• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Joe

How's the paperwhite for lazy-in-bed reading? I really love my kindle keyboard because I can lazily just thumb press the next page but having a light attachment on it really sucks.

This is going to sound absurd but constantly page swiping on the screen sounds like a pain in the ass especially since I use a pretty big font and page turn a lot.

SiDCrAzY

How's the paperwhite for lazy-in-bed reading? I really love my kindle keyboard because I can lazily just thumb press the next page but having a light attachment on it really sucks.

This is going to sound absurd but constantly page swiping on the screen sounds like a pain in the ass especially since I use a pretty big font and page turn a lot.

You don't have to swipe, you can just tap on the screen. Works great for lazy in bed reading in my experience.

Nymerio

My paperwhite gets kind of unresponsive/laggy sometimes. It usually fixes itself after I reboot. Still a bit annoying though.

SiDCrAzY

I've had both the Paperwhite 2 and the Voyage. The Voyage is definitely snappier, but just don't expect it to be as fast as an ipad or a comparable tablet, mainly due to the e ink screen, it wont be as fast.

I never experienced lag outside of the normal e ink "lag" with my Voyage and I think it rarely happened with my PW2. Though the experience will probably be different if you have a lot of books on your Kindle. I kept most of mine in Amazons cloud.

I liked my PW2 a lot, but the Voyage is just much smoother for me.

I've been wanting a Voyage but just a bit too pricey. However next round of Kindles are probably announced in September, released in October. I can wait until then to get the new one or grab last year's models for cheaper.

DagsJT

I upgraded to a Voyage from a PW1 but ended up returning it and getting a PW2. For how expensive if is, the slight increase in speed and resolution just wasnt worth it for me.

Been thinking about getting a Voyage once I've finished my backlog of paperbacks but have been reading that the Kindles have adverts and you have to pay to get them removed.
Is this right for the UK devices? I've read that it costs $20 to have them removed from US devices but no price for the UK.

Mindwipe

Been thinking about getting a Voyage once I've finished my backlog of paperbacks but have been reading that the Kindles have adverts and you have to pay to get them removed.
Is this right for the UK devices? I've read that it costs $20 to have them removed from US devices but no price for the UK.

The UK version is more expensive from the get-go because it doesn't have adverts, hence no price to do so.

In the US you can pick a version with subsidised prices if you accept ads, but we don't have that version.

The UK version is more expensive from the get-go because it doesn't have adverts, hence no price to do so.

In the US you can pick a version with subsidised prices if you accept ads, but we don't have that version.

Brilliant. Thank you very much.
Got about 8 books to get through first and imagine the next version will be out by the time I get through them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've had a Voyage for about 3 months and I haven't noticed any slowdowns or unresponsiveness.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

The ads on Kindle are a non issue imo. They only pop up when you're on the home page (they only appear at the very bottom and aren't intrusive at all) and when you shut the system off, where they act sort of like a screen saver.

Mindwipe

Brilliant. Thank you very much.
Got about 8 books to get through first and imagine the next version will be out by the time I get through them.

Sorry, I was wrong about this since the last time I looked - the ad discounted versions ARE now available in the UK. But the versions "without special offers" are the versions without ads.

(That said, my wife's American Kindle has the ads and they're not very intrusive).

Joe

If anyone comes across Paperwhite 2nd Gen deals because of this new model could you please post them here? I will do the same

ha, this comes out the week after I buy a Paperwhite. Now I'm wondering if I should send it back and grab the newer version seeing as it's only £10 more expensive.

yyzjohn

Banned
Source? Not doubting you, I'd just like to read about it.

According to Amazon, battery life hasn't changed in the new model -- it offers "weeks" of operation on a single charge. You get the same 1GHz processor, 4GB of built-in memory, and a bump up to 512MB of RAM from 256MB. There's no expansion slot for additional memory, but that 4GB allows you to store thousands of e-books.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-2015/

terrier

Kobo GLo HD or the new Paperwhite with 'HD' screen. Desicions! I already own a Kindle but also tired to convert many of my epubs to mobi, Kindle seems a safe bet but Kobo's seems more open to most ebook formats. Can i transfer my kindle books purchased from Amazon to the kobo or download them directly to it?

One thing that favours the kindle is having physical buttons to turn pages, which is handy in a number of scenarios .
Any advise?

yyzjohn

Banned
Kobo GLo HD or the new Paperwhite with 'HD' screen. Desicions! I already own a Kindle but also tired to convert many of my epubs to mobi, Kindle seems a safe bet but Kobo's seems more open to most ebook formats. Can i transfer my kindle books purchased from Amazon to the kobo or download them directly to it?

One thing that favours the kindle is having physical buttons to turn pages, which is handy in a number of scenarios .
Any advise?

The new Kindle Papwrwhite doesn't have physical turn buttons. The Voyage has pseudo page turn buttons if that's what you mean.

terrier

The new Kindle Papwrwhite doesn't have physical turn buttons. The Voyage has pseudo page turn buttons if that's what you mean.

oh, i thought it had both touch screen and lateral buttons. So Kobo Glo HD then. I guess there will be tools to convert my amazon books to work with the Kobo.

terrier

The Kobo Glo HD doesn't have buttons either does it?

No, it doesn't. Touch based interface. Only a power button at the top of the device. Having buttons to skip pages was a plus on kindle devices, but if the new paperwhite doesn't have them, i see no real advantage over the kobo.

Nymerio

Stupid question, but I don't follow the Kindle stuff too closely: Do the upgrades mean that there won't be a new model this year?

yyzjohn

Banned
Ah, ok. I'm actually hoping for a Paperwhite upgrade because I find the price of the voyage kind of ridiculous :|

I bit the bullet and ordered the Voyage. My kindle 4 has lasted me almost 4 years so I figure a premium Kindle should last me a long time as long as I take care of it.

Cheebo

Banned
Ah, ok. I'm actually hoping for a Paperwhite upgrade because I find the price of the voyage kind of ridiculous :|

The Paperwhite just got a new model this week. They won't upgrade it twice in one year. The improved PPI is a pretty solid upgrade.

What we got is the 2015 model Paperwhite. The external design is even slightly different than the 2014 Paperwhite, the logo was changed a bit on the front and back.

Hell, this update is bigger than the gen 2 Paperwhite was to gen 1 Paperwhite.

Hell, this update is bigger than the gen 2 Paperwhite was to gen 1 Paperwhite.

Yeah the Paperwhite 2 was more of a software update than hardware. Slightly faster, better contrast, and different touch sensors and LEDs. Not a huge jump.

Paperwhite 3 has a higher resolution, and more RAM. The resolution will make a big difference. More software changes too. I can't wait for the new font and layout engine.

Yeah the Paperwhite 2 was more of a software update than hardware. Slightly faster, better contrast, and different touch sensors and LEDs. Not a huge jump.

Paperwhite 3 has a higher resolution, and more RAM. The resolution will make a big difference. More software changes too. I can't wait for the new font and layout engine.

PW2 had a faster processor (25% faster processor, bumped to 1 GHz), too, and eventually more storage (from 2GB to 4GB). Edit: It was the original PW that saw the bump to 4GB.

The PW3 is a pretty huge upgrade from a PW1. I'll still wait to see what they do with the Voyage this year, but the new Paperwhite may be all I need in an ereader.

Top Bottom