• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFP: 'Splatoon' outdoes 'Smash Bros' in Japan (w/ Neogaf mention in article)

Doorman

If you told me a few years ago that Nintendo would be the ones to provide the breakthrough for online shooters in Japan, I wouldn't have believed it.

In a way I find it to be both surprising, and not surprising at all. It feels to me like most of the advancement of the modern shooter market has focused primarily on adding features on top of the existing online shooter framework. Different combat modes (even though Team Deathmatch seems to dominate most players' thinking anyway), different iterations of perk selection and loadouts and the like, and Splatoon does do some of that as well. But it also feels like it's taking the basics of the genre (move, aim, shoot) and starting from scratch from there. It uses a setting in large contrast with really any other major-market online shooter, and the mechanic of using ink for territory control, ammunition, stealth, and your primary means of movement all in one makes for a single resource to keep track of while performing a number of more advanced functions. As it pertains to Japan and younger players in particular, the fact that the game's core mode is not a simple deathmatch also goes a long way because the game encourages you to play and improve even without having to necessarily be great at direct confrontations with other players.

I guess what I mean is, you wouldn't think at first that Nintendo could make a hugely-successful online shooter because they haven't really done it before, but they did it by focusing on accessibility and bucking genre conventions in unusual-but-elegant ways, and that's an approach to design that's very Nintendo-esque.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its a nintendo game, marketed heavily, with moe girl characters.Its gonna sell in Japan.

IIRC, the marketing budget in Japan for Splaoot eclipsed every other game this year.

Son Of D

Even though I prefer Smash to Splatoon by a large amount, it's good to see a new IP sell this much. Especially on the Wii U of all things.

So, how soon until Splatoon main character is DLC in smash?

I'm thinking they'll be saved for Smash 5. I can imagine the marketing will have Inklings front and center.

Mubbed

Surprised they couldn't hold out a month to release the article for when Splatoon overtakes Smash Bros. in sales.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still amazed that nintendos first real crack at a shooter is this amazing. it's really pretty amazing. game is great. really look forward to how they will address a sequel as well, I bet they learned a ton from this outing.

I think i've probably clocked more hours into it easily than smash bros and I'm probably approaching mario kart time.

If you told me a few years ago that Nintendo would be the ones to provide the breakthrough for online shooters in Japan, I wouldn't have believed it.

Yup. Nintendo are the ones to make a super popular online shooter in Japan.

Hopefully this encourages other new larger budget IPs from Nintendo

Only months before Splatoon came Codename Steam. It's the worst selling Nintendo-published title in Japan since the GBA days. It didn’t sell well elsewhere either.

It's unfortunate as that game had more of a Western focus while Splatoon is heavily Japanese-influenced. I feel they'll take these results and produce more Japanese-influenced games that. Western ones.

herod

Nothing against Splatoon but Japan are kind of weird with their gaming tastes these days.

Unless it's mobile or some kind of Monster Hunter game, they don't really seem bothered.
Maybe Japan thinks you are weird, playing the same old cover shooters and racers for decades.

Capra

Can this mean more Amiibos.

I need a Callie & Marie double pack, also might as well throw in the shopkeepers and Spyke while you're at it.

I'm happy to hear how well Splatoon is doing; truly an inspired title.

I wouldn't so much agree that the mention is a sign of "how far NeoGAF has come" but rather how far the media has fallen. No offense.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah, it'll be the best selling home console game this year.

Not only this year, but of the intere generation. Splatoon is going to sell over Mario Kart 8, Mario Bros U for Wii U, and more than Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Quest XI for PS4...
Wonder if Splatoon will sell over 2,000,000 in Japan withouth digital. :O

tumblr_nm4mbvkxDL1ra1vfao1_400.gif

L95

Its a nintendo game, marketed heavily, with moe girl characters.Its gonna sell in Japan.

From my understanding, Inklings are pretty much the exact opposite of 'moe', personality wise.

I mean, I guess that one girl that runs the hat shop kinda fits that character profile? She's quiet, reserved, and shy, which the Inkling certainly are not lol.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
sörine;177663161 said:
Heroes broke 1m worldwide, it's around 800k Japan alone. Splatoon's guaranteed to outsell it.

Splatoon is already over 600,000 unit. It sold over 23,000 last week, and is going to increase thanks the holidays... There are 17 weeks to go, and Splatoon need to sell 11,764 unit all week for sell 800,000 in 2015... Splatoon will easy sell more.

