• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

So apparently not all the alien attacks are insta death attacks

I tov'd the alien and he ran up to me punched me in the face and ran away

I think I had one of these in Chapter 6, but the Alien never left the room, so I wasn't able to get away.

Do you have to recharge the stun baton somehow? I used it on an android and no I can't seem to be able to anymore. It just reads 0.

There are stun batteries lying around.

reaaaaaaally dumb question, but I'm very early in the game and I can't for the life of me figure out how to put an item away.
How can I stop holding stuff?

I've been running around with a fucking Medipack in my hand for 30 minutes (only because it's less visually intrusive than the flare) and it's driving me nuts. I've tried every button push/combo I can think of.

:/

After a cutscene my hands will be empty, but when I go to look at the map and return to the game I have a flare in my hand. Is this a glitch?

Do you have to recharge the stun baton somehow? I used it on an android and no I can't seem to be able to anymore. It just reads 0.

You need little charge packs to use it again.
reaaaaaaally dumb question, but I'm very early in the game and I can't for the life of me figure out how to put an item away.

I've been running around with a fucking Medipack in my hand for 30 minutes (only because it's less visually intrusive than the flare) and it's driving me nuts. I've tried every button push/combo I can think of.

After a cutscene my hands will be empty, but when I go to look at the map and return to the game I have a flare in my hand. Is this a glitch?

No idea, but it would have been good to know during my play through.

Taruranto

Finished.

Uh, the ending was rather... underwhelming, to say at least.

Which achievement is it ? I can't find anything in the official achievement list.

Yeah, after checking the achievement there is nothing like that. I guess it came from using the computer rather than the android hitting me. :X

ViviOggi

Don't think that's possible, was driving me nuts as well. Problem kind of solves itself once you get the revolver though, you only see that one when you're actively aiming.

Puts an ammo indicator above your health bar though

DukeBobby

You'll get the revolver soon which won't show in your hands unless you press the aim button.

Finished.

Uh, the ending was rather... underwhelming, to say at least.

After finishing Shadow of Mordor, any ending will seem like an improvement. The story hasn't been great so far (up to mission 11), so I'm not expecting much.

Thanks, guys.
Glad it's not just me being daft. :D

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Completely on edge and there isn't even any (apparent) danger yet.

Verger

Banned
For me, this game totally evokes the same sense of tension and dread that I can recall experiencing from System Shock 2. Obviously the parallels in the environment and setting are similar, being somewhat isolated on a space ship/station and hunted by various killers which are major threats.

Only thing its missing is the AI having a PA system like Xerxes. Though the Synthetics are close.

ViviOggi

For me, this game totally evokes the same sense of tension and dread that I can recall experiencing from System Shock 2. Obviously the parallels in the environment and setting are similar, being somewhat isolated on a space ship/station and hunted by various killers which are major threats.

Only thing its missing is the AI having a PA system like Xerxes. Though the Synthetics are close.

Yup getting serious SS2 vibes as well, it's amazing.

Audible

Banned
Never played this but had a nightmare about it. Getting chased by humanoids while having to hack doors and stuff. Scary.

Verger

Banned
Question about the motion tracker. I swear I keep hearing it beep even if I'm not holding it up in front of my face. Does it beep randomly? Or am I hearing things? Or is it something else?

derFeef

I have overcome the situation, now I am faced with the monster, and I can't move.
Does the music reflect how close the damn ting is?

ViviOggi

Question about the motion tracker. I swear I keep hearing it beep even if I'm not holding it up in front of my face. Does it beep randomly? Or am I hearing things? Or is it something else?
I think it beeps once whenever it picks up a new signal but don't quote me on this.

Most difficult part so far for me was the first encounter. Could not get past it for a few hours and the AI kept finding me no matter which hiding spot I was in. It does feel like hiding somewhere causes the AI to hone in on the area. It can get tedious but it feels great when you outsmart it.

What's funny is that, as relentless as the AI is, there are times when it doesn't notice anything. I turned on the air purification to cloud the area and the Alien walked right in front of me and nudged me out of the way to crawl into a vent.

The lighting at the end of San Cristobal is so damn amazing. It felt exactly like the end of Alien.

Raptomex

I love the first 2 movies and I'm somewhat intrigued by this game but what exactly do you do? What is the gameplay like? Do you just run and hide from the Alien and occassionaly attack it along with completing objectives? I assume there's a story. No multiplayer from what I found. Are there other modes? What is the replayability like?

Verger

Banned
By the way, how do I know what Chapter I am on? I don't recall seeing any cues for that yet. I am currently
after the part where I find out Samuels and Taylor are still alive, but I need to get to them

Grisby

By the way, how do I know what Chapter I am on? I don't recall seeing any cues for that yet. I am currently
after the part where I find out Samuels and Taylor are still alive, but I need to get to them
You can look at your trophies and achievements where it tells you what mission you have recently completed. Also, when you die I believe you can load up a previous mission or something like that (haven't tried that though).

I love the first 2 movies and I'm somewhat intrigued by this game but what exactly do you do? What is the gameplay like? Do you just run and hide from the Alien and occassionaly attack it along with completing objectives? I assume there's a story. No multiplayer from what I found. Are there other modes? What is the replayability like?

I don't have the game but I've been following a couple streamers play it through.

