• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, Hard or Normal people? Can you enjoy it on hard, or is it going to be full of cheap deaths and requires an unfair amount of luck?

I'm playing on Normal and I'm finding the game to be... appropriately tense.

So, Hard or Normal people? Can you enjoy it on hard, or is it going to be full of cheap deaths and requires an unfair amount of luck?
Nah, but humans take you out quick. They give you a lot of supples on all 3 though. I needed pathing luck on a few areas on hard, but besides those small few everything was fine. The Alien becomes a pushover once you get the
flamethrower

Finished it tonight, at first I wasn't feeling it too much, but after getting to about Chapter 8 I got really into it. It just clicked with me at that point and I was totally immersed. Such a pleasant surprise of a game for me.

-Deimos

So the tracker is actually pretty useless most of the time since the alien is so loud, at least if you have a good sound setup. Anyone else stop using it after the initial encounter in chapter
five?

Not to mention the fact that the alien can supposedly hear the beeping.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So the tracker is actually pretty useless most of the time since the alien is so loud, at least if you have a good sound setup. Anyone else stop using it after the initial encounter in chapter
five?

I generally use it as my "is it safe to stand up?"-ometer.

five?

Yeah, hiding under a desk while cradling the motion tracker was more comforting than useful.

DarkFlow

Banned
five?

I only really use it to track people and androids.

i have only used the tracker 3-4 times during my play through. i was mostly listening to the alien running in the vents/making noise as an indicator of when to hide/avoid it. this game is absolutely intense.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is the best Alien game that has ever been made. It relies primarily on the aesthetics and atmosphere of the first Alien film with very similar pacing and tone, as well as the approach to the monster. The love and detail going into the level design and the enemies, along with plenty of callbacks to the original film really show how much Creative Assembly have cared about the universe and the values in the original Alien. Moreover, the mechanics and gameplay similarly don't rely on action at all to interest the player, but instead they methodically lure you into its setting and atmosphere with some amazing sound design.

It is currently my GOTY and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years.

EDIT: Like someone on CA's forum wrote yesterday:

This echoes my sentiments about the game as well.

It's the best Alien-related product in a good long while.

This feels like it could be a film.

Whelp. Ordered, along with the Alien Anthology Bluray set. They will be here Monday.

Linconan

Just Completed Alien: Isolation Story.. wow.
Awesome game! Loved every minute of it!
*wipes sweat*

Now, i can hit the Crew Expendable and Lone Survivor.
And Survivor Mode.

derFeef

Im having Alien related dreams. :/

image.php

?

frontovik

Banned
I've finally got to the section (Ch.16)
where you've finally re-established satellite communications with the Torrens and discover that Ricardo has been paralyzed by a facehugger. Unfortunately, I am low on ammunition as I had used most of it inside the deep core of the Apollo - the alien hive was terrifying!

Story discussion (late game):

The writers have done a fantastic job with the story. It's well thought out and there's no glaring plot holes from what I've observed. They've covered the origins of the outbreak quite nicely, I can understand Marlow's reasons for wanting to bring Foster into Sevastopol and using the Nostromo's flight recorder as leverage. There should've been a flashback chapter where you play as a crew member on the Sevastopol and end in the Operating Room when the chestburster kills Foster.

The supporting characters could've used more development as well, I would've liked to see more interaction with Samuels and Taylor.

Has anyone been able to acquire any of the Nostromo logs though? I haven't found a single one thus far.

the mark

How is the "last-gen version" of the game? I'm planning to buy a ps4 when Bloodborne arrives, but I want to play this game. What do you think...wait and play it on PS4 or play it now on PS3?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need advice for Chapter 14.

Is hiding at all effective here, or is guns-blazing the name of the game?

Never mind. I made it.

Fuck me guys, can you please start spoiler tagging shit or can people start getting banned.

Thanks.

The majority of people are doing it, and then there is a few who are doing my head in.