At this point, Splatoon should be easy over 1,000,000 by end of 2015 in Japan, maybe even 1,200,000, and withouth digital... awesome. totally deserved. <3 :D

Infinite

Mario Kart had to cut the framerate in half after 2 players, & Smash 4 requires no split screen (though the models aren't as detailed as a result). Not to mention that 8-Player Smash cuts down on the bones of each character to get the game running at 60fps.

If Splatoon can't handle 2 players without cutting the framerate down to 30fps on the Wii U, I doubt that the NX Console can do 4 player split-screen without a framerate sacrifice.
Thought he meant local as in 8 people playing against each other with their own handhelds

ajcacio

Banned
I haven't played it but I'm really happy that a new IP did so well. I hope they don't pass up the opportunity to call the sequel:

Splatwon

B_Bech

Can you imagine Splatoons numbers had it been on the Wii? As an avid Splatoon player I can tell you there's an overwhelming amount of Japanese players. I'd go far as to say it's an 8:1 ratio. Then again, that could be skewed since I'm a high level and S-rank--which Japanese players tend to be.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Splatoon just incredibly took off in japan, I think this will lead to a anime eventually.

smurfx

get some go again
i remember many thinking it was going to bomb when it was released. glad those people were wrong. nintendo really needed new successful franchises.

You know I always thought this game would do okay, but not anywhere near how it's been selling (which is excellent relative to the Wii U and would still be fairly impressive on any other console).

All the people who were like "lol it'll sell worse than Wonderful 101" were just as dumb back then as they are now in retrospect.

Can't wait for Spla2n.

The Mii Fighter costume kinda makes me doubt Inklings will make it for Smash 4, but they're absolutely guaranteed for Smash 5.

I wouldn't be surprised if for Smash 5, we get Inkling Boy/Girl and then Callie & Marie as a tandem character like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt Dog..

Unlike Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, there's no handheld Splatoon game. I'm guessing that's part of the reason for this. That said, it's still very impressive.

Yep, that's the reason for why Smash Wii U underperformed in Japan. 3DS version cannibalized considerable sales from the Wii U version. If Wii U version was avaliable first, it would sell better and even boost hardware sales as well. 3DS version coming first destroyed that. Yep, some will say this was a "smart move" and sold a lot on 3DS, and Wii U is a "dead system", but eventually, compromised one of the biggest prospects for hardware sales on Wii U.

Splatoon being Wii U exclusive is a major reason for why the system got some attention in Japan at the moment. A 3DS version, if was made, would took any attention from Wii U, like what happened with Smash Bros.

ffdgh

Well deserved. Game is a blast.

Can this mean more Amiibos.

I need a Callie & Marie double pack, also might as well throw in the shopkeepers and Spyke while you're at it.

They'll be gone before they're even available.

Leatherface

I've already purchased a second Wii-U and another copy of Splatoon. This is how much love I have for this game. It's not only my GOTY so far but one of my absolute favorite Nintendo games in forever and when I say forever, I mean foreeeeeeever. :)

trixx

Do they even play smash in Japan. I mean seriously despite the sales I've barely heard of any serious tournaments and such coming out of there. One would expect a significant amount of competitive smash players coming from Japan. Splatoon on the other hand is usually filled with Japanese players. At the very least smash 3ds tournaments or something.

Splatoon's success is a godsend for Nintendo, proving to them that they can take risks in a new big retail new IP, rather than mostly put their faith in existing IPs and only try new things in minor eShop new IPs like Dillon and Pushmo (nothing wrong with them mind you).

Point is, I wonder if this will indeed make Nintendo more open to more even out their efforts in original IPs for retail ala Splatoon on a similar scale and more often as their current IPs. Also for them to try out new genres again like with Splatoon.

A new 3D platformer IP, and also a new JRPG IP would be wonderful, both are genres shockingly put on the back burner from Nintendo, yes we have Mario for the former (DK's retired after the first go) and stuff like Pokemon, Xenoblade, and FE for the latter, but more new IPs of those from EAD Kyoto/Tokyo, or a major partnership could be wonderful.

Example, how about reuniting Hirokazu Yasuhara with Arzest (Naoto Ohshima) and Prope (Yuji Naka) for a new 3D platformer IP? You'd have all the fathers of Sonic creating a new universe once again.

What can EAD Kyoto/Tokyo bring for a new JRPG? How about getting the director of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse who also directed the Atelier Iris series (didn't know that did you?) to direct an original JRPG? How about a Monolith and Mistwalker team-up for a new JRPG? How about 1UP-Studio, Brownies, and Grezzo for a Mana successor?

The possibilities are endless.

