• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

ViciousDS

Banned
PSY・S;220732933 said:
hdpfxu.gif

I am so fucking excited just to see the animations and beautiful landscapes just by driving. This game has just so many fucking tiny details that really catch your eye

Watched that Polygon video. Game is looking great, can't wait for it to release. The only problem that I had with it was that one scene with Gladio and Noctis towards the end. The voice acting in that scene sounded really bad. It's kinda making me want to play the game with JP voices.

Anyway, all the good impressions on combat are particularly welcome.

wmlk

This impresses me in a way video games haven't yet. I'm going into FFXV basically spoiler free, but I'm glad I saw this gif. How often do you see your allies resting? And chilling out? That never happens in games.

A lot. Dunno how much more I can say/show without spoiling little moments in the game. I think it's better to experience them for yourself if you're trying to avoid footage. It happens pretty seamlessly within the game flow.

Wensih

Well, this quote certainly won't attract people that like to shit on XCX :D

I'm so excited for FF15. I think it's going to blow everyone away. The epic singleplayer GOTY-contender that Witcher was last year.

People like to shit on XCX for its absentee plot, confusing menus and user interface, and terrible music, not the slow nature of the game. There are plenty of people who thought XC was great, but did not like XCX.

Man, these impressions and that PDP video of The Last Guardian have me so pumped for both games. They're finally here! Releasing the same week!

Toth

People like to shit on XCX for its absentee plot, confusing menus and user interface, and terrible music, not the slow nature of the game. There are plenty of people who thought XC was great, but did not like XCX.

OMG You described my view of that game perfectly in one sentence.

Rappy

From watching the gamersyde vids, it looks like they didn't change any of the subtitles to match the voicing. Not that I expected them to, but it would have been nice, or at least just the names.

I think I'm happiest to see the positive responses in regards to the world itself, the Destructoid comments were great to see. The little character moments sound great, too. I saw Noctis trying to catch a frog on Maku's Twitter, and it was too damn cute. I'm looking forward to seeing more previews!

I think I'm happiest to see the positive responses in regards to the world itself, the Destructoid comments were great to see. The little character moments sound great, too. I saw Noctis trying to catch a frog on Maku's Twitter, and it was too damn cute. I'm looking forward to seeing more previews!

Can i change his name to Quina?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Why do you care tho is what I don't get its alright to be pessimistic but when everybody wants to be positive ppl wanna start preaching

Optimism is nice and all but do people need to constantly throw great games like FFVIII and the FFXIII trilogy under the bus in order to prop up FFXV which hasn't even officially proven itself yet? Nothing indicates Final Fantasy is back to it's old position as "king", I don't see FFXV doing Grand Theft Auto, or even Naughty Dog numbers.

That is not the intention of a preview. For the developer and the publisher, maybe, but certainly not the intention of the person doing the preview. The preview being the opening 15 hours of the game warrants to take these previews very seriously.

On a separate note, I really liked Bioshock Infinite.

But this isn't like other previews where the journalist is getting a small sliver of the game. they're getting a very large chunk of the game. There's no reason to dismiss these impressions because "lol previews."

Edit: People using MGSV, Bioshock Infinite, and other great games when referring to previews really aren't helping their case.

The problem is, the preview is of what will probably be the best part of the game. Remember how in FFVII, everyone's fondest memory is the opening hours in Midgar up until escaping the city? From comments by the devs about the game becoming more closed off in the 2nd half, and some leaked spoilers, XV might go off the rails in the 2nd half. Look at how bad Kingsglaive turned out, it has a 13% on rottentomatoes and is one of the worst reviewed films of 2016. Not a good sign when a good story is a huge focus in this series.
dbUgjcJ.gif

Bioshock Infinite is a great game, though. You should try harder. :)

But Bioshock Infinity did. And what do you mean by "everyone hates Bioshock Infinity"? Who's everyone?

Look @ any thread about Infinite on here. The love for that game is long gone. I suspect that the backlash for all the easy scores tossed towards that mediocre game (and a few others in recent years) is why so many games are reviewing lower this year such as big series like Gears of War 4 only hitting the 80s for example. Final Fantasy XV will hit 85 on Metacritic, 87 if I'm being REALLY generous in my prediction.

Ishida

Banned
Look @ any thread about Infinite on here. The love for that game is long gone. I suspect that the backlash for all the easy scores tossed towards that mediocre game (and a few others in recent years) is why so many games are reviewing lower this year such as big series like Gears of War 4 only hitting the 80s for example. Final Fantasy XV will hit 85 on Metacritic, 87 if I'm being REALLY generous in my prediction.

GAF is a TERRIBLE place for judging the quality of games, though. This is one of the most hyperbolic forums I've ever been in.

Rappy

The problem is, the preview is of what will probably be the best part of the game. Remember how in FFVII, everyone's fondest memory is the opening hours in Midgar up until escaping the city? From comments by the devs about the game becoming more closed off in the 2nd half, and some leaked spoilers, XV might go off the rails in the 2nd half. Look at how bad Kingsglaive turned out, it has a 13% on rottentomatoes and is one of the worst reviewed films of 2016. Not a good sign when a good story is a huge focus in this series.
Okay, stop. Regardless if the film is actually shit or not, do you even know how that score is calculated? And you're being incredibly hypocritical to bring up review scores as evidence and then denouncing things as bad that got good review scores.

Optimism is nice and all but do people need to constantly throw great games like FFVIII and the FFXIII trilogy under the bus in order to prop up FFXV which hasn't even officially proven itself yet? Nothing indicates Final Fantasy is back to it's old position as "king", I don't see FFXV doing Grand Theft Auto, or even Naughty Dog numbers.

dbUgjcJ.gif

Bruh whats wrong with you lmao. 85 is a great score.

Rappy

FFXIII got 82 and was pretty hated, i think thats his point

Not that it matters for better or worse FFXV looks the opposite of XIII
No, his point at least in that statement is reviewers are becoming more critical now because of the "backlash" of games such as XIII or Bioshock Infinite. Which doesn't make sense if he still thinks FFXV is going to rate 85 or 87, because those are still amazing scores and that means reviewers are perhaps not being more critical. Skepticism is fine. Being hopeful or hyped is fine. But context is always more important than blind hype or skepticism.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I'm completely skeptical about this game -- I hate everything I've seen and heard about the combat, the character designs bore me, I'm not the least bit into the 'bro road trip' vibe, etc. etc.

Having said that, I miss good Final Fantasy and I'd be absolutely overjoyed to be wrong about this game. Please Square-Enix, make me eat my words!

Top Bottom