There's quite an in depth story where you're trying to figure out whats going on with the station, as well as survive various hazards.

Besides the campaign there is also a sort of "survival" mode where you're trapped in close quarters with the Alien and try to complete small objectives while trying to avoid the alien.

Apart from those I'm not sure what else the game offers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looking at videos online seems to suggest that the cutscenes are quite choppy even in footage from the PC version. Did they simply use pre-recorded videos for those sequences or are they really that poorly optimized?

Looking at videos online seems to suggest that the cutscenes are quite choppy even in footage from the PC version. Did they simply use pre-recorded videos for those sequences or are they really that poorly optimized?
They're prerecorded videos. Which makes the performance even weirder.

SOLDIER

I posted this question in two other threads but haven't gotten any response. Since I'm trying to achieve it in this game, maybe someone can finally help me out?

I have my PC monitor and my TV connected to my PC. This allows me to enjoy the benefits of PC gaming on my TV using Steam's Big Picture Mode, among other uses.

Recently I ran into an odd issue where my TV is listed incorrectly on my PC, as seen here. The icon that says "Denon" is supposed to be my Samsung LED TV; the Denon was my old PC monitor, while my current monitor is listed correctly (also a Samsung).

I believe this is keeping me from enjoying a downsampled resolution on my big TV, which I was able to achieve before without issue. I've tried finding ways to have my PC list my TV correctly, but haven't found a working solution. I'm hoping someone here can offer the best course of action.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're prerecorded videos. Which makes the performance even weirder.
Ah ha, that's what I thought. How weird.

They actually look to run worse in the videos I've seen of the PS4 version for some reason. It's really very strange. Surely they can fix this issue. They couldn't have included videos that were inherently borked, right?

ViviOggi

THAT RELIEF WHEN YOU SAFELY REACH A NEW SAVE TERMINAL

Also I swear if this fucker ever jumps me inside a vent I will just die irl

Zomba13

Pre-rendered. It's really really odd. Not only are they kinda choppy but the lip-syncing is awful and as with most pre-rendered video the actual quality is pretty bad. It's super jarring when the actual game runs so well in game (PC version for me) and looks so good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm still annoyed that the opening spaceship approach is pre-rendered. A later point to when you are outside of the space station for like all of 5 seconds is pre-rendered as well. It's like they didn't want to ever render the station as a whole in real-time. It would have looked amazing at 60 fps too :(

Neff

I'm still annoyed that the opening spaceship approach is pre-rendered. A later point to when you are outside of the space station for like all of 5 seconds is pre-rendered as well. It's like they didn't want to ever render the station as a whole in real-time. It would have looked amazing at 60 fps too :(

Whenever you peek out of a window the visible ship is a realtime 3D model rather than a flat bitmap. I was impressed.

derFeef

I would have explored the shit out of this.

Ozium

I've seen many comments about trying to get an achievement in Chapter 5... what achievement is this? I only see two for specific chapters in the list and neither are for chapter 5..

thanks

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
im supposed to be going in an elevator to get to
gemini labs
? what floor is the damn elevator on?

The area leading to the elevator is pretty much a giant U. You'll find it eventually, there is only one floor really.

I've seen many comments about trying to get an achievement in Chapter 5... what achievement is this? I only see two for specific chapters in the list and neither are for chapter 5..

thanks
Don't get killed by the alien once that chapter IIRC. It's not too bad since you can reload a checkpoint if he grabs you and still get it.

danwarb

Anyone else experience microstutter sometimes on the ps4 version? especially during cutscenes but also frequently during gameplay. The game freezes for a split second and it happens every so often. sort of doing my head in

Same happens on X1. I guess it has something to do with unified memory optimizations and loading. PC is butter smooth at similar spec. The difference there is dedicated VRAM and better CPUs.

Ozium

The area leading to the elevator is pretty much a giant U. You'll find it eventually, there is only one floor really.

Don't get killed by the alien once that chapter IIRC. It's not too bad since you can reload a checkpoint if he grabs you and still get it.

ok? then how do I have the achievement for clearing chapter 5 but not that one? I'm playhing on Hard.. if the alien ever grabs me/catches me, I'm dead and have to start up a save.. so if reloading a checkpoint is fine then ...

wat?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ok? then how do I have the achievement for clearing chapter 5 but not that one? I'm playhing on Hard.. if the alien ever grabs me/catches me, I'm dead and have to start up a save.. so if reloading a checkpoint is fine then ...

wat?

You have to reload the checkpoint the second he grabs you, not after you die.

Just be ready to hit the start button. It's usually pretty obvious when you are gonna get killed.

Ozium

You have to reload the checkpoint the second he grabs you, not after you die.

Just be ready to hit the start button. It's usually pretty obvious when you are gonna get killed.

oh noooooooooooooooooooo

so I get grabbed, hit escape and then load the save before he eats me?

Sajjaja

Yeah.....so I'm hiding in a cupboard, a Working Joe pulls me out and has me grabbed, I hear a hissing sound and running footsteps. I escape from the Joe only for the Alien to kill me.....yup........

I really enjoy how quick Ripley is to tell someone so shut the hell up when they start talking to her over the radio while she is in the thick of it. Her voice actress doesn't do a great job in the cutscenes or major in game dialogue sections, but she absolutely nails the stressed out whispers and general freaked out little sentences and such while playing

Top Bottom