• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Ozium

I was walking down a corridor and I see the alien like right in front of me looking the other way, so I crouched and slowly crawled into a corner.. he walked right next to me and then turned the opposite way so i crawled backwards while facing him as he walked down the corridor in the opposite direction..

like a wigwam and a tepee

I'm starting now the real game (with real stealth and combat) and damn it's hard. No magic radar, first person only, no magic melding with the shadows, hostiles that see you at a good distance, you die from two bullets, checkpoint save only...

I'm saying it's a hard game, which can be frustrating, and there shouldn't be problem with lowering the difficulty to normal. I think the Ign reviewer played on hard and without so much frustration on his part he would have liked the game more.
His own quote
And in hindsight, playing on Hard difficulty – which I only did because Isolation actually describes it as “the recommended way to experience the game” – was a terrible decision. I

ViviOggi

The Working Joes seem almost impossible to lose once they see you. Almost
I love how (on hard) they're just these unrelenting motherfuckers throwing you into walls and squishing your throat that aren't even worth engaging as they'll eat multiple revolver bullets with ease, and then you may have killed him but another one has heard the shots and already put you in a chokehold. Makes leaning back inside a locker and holding your breath while you see their expressionless android eyes shining through the grate pretty damn tense.

Krejlooc

Banned
Jeeze we're slow. 7 hours in to our oculus rift livestream the alien is now appearing constantly.

This has gone from trudge to suddenly horrifying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm in chapter ten or eleven, but maybe don't highlight unless you're done with the game?

I love how most of the androids after the initial restricted area are just friendly. I spent so long sneaking around some only to stumble into the path of another, to be greeted cheerily and then ignored. Doh.

frontovik

Banned
I'm at the level (halfway through the game) where
you have a meeting with Apollo. Being stuck in Working Joe Central is terrifying (they're even more freaky in hazmat suits)

I was pleasantly surprised to see an unlucky fellow in the Reception Quarter has a magazine stuffed down his throat.

Carm

Just finished Chapter 5 a few minutes ago. Got the special achievement for the chapter too. It was pretty intense, one time I snuck through a door and almost immediately it came the same way. Thankfully there was a box right there so I went behind it. The thing decides to keep coming, walks right past me a few steps and stops. I sneak and pray to another door opening right behind it surviving.

After almost finishing, I had a suspicion there was an important item I missed so I had to search again, found it thankfully. Would have been annoying missing out on that. This game saps me mentally, hard to play continuously for long periods. The music is surprising me a little, I had thought to turn it off for more immersion but it has been tolerable. I was worried I was gonna be bombarded with non stop sounds like in the Dead Space series.

The violins I guess, that start playing when it's near, bother me in a good way more than I expected. With that said, at least I can play it. I still haven't made it out of the starting area of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and I've had that since release.

On a amusing note, I started up this session and immediately saw this on the ground. I guess Ripley even freaks out when you're not playing heh. Gotta love bugs.
0luataL.jpg

Shawn128

I'll be getting this tomorrow. Should I play normal or hard? I can't get a good sense what everyone is choosing to play difficulty wise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Guy at work told me this is supposed to be crap because IGN gave it a low score...I corrected him :-D

I'll be getting this tomorrow. Should I play normal or hard? I can't get a good sense what everyone is choosing to play difficulty wise.

You can change the difficulty in the options menu, so whatever. Maybe start on hard and lower it when you are stuck in a place where you died several times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished chapter ten.

I ended up with my back to the airlock, flamethrower in one hand, motion detector in the other. Low health after the Xeno knocked me over once. I'd already died a few times before managing to "escape the lab" right after I used the security tuner to disengage the place. This was by far the furthest I'd made it through this scenario, and it just kept going. I was frantically switching between the flamethrower and the motion detector, trying to preempt movement where possible. I knew I could hide but I didn't want to risk it, I'd already spent most of the mission under the floor. He'd found me in there before.

As the alien dropped down from the vents for the last time, I pressed myself against the airlock door, motion detector blaring, and got through before it finished me. It wasn't until I was safely back on the Sevastopol that I realised I was out of flamethrower ammo. Was that scripted, or was it really just the perfect last escape moment?

I've never had such a reactionary, heart-pounded moment in a game before. As far as the whole dread/terror/horror thing goes, I've seen plenty of games absolutely nail the dread part and the inevitable moment of terror, but I can't call to mind a game that handles the aftermath --- the "horror" part -- as well as this game. I can't see myself replaying this any time soon, but it's one of the most memorable games I've played in quite a while.

Play this game.

Lime

I want to discuss the ending. Has there been made a plot/spoiler thread yet?

