• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Once you have the hack tool just go up the stairs they come down (before they come down) hide behind the box and right against the wall so they go past you then just sneak past the last guy at the far end of the walk way (by the objective door). Wait a bit and he'll turn around and go into the loungy room that is up the little steps. It's a straight shot to the door. Just be sure to crouch and not walk or run.

(I was playing on medium when I did this)

This worked, thanks.

I really hope this game improves, like you all claim, or I think I'll die of a broken heart.

[edit] What in the actual fuck. I LOCKED THE DOOR BEHIND ME to stop them from following, but I guess because it's a scripted event they can open it and follow me? That's lame as fucking hell.

Zomba13

This worked, thanks.

I really hope this game improves, like you all claim, or I think I'll die of a broken heart.

It does. That has been by far the worst room in the game for me (and I'm including diving head first into both DLC before even booting up the main game which is apparantly a bad idea).

It gets much better when dealing with other things and even humans in better environments.

[edit] What in the actual fuck. I LOCKED THE DOOR BEHIND ME to stop them from following, but I guess because it's a scripted event they can open it and follow me? That's lame as fucking hell.

That's weird. I just went all the way down the stairs and I heard them say something about how I must be down there but it didn't matter at that point.

Krejlooc

Banned
This worked, thanks.

You still have one more pretty annoying bit to go through before the real meat of the game begins. Spoilers but a general tip because it's not explained:

Eventually you'll have to sneak past a big obstacle course of synthetics patroling an area. They generally have piss poor vision compared to the eagle eyed humans, and they move along a set path, so just stand and watch them around corners and figure out their patrol path and you're fine.

The route I went on ended with a synthetic standing guard outside of a door I needed to pass through that just wouldn't move. That's when I figured out how to craft - hold the B button, move the stick to the item type you want to craft, then hold LB to bring up the crafting menu.

Keep searching for schematics and items to craft by, because crafting is super useful. An EMP bomb makes this segment go from frustrating to easy, just toss the bomb at the synthetic and run right past him.

After that, you-know-who shows up and the real game begins.

Lime

This worked, thanks.

I really hope this game improves, like you all claim, or I think I'll die of a broken heart

If you're not digging the atmosphere, the visuals, the sound design, the organic alien encounters, the stealth, etc, I'm not sure you'll like the rest of the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you're not digging the atmosphere, the visuals, the sound design, the organic alien encounters, the stealth, etc, I'm not sure you'll like the rest of the game.

I am digging the atmosphere, visuals, and sound design. The stealth so far has been frustrating. I haven't reached the alien properly.

H2Yo

I watched some of the quicklook for this on Giant Bomb and it sucks that Amanda Ripley has such woeful voice acting.

DukeBobby

This worked, thanks.

There are very few human encounters on this game, and you can use the alien to your advantage for most of them.

Once you're past that section, it's smooth sailing.

You still have one more pretty annoying bit to go through before the real meat of the game begins. Spoilers but a general tip because it's not explained:

Eventually you'll have to sneak past a big obstacle course of synthetics patroling an area. They generally have piss poor vision compared to the eagle eyed humans, and they move along a set path, so just stand and watch them around corners and figure out their patrol path and you're fine.

The route I went on ended with a synthetic standing guard outside of a door I needed to pass through that just wouldn't move. That's when I figured out how to craft - hold the B button, move the stick to the item type you want to craft, then hold LB to bring up the crafting menu.

Keep searching for schematics and items to craft by, because crafting is super useful. An EMP bomb makes this segment go from frustrating to easy, just toss the bomb at the synthetic and run right past him.

After that, you-know-who shows up and the real game begins.
He who must not be named.

Having some fun, but wish the devs made the alien part move a bit faster. The humans at the beginning made me roll my eyes. I caved in and bought this due to postive impressions from my friends.
This will tame my horror game itch until TEW.

I haven't picked this up yet, is the alien "introduced" or does he just show up and hunt you with no warning because that seems weird but what some people are saying.

Lime

I watched some of the quicklook for this on Giant Bomb and it sucks that Amanda Ripley has such woeful voice acting.

How so? I thought she did a good job in the context of the story and setting with her being emotionally and physically strained? Maybe I'm just not very good at detecting it as a non-native English speaker.

