• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD designing an x86 or ARM chip for a "game console" to be introduced 2016

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It doesn't say which of the x86 or ARM is for gaming. It could very well be an ARM for the next Nintendo handheld.

inki

The Nu Nintendo Wii 3-4U

tumblr_m7cmtob9fI1qjsrqoo1_500.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If it's Nintendo, what are the chances that the design will be used in two configurations for their next handheld and their next home console? It would make much sense to use the same design with differently sized CPU/GPU configurations. Mobile and desktop technology are converging anyway.

Hip Hop

It doesn't say which of the x86 or ARM is for gaming. It could very well be an ARM for the next Nintendo handheld.

Yeah,

I totally expect for Nintendo to release that handheld in 2016.

The "New" 3DS seems like a stop-gap to get to that point.

The DSi was around 2 years as well before the 3DS dropped.

Javin98

Banned
Please for the love of God not be an Apple console. It will probably be overpriced with relatively(price-wise) underperforming hardware

Oregano

If it's Nintendo, what are the chances that the design will be used in two configurations for their next handheld and their next home console? It would make much sense to use the same design with differently sized CPU/GPU configurations. Mobile and desktop technology are converging anyway.

That's what Iwata has hinted at and if they are going for that then AMD is the most likely vendor because they already produce the GPUs for Nintendo's home consoles.

I think 2016 is too early for Nintendo.

They need as much time as possible to shift their focus on the next console and prepare an adequate launch lineup. The 2015 Wii U release schedule is chock-full of big budget games, I doubt they're already going to end its life.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They need as much time as possible to shift their focus on the next console and prepare an adequate launch lineup.

They could improve their launch lineup with cross-platform games and remasters, and maybe – maybe – with regained third-party support if they get the message and provide software development tools that do not suck from the start. A 2016 console should rival the PS4/XBO, even if it's aimed at the low-cost segment.

Oregano

Right, I just wanted to throw the other possibility out there too since I don't think anyone expects Sony or Microsoft to shift then, so Nintendo would be the first guess of most people.

Yeah I would say Alibaba is the strong second possibility but there are quite a few reasons to think it's Nintendo's next handheld.

On that note maybe the title should be changed to reflect that it could easily be the ARM based chip.

big_z

Its not Nintendo. miyamoto just said they were still in the pre-planning stages of throwing around general ideas of what a next console could be.
Nintendo also just had a job opening for the mark cerny position. It took cerny a few years to birth out the ps4 so unless Nintendo hired someone that designed the new system on a napkin while taking a dump I'd put my money else where.

Sounds cool, but could someone explain the benefits of the ARM design vs x86 if it's connected to Nintendo's next handheld & console?

Would ARM work for Nintendo like some kind of a modern PPC, lots of performance with less power needed?

Oregano

Its not Nintendo. miyamoto just said they were still in the pre-planning stages of throwing around general ideas of what a next console could be.
Nintendo also just had a job opening for the mark cerny position. It took cerny a few years to birth out the ps4 so unless Nintendo hired someone that designed the new system on a napkin while taking a dump I'd put my money else where.

2016 will be five year after the launch of the 3DS. It will be due a successor.

Sounds cool, but could someone explain the benefits of the ARM design vs x86 if it's connected to Nintendo's next handheld & console?

Would ARM work for Nintendo like some kind of a modern PPC, lots of performance with less power needed?

Nintendo's handhelds are already ARM based(which is why they're backwards compatible) and x86 apparently doesn't scale down very well.

Chris1

Has to be the new Nintendo handheld. 2016 lines right up with when I'd expect a new one. On top of that, next year's 3ds lineup looks bare.

Why would Apple build a dedicated gaming console? Their business relies on high hardware profit margins, which isn't something that typically happens in the console space.

patientx

Definately nintendo. This is good in a way : now all three consoles will have the same arh probably so porting games etc will be really easier.

Zalman

My bet is on Nintendo too, but not necessarily for a home console. Sounds like the right time for the 3DS successor.

Miyamato just stated they are basically in the planning stages for their next console. So theres little chance within 2 years they will be ready with a new console.

They are stuck with the Wii U for awhile I think.

Top Bottom