We all knew Samuels was an android right?

Yeah I think it was a given. Everyone on the crew already knows before the game even starts, so it would've been weird to have a moment of "
hey, Samuels is an android!
" to inform the player.

So glad I stuck with hard. I slowly figured out how to be efficient against the alien and now she has become much less of a threat (though I still pay for stupid mistakes).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Traded in a shitload of games worth not thing to me (RDR, Kane & Lynch 2, you know, old shit) and only had to pay $1 for Alien. Started tonite and played up to the first Alien encounter. Now struggling to get out of that area. Dis gun be good.

My only gripe so far is the on-screen text is really hard to read because the font is so small.

Taruranto

Damn, the
hive
section was fucking crazy.

Wait so I don't understand the need for a gigantic map. Is this game semi open world?

You generally move around following the markers on the map. Sometimes you'll go back to old areas and you can open old doors with the new tools you got, but that's it. Don't expect Metroid Prime or RE1-2 level design.

danwarb

How are people being found in lockers? I've yet to be discovered in one on hard difficuly. Maybe I'm not using them often enough. It's easier to keep moving.

ViviOggi

How are people being found in lockers? I've yet to be discovered in one on hard difficuly. Maybe I'm not using them often enough. It's easier to keep moving.

Either when they see you entering it (obviously) or they stop right in front of it checking the area. If you don't hold your breath and lean back in that situation they'll notice and pull you out.

I just love the share politeness of the Working Joes as they bash your skull in horrible but polite killers.
"I can't help you if I can't find you"

Need help. Pretty early on chapter 3.
how do you get past the big room with the 3 guys and the girl. Right where you pick up the access tuner. Can't get by then without being seen

So, I'm assuming I'm almost done with the game and so far it's taken me 25 plus hours, although steam says 20 I'd clock it at about 28ish or more in real time since Steam has issues tracking time for me and I played the game really slow because A: I love stealth games with ambiance, and B: The game so far is a grueling, terrifying exercise in horror and tension much like the movie the game is based on.

Anyway late, late amazing game spoilers:
I couldn't fucking believe that we end up going to a hive! And it looks even better than the one from Aliens visually, and so far it's interesting because there doesn't seem to be a queen which implies Egg Morphing ala Alien:DC unless the queen shows up at the end. Fun thing to point out is how the design of the eggs and the facehuggers themselves are movie accurate, right down to the creepy triple split rape tentacles, and not Aliens accurate but Accurate to the ones you'd see from the Derelict or expect from the original Alien. And yes, there are subtle differences in the designs between the various Facehuggers and Eggs used through the series. Alien had the best overall design for both the creature and the parasite, also holy shit fuck those facehuggers in the hive! They caught me unawares several times, even though I managed to burn them and even shot one before it almost got me and it splattered me with acid. Although once I died to the Alien, I reloaded just to see what would happen if you got facehugged, kind of a ritualistic thing I do with these games. It's gross and the noises they make are horrible, as are the noises the hive walls seem to make... it's like walking inside of a vagina or something if that makes sense. Graphically, I've never seen an Alien game look or play this good...ever.

Another non spoiler-y thing I love is how the motion tracker in this is like an inbetween version of the one from the first movie which was jury-rigged and the Colonial Marines variant.

Anyway, I love this fucking game! GOTY 2014 so far. The story fits so nicely into the canon thus far I wouldn't mind it being official, especially since that POS A:CM is supposedly official Canon and doesn't even begin to deserve it.

danwarb

Either when they see you entering it (obviously) or they stop right in front of it checking the area. If you don't hold your breath and lean back in that situation they'll notice and pull you out.

I've had the Alien and the androids right outside and didn't even know I could hold my breath, or how to. They always wonder off after a few seconds.

ViviOggi

how do you get past the big room with the 3 guys and the girl. Right where you pick up the access tuner. Can't get by then without being seen

First of all do not run back and save once they're searching for you like I did, makes the part unsolvable on hard as far as I'm concerned. If you've done that load up the previous save and continue from there.
Once you've triggered the woman's retreat by approaching her you'll have all the time in the world to scout the area if you want as the looters will only come looking for you after you've picked up the hacking device. When you're ready get the device, you'll hear her alarming her companions, immediately turn to the left and run up the stairs. Follow the pathway crouched, turn left at the wall and dispatch of the guy standing in the way with your wrench. From there you can just run down the stairwell, they won't follow you that far.

Terrible part all around.

I've had the Alien and the androids right outside and didn't even know I could hold my breath, or how to. They always wonder off after a few seconds.
Happened to me as well before I got the tooltip telling me to lean back/hold breath a bit later into the game, so it's possible that they've disabled that part of the AI's behavior in the beginning. If not that it could just be random and they don't always pick up on the signs, you said you don't use lockers much so maybe you just got lucky.

