• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

In every stealth games people lament about how the IA is so predictable and or stupid. Now that a game like this exist to finally make things more realistic, scarier then ever, people act frustrated. And this make me smile

The first encounter with anemies on hard... Is hard, but not so hard. And the game make such a good job to let you know trough sounds where's the enemies are, or if the alien is around. Headphone or a good sorround setup is what you need to just close your eyes and rely completely at your hearing, and this is so cool and awesome and fun and, of course, so fucking scary!

Gamers need to get better, because I'm pretty tired of those corridor games with no gameplay aside of a bunch of weapons. Gamers need to learn to use L1 to look around obstacles when in cover, and start lookind at the enourmous quantity of visual hints the game throws at you.

Yes, I really love this game. It's a shame if all this amazing works ends up in the bargain bin too soon.

Shame on you IGN

thumb

Banned
How so? I thought she did a good job in the context of the story and setting with her being emotionally and physically strained? Maybe I'm just not very good at detecting it as a non-native English speaker.

I'm enjoying her voice acting. Seems fine so far.

Krejlooc

Banned
In every stealth games people lament about how the IA is so predictable and or stupid. Now that a game like this exist to finally make things more realistic, scarier then ever, people act frustrated. And this make me smile

I fucking love the alien in this game. This is probably the most enjoyable stealth gameplay I've experienced. Being hunted by the alien is incredible. I love how random it is.

Zeliard

btw did this part startle anyone else? Trying to be vague about it:

i5h6oIhXSi8pe.png

Skyzard

Banned
Watched Alien for the first time then started playing this game. Not finished yet...can I watch Aliens? Or should I finish the game for maximum story effect for the franchise overall?

DukeBobby

Just finished chapter 12.

I'm actually really enjoying these alien-free missions. I do love the androids, though. That part where you set the fire trap was so good.

Slowdive

Banned
I have to say I've been coping with the game much better than Amnesia or other survival horror games. I feel there are less jump scares and more tense moments than most scary games and the Alien design while intimidating doesn't freak me out or scare me as much as some other monsters. Like, the androids freak me out, they are creepy.

I'm legit enjoying playing this game while something like Amnesia was super scary and I kinda read a walk-through on what to do before playing each session to get through as quickly as possible because it was so fucking scary. This one though, it's challenging in some areas and super tense hiding from the Alien and other things but not as scary to me.

I'm right at the start of Chapter 8 I think.

Same here. I'm glad it's not as scary as I thought it would be.

Krejlooc

Banned
Watched Alien for the first time then started playing this game. Not finished yet...can I watch Aliens? Or should I finish the game for maximum story effect for the franchise overall?

You should see all the movies before playing this. This game assumes the viewer has knowledge of the future films for subtle throwbacks and call outs.

You should see all the movies before playing this. This game assumes the viewer has knowledge of the future films for subtle throwbacks and call outs.

Maybe I haven't gotten that far in the game, but so far as I can tell, I haven't seen or heard anything that references ANYTHING past just ALIEN.

You can just watch ALIEN and essentially be in the same place Amanda is when the game starts. Well - she's less well off than you, since she doesn't really know what happened to her mother. But the design, pacing and atmosphere is all ALIEN. You don't really need to watch anything beyond that movie to "get" this game.

jett

D-Member
This game is INTENSE! Also, it looks absolutely amazing. It's some sort of artistic achievement in gaming. Runs so well too, unflinching 60fps. I can only imagine the VR experience.

Those androids creep me the fuck out.

Zomba13

btw did this part startle anyone else? Trying to be vague about it:

http://i6.minus.com/i5h6oIhXSi8pe.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I saw that but it didn't happen to me because I'm careful (also known as I saw it, thought "neat" and promptly crawled away into another room).

[quote="Skyzard, post: 133700441"]Watched Alien for the first time then started playing this game. Not finished yet...can I watch Aliens? Or should I finish the game for maximum story effect for the franchise overall?[/QUOTE]

I'd say you just need Alien to appreciate the game. Aliens is good too, nothing is spoiled or ruined one way or another which way you handle it (this first or Aliens, at least to my knowledge). Only Alien stuff I've seen has been Alien, Aliens and Prometheus. I did have the Alien 3 game on the mega drive some how but had no context for anything (hadn't seen the films) and thought it was super scary though and was my first encounter with the Xenomorph design.

shiba5

I tried about 10 times to head to the exit at the end of Mission 6 and I finally thought I found a way but no, on the way,the Alien always gets me from the ceiling,which is untrackable...everytime I have to restart the big machine in that room,kill the Joe,bla bla,bla...so annoying.

Just skirt around the holes. There will be drool coming out of the one he's hanging over, but as long as you don't walk under it you're fine.

shiba5

Made it to Ch 10. Ch 9 was awesome! Im really digging it so far. From what i gather here Ch 10 is really intense?

Can any one give me an idea on how intense cause i need to watch my heart rate lol.

The end of Ch6 was so stressful that I could feel my heart rate in my throat lol. Game is defenitly something.

I got halfway through 10 with no deaths, just cruising along, and then an explosion nearly gave me a heart attack, and that was it for me. I couldn't even work up to playing it today. I LOVE the game, but the tension it creates in me is unpleasant. Never had a game, or any media, have this sort of effect on me. CA really built something amazing. I just don't know if I can handle it.

ezekial45

Banned
Really loving the android design

ivGyRLca9OPfk.png
Yeah, they're amazing. Whoever wrote their dialog should get a bonus. The shit they say is incredibly bizarre, and very intimidating. These are my favorite lines.

