• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI-powered translation has leveled up big time

Cyberpunkd

Upload a video. It generates a new video with matched voice and lip sync in the language you choose.

French feedback: it’s a simple and correct translation, but it uses very simple words and phrases, French people do not speak like this, especially better educated ones. I imagine German is even worse with Hochdeutsch, etc.

Alx

French is understandable, it does sound foreign though (in vocabulary/structure, and it also has a slight accent). Definitely better than basic auto translation, but it’s no Jodie Foster (my usual reference of an English speaker speaking perfect French :) )

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
French feedback: it’s a simple and correct translation, but it uses very simple words and phrases, French people do not speak like this, especially better educated ones. I imagine German is even worse with Hochdeutsch, etc.
French is understandable, it does sound foreign though (in vocabulary/structure, and it also has a slight accent). Definitely better than basic auto translation, but it’s no Jodie Foster (my usual reference of an English speaker speaking perfect French :) )
Thanks for evaluating! The translation itself is something that can be improved on straightforwardly by plugging in a better translator. The exciting part here is how it integrates as one package, with the speech recognition, translation, voice synthesis, and deepfake-style lip sync, to spit out a functional new video.

This is just a prototype from a startup. I'm sure within a few years it'll be ubiquitous on platforms like Youtube.

Ma-Yuan

It does translate certain things literally that make nonsense in German. Also the voice sounds or feels artificial to me which i didn't feel in the french version. But maybe native french speakers feel the same about their version.

FunkMiller

Now do Klingon.

Star Trek Laughing GIF

Toots

Gold Member

Upload a video. It generates a new video with matched voice and lip sync in the language you choose.

About the french part.
Really impressive mechanically.
Dude speaks rather slowly but it is french he speaks.
There's some faux-amis such as "to render" translated into "rendre" when it should have been "restituer" or "use it" translated rather litteraly into "utiliser ça" instead of "l'utiliser"
There's also a french canadian accent but i guess it's where they conceived the tech...
All in all the translator tool makes the same kind of mistakes any translator makes, but on the "making someone speak another language in real time" side, it is crazy impressive.

But maybe native french speakers feel the same about their version.
It does some rather unnatural in french also. Sounds like any text to speech tool.

ThisIsMyDog

Soon all tourists will be walking around with big googles on their heads and no one will be learning languages because it will just be a waste of time

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Soon all tourists will be walking around with big googles on their heads and no one will be learning languages because it will just be a waste of time

I don't think it's a waste of time to be able to actually learn and speak a language. It's a great work out for the brain to begin with. It's also a massive personal achievement.

Polish was one of the first languages I learned and it was incredibly difficult, far harder than French or Italian. However, the sense of accomplishment I felt when I finally nailed the language was unmatched.

Thaedolus

While this is certainly cool, all I can think about is how this type of tech will be abused by bad actors in the coming years…and honestly the language barrier is what makes travel a lot of fun sometimes 🫠

learning a language is a waste of time. i'm fine with technology breaking down language barriers. i'm not spending my time learning a language. i've tried and tried but it's too much time, effort, and trouble. i don't want to learn a whole language just so i can visit somewhere and not feel like an idiot trying to do the most basic things like find somewhere to take a shit, eat, or get around a city.

i'm more than happy to slap a headset on and have our AI overlords do all the work for me.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I need this for my rental properties, I speak English they do not so it would help to have real time translation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t know anything about French or German, but just going strictly on visuals at first glance it sure seems impressive.

Give it time to improve accurate translation and it’ll be even better. Will it ever get to perfect translation like a bilingual person who knows exactly the right slang, pitch and words? Maybe not? Maybe so? But at least the tool will be available for people aaa starting point to not just translate but to also look the part. One step closer to making it more natural speaking with people from different languages.

At some point this will be integrated into Ms Teams and such. So when you speak to people in a different place it’ll be translated best it can, and also look good too. Maybe some people will be freaked out because you are pretending to do it using AI but hey, some people will have no problem with it.

Thanks for evaluating! The translation itself is something that can be improved on straightforwardly by plugging in a better translator. The exciting part here is how it integrates as one package, with the speech recognition, translation, voice synthesis, and deepfake-style lip sync, to spit out a functional new video.

This is just a prototype from a startup. I'm sure within a few years it'll be ubiquitous on platforms like Youtube.

It would be awesome to have an AI powered assistant that helps with learning languages. I think I could spend all day with such a device, given it was also co-powered by ChatGPT, so I can get some kind of convos, once in awhile. Lol. Maybe ask it interesting questions, attempting to gain knowledge about other scientific subjects.
I've been getting more and more into science. It brings me peace within this chaotic landscape.

Mistake

Google live translation was a real game changer when I was traveling. Made reading menus hassle free.

Learning other languages will still be important for personal relationships though, especially business meetings where a lot of nuance happens and can hinge on them simply liking you

Urban

The German translation sounded right but words like "drop" were tranlated to "let it fall" aka fallenlassen. Still pretty impressive!

dave_d

Thinking back to the college version of me having a foreign language shoved down my figurative throat I hope all future college students use this technology to cheat their asses off in their foreign language classes. (Which for the vast majority of them will be a complete waste of time at best and at worst completely mess them up like it did to me. Yeah I'm not a happy camper over the foreign language requirement at my university, screw them.)

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
bro what? i am native french speaker and that is fucking insane

Jodi foster is indistinguishable from a native speaker

Durien

I spent 3 weeks in Japan and Google translate worked awesome. I can speak some but understand more. If I had a question about something, I typed it into Google translate, made sure the translation was correct (to the best of my ability) and showed it to the person. They would respond and I would acknowledge or further discuss using the phone. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom