• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

All this good footage and praise from the press is like a breath of fresh air after dealing with the awful promotion this game has gotten for the past couple years.

Falk

that puzzling face
In case anyone cares, we've got some HQ videos from the first few hours of the game. Nothing exciting in terms of content, but quality should be the best for this game yet :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ffxv_videos_maison-18486_en.html

(Also our podcast with our impressions from these few hours)

lwT5PKW.jpg

Cheers.

edit: Yeah yeah ruined by imgur artifacting go away :mad:

I remember walking into a Babbages

Surprised-montage.gif

Wow, I haven't heard the name Babbages in over a decade! I used to be a manager at a GameStop and I remember when they bought Babbages/Software Etc.

I miss those days. I remember going to my mall-of-choice [which on average, is usually not within an hour of where you live ;)] and there was an Electronics Boutique on one end and a Babbages at the other. I would always let them try to win me over; where if both stores had the game I wanted, I would go to both of them and see which one I could get the best free/extra stuff from, like a poster, LE item, etc. It was kind of like "Last Man Standing" [which, by the way - is a remake of Sergio Leone's "For A Few Dollars More" starring Clint Eastwood, but that's besides the point.]

I'm talking about the early PlayStation days and even before that - like Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo - man, those were the great times, the salad days.

This post haz 'da feels.

empty.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
cant you just stand on the campsite if you dont want the weapon wheel this isnt rocket surgery

YaBish

I'm loving these previews. This game keeps trying to hook me, before something comes out that makes me waffle on getting it or not. I'll most likely get this further down the road if it reviews well and the user impressions are solid. Just too many games coming out at the end of the year here for me to spend my time sinking into this world.

.JayZii

Banned
CvIxj7TWYAA1H-P.jpg

Aw shit.

Awww shit.

One more S-Link level up and we can hug in Noctis' room.
Gladio: "I want to protect you because... I... I like you. You know?" *blushes*

*Gladiolus' Survival skill has reached max level. He and Noctis now share a private tent.*

JayBabay

So considering Square Enix's track record I completely agree with the people in the Polygon thread that are encouraging people to keep hype in check considering how much it has screwed us over in the past with really good previews and reviews but a really underwhelming reception with players.

However, seeing the outpouring of these overwhelmingly positive previews across multiple outlets for a game that has had fairly mixed previews thus far should actually be telling and I think is hype worthy. Any other game that gets hyped from inception to release I understand, but this game has had a very rocky past and no one has let them get away with it, so I do feel these previews are genuine.

Gbraga

Oh is that what you think fade to black means...

They used all of their fade to black stock in Kingsglaive though, so they'll have to show us everything.

Gladio: "I want to protect you because... I... I like you. You know?" *blushes*

*Gladiolus' Survival skill has reached max level. He and Noctis now share a private tent.*

This is so cute! D:

*Special Costume NAKED GLADIO unlocked*

Rappy

Gamescom 2016:

Gamespot preview build:

Different time of day though. ;)
I've gotta say, you really need to stop using Gamespot's screens/footage for comparison as their capture device is crap in the first place. There is definitely a difference you can tell between the builds but people actually believe that the blurriness is how the game would appear on their display.

So considering Square Enix's track record I completely agree with the people in the Polygon thread that are encouraging people to keep hype in check considering how much it has screwed us over in the past with really good previews and reviews but a really underwhelming reception with players.

However, seeing the outpouring of these overwhelmingly positive previews across multiple outlets for a game that has had fairly mixed previews thus far should actually be telling and I think is hype worthy. Any other game that gets hyped from inception to release I understand, but this game has had a very rocky past and no one has let them get away with it, so I do feel these previews are genuine.
No it hasn't

Tyaren

I've gotta say, you really need to stop using Gamespot's screens/footage for comparison as their capture device is crap in the first place. There is definitely a difference you can tell between the builds but people actually believe that the blurriness is how the game would appear on their display.

Come on, everyone knows Youtube compresses the image heavily and the actual game will not look that blurry. At least I am doing these screen comparisons for people who actually are aware of that. ;)

I feel like you're obligated to put a winky face in 65% of your posts. :V

Leave me be!
;)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
LOL @ trusting positive previews which are meant to hype fans up. That is a preview's sole purpose, it's basically an ad. Remember all the positive buzz about Bioshock Infinite? Now everyone hates that game. Some of you are getting yourselves really hyped up and I fear you're in for a disappointment. Just keep your expectations in check is all I'm saying.

FFXV isn't going to hit 90+ on Metacritic. Bookmark me.

Wow, I haven't heard the name Babbages in over a decade! I used to be a manager at a GameStop and I remember when they bought Babbages/Software Etc.

EB/Babbages was pretty synonymous with gaming for me in the 90's. There wasn't one close to me, about an hour away in a mall so every time I'd go it would be like walking into gaming heaven as the other alternative was Walmart.

LOL @ trusting positive previews which are meant to hype fans up. That is a preview's sole purpose, it's basically an ad. Remember all the positive buzz about Bioshock Infinite? Now everyone hates that game. Some of you are getting yourselves really hyped up and I fear you're in for a disappointment. Just keep your expectations in check is all I'm saying.

Bioshock Infinite was awesome, try again :p

Ran rp

Come on, everyone knows Youtube compresses the image heavily and the actual game will not look that blurry. At least I am doing these screen comparisons for people who actually are aware of that. ;)

be aware of the consoles they're captured from :p

Why do you care tho is what I don't get its alright to be pessimistic but when everybody wants to be positive ppl wanna start preaching

Mcdohl

Bioshock Infinite has MC of 90+ though?

Rappy

They don't know it. And other site's footage is no where near as bad as Gamespot's. In the last thread where the improvements were first seen you compared Polygon's footage to Gamespot's. And people believed that the "vaseline" look was actually part of the game. Comparisons are fine, but it's like comparing cellphone footage offscreen to a top of the line capture card (hyperbole, I know).

Aters

But Bioshock Infinity did. And what do you mean by "everyone hates Bioshock Infinity"? Who's everyone?

That is not the intention of a preview. For the developer and the publisher, maybe, but certainly not the intention of the person doing the preview. The preview being the opening 15 hours of the game warrants to take these previews very seriously.

On a separate note, I really liked Bioshock Infinite.

But this isn't like other previews where the journalist is getting a small sliver of the game. they're getting a very large chunk of the game. There's no reason to dismiss these impressions because "lol previews."

Edit: People using MGSV, Bioshock Infinite, and other great games when referring to previews really aren't helping their case.

Granjinha

man i'm honestly shocked at how much better the final game is looking, holy shit

dat delay

Bioshock Infinite is great, though. It has it's flaws, but it's great.

Ishida

Banned

Bioshock Infinite is a great game, though. You should try harder. :)

Roubjon

PSY・S;220732933 said:

This impresses me in a way video games haven't yet. I'm going into FFXV basically spoiler free, but I'm glad I saw this gif. How often do you see your allies resting? And chilling out? That never happens in games.

Tyaren

6iWAe1i.jpg

Sshhhh!

I actually believe that rock is...
The tip of the gigantic adamantoise's shell. Somewhere the adamantoise has to suddenly appear from and this rock looks suspiciouslydifferent from all the other rock formations in the Leide desert.

Top Bottom