taking risks for risk's sake, or (laughably) doing the developers' talent justice. Of course no one prefers low-powered hardware, all other things being equal, but all other things are NOT equal. As the Switch's success over more powerful consoles shows (and even consoles' success over gaming PCs), when it comes to hardware, the form factor, convenience, price, and features matter far more than horsepower.
But, they do care, at least to some extent, hence the people in this one particular thread, in this one particular forum, highlighting people like myself who feel it's a missed opportunity, as well other forum users, content creators etc...who feel the same.

However, there is a fair amount of positivity too, I'll grant you that.

You find it (hilarious) that a console manufacturer would be interested in making something developers can be engaged with and give full voice to their ambition.

Perhaps, that's why Nintendo re-releases the same 5 games every generation.
You say "of course no one prefers low powered hardware"...but do you mean the customer, who you say isn't really bothered?
Or, do you mean the developers, who you say aren't really important in the decision making process?

Or, do you mean you?

I agree, by the way, but I'm just checking.

You effectively say that Nintendo can't produce a high performance system because things aren't equal...how so?

Is being absurdly profitable, with a dedicated fanbase, quality development teams, a solid reputation, and first rate purchasing power, holding them back somehow?

What are these "things" which make it unequal?

Last edited:
I was speaking their direct competitors, PS5 and Xbox Series. Switch enables people to play games in more ways than just on a TV screen, and the downside of that (plus Switch being older) is that the device is not as powerful as PS5 and Xbox Series.

I was trying to say is that ambition should not be tied directly to power. In 2019 Nintendo upgraded the internals of the Switch and they could have used that extra power to enhance its graphics. Instead they used it prolong battery life. I don't think one choice was any more ambition than the other

The bolded would definitely be a good thing, but only if its possible to create a hybrid device that can run something that that while also being able to be taken on the go, last several hours and be sold at the right price point. I don't think it shows a lack of ambition to sacrifice some power for flexibility and battery life.
You raise some good points, and I think my issue is not really understanding exactly what Nintendo are trying to achieve.

I still wish we could see stuff like Mario Kart in 4k60, or remastered versions of BoTW etc...at similar Res/Fps.

That's really all I was trying to get at.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well.....Xbox One and PS4 came out in 2013...so already 10 year old tech.........................good luck with that!

Last edited:

Gallard

Exactly. Thank you!

I suspect the ones voicing these unrealistic expectations are actually console warriors on the other team trying to throw shade. Nintendo fans haven't been on the power band wagon since Wii era 17 years ago. I'm excited as hell for what Nintendo is doing.

Thing is, reality and physics don't care about consumer expectations.

125 million Switches sold (beyond what PS4 has managed despite PS4's 4 year head start). Games like Terraria and Minecraft exist. Minecraft sells 4x what it does on Switch vs other platforms...

Are you certain you're in tuned with what consumers want?

When I said cowardly and uninspired, it meant afraid to take risks, to do something interesting.
Who gets to define what "interesting" is? 🤔

Because to me, what Nintendo is doing is very interesting.

You've voiced a lot of discontent about Nintendo's direction, but without regard for the limits of reality, pricing, or financial business sense... Can you concretely state what it is you want? It's either:
  1. A magic hybrid portable doing beyond what Apple does for $1000+ but priced under $500
  2. A stationary console like PS5 or XSX
Is it option 2? It sounds like you want option 2.

blacktout

I wouldn't bet on price point. $350 seemed steep when Nintendo announced the switch, but the market bore it without price cut for half a decade.

The Switch launched at $300. The OLED is $350, but that didn't release until 2021.

I'd bet that the Switch 2 is going to be $400. That's still $100 more than its predecessor, which seems in line with inflation and the fact that the OG Switch still hasn't received a price cut.

Last edited:
Switch 2 is gonna be a hybrid console again (anything else would be idiotic), so performance needs to be portable as well as affordable.

Also, the age of raw "hardware power" is over - deal with it! There has never been a console generation where it didn't matter less than right now.
To the vast majority of the gaming population everything looks "good enough", so diminishing returns in raw visual power are here.
Switch 2 is gonna be in a very good position therefore. Nintendo is going to offer PS4 level visuals on a hybrid console - and the vast majority will be satisfied.

If Switch 2 at least offers devs 8+GB of ram with over 100GB/s of bandwidth and an SSD then it will be fine.

Exede

Whatever Nintendo is brewing i'm buying it. I don't care if its xy teraflops, a 4k OLED screen, no screen at all or some other crazy stuff.
I will buy it to play the newest Nintendo games.

Banned
Well.....Xbox One and PS4 came out in 2013...so already 10 year old tech.........................good luck with that!

I know right? that new Samsung Galaxy phone also can't even get on PS4 level quality, old fucking outdated tech! all hose phones and tablets are so outdated! all that old ass tech... pfft...

Last edited:
All it has to be is a legit leap over the current Switch, which it will. The CPU will be massively better in comparison to the A57 cores in the current Switch. Memory bandwidth will likely see at least 4x increase as well.

Last edited:

Banned
I love how Nintendo fans are obsessed about DLSS.

As a snooty high-end PC gamer I have this to say: you're welcome.

I mean, could there be a more perfect use case for DLSS than using it to make a portable system look good on a 4K screen?

due to how good DLSS is, all you need is a 1080p base resolution to get a really good 4K image.
and if you really wanna push things, a base resolution of 800p to 900p would still result in pretty good quality.

even 720p to 4K looks alright... not amazing, but way better than what you'd expect from anything running at an internal 720p

and even better, DLAA. low resolutions in combination with TAA is often ugly as hell. that's one of the reasons Nintendo themselves barely use TAA, and at most will use FXAA or something along those lines.
so on the handheld screen, when the games will run at low resolutions, DLAA will help produce a nicer, less artifacty image.

DLSS and DLAA are a perfect fit for a Handheld Hybrid

Last edited:
Top Bottom