Snakeyes

Do they even play smash in Japan. I mean seriously despite the sales I've barely heard of any serious tournaments and such coming out of there. One would expect a significant amount of competitive smash players coming from Japan. Splatoon on the other hand is usually filled with Japanese players. At the very least smash 3ds tournaments or something.

As far as I understand, the competitive Japanese scene is centered around arcades. I've rarely seen a lot of Japanese representation in games that don't have an arcade version.

There was a thread about a massive tournament being announced a week or so ago

Ryng_tolu

Banned
i remember many thinking it was going to bomb when it was released. glad those people were wrong. nintendo really needed new successful franchises.

... I think are more incredible the people that STILL predict less than 3 million lifetime for this game... Oh jesus seriusly, 4 million at this point is absolutely the minimum!!!

The game should sell 5 million lifetime or so.

Nanashrew

Banned

IIRC, the marketing budget in Japan for Splaoot eclipsed every other game this year.

Marketing does seem good and the creator of Squid Girl was really excited for the game and they eventually collaborated. Characters are really well designed and feel different from other Nintendo games but I wouldn't call them moe. I'd also say that the game feels completely fresh and actually knows it's the year 2015, it has a connection to the urban culture of Japan because the young developers have that connection to that urban culture and style.

I'd say it does a lot of things right in establishing a connection to the youth of today on top good marketing and being a very unique and well made 3rd person shooter. And shooters often don't do very well in Japan to begin with.

--

On slightly different note It's also very competitive and this month it will be in a tournament alongside Puzzle & Dragons with 1 million dollars in prizes for the victors http://squidboards.com/threads/1-million-dollar-splatoon-tournament-announced.6646/

That's the largest tournament setting Splatoon has ever been in so far.

Astral Dog

Splatoon's success is a godsend for Nintendo, proving to them that they can take risks in a new big retail new IP, rather than mostly put their faith in existing IPs and only try new things in minor eShop new IPs like Dillon and Pushmo (nothing wrong with them mind you).

Point is, I wonder if this will indeed make Nintendo more open to more even out their efforts in original IPs for retail ala Splatoon on a similar scale and more often as their current IPs. Also for them to try out new genres again like with Splatoon.

A new 3D platformer IP, and also a new JRPG IP would be wonderful, both are genres shockingly put on the back burner from Nintendo, yes we have Mario for the former (DK's retired after the first go) and stuff like Pokemon, Xenoblade, and FE for the latter, but more new IPs of those from EAD Kyoto/Tokyo, or a major partnership could be wonderful.

Example, how about reuniting Hirokazu Yasuhara with Arzest (Naoto Ohshima) and Prope (Yuji Naka) for a new 3D platformer IP? You'd have all the fathers of Sonic creating a new universe once again.

What can EAD Kyoto/Tokyo bring for a new JRPG? How about getting the director of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse who also directed the Atelier Iris series (didn't know that did you?) to direct an original JRPG? How about a Monolith and Mistwalker team-up for a new JRPG? How about 1UP-Studio, Brownies, and Grezzo for a Mana successor?

Splatoon works because its a fresh take on a genre Nintendo never was familiar with, while they should take more risks with new ip as Splatoon showed, they also cant throw their proven games away.

jrpgs were released on Wii like Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandoras Tower(more or less) with modest success at best and Xenoblade getting a sequel, Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default (published) saw success on 3DS.

Other retail offerings like STEAM, that starfish game on DS, Wonderful 101 for example were failures.

the point is that they need to offer something new with the traditional Nintendo quality/image, not just something that competes with their traditional, established offerings.

Daschysta

Splatoon is mostly successful not just because of the characters being new (though thay certainly helps) but becausr the gameplay and mechanics are ao radically fresh, which justified a brand new IP, just like Pikmin before it. I don't think that a 3d platformer ayarring someone other than Mario just for the sake of having it be not Mario, unless the mechanics are radically different, would be smart or successful for example. Brand new genres that they haven't explored as much however? Sign me up for more new worlds and new splatoonesque innovation.

ivysaur12

Banned
You know I always thought this game would do okay, but not anywhere near how it's been selling (which is excellent relative to the Wii U and would still be fairly impressive on any other console).

All the people who were like "lol it'll sell worse than Wonderful 101" were just as dumb back then as they are now in retrospect.

Can't wait for Spla2n.

The wall of crow that got posted a while back about W101 level bombs was amazing.

If this was going to be so easy, then we would have seen much more new successful IPs. The truth is, Splatoon blew everyone's expectations because it's becoming huge, on Wii U, in 2015.

Top Bottom