I haven't picked this up yet, is the alien "introduced" or does he just show up and hunt you with no warning because that seems weird but what some people are saying.

It
takes a while before it gets introduced.

Spoo

I'm nearing the end of this (I want to say I'm on chapter 16 or so), and I'm constantly impressed by how large the game is, and how it keeps things fresh even when there really aren't a lot of elements at play at any one time. Most of it is surely atmospheric, and just hitting. every. single. note. But the rest is slightly new dynamics coming into play just at the right time.

I know some people feel differently about the latter half or so of the game, and I think I understand why, but I feel like it's all so impressive that that second half is there, and that it's not a complete drag -- far from it, it all feels potent, relevant, and some of it is frankly much scarier than anything you'll experience early on (which seems counter-intuitive to how horror games tend to go).

Granted, I'm playing on hard, but each level has averaged out to about 45 minutes or so (some outliers at more than 1 hour for sure). Alien: Isolation is nothing if not a beefy-sized FPS game. One that, I'm pretty surprised to say, now easily sits in my Top 5.

Played the game for a second hour today with the Oculus Rift DK2. Things are starting to pick up a little. I had my first real scare when
the area up that small staircase had its lights go out and a figure ran past. I just got the maintenance tool.

Anyway, I searched the Internet but just wanted to make sure, but is there no way to unequip an item? I don't like walking around with my flare or medkit and would like to put them away. I read that this can be sort of resolved after getting the
revolver or whatever
. I am playing on the PC with an Xbox 360 controller.

And the lighting! And the sound design! And the textures! It's just so good.

Yes to all lol the lighting is especially impressive, I've said for years that good lighting helps a horror game a lot

It's one of the most immersive experiences I've had. It's incredibly consistent in its design and style.

CHC

Ohhhhh man the part on the
planet
!! So fucking good.... Anyone who says this campaign is repetitive or boring is so full of it. There might not be a lot of shooting galleries but they really keep it fresh, I don't feel like any one part has worn out its welcome.

At this point if I had any criticism at all it would be that the objectives can feel a bit disconnected from the story (ie; fix this, get that, get to here) and it's kind of easy to forget why you're doing what you are. But its a minor thing that plenty of game suffer from... and holy hell is this game the playable Alien movie we've always wanted.

part of the reason we got stuck for an hour and a half at that segment is we went back and saved after triggering the group. Sneaking into the room and up the stairs when they're patroling is infuriatingly difficult. You pretty much have to do it all in one swoop.

Same here. Saved after the picking up the item and then the room was swarmed with four humans with no way to sneak past them. Had to lure them out one by one using the speaker system reroute and melee-d each one to death.

I switched to Medium pretty soon after the
Alien was introduced
I died 5 or 6 times prior to the switch. Pretty much every time the Alien would find me immediately under one of the beds. Medium seems to hit a perfect balance of pretty difficult AI, but not overly magnetized. But man, this game has me on the edge the entire time. You don't want to move because your scared of being found, but if you sit to long the Alien will eventually find you. You don't want to walk/run in fear of being heard, but if you crouch walk to long you won't make any progress and the Alien will catch you. It's a really nice balance so far.

Ricker

I tried about 10 times to head to the exit at the end of Mission 6 and I finally thought I found a way but no, on the way,the Alien always gets me from the ceiling,which is untrackable...everytime I have to restart the big machine in that room,kill the Joe,bla bla,bla...so annoying.

Bydobob

F- me, I just
got pulled out of an air vent thinking I was safe,
shock of my life that was! Seriously impressed with the AI of this game, on hard at least. What difficulty is everyone else playing on?

Anyway that's it for me tonight, 4 hours of tension with barely a let-up can't be good for my ticker. This game certainly does its job, I'll give it that.

Cudder

I just got the revolver and called it a night. Such a cool game. Environments and sound design are stellar.

After
Axel dies,
is that the point where the Alien starts roaming around? The part right after that when you call for a tram and it takes like a minute just to get there so the door open, all the while the sound and music are ramping up making it seem like some things about to happen was super scary. Once I got on the tram I didn't confirm my destination right away, and as I looked behind me I saw the Alien sprinting towards me. My first death by Alien, totally unexpected.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I just got the revolver and called it a night. Such a cool game. Environments and sound design are stellar.