Sorry, if this is a passive aggressive jab at me. I thought it was a fairly generic question.

Fuck me guys, can you please start spoiler tagging shit or can people start getting banned.

Thanks.

The majority of people are doing it, and then there is a few who are doing my head in.

Odah

Banned
Sorry if anyone here already did a comparison but the game is just too damn good to not to do one.

Alien: Nostromo:

Alien Isolation: Sevestapol:

Alien: Dining Hall of Nostromo

Alien Isolation: Dining Hall of Torres

Alien: Nostromo Medical Station

Alien Isolation: Torres Medical Station

Alien: Hypersleep Chamber

Alien Isolation: Hypersleep Chamber

Alien: Nostromo Bridge

Alien Isolation: Torres Bridge

I know some are not the best comparison shots but the game is just amazingly detailed + I saw the movie on TV a few days ago so every location of the movie is still fresh in mind. Absolutely stunning.

+ one more awesome shot

DxZy0k6.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The title screen was awesome the first time I saw it.

I've been through it a handful of times since then and I didn't pay much attention. Today, however, I looked at it and had a "whoa, space" moment. It's a super effective show-don't-tell version of "in space no one can hear you scream".

Those screenshot comparisons above are amazing! I love the Alien films, and to see the attention to detail that CA put into this game is very impressive.

Part of me really wants to get this game, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to horror games. I couldn't play Outlast for more than an hour with headphones on (I eventually did beat it, but I played with the volume low so I didn't have a heart attack). I feel like the sound is so essential to this game though, so I might have to suck it up and play with headphones on at night.

Reading the impressions in this thread has really tempted me into getting this. I saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look, and while some aspects seemed frustrating, it's still very appealing to me. I have been playing so many racing games lately that I feel like I need a change of pace.

bitoriginal

Those screenshot comparisons above are amazing! I love the Alien films, and to see the attention to detail that CA put into this game is very impressive.

Part of me really wants to get this game, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to horror games. I couldn't play Outlast for more than an hour with headphones on (I eventually did beat it, but I played with the volume low so I didn't have a heart attack). I feel like the sound is so essential to this game though, so I might have to suck it up and play with headphones on at night.

Reading the impressions in this thread has really tempted me into getting this. I saw the Giant Bomb Quick Look, and while some aspects seemed frustrating, it's still very appealing to me. I have been playing so many racing games lately that I feel like I need a change of pace.

Dude, definitely get it if you're an Alien fan. I'm not into survival horror games at all, but this relies way more on tension and suspense rather than jump scares and weird shit. It's scary but it's not scary.

Okay CA i'd love a sequel to this game with a RPG twist. Keep the same gameplay but I think it would be awesome to have some perhaps (minor) RPG elements to the game.

ViviOggi

Go for it, seriously. While I can see people with low tolerance for failure getting frustrated the difficulty and saving system haven't been an issue for me outside of one specific, terribly designed encounter in the very beginning of the game. If you don't mind dying a bunch of times in, say, the Souls games, you'll be fine. There are few cheap, unavoidable deaths, if any.

Also keep in mind that no game is nearly as frustrating as Brad makes it look like.

Dude, definitely get it if you're an Alien fan. I'm not into survival horror games at all, but this relies way more on tension and suspense rather than jump scares and weird shit. It's scary but it's not scary.

Alright, I'm sold! Thanks for clearing that up for me, that's one of the reasons I hated Outlast was because of all the jump scares. Glad to hear this game doesn't rely on those.

Played just under two hours of the game last night, CA really nailed the feel of that first film. I spend a bunch of time just walking around the Torrens seeing all the nods to the Nostromo.

Game surprisingly feels more like Bio/SystemShock with how much I've been exploring the environment than what I've seen of games like Outlast. Does Isolation keep up that impression after you've met the Alien or does the exploration side of things take a hit once you have the Xeno running around?

strafer

Oh shit, the Alien actually drops down and wanna play.