"I think you and I are going to have a problem!"

"You're being hysterical."

"Let me help you!"

"Ask me out about my safety protocols."

"Please come out of the vent!"

Carm

I tried about 10 times to head to the exit at the end of Mission 6 and I finally thought I found a way but no, on the way,the Alien always gets me from the ceiling,which is untrackable...everytime I have to restart the big machine in that room,kill the Joe,bla bla,bla...so annoying.

Hrm, are you being pulled into ceiling vents? If so, you're not staying away from them when moving and watch for the dripping spit. The Joe doesn't have to be killed, easily avoided. Never saw the Alien in that section to move on to next mission.

Close to end of Mission 7, just making way to exit, which seems the most annoying part. Mission felt like a breather after 5/6.

Yeah, they're amazing. Whoever wrote their dialog should get a bonus. The shit they say is incredibly bizarre, and very intimidating. These are my favorite lines.

"I think you and I are going to have a problem!"

"You're being hysterical."

"Let me help you!"

"Ask me out about my safety protocols."

"Please come out of the vent!"
I wanna say the ones where I'm at have some new lines. I haven't heard 'em before.

"Are you playing a game with me?"

Krejlooc

Banned
I was hiding in a locker once, and one of them came and stood right out side and was like looking into the locker, and he goes "I know you're hiding in there. Please come out." and just stands there. I don't move an inch and several moments later he finally walks away.

So tense.

I was hiding in a locker once, and one of them came and stood right out side and was like looking into the locker, and he goes "I know you're hiding in there. Please come out." and just stands there. I don't move an inch and several moments later he finally walks away.

So tense.
Dude, I swear they know exactly where you're hiding but just let you get away. Every time I hide in a locker, or behind something, they stare RIGHT AT ME. They don't bother to come check, but they just stare. It freaks me the hell out.
"Come out...come out...where ever you are."
Oh shit.

Zomba13

Dude, I swear they know exactly where you're hiding but just let you get away. Every time I hide in a locker, or behind something, they stare RIGHT AT ME. They don't bother to come check, but they just stare. It freaks me the hell out.

They know where you are but are just very disappointed in you and not going to sink to your childish level. You need to grow up and stop playing in vents, daddy android has had a very long day and just wants some peace and quiet.

They know where you are but are just very disappointed in you and not going to sink to your childish level. You need to grow up and stop playing in vents, daddy android has had a very long day and just wants some peace and quiet.
That might be why I've had friendly Joes pull me out of lockers or carts and beat me when they see me going into them.

"DAMMIT AMANDA, I RAISED YOU BETTER THAN THIS"

Zeliard

Hahah I do love how cavalier they are about the whole thing.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hahah I do love how cavalier they are about the whole thing.

"Please do not run." is the worst they've said to me as I fly by them and the Alien farther behind me.

I'm pretty sure the scariest part in the game so far was when one of them went all HAL 9000 on the first victim you encounter from behind the vents.

Really loving the android design

ivGyRLca9OPfk.png

You know I didn't anticipate these guys to be so frightening and well done, then again I've always found Ash kinda unnerving as well, just for the sheer fact that he looks like a real person but he isn't.

The sense of dread that fills me when I see one of these bastards is almost as bad as when I see
facehuggers

The thing I love about them the most is how menacing they are, they remind me of easier to kill terminators that are super fucking creepy synthetic turkey neck mannequin freaky murder machines.

"Stop running, I will catch you."

just finished chapter 5. was so stressed out by the end that i had to shut it off and play some drive club to ease my mind lol

never had a game do that to me before, this game is intense

i'm playing on normal to avoid frustration and so far so good

About to kick off my playthrough, PS4 version. Hoping this is pretty solid. What's the overall consensus on here so far in terms of quality?

About to kick off my playthrough, PS4 version. Hoping this is pretty solid. What's the overall consensus on here so far in terms of quality?

Horrible cut-scenes and awesome gameplay
If you can, play with a pair of good headphone or sorround setup because sound is really well done/important

Go hard and never look back

Horrible cut-scenes and awesome gameplay
If you can, play with a pair of good headphone or sorround setup because sound is really well done/important

Go hard and never look back

I'm rocking the Sony Gold's they should get the job done. So far I'm liking them, only complaint is they could use a tad more bass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished chapter twelve. I probably sound like a broken record, but man, this game. This game.

Just finished chapter 12.

I'm actually really enjoying these alien-free missions. I do love the androids, though. That part where you set the fire trap was so good.

Yeah, this has been such a nice change of pace after the... after that moment earlier.

Thriller

I am enjoying this game very much so far. I must say that I miss an actual instruction manual in the actual game-case though.

I prefer reading through things on paper than reading them off-screen but hey whatcha gonna do.

At first I found it very unclear what the scrap was for and I am not entirely sure that I do know it now. Is there anyone that can explain this to me.

I just passed the point where ( like the pictures show above) that one android is laying around. I guess I still have a long way to go?

So I bought this game but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can someone answer this question with a simple yes or no: do they explain why the androids in this game don't look like normal people? It's quite a difference from the movies, in which androids were nearly indistinguishable from people.

A simple yes or no is all that I need.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought this game but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can someone answer this question with a simple yes or no: do they explain why the androids in this game don't look like normal people? It's quite a difference from the movies, in which androids were nearly indistinguishable from people.

Yes. Fictionally justified in some pretty cool ways.

Yes.

Top Bottom