• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Assaults Kids for Wearing a MAGA Hat

Yep it's not on the federal to fix everyone's fuck ups.

Yep. To quote the 10th amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Somehow I don't think the constitution mentions the federal govt's role in fixing municipal water problems. :rolleyes:

The level of ignorance about basic govt/civics is frightening. I've seen polls where only 30% of adults could correctly name the vice president.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Somehow I don't think the constitution mentions the federal govt's role in fixing municipal water problems. :rolleyes:

The level of ignorance about basic govt/civics is frightening. I've seen polls where only 30% of adults could correctly name the vice president.

The constitution doesn't explicitly mention denying women the right to abortions either.

That aside you people don't seem to be able to comprehend the difference between powers and responsibilities.

States are given powers to act independently with the understanding that the union as a whole will be responsible for said actions.

So the US govt is responsible for the state of California's debt ? I don't think it works that way.

Yes.

It does work that way. States are giving free reign to act independently and when shit goes sideways it's the responsibility of the union to fix it.

There are various mechanisms in place to limit how much can go wrong (SCOTUS/DOJ)

Which is why shit is so dangerous when you have a single ideology running things.

As to the issue of the "debt" yes, states work within a structure of "pay in pay out and pay your bills" the US government does not.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned

Let me give you the peoples point of view. "You collect my taxes don't you, fix my water"

Yes.
It does work that way. States are giving free reign to act independently and when shit goes sideways it's the responsibility of the union to fix it.

I will disagree. California's debt is not the the responsibility of the federal govt. The states and the federal govt are equal and have different spheres of responsibility. Same with Puerto Rico. Lots of people wanted the federal govt to bail them out. The federal govt could do it, if the Congress passed a law and the POTUS signed it into law. But it's not a requirement. It's not "baked into the cake".

I will disagree. California's debt is not the the responsibility of the federal govt. The states and the federal govt are equal and have different spheres of responsibility. Same with Puerto Rico. Lots of people wanted the federal govt to bail them out. The federal govt could do it, if the Congress passed a law and the POTUS signed it into law. But it's not a requirement. It's not "baked into the cake".

It's so preposterous that the federal governement should help out american citizens!

FOH

Gander

Banned
Mr. Trump champion of the common man still has not fixed the water in Flint that is a easy win but he still won't do it.

Mr. Trump champion of the common man still has not fixed the water in Flint that is a easy win but he still won't do it.

The problem began under Obama. Why didn't he fix it, if it was so easy to do ?

Why did Flint disconnect from Detroit's water system ? That was the root cause of everything.

Gander

Banned
The problem began under Obama. Why didn't he fix it, if it was so easy to do ?

Why did Flint disconnect from Detroit's water system ? That was the root cause of everything.

Obama had congress fighting him on everything even their own ideas. Right now the GOP controls everything and can green light anything. Hell they damn near threw Trump a military parade and tried to drop everything to make that happen.

Top Bottom