After
Axel dies,
is that the point where the Alien starts roaming around? The part right after that when you call for a tram and it takes like a minute just to get there so the door open, all the while the sound and music are ramping up making it seem like some things about to happen was super scary. Once I got on the tram I didn't confirm my destination right away, and as I looked behind me I saw the Alien sprinting towards me. My first death by Alien, totally unexpected.

I just got the revolver as well.

Did the alien sprints towards the tram? Lol I activated the switch and crouched in a corner, didn't see it I guess.

Edit: What's up with the cameras following me? I rerouted their power but they appear to still be on?

Cudder

I just got the revolver as well.

Did the alien sprints towards the tram? Lol I activated the switch and crouched in a corner, didn't see it I guess.

Edit: What's up with the cameras following me? I rerouted their power but they appear to still be on?
yeah he sprinted right at the tram killing me inside lol. I didn't hit the button to close the door and get to your destination right away. I was looking around the tram, next thing I see is Alien hauling ass right at me.

Krejlooc

Banned
I think the scariest thing I've ever seen is the Alien sprinting down the hall while your crouched under a bed.

There were so many moments in VR where I thought for sure I was dead. Multiple times I'd be crouched down, looking up at the alien directly in front of me, and just start closing my eyes expecting to get killed.

So incredibly fucking tense. The alien is enormous in VR, that thing truly would be horrifying to run into. It's so big.

ChawlieTheFair

yeah he sprinted right at the tram killing me inside lol. I didn't hit the button to close the door and get to your destination right away. I was looking around the tram, next thing I see is Alien hauling ass right at me.

So is he in play in the next area lol? I've just been walking around assuming I saw safe.

Chabbles

I've just now realized minus-com have went from 15mb to 5mb max file size... =[

I give you "happy alien, angry alien"
igdphjwSzxYkZ.gif

Krejlooc

Banned
I've just now realized minus-com have went from 15mb to 5mb max file size... =[

I give you "happy alien, angry alien"
igdphjwSzxYkZ.gif

Being pinned down like that is one of the most disturbing things in the game. One of the deaths
from a synthetic
was really uncomfortable because of that. My least favorite way to die thus far.

dukeoflegs

Not sure if anyone has commented on this but during cinematics I get bad frame rate/ stuttering video. Is anyone else getting this? I'm on PS4.

Miguel81

I'm there with you. I started playing Tuesday. Played the first couple hour and I can't just can't go back into the gain. It's like some shitfest anxiety I have with the game or whatever. Ugh.

You must embrace the anxiety, man. That's how you play through these horror games.

ChawlieTheFair

I'm there with you. I started playing Tuesday. Played the first couple hour and I can't just can't go back into the gain. It's like some shitfest anxiety I have with the game or whatever. Ugh.

Seriously, I have only been able to play like 30-40 min a day.

I assume from that point onward seeing the Alien roam is fair game. I didn't see it directly in the next area though..

I assumed he would come in at some point (all those lockers and shit) but I just figured I hadn't hit the "trigger" room/area yet. Now I'm scared lol.

Not sure if anyone has commented on this but during cinematics I get bad frame rate/ stuttering video. Is anyone else getting this? I'm on PS4.

Yeah it's been a pretty big point of complaint from many people. it's even on the PC version which goes from 60 to dog shit really fast for cutscenes

Zomba13

I have to say I've been coping with the game much better than Amnesia or other survival horror games. I feel there are less jump scares and more tense moments than most scary games and the Alien design while intimidating doesn't freak me out or scare me as much as some other monsters. Like, the androids freak me out, they are creepy.

I'm legit enjoying playing this game while something like Amnesia was super scary and I kinda read a walk-through on what to do before playing each session to get through as quickly as possible because it was so fucking scary. This one though, it's challenging in some areas and super tense hiding from the Alien and other things but not as scary to me.

I'm right at the start of Chapter 8 I think.

Made it to Ch 10. Ch 9 was awesome! Im really digging it so far. From what i gather here Ch 10 is really intense?

Can any one give me an idea on how intense cause i need to watch my heart rate lol.

The end of Ch6 was so stressful that I could feel my heart rate in my throat lol. Game is defenitly something.

Top Bottom