Mik3F

I did it this way
hid by the right hand stairs ad waited for the person to walk up the opposite stairs. Then go up the stairs and turn right at the top and follow all the way to the end, turn left and enter the door. It may take a few tries depending on the AI pattern

Scoot2005

Banned
Um that is Sigourney-for whatever reason there are pictures of Sigourney in most searches for her mother-

this is her mom Elizabeth Inglis:

the last 2 are from promo material for her movie 'The Letter' from 1940 she played alongside Bette Davis.

So while she looks similar-she does not look like a clone of her mother.

I looked at her pictures yesterday and got confused lol. Should have went with my gut and said no way she looks that similar.

Well, I finally met beasty, jesus christ, my pants a choc full of shit right now. I saw him walk one way, now he's dissapeared. Da fuq?....help

Dave_6

^LOL, I was watching that gif as it loaded (on my crappy work PC) and as soon as the alien was about to grab you, my browser crashed!

valkyre

It probably has been answered already, but please be kind.

I need GAF's advice in regards to the difficulty of the game. I am about to start and I was wondering whether hard or normal is the way to go. Usually I play games at hard mode, although that depends on the game.

My only concern is whether Hard difficulty is going to make the game extremely frustrating to the point you stop enjoying it.

So, is the game frustratingly hard in Hard mode with cheap deaths etc, or is it something that provides a decent challenge without putting you in rage mode?

First of all do not run back and save once they're searching for you like I did, makes the part unsolvable on hard as far as I'm concerned. If you've done that load up the previous save and continue from there.
Once you've triggered the woman's retreat by approaching her you'll have all the time in the world to scout the area if you want as the looters will only come looking for you after you've picked up the hacking device. When you're ready get the device, you'll hear her alarming her companions, immediately turn to the left and run up the stairs. Follow the pathway crouched, turn left at the wall and dispatch of the guy standing in the way with your wrench. From there you can just run down the stairwell, they won't follow you that far.

Terrible part all around.

well fuck, I did just that and overwrote my previous save. I havnt played a survival horror game in a long time and forgot the oldest rule in the book.

have multiple saves.

It probably has been answered already, but please be kind.

I need GAF's advice in regards to the difficulty of the game. I am about to start and I was wondering whether hard or normal is the way to go. Usually I play games at hard mode, although that depends on the game.

My only concern is whether Hard difficulty is going to make the game extremely frustrating to the point you stop enjoying it.

So, is the game frustratingly hard in Hard mode with cheap deaths etc, or is it something that provides a decent challenge without putting you in rage mode?

Do you want all the fucking achievements or not son?

To early in the game to be able to help you with that.

valkyre

Do you want all the fucking achievements or not son?

To early in the game to be able to help you with that.

Mostly I am interested in a solid experience. Challenging on the one hand but not an annoying one, were cheap deaths and cheap AI reactions are the norm. :)

Sh1ner

I know everyone is hating the aliasing but you can override the in game AA solution via Nvidia control panal or ATI Catalyst Control Centre.

I am using RadeonPro and got dynamic frame rate control, currently still configuring the Anisotropic filtering and type of AA and its strength without sacrificing 75fps.

I am not far at all in the game. Not seen anyone and I am already shitting my pants. Last night I had the worst sleep possible as I kept walking up to check my reality was not on the space station and i was dreaming about living on earth. :\ Screw you game messing with my head.

Anyone else think this game looks amazing? I don't own it yet but plan on picking it up soon, but watching videos e.t.c some of the tunnels and space ship sections look lifelike. Likewise with some of the aliens movements, when it drops out if a vent or slowly walks around, they really nailed the atmosphere.

I hope CA get to handle more future alien games .

Anyone else think this game loos amazing? I don't own it yet but plan on picking it up soon, but watching videos e.t.c some of the tunnels and space ship sections look lifelike. Likewise with some of the aliens movements, when it drops out if a vent or slowly walks around, they really nailed the atmosphere.

I hope CA get to handle more future alien games .

What? Like toilets?

BigDes

So apparently not all the alien attacks are insta death attacks

I tov'd the alien and he ran up to me punched me in the face and ran away

Ricker

Pretty much done with this...game should auto save everytime there is an update to your Objectives at least...Mission 6 is an exercise in trial and error,frustation and well not fun and from what I am reading it gets even worst later on so what's the use...I knew this would happen for me but hey I had fun until then...might try a few times again before I bring the rental back but I feel I am just wasting my time now.

Top Bottom