Something hilarious though, seeing this big ass guy walking around searching for you.

I always figured they were on all fours.

Go for it, seriously. While I can see people with low tolerance for failure getting frustrated the difficulty and saving system haven't been an issue for me outside of one specific, terribly designed encounter in the very beginning of the game. If you don't mind dying a bunch of times in, say, the Souls games, you'll be fine. There are few cheap, unavoidable deaths, if any.

Also keep in mind that no game is nearly as frustrating as Brad makes it look like.

Haha this is very true. I sometimes roll my eyes watching the Giant Bomb guys play as they tend to make some games look much harder than they actually are. I only watched this Quick Look because I wanted to get a sense for the atmosphere, and also to get a look at the Alien A.I.

HelloMeow

Haha I just threw a noise maker next to a couple of people. The alien immediately came out of the ceiling and started killing one of them. The other guy ran towards me and hid behind the box in front of me.

The alien didn't know where he was, until I banged my wrench against the wall. It ran towards the noise and found the other guy first! It completely ignored me.

EGM1966

Played just under two hours of the game last night, CA really nailed the feel of that first film. I spend a bunch of time just walking around the Torrens seeing all the nods to the Nostromo.

Game surprisingly feels more like Bio/SystemShock with how much I've been exploring the environment than what I've seen of games like Outlast. Does Isolation keep up that impression after you've met the Alien or does the exploration side of things take a hit once you have the Xeno running around?

Exploration does become more challenging when Alien is patrolling. I'm pretty sure I've missed a few rooms and the like as a result of avoiding unnecessary exploration. Technically if you're happy to take risks and use diversions I'm sure everywhere is explorable but for sure at times it won't be possible unless you're willing to make a real effort to do so.

As an example at a point where I'd saved and it seemed Alien wasn't around at all I decided to backtrack and explore a previous area while the coast was clear before heading forward with the game; well bugger me the Alien merrily returned to the area I backtracked to and quite happily invited me to a fresh game of hide and seek if I wanted to check back to some rooms/doors I hadn't checked.

Sephzilla

I just got through the first real
Working Joe
segment. Honestly, what terrified me more was
checking my motion tracker and seeing something move that was way too fast to actually be a Working Joe. Followed by the sound of something thumping through the vents

This fucking game has me so on edge, I love it.

Exploration does become more challenging when Alien is patrolling. I'm pretty sure I've missed a few rooms and the like as a result of avoiding unnecessary exploration. Technically if you're happy to take risks and use diversions I'm sure everywhere is explorable but for sure at times it won't be possible unless you're willing to make a real effort to do so.

As an example at a point where I'd saved and it seemed Alien wasn't around at all I decided to backtrack and explore a previous area while the coast was clear before heading forward with the game; well bugger me the Alien merrily returned to the area I backtracked to and quite happily invited me to a fresh game of hide and seek if I wanted to check back to some rooms/doors I hadn't checked.

That doesn't sound too bad, as long as I have the option to roam around I don't mind if it's under distress. I was a bit worried all the exploration was going to be front-loaded in the game.

Thanks!

ICPEE

Haha I just threw a noise maker next to a couple of people. The alien immediately came out of the ceiling and started killing one of them. The other guy ran towards me and hid behind the box in front of me.

The alien didn't know where he was, until I banged my wrench against the wall. It ran towards the noise and found the other guy first! It completely ignored me.
Lol

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm pretty sure at this point the Alien itself is my greatest weapon against people.

Just throw a noisemaker and call it a day. While you hide of course.

ICPEE

I'm pretty sure at this point the Alien itself is my greatest weapon against people.

Just throw a noisemaker and call it a day. While you hide of course.
What about the Androids. Will the Alien attack them if you lure him with a noisemaker or is it just humans it will take out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it's been answered but can you make multiple save files? A friend wants to try it out.

On PS4, you need to make a new account at the system level. On Steam, you may need to manually backup and replace save files.

Top Bottom