• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Kremzeek

What I want to know is if they improved the combat lag from earlier demos.

It's like every action you took in combat felt like it didn't happen at the button press, but rather a little bit .....*after*.

It was maddening and many other players felt it too.

I'm just glad there are solid release dates these days that are easily relayed to the public - delayed or no.

I remember walking into a Babbages in early October '94 just to look at the FFIII SNES box, only for the clerk to be like "You know we are getting that game in our Friday shipment, right?"

Flipped the fuck out. Didn't know when the damn game was actually coming out, so that was an amazing surprise. ;)

Rappy

What I want to know is if they improved the combat lag from earlier demos.

It's like every action you took in combat felt like it didn't happen at the button press, but rather a little bit .....*after*.

It was maddening and many other players felt it too.
They have, pretty much all previews in the last month say it has been improved.

wmlk

I'm completely convinced that they'll realize the potential of a road trip story and the car. I was really worried about them just driving to their destination and making it look aimless, but them entering Duscae and talking about the meteorite was so good. And then they drop off for a bit to take a picture, and when they get back to the car they start talking about what they saw noticed when taking the picture was awesome. They can really feel like conversations too. Good stuff.

Mcdohl

The final quote is hype.

Square Enix has a lot riding on this game, and despite all odds, FFXV just might be able to shoulder those impossible expectations.

It also points out that Leide is truly desolate, which I hope it's not entirely true for all of Eos.

...the desert that comprises FFXV's opening houds feels like, well, a desert. Leide consists of vast tracts of nothing, with only the occasional resource-gathering point popping in from time to time to keep the map from looking completely empty.

It then contradicts itself a bit though?

And, incidentally, I could have finished the game's first chapter in far fewer than six hours. But FFXV really sets you loose once the introduction has rolled, and I've spent most of my time wandering the wastes in search of hidden quests (there are a few!), secret fishing spots (I found a doozy tucked away in some ruins), completing monster hunts (and there are still quite a few in this region that are well beyond my team's current capabilities), and generally just seeing where I can go (basically anywhere that isn't walled off).

orioto

Good Art™
I'm still trying to motivate myself and i see those long unbearable messy fights... I can't just play that game with those battles...

Square Enix needs this one to be great no matter what. They need a new flag ship entry, after trying to force FF13 and 13-X down people's thoarts. In a attempt to restart the series into next gen. Now there hasn't been a good standalone title since XII and even that's debate-able. Fact of matter is the series most definitely is not where it once was.

But it seems like the long wait will pay off big time for them. Maybe this will be another Final, Fantasy for the ages?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It sounds like this game is set to greatly exceed my expectations. This is such a huge relief. I can't wait to enjoy a week off of work and play this on PS4 Pro :)

Koozek

Yeah. Considering my wife and I just passed 300 hours playing XCX (and broke 100 in the first game), this sounds like an appropriate follow-up.
79sSO39.gif

Mailbox

That gif will never not be funny.
Reminds me so much of Mark Wahlberg's "what.... no" from the happening XD

I also hope that the same people calling this game's combat boring aren't the same people who praise ff12. I will call you out on that!

Rappy

I'm still trying to motivate myself and i see those long unbearable messy fights... I can't just play that game with those battles...
Is this from watching the Polygon vid? Other videos did this too I guess. Red enemy level means "not recommended". And I guess some will just be long and messy no matter what if they suck at the game.

That gif will never not be funny.
Reminds me so much of Mark Wahlberg's "what.... no" from the happening XD

I also hope that the same people calling this game's combat boring aren't the same people who praise ff12. I will call you out on that!
Aw let them have their opinions

Xii combat is ass

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

No — there's stuff to do, but it's spread across a lot of desert and demands you take the time to hunt it all down. Not everything is given to you by map informants, so it doesn't feel like the Ubisoft "follow the checklist" approach. Stuff like hidden fishing points and incidental side quests don't appear on the map until you find them through exploration.

The final quote is hype.

It also points out that Leide is truly desolate, which I hope it's not entirely true for all of Eos.

It's just saying what Tabata has been saying forever: the game is going to have lots of big open areas, and it will have stuff to do, but it won't be packed such that over every hill is another location/question mark thing like in say, Skyrim or Witcher 3.

Koozek

Or any FF since FFIV at least, honestly^^ Just started replaying FFVII. Few hours in and outside of boss battles I'm still not doing anything but attack, attack, attack, attack, heal, attack, attack... Calling FFXV's combat boring in comparison is silly.

Wagram

Hopefully the mid to late game holds up well. I'll happily admit that I was wrong about how it would turn out. Nothing would make me happier. Going linear in the 2nd half actually excites me more than if it were the opposite.

Kouriozan

It still hurts seeing Versus XIII gameplay, I loved the idea of it being more like Kingdom Hearts, and it felt like it was much better than what I played/saw.

Personally it's the lack of real magic/spell that worried me and still is.
Magic being reduced to some grenade stuff is faaaaaar from being interesting.

KeRaSh

giphy.gif

Oh boy. I won't lie. I had my doubts.
When has a game ever delivered after being in development for such a long time?
Now show us what the Pro version will look like! I can't take the wait anymore!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure it will be a great open world game now.

Now, my only hope is that there are more fantastical environments, and great story beats. I want it to get mysterious and magical like the best FFs always do.

Unlike the battle systems from previous Final Fantasy games, FFXV take cues from action games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, by allowing you to switch weapons mid-combo, giving you the ability to string together custom combos. Each weapon type you can brandish is distinct, providing its own special attack animations. While not as technical as a hardcore action game, the complexity of combat still feels satisfying and refined.

Nice compliment

Saladinoo

Thank. Christ.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me that have been waiting for a good Final Fantasy game since the masterpiece that was X. WE FINALLY GOT IT.

Top Bottom